Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pomp posted:

I know it can seem goofy, but we try to keep things to at a middle school level when we're making basic event flyers. I'm surprised by guests asking me to define language we'd take for basic a lot, not even necessarily things that came out of my mouth.

i used to do a bit of easyread english translation for people with english as a second language or with learning disabilities, and yeah, there's so many habits of language that many people take for granted but that can totally gently caress up someone not used to them. biggest example is putting stuff in the passive voice.

advice i always got for ensuring maximum takeup was basically:

• max 15 words to a sentence
  • no font fuckery - keep one font, preferably Arial but any sans-serif at a pinch
  • don't use all-caps, because that can mess with dyslexic people
  • keep to high-contrast text, e.g. blue on yellow, or black on white.
  • don't put stuff in passive tense, e.g. "the house was visited" is bad, "they visited the house" is better
  • it's better to have people learn something than to have them learn nothing, so err on the side of too simple

there's a pretty good guide here that i just nicked off google if anyone's interested.

took a stab at simplifying the current poster a bit more:

not sure of your target audience, so hopefully this doesn't come across as patronising. struggling with the upwind bit, though - it seems like quite important information but i can't make it fit ten words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU