Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iwentdoodie posted:

So, what's the line now for ineligible receiver downfield? Most of the line looks like it ends up over the LoS at release.

Snap was at the 20 and I don't see anyone past that at the release?

e: I didn't notice before how good of a job the RB does there (McCoy? didn't catch his number). He's left isolated with the blitzer and takes him completely out of the play.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Zyla posted:

hes playing very very well and uniquely but the peyton manning terror years were something completely different. teams refused to punt because they didnt believe they could stop him

The Ravens went for it on 4th down from their own 34 sunday and again from their 47 on the same drive in the second quarter. Not to mention three different failed 2 point conversions chasing points (only one of which made traditional sense).

I'm not going to call Mahomes the best ever right now but this is an odd argument to make at the moment.

eta: of course much like many of the Peyton years teams just don't have to punt because KC's defense has been trash. Maybe it's a little better now.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 24, 2019

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I like that Watson is good enough that both teams feel like they did they best they could in that draft.

Remove some disastrous Texans decisions and he'd be even better.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The ball literally passed between his hands. I overstated by saying it was a bad play from Owansaur but that ball is intercepted or at a minimum deflected if his hands are a half inch closer together. I just really don't understand why you're stretching on an unimpressive play from Mahomes when as you say there are 400 others out there that are better.

I suppose on the other hand I don't think it was a bad defensive play like you originally said, just a play that he very nearly could make (and almost did, he got his hands on the ball) but didn't. Woulda been a great play if he made it rather than a routine one I guess?

C-Euro posted:

Not for lack of trying.

A thing that's going around right now in KC is that through 4 weeks they will have played no one who wasn't undefeated. So for the sort of disingenuous brag I thank you.

I'm also kind of worried about your D line for the record.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AndrewP posted:

Mahomes won last season’s game against Baltimore doing this on a late Q4 fourth down. “Lucky” I guess but they also kept the plays alive and gave the WRs a shot to make a play.

There's...quite a bit of difference between Mahomes throw last year and Lamar's throw last game by the eye test.

I mean I love Lamar and want him to tear things up, I just don't think those plays are the same.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

adaz posted:

What's weird(er) is the Browns have the personal for a decent short game too. ODB is solid anywhere on the field - just give the guy space somewhere. Chubb is a good RB like they don't need ~~bombs~~ to win

I mean the only reason Jarvis Landry is at least semi-famous is because of his work in the short game. I don't think he's limited to that but that's how he made his bones.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/BenStandig/status/1176257603657175043

:unsmith:

Although I'm not sure he's moving all that confidently and I sincerely hope he just strings Snyder along until he gets all the money out of him that he can.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

i'm going to get all of you guys one of these because I think you'll get a lot of use of them every time you discuss a QB

It's sad that the Hennewagon went off the tracks :(

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Horse Inspector posted:

Didn't Shanahan engineer a powerpoint presentation and show it to management specifically for the purpose of convincing them he shouldn't be there, and they bought it?

Wasn't that Mike and not Kyle?

If it was Kyle that's an amazing move and I like him more than I did before.

e: poo poo it was Kyle. Go 49ers.

Oh that was the Browns and not Redskins though

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 24, 2019

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fartknocker posted:

John Riggins had 1,300 and 1,200 yard seasons at 34 and 35.

Might still be technically correct since he said HB, Riggins was a FB most of his career. PFR has him listed as generic 'RB' for those years though, I don't know if Washington actually started using him differently or not.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

On 1 hand he has no sources in Cleveland on the other he should have a league source or 2

https://twitter.com/TonyGrossi/status/1177007948738023430

please god no

I'm seeing Colts/Chiefs as the SNF matchup week 5?

Oh they're talking about week 6.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

adaz posted:

Texans Chiefs week 6. gently caress the steelers and chargers, want to see Mahomes v. Watson

Yeah can't do Chiefs back to back since they're already the week 5 SNF game (made more sense with Luck around).

I mean I'd like it, but they won't do it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Ravens are at home coming off of a bye week for that game so I actually give us even odds against the Pats. The only game we've lost thus far was our toughest match up of the whole year and it was a near thing with a lot of bad luck. It's nice that even if we lose games like that we have the 2 free wins to rely on from the Browns.

I like Harbaugh listening to the analytics guys, we were confused in the GDT about the second two point attempt but that's generally a fine choice that should probably be made more often. It didn't work out, but it took bad luck for it not to work out with at least one of those last two attempts. The first one after a penalty was generally a decent decision too.

The one time he screwed up was when he didn't go for it on 4th and 5 around midfield.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Not gonna lie, I can see this being a sort of trap game for green bay. I think the eagles are much better than their record and Thursday clownball chaos makes things hard to predict

How did this game end up scheduled on TNF? Before the season at least (and even now if it weren't for Philly's injuries) it looked like a good matchup, it's not in division which is a thing TNF likes to do.

The worst thing Thursday night football does is have an actual decent matchup, because all things TNF are designed to turn it into a clown show.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

nah posted:

Has any other QB had an equally grim first season worth of games and wound up being great?

Without even checking I'll guess Steve Young like I always do.

e: I checked, YPA and yards per game are better for Young, but not a lot better. Ints were worse (although they were more accepted back then). It's also worth questioning whether Tampa back then was an even worse situation than the absolute dreck Rosen has seen so far.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 27, 2019

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

nah posted:

This is not the face of a franchise quarterback. Sorry Broncos fans

He's on IR, that's a totally fine IR face!

I suspect it will be more difficult for me to defend Drew Lock because of Mizzou ties than it is Chase Daniel who never plays. On the bright side I do hope it's easier to defend him than it is Blaine Gabbert.

The truth who never got a chance is Brad Smith of course.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Mahomes sat on the bench for the 1st 15 games of his career, which is like double losing.

8-7 in the next 15 for Aikman I guess.

So if we count Mahomes as 0-15 to start he'd be 12-18 through 30 compared to Aikman's 9-21. If it's double losing to sit Mahomes was 12-33 to start his career, hard to come back from that.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 27, 2019

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Might have something to do with that thing we were talking about in the Hot Seat thread where Gruden doesn't want to play Haskins and the front office is all about Dwayne.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

lmao "safety"

There was one and probably two weeks that I thought Orlando Scandrick was the best DB the Chiefs had last year.

This is not an endorsement of Orlando Scandrick.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chichevache posted:

How is smashing the patriarchy bullying, bro?

There are those couple of years when girls are the patriarchy in school. Like absolutely run poo poo and are bigger and stronger than the boys.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

Burfict suspended for the year lol

Yeah it's official.

That's pretty easily the longest suspension for an in game act isn't it?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

No guys really it was all Sutton's fault, the defense is good now -Every KC fan in existence in August

I said they'd better at least be slightly better.

And overall they're a little better by scoring D somehow so far, that run D is hilariously awful though.

e:

japtor posted:

They had the #1 tackling defense in preseason!
(I think someone posted that in the AFCW thread a while back at least)

I went looking for this post to tell whoever that was I hated them yesterday after watching Stafford shrugging off 3 or 4 guys on another slow scramble and couldn't find it.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Strobe posted:

He's better than Bortles was. Arguably he's pretty good, but who else's name do you know on the Jags offense?

Chark's pretty good. We know Fournette but that's because he's bad or at least not as good as he should be. And obviously we (the last three posters) know Chris Conley, he's actually doing okish.

My overwhelming love for the man aside my take on Minshew is that he's not amazing right now. But how in the world could you ask for anything more from a 6th round rookie quarterback unexpectedly thrown into the starting role? He's not exactly tearing everything up, but he's doing enough to put his team in position to win fairly consistently. He's not just throwing checkdowns every single play and being protected by scheme, although there's some of that. He's playing well within their offense with some legit throws and now and then pulling a play out of his rear end.

Maybe it's lightning in a bottle and he's going to turn to crap. But we ought to have fun with it while it lasts, and I don't think it's out of the question that he actually is a pretty good qb.