Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Pops Mgee posted:

Also I've missed having Joe Buck call Packer games which is a weird feeling to have.

Consult your physician.

Packers 4.5 point favorites. seems weird but if all the eagles receivers are again out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

This post is cool and good, much like Josh Allen. He still has plenty of room for improvement(would be nice if he didn’t Trubs it up for quarters at a time) but he’s completing 64% of his passes and throwing for 250 a game, which is a loving revelation in terms of Bills quarterbacking.
And Dawson Knox might be an actually good TE! We haven’t had one of those for decades.

Barnwell wrote about this - they seem to have tweaked the offense around him to good results

quote:

An even 20% of his passes traveled 20 yards or more downfield. To put that in context, no other starting quarterback topped 15% last season, and the only other quarterback over the past decade to top 20% in a season was Tim Tebow

[...]

In 2018, a typical quarterback given Allen's range of throws and receivers would have completed 60.5% of his passes, which ranked 28th out of 30 quarterbacks. Allen then completed 52.8% of his throws, with the resulting difference of 7.7 percentage points ranking as the worst in the league. Allen was given a tough slate of passes and didn't do a good job with them.

Through three weeks, though, Allen's expected completion percentage is 63.1%, suggesting he's been given a much easier range of throws. His actual percentage is 64.1%, which is slightly above that expectation.

That much of a freshman-sophmore jump is exciting and really promising. Of course.. this week he, uh, probably won't look as good but still! Josh Allen! Doing things!

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Long developing plays with a lovely offensive line my god is that mike martz's music???

What's weird(er) is the Browns have the personal for a decent short game too. ODB is solid anywhere on the field - just give the guy space somewhere. Chubb is a good RB like they don't need ~~bombs~~ to win

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

fsif posted:

Josh Allen was truly horrible at the beginning of last season and (through three games against lovely defenses) now looks like at least a top 25–30 QB.

If if if IF he can stop playing like a moron, he might be a franchise guy.

He's solidly middle tier right now I think with how they are using him and how he's running the ball. Like in the long term that running stuff wont' work out but for now..

It's weird to me that the class of 2018 (Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson) might've only had one bust. Pretty good considering at the time I think most people would've thought 1-2 of those guys might be any good.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

archives check of mahomes hot takes???

ok!

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'm not sure what to think of Mahomes. Guess we will find out in 2019

Strobe posted:

I am pretty happy with Mahomes, but I definitely think he'd still have been there closer to 20 than 10. Still, the Chiefs selling next year's 1st round pick means that they're going to be loving committed to making sure this works, so I expect Andy Reid to pull out all the stops, sit Mahomes for a year, and then unleash a magnificent funslinging machine.

Mahomes 2 Hill

Grittybeard posted:

Welp, I'm terrified. And excited, but also terrified. Here's what I said about Mahomes way back in February:

Grittybeard posted:

He's the toolsiest of tools guys, I love him as a developmental pick. He's probably going to rise up way higher than he should go and not get the chance to sit and develop though, he's going to need time. In addition to everything air raid his footwork in particular is just completely awful, and his arm is good enough that he sees no problem throwing off his back foot across his body, which isn't going to fly at the next level and frankly got him into trouble at Tech way too often.

There's a quote I can't find right now from Patrick Mahomes Sr (his dad, who is a character himself) about one of Aaron Rodgers ridiculous throws: "Holy poo poo there's only two guys on the planet that can make that throw, and I'm proud to say my son is one of those motherfuckers." He might be more right than wrong, the problem is Mahomes is willing to try that poo poo constantly with not great mechanics. The good news is most of his stuff is in theory fixable with good coaching and time to learn.

e: Put it this way, I want the Chiefs to draft him, but if they do I want Alex Smith to finish out his contract that ends after 2018.

I said I wanted to draft him but at the time I was thinking at the Chiefs original pick as a complete overdraft or in the 2nd round. Not Trading 2 firsts and a third to move up for him.

Under no circumstances do I want to see him on the field this year outside of preseason. Even if Alex goes down I want Tyler Bray or whoever the hell to finish out the year. He has so many things to fix. On the bright side I do think KC is the perfect situation to perhaps turn him into an NFL quarterback, and his ceiling in theory is ridiculous.

One way or another poo poo is going to change, because Patrick Mahomes is different from Alex Smith in just about every way other than the fact that they can both move a little bit. But hell even that's different, Alex moves to get the gently caress out and run, Mahomes moves to buy time to throw the ball downfield. It'll be a new world whenever he gets his chance, which hopefully won't be particularly soon.

grittybeard posted:

Sab0921 posted:

Someone please tell me how to feel about the Texans trading two firsts and a second for DeShaun Watson.

E: I guess Nuk Hopkins and JJ Watt thought this was cool, so good I guess?

Worried, but less worried than KC fans? Watson also probably won't be all that good, but his floor is higher than Mahomes.

We should both get used to these comparisons, because we'll be making them a lot over the next few years.

strobe posted:

I think Mahomes definitely has a lower floor, and with anybody but noted QB coach Andy Reid I'd be livid and/or worried sick. But I think Mahomes also has a ceiling best measured in miles and could be a goddamn riot to watch in a couple years, and will take it.

sab0921 posted:

It just feels like such a Browns-ian move. I get that the team is a QB away from being really loving good right now, but that moment is fleeting and we just mortgaged our future -- on the flip side, if Watson really is a top flight NFL QB, the rest of the team being terrible in 3 years is ok.

I watched a ton of Mahomes since he was in the Big XII, and if he gets the Rodgers treatment where he gets to sit behind Smith for a few years to learn how to play in the NFL, he will be great. He will flame out spectacularly if asked to play next year.

the puppy bowl posted:

Oh yeah, Mahomes is the first 1st round QB for the Chiefs in a generation. Well, Brett Farve or Case Keenum it's going to be fun to watch.

jizz denounment posted:

Strobe posted:

I think Mahomes definitely has a lower floor, and with anybody but noted QB coach Andy Reid I'd be livid and/or worried sick. But I think Mahomes also has a ceiling best measured in miles and could be a goddamn riot to watch in a couple years, and will take it.

Agreed. Any other spot and it would be terrible, but Reid is drat good at what he does.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

What's everyones favorite pick from last night, mine is Chiefs taking Mahomes
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818639&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=34

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

lol you are dumb kansas

Schwack posted:

Mahomes looks like a complete goober. Nobody should take that dude

Tom Sellout posted:

AHHHH FUUUUCK YEEEAAAHHHH MAHOMES IN A REID SYSTEM

Dr_Strangelove posted:

AH gently caress THAT

I WANTED WATSON

kiimo posted:

I'M SO loving HAPPY

Basically everyone liked it?

Everyone hated trubisky.

TFF.... good.. opinions???

e: lol

sean10mm posted:

Serious pick or comedy pick?

Serious pick is the Browns just doing the obvious correct thing and taking Garrett.
Comedy pick is the super turbo hellbad trade-up for Trubisky. He's Mark Sanchez 2.0 from a weaker program with even less games played, going to a team with awful weapons and offensive coaches that are just poo poo.

adaz fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 25, 2019

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

never too late to dunk on da bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Texans Chiefs week 6. gently caress the steelers and chargers, want to see Mahomes v. Watson.

SNF has some real good games though just looking ahead

Week 7: Eagles Cowboys
Week 8: Packers Chiefs
week 9: Patriots Ravens
Week 10: Vikings Cowboys
week 11: Bears Rams
week 12: seahawks eagles
week 13: patriots texans
week 14: seahwask rams
week 15: vikings chargers
week 16: chiefs bears

I mean not really any stinkers