Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Winter is coming up, and for me at Nondescript Homeless Services Provider that means two things. Our clients are gonna be coming in with burns (because their camp caught on fire. and more of our clients are gonna be asking for tents (nobody donates tents and even if they did the cops and city council would cry at us all day.) I've been looking for campfire safety print-outs, but it turns out the Informational Safety Flyer Industry mostly markets to literal children, or uses tiny text.
Half our clients either need glasses, have a severe learning disability or both. Even ignoring that, admin is gonna wanna know why we printed out entire pages of solid colored ink.

I could turn to a professional printer, but that's gonna be out of pocket, and we're just gonna end up having to print it back out again in a couple of weeks when it gets ripped up. Help me with your skills, c-spam. What I'm hoping to get is something that's meets our clients needs while remaining economical to print out repeatedly.

- Cheap to print. Our budget isn't great and ink usage is a concern.

- Easy to read. Our clients do not have access to reliable eye care. If they even have glasses, they're likely not gonna be in pristine shape.

- Simple english. Education is a privilege.

- look good idk what this is gonna look like while still fitting in the other criteria lol

a gangtag or something for prizes i guess idk we'll figure it out guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's some good examples

It's kinda cute, it's simple, it's concise. Anyone with a 5th grade education can figure out what this is about at a glance.

smokey is gonna murder you in your sleep if you don't douse those coals, citizen

that's it, that's all I could find

Pomp has issued a correction as of 03:06 on Sep 24, 2019

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
If tent donations are a nonstarter, could you put out a community request for trenching shovel donations?

They're pretty small and luggable, they'd allow your clients to dig out fire pits and cover/dirt douse their fires when they want/need them to go out. That would address a number of Smokey's concerns.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Dick posted:

If tent donations are a nonstarter, could you put out a community request for trenching shovel donations?

They're pretty small and luggable, they'd allow your clients to dig out fire pits and cover/dirt douse their fires when they want/need them to go out. That would address a number of Smokey's concerns.

At the risk of sounding defeatist, we do community requests every month and I'm still excited when I see a single pair of size 12 shoes and a small bag of lotions in my donations. We could probably convince FD or the park rangers to donate a few our way, but that's all we could reasonably expect.

Please just donate cash to a local provider instead of asking where to send me lotion and shoes, yes i'm talking to you

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Pomp posted:

Please just donate cash to a local provider instead of asking where to send me lotion and shoes, yes i'm talking to you

Like Mr. Dick would ever do anything to benefit his fellow man. Any army surplus stores in your area? Given how many unsheltered are traditionally vets, that might be a decent inroad to free shovels.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I’ll take the lotion.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
srsly tho, I know gently caress all about fire safety but I could help make the thing if other people know the right words.

do you want something in color or is B&W better?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

N. Senada posted:

srsly tho, I know gently caress all about fire safety but I could help make the thing if other people know the right words.

Lucky for you, I know about fire safety but not graphic design! Feel free to edit this.

So You Want to Build a Fire and Not Die

1. Keep your area clear.
Take 3 big steps from where you want to build your fire. Imagine a circle around the fire with where you are as the outside. Don't allow anything except the fire inside that circle. If there's trash or debris in that area pick it up. If there's trees grass or bushes, choose a different location.

2. Keep Water Nearby
Fill a bucket with water and keep it nearby in case the fire gets out of control. When you're finished with your fire throw the water on the fire to put it out.

3. Only use wood, plants, or paper for your fire.
Other items such as plastic makes your fire unpredictable and much harder to put out. Trash should be disposed of in trash cans, not thrown into the fire.

4. Snap, Crackle, Pop- Great for Cereal, Bad for fires.
Some wood or plants don't like to burn. If you hear a crackling sound after you put a plant or branch on a fire, that means its what one of those types. Make a note of what kind it was and don't use it again.

5. Pay Attention to the Wind
Embers from fire can travel on the wind and set other things on fire. Keep your tent, your extra firewood and anything flammable you own upwind of the fire and outside the circle. An easy way to tell the direction of the wind is to tie a string to your finger and notice which way the string blows. The opposite direction is the safest place for your tent.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

N. Senada posted:

Color is best. If it's not it might as well be invisible, speaking from experience. Big Fluffy Dog nailed the essentials, most of what else you would find is gonna boil down to that.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made this pretty quickly but let me know if this helps Pomp

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

I'm not in anyway artistic so I can't contribute much to this thread, but I like your design!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

Item number 4 and 5 have the same text, just fyi.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo my bad I’ll fix it later today

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay, here's the fixed version. Had to make the text 12pt instead of 14pt, but hopefully that's still legible.

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 21:54 on Sep 24, 2019

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I’ll have time this evening to make something bit I don’t think it’ll be any better than what was already posted tbh

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Taintrunner posted:

Okay, here's the fixed version. Had to make the text 12pt instead of 14pt, but hopefully that's still legible.

I made a typo in 4. It should be "that means its one of those types." Not "that means its what one of those types." Looks great though.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
here's a big rear end transparent png with some quick illustrations of each of the 5 points if anyone is interested

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

Oh hell yeah, that's almost there. I like the color palette! The smaller text is going to be illegible for a lot of my clients though. If we cut out a a few sentences and upped the font size to like 16 minimum it would help a lot!

Al! posted:

here's a big rear end transparent png with some quick illustrations of each of the 5 points if anyone is interested

Illustrations are great! #4 is cute!

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Please have a cartoon cloud with rosy (blue) cheeks making the wind

larper
Apr 9, 2019
I really like this idea, I'm going to ask the Coalition to End Homelessness that is right next tomy office if they have any resources

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Here, I upped the font size a bit. I wasn't sure what sentences to cut so I mostly kept them as-is.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'd like to iterate that in some places, water is not available, so in the case that it is not, it is key to inform folks that you can smother the fire with sand or dirt and achieve the same effect as dousing with water

it's still acting on the fire tetrahedron by denying the fire the oxygen it needs to propagate, so it should be included as well

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
You might want to include a reminder to not burn stuff in enclosed places.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

this is meant for more recreational camping but Smokey himself has a website with info in short text snippets and ideograms which you could probably adapt
https://smokeybear.com/en/prevention-how-tos/campfire-safety

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

this is meant for more recreational camping but Smokey himself has a website with info in short text snippets and ideograms which you could probably adapt
https://smokeybear.com/en/prevention-how-tos/campfire-safety

Lmbo of course the website is closer to what I'm looking for than any of their flyers

Mr. Dick posted:

You might want to include a reminder to not burn stuff in enclosed places.

Absolutely! We've managed to avoid any carbon monoxide deaths, but it's still something we occasionally catch guests admitting to in conversation. It's especially common with folks doing the have sanitizer method, which fortunately I'm guessing isn't strong enough to kill you, but we still have folks lose belongings to them, especially those with children.

My Photoshop skills aren't great, but I'm gonna work on some mockups later during D&D

edit:this super dirty thing that took 2 hours lol

I know it can seem goofy, but we try to keep things to at a middle school level when we're making basic event flyers. I'm surprised by guests asking me to define language we'd take for basic a lot, not even necessarily things that came out of my mouth.

Pomp has issued a correction as of 21:56 on Sep 27, 2019

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

the eternal struggle between white space and font size

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Is nobody else focused on buff shirtless smokey in the OP?!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pomp posted:

I know it can seem goofy, but we try to keep things to at a middle school level when we're making basic event flyers. I'm surprised by guests asking me to define language we'd take for basic a lot, not even necessarily things that came out of my mouth.

i used to do a bit of easyread english translation for people with english as a second language or with learning disabilities, and yeah, there's so many habits of language that many people take for granted but that can totally gently caress up someone not used to them. biggest example is putting stuff in the passive voice.

advice i always got for ensuring maximum takeup was basically:

• max 15 words to a sentence
  • no font fuckery - keep one font, preferably Arial but any sans-serif at a pinch
  • don't use all-caps, because that can mess with dyslexic people
  • keep to high-contrast text, e.g. blue on yellow, or black on white.
  • don't put stuff in passive tense, e.g. "the house was visited" is bad, "they visited the house" is better
  • it's better to have people learn something than to have them learn nothing, so err on the side of too simple

there's a pretty good guide here that i just nicked off google if anyone's interested.

took a stab at simplifying the current poster a bit more:

not sure of your target audience, so hopefully this doesn't come across as patronising. struggling with the upwind bit, though - it seems like quite important information but i can't make it fit ten words

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
I really like the simplified one. I've been trying to describe upwind for longer than I probably should, the best I can come up with is "Move things to where the wind is coming from." Fits but doesn't feel great.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i used to do a bit of easyread english translation for people with english as a second language or with learning disabilities, and yeah, there's so many habits of language that many people take for granted but that can totally gently caress up someone not used to them. biggest example is putting stuff in the passive voice.

advice i always got for ensuring maximum takeup was basically:

• max 15 words to a sentence
  • no font fuckery - keep one font, preferably Arial but any sans-serif at a pinch
  • don't use all-caps, because that can mess with dyslexic people
  • keep to high-contrast text, e.g. blue on yellow, or black on white.
  • don't put stuff in passive tense, e.g. "the house was visited" is bad, "they visited the house" is better
  • it's better to have people learn something than to have them learn nothing, so err on the side of too simple

there's a pretty good guide here that i just nicked off google if anyone's interested.

took a stab at simplifying the current poster a bit more:

not sure of your target audience, so hopefully this doesn't come across as patronising. struggling with the upwind bit, though - it seems like quite important information but i can't make it fit ten words

This is all very helpful, thank you. I struggled with upwind too, fwiw

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i would say "away from where the fire is pointing" for upwind

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

this is good, but also it makes me sad

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BONGHITZ posted:

this is good, but also it makes me sad

:yeah:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We've started using these now, and the easy english guide is making the rounds. My, uh, boss(?) sends his thanks, and has not in fact heard of this dead gay website.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Buy him an account

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Pomp posted:

We've started using these now, and the easy english guide is making the rounds. My, uh, boss(?) sends his thanks, and has not in fact heard of this dead gay website.

Can I unstick the thread?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nichael posted:

Can I unstick the thread?

oh yeah go for it. We got the material we needed and the resources to figure it out on our own down the line.

StashAugustine posted:

Buy him an account

he's a facebook boomer so i'm expecting to be asked questions about glenn beck tomorrow

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

like with my drawings and everything?????

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

like with my drawings and everything?????

ya i'll take pictures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

:stoked: