Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Sanguinia posted:

If impeachment does happen at last today it'll be pretty funny that what it took to finally push the shittiest dems into action was threats against Diamond Joe.

(nah for real though, if Trump's Putin ball-licking and constant loving over of Ukraine is what destroys him, it'll be some pretty tasty irony)

It'll vindicate the #resistance crowd.

It was the Russians all along!

That lovely loving narrative that the neolibs play right into.

Also I'm not 100% sure on this, but being impeached and removed from office doesn't preclude someone from running again.

The comedy option is if this runs past the primaries and a few of those states that removed anyone but Trump from said primaries, Pence runs and the vote is split between votes for Trump and write-ins for Pence.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

OAquinas posted:

Edit: ^^ Calling Ukrainians russians is a good way to get your leg broken.

That's how it's going to be framed in the media and you know it.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

So I've said this off an on for about three years now. Establishment dems won't act for the good of their constituents or in any way that takes courage or leadership. But they will be motivated by craven grabs for power.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

evilweasel posted:

mcconnell doesn't have the power to give hall passes or to force anyone to do anything

the calculus that each republican will be looking at is:

1) guilty verdict: pisses off some amount of the base who will refuse to vote and/or gets you primaried
2) not guilty verdict: pisses off some amount of the "pursuadable" people who voted for them last time

what mitch thinks doesn't mean poo poo, they care about how many people they think are in each category above. for most republicans, they don't need anyone from #2 and its an easy not-guity. for collins/gardener, they may be in a no-win situation if and only if the impeachment gets traction with the public

This isn't 100% true. McConnel's wife is secretary of transportation and one of the ways that he intimidates other republicans into submission is by threatening to cut highway funds.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I admire the grift, I really do.

A successful grifter never stops grifting. They commit to the grift.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Negative, Nancy.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Skex posted:

And Hillary? She's been a source of disappointment for me from the moment that she voted to let Bush go into Iraq because it showed that she had the political instincts of a rock but the idea that she's this malevolent mastermind criminal is loving laughable in it's absurdity. The Republicans spent billions getting all up in her and Bill's poo poo and found gently caress all to go after them on. Meanwhile you gently shake the average Republican and you need a loving dump truck to catch all the crimes that shake loose. Believing that nonsense is as dumb as thinking that the US faked the moon landing. If there was anything to get on her, they'd have gotten it, There is a reason why they have to make up outrageous poo poo and it's because there is no there there. If they really had anything they'd bring loving indictments. You know like Democrats loving do.

So while I'll agree with most of what you said, the Clintons invited the right hand woman of a Jeremy Epstein to their daughter's wedding. Her name is Ghislaine Maxwell and she was well known for aiding and abetting in a pedophile sex trafficking ring for the rich, the famous and the influential. Her invitation came after Epstein was convicted and served less than a year in a prison of his own design that he only had to visit sometimes.

https://www.thecut.com/2019/08/ghislaine-maxwell-jeffrey-epstein-alleged-madam.html

The dems don't rid themselves of all of their trash. Much of them, when they're caught at least, yes. But some businesses are deemed to big to fail. Some turds are deemed to big to flush. The Clintons are emblematic of this.

Maybe politicians are a bad idea.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

ascii genitals posted:

get high as gently caress

Wisdom.

This poo poo is going to come out when it comes out. The White House will gently caress it up and Trump will fly into perhaps the biggest narcissistic rage we've ever witnessed, which will shoot himself in the drat foot.

Also he'll attempt to shut down the government to cover up his crimes, which will also hilariously backfire.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Uncle Wemus posted:

Is Hunter the crackhead Biden offspring or was that a different one

The literal drug addict failson, yes.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Mooseontheloose posted:

To expand, how do you defend:
-Bribing a foreign official
-Bribing a foreign official to take out a political opponent
-LITERALLY sell out the United States so you can cling to power

It's not a bribe. The money had already been raised for Ukraine and was withheld. The word you're looking for is extortion.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

ryde posted:

Americans are dumb and war did wonders for Bush's approval ratings in the short term, so I fully suspect the R's to rush headlong into military action.

This would be misunderstanding their constituency on a fundamental level. They don't want an external war with external enemies. They want an internal war on what they view as internal enemies.

A war wouldn't achieve the results that they want. The American people are war weary.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

twice burned ice posted:

Pelosi is beyond useless, but what exactly has she done that's illegal? Any specific allegations?

I don't really care if she's not doing anything illegal. What I care about is that it took someone from the CIA to pull the trigger on this rather than her doing her loving job and launching impeachment inquiries for Trump's many, MANY crimes in office and out.

If she can't do her job she shouldn't be speaker. If she has to be dragged and shamed into doing her job she shouldn't be speaker. She's literally a Reagan democrat and needs to gently caress off forever.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

theflyingorc posted:

Her caucus isn't even 100% lined up behind the inquiry, let alone impeachment. She needed a scandal like this to get party unity.

I understand that herding politicians is like herding cats, but Pelosi made no move until she was shamed into this course of action. In other ways she helped Trump's proto-exterminationist concentration camp policies because she doesn't give a poo poo about Trump being a loving Nazi with Nazi policies. There's no fight in her, just silly hand claps and the occasional round of Nazi collaboration. She's neoliberal scum and should be fired into the sun.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Angry_Ed posted:

Other things that were a decade ago, those same allegations of Insider Trading you now drag out. You can't play it both ways.

https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2013/04/16/177496734/how-congress-quietly-overhauled-its-insider-trading-law

Congress is allowed to enrich themselves through legal forms of insider trading, made legal only because they make the law and say that it is legal. I remember when Martha Steward was judged by congress for insider trading, but they themselves did the exact same poo poo she was doing. Almost all of them do it.

It's extremely common for them to get on committees or vote in ways that enrich themselves rather than serve a public good. If some new and tasty spending bill comes up, they'll dump money into the contractor that gets the bill. It's like having cheat codes.

The STOCK act was made to change this behavior in 2013, but large sections of it were reversed no debate. Just a thirty second vote in which is passed. And largely we see the same behavior today that the STOCK act was made to curb.

Insider trading is legal for the political class, at least at the federal level. I'm not as sure about state. So if you get on some sort of committee for example, war or banking or what have you, the odds are good that you have stock and that you push the interests of whatever corporation you have a stake in. If you own a little stock, you're playing the market. Maybe you might feel some stewardship, but you definitely own that stock. But when you depend on that stock to survive? Or at least to maintain your lifestyle? You don't own that stock. The stock owns you. It shapes your behaviors and decisions.

Congress critters should not be allowed to own stock at all. It's too much of a conflict of interest.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Angry_Ed posted:

I'm not disagreeing on any of this and it wasn't the point of what I was saying.

I was quoting you, but not disagreeing with you. McMagic was talking about insider trading and doing it badly, as if Pelosi is some sort of abberation. She's not. As far as insider trading goes, self-dealing, almost all of congress is guilty. Not legally, but only because they made up the law to say that in their very specific case, they can do insider trading and it's legal.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Trabisnikof posted:

drat I had forgotten how rich Pelosi has become:

$21-105M in SF real estate
$5-25M in a housing development in Sacramento
$5-25M in Visa
$5-25M in apple stock
$5-25M home/winery
$5-10M invest in a resort hotel in Napa
$1-5M in Piatti Restaurant Company
$1-5M in salesforce
$1-5M in Disney
$1-2M million invested in other smaller companies
($50M - 232M)

Now don't worry, she does have loans too:

$17-80M in loans from Union Bank of California
$2-25M in loans from City National Securities
$1-5M in loans from Wells Fargo
$1-5M in loans from City National Bank
$1-5M in loans from Bank of America

(22M - 120M)

[http://clerk.house.gov/public_disc/financial-pdfs/2018/10026982.pdf]

And that's just assets she is required by law to disclose.

So again, when you see that people have investments in companies, the more a person has invested in them, the more that that company owns them. Their stock takes ownership of the person and influences their behavior.

So for example, what happens when Mickey is possibly going into the public domain again? Does Pelosi say, "Sorry, your IP is going public, 75 + years after the death of the creator" or whatever is just too much. We can't extend it another twenty.

The answer is that she'll vote in line with her interests, which are Disney's interests, because her money influences her behavior and creates a need to protect no matter what. Disney no longer needs to bribe her. She's invested.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm sure they have him on blood thinners to prevent this. I'd be super interested in finding out what his daily pharmacological cocktail looks like

Adderal, adderal and more adderal.

edit:

Mlem tax.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Strange Poon posted:

jesus loving christ.

She cannot die of old age fast enough. Like if she stared at the loving Ark of the Covenant and her face melted off like those Nazis in Indiana Jones, that wouldn't be fast enough for me. It would have to be at least twice as fast to satisfy me.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean, should she be happy that this horrible traumatic thing is happening? She’s doing her duty to defend the constitution. What more you want?

That she doesn't have to be dragged kicking and screaming into doing it. That she actually acts as opposition rather than allowing Trump to run roughshod over our democracy and values? That she shows some loving backbone and leadership?

Not a lot if you ask some. Formerly impossible if you ask others.

Most political survivors are craven as poo poo and Pelosi is no exception.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

evilweasel posted:

we will stand up, and quickly collapse, winded, upon our rascal scooters

This.

Jaxyon posted:

While most of them are cowards, the few True Believers going on shooting sprees is what worries me.

Also this.

One of the things that heartens me is that this generation of fascists have never had a great war. Few of them have any combat experience at all. Most of them are also far older than leftist activists on average. Say one thing about the fascists of the 20's and 30's, but the majority of them were combat veterans and had their courage tested in the trenches of World War One, the worst conflict in human history in terms of sheer misery. Gollipoli, The Marne, Passchendaele, The Somme, all of them brutal, all of them ugly in a way that we can't imagine. Everyone went through that, including the fascists, so they had a hardened corps of combat veterans to bulk out their numbers and train younger recruits. So did the left, but that made the conflict higher stakes, the flash points hotter, brighter and longer lasting.

The average republican is old as poo poo. The great wars of their time were severely different. They didn't fight in pitched battles against an equal or even superior foe. Iraq and Afghanistan were full of asymmetrical style warfare. Booby traps. Snipers. Mortars. Ambushes. These still require courage to face, but it's a different kind of courage. And our veterans as a portion of our population are a tiny fraction of the whole. Civil conflict will largely be flailing and attacking soft targets in spree shootings. People who attack singularly, who can't inspire violence, are normally on the losing side. The fascists don't have a large population of young people to draw from to bulk out their numbers and few if any people who have been tested against an equal foe. They're people who are used to punching down and only punching down.

Most older people will stay home for fear that they will lose what they have.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

evilweasel posted:

i think the theory there is more "when you throw a million people into a hellwar you're gonna get a lot more hardened vets" than a nutty idea of the trenches creating a nobler man

Yeah, these aren't noble people. What you've created are people who are used to extreme levels of violence and horror. Where your 10/10 horror moment is their 2/10. So some street level antics, bust in someone's head, shoot them, stab them? That's maybe a 4/10 for them. Those were some trench warfare skirmishes. Only in the streets, no one is scrambling up your guts with a bayonet. Or maybe they are, but most people are armed with hand weapons or fists at most.

Those people aren't bulking out the fascist side this time around. And the fascists that are willing to engage in street violence are small in number and have a hard time replacing losses because the pool of young fascists are very online, not very offline.

The narrative for civil war is there and it's strong among the hard core of right wingers, but most of those people are in their fifties and older. The republican party and arch conservatism in general hasn't appealed to young people in a long time. Those are the people who fight in the streets and the fascists are at an extreme disadvantage for not having a large supply of young people.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Open hypothetical question: if right now Trump offered to resign under the condition that he gets fully pardoned by Pence AND no state charges are filed would you take it?

No. Trump would remain a symbol and fascists live and die on their symbols. He needs to be torn down, disgraced and jailed so they can't Reaganize him.

It'll never happen though. Trump is a clinical narcissist and will never step down willingly.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

To be fair, being disgraced and jailed is hardly a disqualifying factor. After all, Ollie North is a revered figure among the right.

Yeah, but he went down for the Bush family like a low level enforcer goes down for the mafia. Same poo poo really. That guy does his time and becomes a made man. Serving a crime family faithfully and well comes with privileges.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Hiro Protagonist posted:

It would fracture the Republican party, and would be significantly worse for then than Nixon; they'd have to acknowledge his crimes and turn against him, and that would bring them into direct conflict with the hard-core trumpers.

I don't see a problem here. Let the republicans eat each other alive. Let the party collapse. It's been a rump party for ages and only sustains itself through hatred, fear, lies, voter suppression and election fraud. They don't even pretend to stand for anything anymore other than white supremacy and authoritarianism.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

And you don't think this is exactly how the chuds would treat Trump?

Sending him to jail won't destroy him. Take his money and his empire. Make it so that he has nothing to leave those shitfuck kids of his. Trump's whole identity is tied up in being rich and powerful; if you take that away from him it will hurt him far more.

I can get behind this, yeah. And I'd hope that it would spark conversations about white collar crime and reform in that vein that we desperately need.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

cr0y posted:

I have to respect the grift 🤷

No, you don't have to.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah I remember in 2016 working with a guy who said he would pull the lever for the Republicans even if they literally nominated a ham sandwich.

I know a lot of people who basically want anyone in power who will defeat Trump. They don't care who it is.

The problem is with this mode of thinking is that they'll accept anyone if the next person allows them to ignore politics again. For them to be lulled to sleep once more. They desire a life devoid of conflict and by not choosing people who will resolve suffering, we're just kicking the can down the road. That unless they choose someone who will resolve the problems of everyday people, the conflict will never be resolved. It will only be delayed, and only maybe. That if they truly want to go back to their comfortable life, they must go out of their way to extend comfort and aid to others. And the idea just bounces off them, as if it's totally alien and empathy is bizarre.

And by people, I mean the white liberal, the so called moderate. One of their most defining traits is the desire for the absence of conflict. Not peace, or at least nothing healthy, but negative peace. That moment where someone is done kicking you and they tell you not to get up. The white liberal is satisfied with that, or if not, they'll tell you to wait for your time, incremental change is best, be patient. And all you want to do is break the leg of the person who kicked you. But as soon as you stand up for yourself they'll start screaming about violence, despite the threat of violence being everpresent.

I used to be one of these people and I am disgusted with myself in the same way that I'm disgusted with the white liberal. That incremental change, little tweaks, long policies, are loving horrible and demeaning to people who are suffering right now. That people in dire need don't need help ten years from now if they're patient, and only maybe, and only a little. They need capital H help right now. Not later. Now. And the white liberal will jump on the backs of people willing to deal with their bullshit and will weigh them down, forever whispering that if they're good, they might get their rights later. But only if they're reeeeeeally good.

These people need a kicking to understand what that poo poo feels like. That tension when the kicks stop coming. For someone to be satisfied with their lack of response, or perhaps mildly guilty. For someone to tell them that freedom is a long, arduous process of tiny, incremental change. That their rules are best and that revolutionary change is unthinkable nonsense, and they'll loudly proclaim it so, or perhaps whisper it.

Anything to preserve their comfort.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Solkanar512 posted:

I have to say, I find this sort of commentary frustrating.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to find comfort in life. We all want relief from the stresses of our lovely jobs, our overpriced rent/childcare/healthcare and numerous ways that capitalism continuously fucks us over. That essay on burnout a while back talks about this. Then you mix in the stresses of dealing with your own chronic health issues or caring for the issues of your loved ones or the lovely combination of stagnant wages, rising rents and student debt and that's just all the normal, localized, day to day poo poo. Then you mix in all the poo poo from the President on top of that? Isn't comfort what we're all fighting for, isn't it the whole point?

Most people just want a break. Most people just want the madness to stop. Folks want to live their lives in peace. No poo poo they don't want conflict, no one wants conflict. That doesn't make you evil or selfish, it makes you human. The number of times I've had to sit down with someone suffering a panic attack over this poo poo has gone up dramatically in the past few years. We all have stories like these, where bank accounts went negative or medicine was hard to get or folks had to make hard choices about finding somewhere to live or not being able to have kids. I bolded a section above because you clearly understand that folks need help, but most of the people you're decrying as "white, moderate liberals" are like the vast majority of us, people who in some way need help.

Sure, gently caress the rich assholes on TV and in the newspapers that are actually holding us back. gently caress them hard and gently caress them often. But that's not most folks.

There is nothing wrong with comfort so long as it does not come at the expense of others.

You're right that people are stressed out. That they just want to work and get paid and be left alone. That the stress of having to work harder compounds over time as it becomes harder and harder to feed your family and have a decent life as we're crushed by all sides, primarily by capitalists, as they grab more and more money, leaving us less and less. Economic boom for them, economic bust for us. And we are currently in a time where the wealth disparity is worse than the gilded age, but after our great depression.

What you speak about is economic justice. The sad fact is that you're never going to get that until people start agitating for economic rights. That means at the very least, voting for the person who is going to alleviate your suffering, which means pushing left wing. Healthcare costs, childcare costs, student debt, minimum wage, dealing with right wing extremism, it's never going to get fixed by some neoliberal democrat, who's about where a 90's republican is now. They'll continue to manage the decline that we're in. They won't reform the parties into new coalitions. They'll stay the course because that requires leadership. For example, when Kamala Harris spoke about student debt, she spoke about it in a way that was a wink and a nod to her donors. Her plan was like Hillary's, say you're going to do something, but that something is so tiny, so measured in so many hoops you need to jump through, that maybe 10 to 20k people will get it. The coded language is "I'm going to do gently caress all and that's good for business, give me money". And this is less than what Clinton was going to do, who failed during the elections.

Now let's talk about other issues. War atrocities, racial justice, literal no-poo poo concentration camps, the opium crisis. The drone strikes are accelerating, but they began under Obama. The concentration camps are ramped up to a fever pitch now. But again, those started under Obama too. ICE was so awful under Obama that they just stopped recording violations of law and ethics. Cops shot African American children to death in the street and the outcry was muted, as always. Police as occupying force. And also the opium crisis continues to rage, killing roughly about a 9/11's worth of people in deaths every two and a half weeks.

And people yearn for Obama. Most charismatic president of our time, maybe all time. His weakness and appeasement policies for the republicans set the table for Trump. His unwillingness to mobilize people destroyed any change that he would ever get. His lack of prosecution of bankers, who started the 2007/2008 financial crisis. All of this poo poo. People yearn for him. Not because his policies were good. Often they were loving terrible. But moderates yearn for him because he reminds them of a time where they could pretend that politics didn't have stakes and that we could try to be friends with the republicans and we didn't see the Nazis marching through the streets and smashing the heads of protesters with their boots in place like Charlottesville and Portland.

The urge is to go back to sleep. To once again be lulled into complacency. To return to politics without stakes. But that was always a fiction, a dream. Those stakes continue to exist and will always exist. Your economic rights? Under attack. And they'll never cease being attacked. Maybe you get some economic justice, but it isn't extended to people poorer than you or a different race. And you say, "My life is hard, why should you criticize me? What right do you have?"

The answer is that what I'm trying to get across, in my own way, is that you are being picked apart. Slowly, ever so slowly picked apart. And that sucks. And the people you could ally with for a restoration of your traditional rights are under attack in a far more profound way right now. So say if you're African American and trans for instance, there is no going to sleep for them. Not ever. At least not in the political climate of the day. You worry about the stress of economics and wanting to return to comfort. They want what you want, but they're also terrified that they're going to get violently murdered because in the current political climate, that is the raw deal that's handed to them. That their existence is some sort of social crime that warrants being beaten to death. That they don't have labor rights in most states and go homeless. That many resort to survival sex and are often killed by the people who seek them out for sexual pleasure. Sex and death.

I talk about trans people as a for instance. This is not to say that your worries aren't valid. They are. White privilege isn't something that you constantly witness. It is the removal of those extra hurdles, obstacles that you will never see or experience unless you dig deep into the experience of people who most don't look at. Or if they look at it, the answer comes from their experience. That in an attempt to preserve their comfort, the answer is a tweak here, a small change there, anything to keep from causing social unrest. Or hell, maybe some social unrest, but not a lot of it please. I'm already stressed enough.

You want economic justice? Comfort? These people are your natural allies. They will push for economic rights with you. Probably not in a way that you're comfortable with because their idea of change is radically different than yours. And the white liberal tries to soothe them, lull them into complacency like they want to be lulled into complacency. "Hey buddy, it's okay, we'll go for change slowly, we work the courts, agitate for rights in the right way. And maybe in five or ten or twenty years, we'll get what we want, okay?" And it doesn't really click for most people that who you're telling that too? Horrible poo poo has been happening to them and could very well happen to them tomorrow. And five years and ten years and twenty years down the road. They want change now and are being told to wait for change that could happen T-Minus never.

What happens historically is that the white moderate uses these people's push to survive and as soon as they have gotten enough to return to comfort, those allies are abandoned. Some don't abandon their allies, but most do. Every political movement that returns enough people to a state of relative justice and comfort for some, not all, causes the extra help to vanish and all of those people who got used as political shock troops, the people who are more vulnerable? Again, abandoned. It happens like clockwork. And they're intensely vulnerable. Maybe they've gotten some rights, but they've bled for them in dark places that most will never see or understand. They had to face down political adversaries who will not target people like you, but will absolutely straight up loving murder them, or maybe beat them, jail them, harass them into homelessness, that sort of thing.

There is no sleep for them. The political consciousness of the white moderate is shallow because the stakes are far, far lower than those that they tend to ally with when things get truly bad. Not to say that they're low, but the odds of a white moderate being murdered by Nazis is basically nil outside of the occasional spree shooting. Not so for everyone else.

My problem with most folks is that they don't understand that we need revolutionary change. The time for tweaks and small changes is over. That was for a simpler time. Ten, twenty years ago? Yeah, maybe something like that would have worked. But our biggest existential threat at the moment is climate change and there is no small change, no tweak that's getting us away from that intact and surviving as a species in the long term. Next are probably Nazis. And you can't work with them, can't oppose them in nice, friendly ways. Debating them feeds them. Criticism fuels them. You need to find them and destroy their ability to communicate and organize. People do the hard work in the streets of opposing them as well, because when there is no anti-fascist presence, the fascists will mob up and begin hurting and killing people. Always. And anti-fascists tend to be the people who are the most vulnerable, where it's do or die if they let fascists feel safe to organize.

And if the Nazis win, you can be drat sure that they won't do a loving thing about climate change and your comfortable life will be over in the decades to come, if not sooner. That the current timeline for economic collapse of the undeveloped world happens around 2038 on the current model and going Mad Max is about 2067. Probably sooner to be honest. And poo poo is going to get a little worse every day. Fascism is an open grave, but we as a species have survived it before because it tends to pick winners and losers. The problem is that the current round of fascists don't believe in climate change. That's unrestrained capitalism. That's a mass grave. And we all go in it. And I have to convince people like you, yes you, to go and agitate to save yourselves from what is preventable.

So yeah, I've got a bone to pick. We don't need to go back to sleep. We need to wake up, gain political consciousness and enact revolutionary change. I'm old enough that I could very well see the death throes of my planet within my lifetime. It's happening now in fact, but I'm not there in the worst hit places. I don't see it and you have to look, really look, to see it unless you're in it. Because for the moment we're insulated from extreme weather events. That won't last forever and by the time it gets really bad, it could very well be too late. The system that so many rely on for comfort is going to murder them so some billionaires can have just a little more before everything they own becomes meaningless in a climate apocalypse.

Please go get involved so we don't all die. Join your local DSA, participate in some climate related civil disobedience. I know you're stressed, but it's only going to get worse until we do something about it.

https://www.dsausa.org/

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 1, 2019

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Rent-A-Cop posted:

No! The Penis is evil! The Penis shoots Seeds, and makes new Life to poison the Earth with a plague of men, as once it was. But the Gun shoots Death and purifies the Earth of the filth of Brutals.

Just do what the bible does and refer to the penis as a guy's "feet", which is a real thing so they can not talk about dongs in the bible more than they already do.

So just draw big, veiny "feet".

Or dicks or w/e.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

https://skepticsannotatedbible.com/topics/feet.html

quote:

When Saul went into a cave to urinate or defecate he went in to "cover his feet."

And he came to the sheepcotes by the way, where was a cave; and Saul went in to cover his feet. 1 Samuel 24:3
When a baby is born it comes out between the mother's "feet"

And toward her young one that cometh out from between her feet. Deuteronomy 28:57
Ruth (with coaching from her mother-in-law Naomi) uncovers Boaz's "feet"

And it shall be, when he lieth down, that thou shalt mark the place where he shall lie, and thou shalt go in, and uncover his feet, and lay thee down; and he will tell thee what thou shalt do. Ruth 3:3
And when Boaz had eaten and drunk, and his heart was merry, he went to lie down at the end of the heap of corn: and she came softly, and uncovered his feet, and laid her down. 3:7

And it came to pass at midnight, that the man was afraid, and turned himself: and, behold, a woman lay at his feet. 3:8

And she lay at his feet until the morning. 3:14

I'm pretty sure that footbaths were just that, footbaths. But lots of references in the bible about feet make way more sense if it has to do with the genitals.

It's also something to fling in the face of biblical literalists because euphemisms like these exist in the bible.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

CommieGIR posted:

:stare: Her face is just....uggghhh, that is hauntingly creepy.

It's less a smile and more like someone displaying their teeth.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Senator Graham is giving you the hottest takes, telling you how the hog ate the cabbage.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I'd like to take this moment to thank Rudy Juliana for being a national treasure. Telling us exactly what Trump's crimes are and how you're doing them and why in the worst/best ways possible is just so good. And because he's Trump's guy from his hometown and defending Trump in the worst way possible, but still doing it, Rudy might never be fired. Because Trump craves hometown respect despite being the loving president.

We need more people like Rudy to yell about crimes.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

If you want a webcomic go read Kill 6 Billion Demons. It's about a young woman who gets caught up in the politics of interdimensional supernatural angel violence and the meaning of willpower, in a setting inspired by Wayne Barlowe's illustrations of hell. Pro read.

I would also suggest stand still, stay silent. It's about a post apocalyptic world set 90 years in the future in the Nordic lands. It's got exploration for lost books, friendship, magic, magic cats, ghost trolls and a cruise liner that has been reshaped into a Viking Longboat aesthetic. It's super loving cool.

https://www.sssscomic.com/

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

BigglesSWE posted:

I’m telling you, before Christmas we’ll have him use a slur on live television.

Trump is going to poo poo his loving pants on television.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Anecdotal story time.

So I talked to my dad yesterday while visiting home. He's part of those people who are middle of the road voters. Voted for Bush, then Clinton, then Bush, then Kerry, then Obama and finally Hillary. Slightly leaning dem, but only slightly. Mostly just on the strength of their economic policies. A pocketbook voter.

I was sitting with my mom in the kitchen and she's asking me if Trump should be impeached and I say yes. We have a small discussion and my dad, who I've been telling Trump is a senile old crook for years and he thinks that the president isn't the brightest and somewhat corrupt asked me straight up if he thinks Trump is going to plot a coup to keep power to keep from being prosecuted.

Now my dad is basically a CNN watching guy, which is gross because it's basically professional wrestling news, but whatever. He'll watch Colbert who's become terribly unfunny and laughs at his dumb impressions. He reads centrist newspapers and I'm wondering where the hell he's getting these ideas from, because he's never delved into conspiracy minded news sources at all, even if those conspiracies are real. And I realized that that sort of talk is penetrating into the centrist news sources. I don't know where he's getting the ideas, but it's coming from centrist news sources because that's all he consumes. That Trump may launch a coup to save himself from prison and bankruptcy. And he's nodding along in a thoughtful, worried way to things that I've been saying for years. That Trump is a terrible president, that he's openly cruel, that he's incompetent, that he's senile. More nods.

And he asks me if I think he could pull it off and I say no, but it'll get really nasty. That we'll see a spike in white supremacist terrorist attacks beyond anything we've seen since maybe the fifties and sixties. And probably worse because they're more interested in spree shooting, hitting soft targets. That sort of thing. That to pull off a successful coup, you need the police, intelligence services and military on your side. That Trump has done nothing to ingratiate himself with the military, often making GBS threads on them, the intelligence agencies actively hate his guts and that really only the police will back him. And police will find themselves overwhelmed by any kind of mass action.

Also that the people who would be running the coup from the top, the intelligent, ruthless, calculating people have almost all been poo poo canned. That almost everyone with military experience has been fired, and anyone who can lead large insurrections and can command loyalty from troops has also been not only fired, but publicly stabbed in the back. But that it will take action for people to depose him if he tries to launch a coup. My dad, talking about this poo poo. It's weird.

We talked for a while if he was just going to leverage his assets and flee to Russia. Personally I think that's possible, but unlikely. He'll have to really feel like he can't win and reality doesn't pierce his bubble often and when it does, he flies into narcissistic rages. That my real worry is that he's going to dig in his heels during the lame duck session if/when he loses, if our voting machines aren't hopelessly compromised (if) and that he'll have about a month to see who deserts him and if his attempted coup gains strength and hurts a ton of people or if Trump basically self-immolates while making GBS threads himself.

He said it would be the end of America if there is a coup, even a failed one. I disagreed. It would be the end of the republican party. That in history, parties have collapsed and news ones have arisen over time. A party going down doesn't take down the country. Or that it rarely does. Civil war would definitely fracture the country, but the republicans don't actually want that despite their rhetoric. That most of them are horribly old and old people don't fight in the streets.

And then, thoughtful and disturbed, he went upstairs to go to sleep. Or maybe not. I finished my beer and went right to sleep, because I've been dealing with these thoughts for probably the last two or three years. And he's going through what I went through, years behind me. And that if people like my dad can speak about these ideas, even if just in private, that something is finally changing. That ideas that were previously unthinkable by most people are now being thought, considered and spoken.

poo poo is changing.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 3, 2019

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

FBS posted:

have y'all never seen actual Christianity before today

I've seen it practiced seriously, rarely under these kind of trying circumstances.

Most of the time it's Christmas and Easter kind of stuff or ignorant hate. Christianity when practiced seriously is extremely difficult to follow. I remember talking to my former pastor and his personal theory was that about 1 to 2% of people were practicing correctly, or at least approximating something correctly when asked about doctrinal stuff. And not in a tribal "I'm practicing the right way everyone else is wrong" sort of way, but just that it's really hard to do seriously. The rest of the right wingers and evangelical and cultural and whatever flavor of Christianity crowd made serious compromises or gave into ignorance and hate or bought into the false hope of wealth through the prosperity gospel.

In its current form, most "Christians" are unable to produce what we would consider as culture and so they're on a long decline into cultural death and irrelevancy. They have power, but only use it to inflict cruelty, reinforcing their authoritarian values and the hatred of them by others. There has been talk for a long time about the Constantine model of Christian living, of retreating into enclaves and recently on Chapo there was an interview about reports of abandoning liberal democracy altogether taking root because it's no longer empowering them. Not even pretending to take their forms, but just straight up abandoning them to try and seize power. Too little, too late. Christianity is a culture and it's on a pretty precipitous decline into irrelevancy because they can't adapt to the new culture. Or more likely don't want to in most cases.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 3, 2019

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Agreed. i don't think they are gonna be gone forever or anything. but i think they are gonna be pretty damaged after this. i am hoping we consolidate the house, take the senate(slim majority at least) and win the presidency.

The republican party is extremely fragile in its current state and has been for years. Their main constituency is old people and they're not making appeals to bring in young people. To shore up their numbers before they'd naturalize Hispanic people who would vote republican, but that won't fly anymore.

They won't go away, but there's a good chance that if they don't win in 2020 they will no longer be a party that can win presidential elections. If they lose the senate then the dems can pass voting reform, basically just pass the VRA again, and basically wipe them out for the next ten to twenty years. It'll cause the republicans either to reform or attempt a coup. Either or.

Their brand is ruined for the foreseeable future though. They're running interference for Trump and about 55% of people and climbing want his rear end out of office. Young people are way more politically active than my generation and their voting habits are being set now, and those habits are way more left wing than anything we've seen since the 1930's. Not all of them, but as an aggregate they're way more left wing than the country is used to, which is about center-left for any European country.

The only way thee republicans stay viable is to keep the senate, which I believe is their current goal. Divert all money away from the house and try to save the senate. This leverages their rural advantage and allows them to do what they did to Obama, which is to say no for as long as possible, stifling change and waiting for their time to come again while working the courts. If they lose the senate and the VRA is re-instituted, the republicans will never be a national party again until they reform. Their brand is so loving toxic that they'll spend the better part of a decade figuring out how to attract new blood while the boomers retire and die.

The end goal is to preserve white supremacy at all costs. If white supremacy goes, so goes the republican party and they are terrified of a level playing field with people that they have historically brutalized. Absolutely everything is on the chopping block, everything will be sacrificed, everything will be negotiated away so long as the Fox News crowd can preserve white supremacy. Nothing else matters to them. Without legal enforcement mechanisms for white supremacy, the maintenance of their power breaks down and a lot of poo poo becomes possible that otherwise never would have happened otherwise.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

sean10mm posted:

The Republican Party exists to serve the interests of the greed freaks by harnessing the votes of the religious nuts and white nationalists. I don't see how you decouple them.

Honestly? By prying religion out of the hands out the white supremacists. They have an extremely hard time getting people to pull the lever for white supremacy when it's not Jesus flavored. Religious identification is currently collapsing because young people aren't adopting Christianity like they used to with few exceptions.

People still will pull the lever for white supremacy, but the trappings of religion is the sugar coating that takes away the bitter taste. Without that, white supremacy can't remain nationally viable, especially as demographics continue to shift.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

NutShellBill posted:

Ukraine Clown Posse?

This right here. This is the good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kale posted:

I don't get it man, why don't Trump, Giuliani and Graham shut up just for like one day. They're kind of the 3 you can always count on to have terrible loving opinions and excuses for just about everything under the sun and in the news that day. I mean there's plenty of other high profile shitlord Trump people like Pompeo, Barr and Stephen Miller but they aren't in the news just absolutely constantly saying mind blowingly stupid and petty poo poo in the middle of yet another scandal situation. What is it with those 3 in particular? Even Dan Crenshaw who just loves to bleat off about the usual Trump Good/Dems Bad talking points hasn't weighed in much that I've been aware of.

I don't even think it's necessarily this threads slight bias for posting right wing hot takes fresh from twitter and laughing at them......Trump, Giuliani and Graham in particular really just do not shut up ever in giving their unsolicited opinions. They all remind me so incredibly much of your standard internet trolls general behavior patterns it's sad. As in the kind of waste of life that spends literally every waking minute shitposting in favored haunts and going out of their way to lie, slander and just make a shitshow of every situation through sheer volume and awfulness of their "input".

Trump and Giuliani have certain mental conditions. In Trump's case he is a narcissist. He will say anything, do anything to bring attention to himself, good or bad. Attention is his personal drug. Attention gives him identity, because as a narcissist, he doesn't have a personal identity and that is an ever-present, existential form of dread to have no idea who you are. Like having a gaping maw where your personality should be, or maybe a black hole, because he tries to suck as much attention as he can inside of it. But it will never be satisfied. He can hunger for more and more attention. He can only infer who he is from how people respond to him. And then only roughly. His goal in manipulating people is to craft a certain kind of identity for himself that he can enjoy which will push away the dread for a time.

In Giuliani's case, about two decades ago he took a particularly nasty spill at a party and developed a traumatic brain injury. Or at least that's the theory. His personality has been like we witness every day ever since. His brain is broken. You'll see personality changes fairly often in people who have TBI and those personality changes can be radical shifts. Often day and night in terms of contrast.

My guess for Graham is that he's either severely compromised or just a fascist bootlicker. Probably both. Nothing about his brain is particularly broken beyond the tongue bathing he gives to Trump. Most likely he's been sucked into that bubble that successful fascists surround themselves with where loyalty is paramount over anything else, including morality and competence.

So why can't they shut up? Well, Trump is incapable of doing so due to his narcissism. Giuliani has a broken brain in a different way. Graham has been sucked into Trump's bubble where his success depends on performative displays of loyalty to the narcissist/fascist. And a performance requires an audience, meaning as many people as possible. This includes Giuliani, because he reflects what Trump wants to hear. That they're doing crimes and that none of you can do anything about it. Violating law and tradition is a powerful drug for the narcissist. Hell, anyone really, but them especially.

The people who are staying quiet are people who have not been completely sucked into Trump's fascist bubble. They may be in their own and probably are, though whether they're unaware of it and are true believers in this or that strain of arch conservatism or if they're aware of it and are craven opportunists depends from person to person.

Edit: Llama tax.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 5, 2019