Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
gently caress ICE.

Today will be a day long remembered--it seen the death of dithering...it may soon see the end of Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
House Oversight committee: crimes, crimes-

Other dems: crimes, CRIMES

AOC and the rest of dems: CRIMES, CRIMES, CRIMES!

Pelosi: OK, maybe there were some crimes.

Edit: ^^ Calling Ukrainians russians is a good way to get your leg broken.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Ice Phisherman posted:

That's how it's going to be framed in the media and you know it.

Ugh. I'm just happy when they remember not to call it 'the' Ukraine.

If anyone needs me I'll be drinking in the corner.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Looking forward to all my Irish bartender friends illegally overstaying visas in NYC getting deported to ...*checks notes*... San Salvador

Somehow, I think they're not the ones ICE will raise a hue and cry over.

But yeah, maybe a quickie Spanish lesson might not be a bad idea.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Kavros posted:

Greta is something you couldn't even write as a foil to help display the boorishness and vileness of an entire political movement in a work of fiction. Like the part where people like her and Hogg become targets is... beyond satire.

Trump and the GOP have become such outlandish villains that one-dimensional Capt Planet bad guys would be like "Dude, WTF?"

Skeletor would be asking "what the hell is wrong with you?"

That evil slime that killed Yar in TNG would want a shower after interacting with them.

And yet, this is our reality. Welcome to HellWorld.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Uh huh. Now if he was factually right--hoo boy, there's be Pinocchios. Pinocchios as far as the eye could see...

Lol jk they'd never hurt Bidens feelings

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Trump can't deflect this to Pompeo. It's literally him on the phone; he can't claim some reagan-esque "I have no loving clue what happens here" in this case because it's what he was doing personally.

Which isn't to say he won't try to pull down everyone around him as he goes, but on this behavior it's unambiguous, undenied, and easily verified to be Trump. It's also well within the established wanna-be mob boss behavior pattern Trump follows.

That's why this could finally galvanize even Pelosi into doing a thing: it's splattered all over the windshield, and she can't simply claim that the road is merely bumpy this time.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

eke out posted:

yeah this is very obviously a demonstration of the "trump needs glasses and refuses to get them" theory

Muslim Ban!
Trumpy needs glasses...
Muslim Ban!
Trumpy needs glasses...

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

AOC comes out as a qanon follower! :tinfoil:
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1176533166686908418

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Soooo what would happen if Trump is impeached/voted out/etc, but refuses to leave? Military arrest?

Vanishingly small edge case. May as well speculate on the number of angels on a pinhead.

The senate will 99.999% not vote to convict--you need total dem/independent solidarity, PLUS 20 GOP defections.

And if they do, Trump's lost all his cover and support. Pence gets to play the adult in the room and have him tossed out the airlock white house.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/what_eats_owls/status/1176658890231926784

I mean, c'mon!!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

:lol: So that actually might have been the cleaned up version of the call's notes

https://twitter.com/amyfiscus/status/1177014939787173889

This is going to get absolutely insane, even by Trump standards, isn't it?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

So now house and senate folks have read the full whistleblower report, and tomorrow we hear from the DNI about why it was kept from them to begin with.
Meanwhile, Ukraine is all but confirming they were strong armed, and a potential second front is opening up re meddling in tax audits.

Its officially Infrastructure Week!!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Otteration posted:

:) Pretty sure that right now his 2020 chances look like burnt toast shoved into the disposal with a loud, "gently caress, how did I do that?!"

Don't discount the chud vote. Remember Duncan Hunter was indicted for fraud and still won handily.

That's on top of any election "irregularities" that Trump's allies engineer, from voter suppression to the ridiculously open-to-manipulation voting machines that McConnell is dead set on keeping exploitable. Trump won last time with a 50-70,000 vote margin distributed over 4 key states. It's not beyond the pale to look at that with a jaundiced eye, especially given later antics in Georgia and other places.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

It's to the point that Jackie Speier - who, I'll remind the audience, was on the tarmac alongside Leo Ryan at Jonestown and literally watched him get shot to death by cultists in '78 - looked wholly and entirely rattled when describing what she could of the report.

I am really starting to worry I wasn't far off the mark and may have been undershooting.

(Speier also may have let a little detail slip - the whistleblower is, evidently, a man.)

I am genuinely starting to wonder if the shot will be "shot quick" because a lot of these folks genuinely feel a duty to do so for national security purposes. Like, younger folks might not appreciate it - it's a bit weird to see some hard rear end political veterans look this genuinely rattled. :ohdear:

Naked, bald-faced corruption and abuse of power would do that to the decorum set and those used to more...nuanced...abuses of power.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Things are finally mattering. Sleep well for the first time in nearly 3 years.

Love to, but the insurance company is holding up my damned CPAP machine.

M4A, for reals.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Report is declassified?

OK God--LET ME HAVE IT

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

And it wouldn't be a Trump story without grift.

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/1177066190415519744

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

The Hill is just so terrible.
Let's play Find The Mistake!

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1177070539782815744

Edit: Looks like they still have some (much belated) editor control.

(They attributed a screed from Kevin McCarthy to Adam Schiff. Common mistake, I know)

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 26, 2019

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

pahuyuth posted:

word? I had no idea this happened

e: like for real funded it or was it just some weak bullshit

Weak bullshit.

It provides funding, but the turtle stripped out every mandate or guideline for Actual Security. So if you have a secstate who's into security--great!

If you have, say, the now-governor of Georgia....y'all hosed.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

pahuyuth posted:

I am, in fact, in Georgia. so yea. hosed. thanks for crushing that fleeting feeling of hope I had

Really, thinking that McConnell would let something like that slip. The man has a reputation to uphold!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Troops...TRooPs...TROOPS

They're desperate to throw up any interference and chaff

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

"I'm not gonna say it's illegal. Just that it's a no-no."

Good thing he's not in charge of sensitive information or anything.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

On the one hand, the mandatory GOP troops fellation is annoying.

On the other, it burns up 20s+ of their time so, cool.

Halloween Chinchilla tax:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

DNI: "IT WAS MY FIRST DAY!!!!!"

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean, lets be real. trump will probably fire him soon.

yeah the guy who mocked a immigrant girl with down syndrom getting ripped from her parents is gonna help me.

Well, he has the moral fibre to endeavor to do so, that's for certain.

Magpie hatted capybara tax:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

"No one is above the law, mr chairman"

"Is it though?"

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

The Director of National Intelligence: I have no idea what's going on. Where am I?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Phobic Nest posted:

I picture Trump's internal life to be more like Cooking Mama. Every action in his life takes less than a minute and then in his head he hears, "Perfect! Even better than Obama!"

Yes, every action.

Man, those soup making sections are rough. It's a real trick to not burn one or more ingredients.

Trump is self-destructing so spectacularly it's like Schiff called him a Laputan Machine or something.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Rudy is truly demonstrating the decision making abilities of someone who would put a terrorist response HQ in the very buildings that have a history of being attacked by terrorists.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

The Unite The Right guy:

https://twitter.com/EmilyGorcenski/status/1177304581111517192

Goddamn we live in the weirdest timeline.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

The 2nd amendment folks aren't getting thrown under the bus. They may grumble a bit but it's just so much wind and they know it.

Still, he's getting unhinged (even for him)--another few days of this and we may see some serious batshit stuff.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

I think they're starting to panic
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1177343605993803777

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

empty whippet box posted:

how ... why..does he...think this will help him...?

Rudy is not a smart man.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Puppetmaster defense is probably a very common theme there. Everything is unfolding exactly as Trump has foreseen.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Somewhat tangential to your point, but it reminds me: I think a lot of us assumed Trump was smart enough to put layers of fall guys between himself and Putin so that he wouldn't be directly implicated. But it turns out that's just because he wasn't president yet. Now that he has a direct line to foreign leaders, he just picks up the phone and colludes whenever he wants.

Partly this, but it's also important to remember he had a LOT more people around him when he started that protected him from himself. He's been paring down anyone who'd inhibit his impulses, so now we're seeing just how goddamn stupid unshielded Trump really is.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Giuliani is truly the bestest bestest lawyer ever.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/alex_mallin/status/1177672881205059585

Hmmmm....lot of trips to italy lately

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

All they need to do is pretend to be a news show and invite him on to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Jesus, this is unraveling fast.

We don't know what sort of protections the server has, but I can hazard the following:

1) Heavy logging --> anyone does anything, who/what/when is recorded.
2) Airgap means it's not connected to the building network. May mean it's completely standalone or on its own network.
3) Likely some sort of backups being done, but the retention period of old backups is unknown. Likely at least one set kept offsite.
4) Integrity of the data and its backups is unknown. If the WH IT people are ordered to wipe it, will they comply?
5) While budget is probably not an issue, Government IT inertia is a fearsome thing to behold. It's quite likely a legacy system, several years old.

Who maintains the White House IT? Military?