Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
we can save USPOL Fall Of Mankind for 2020, this works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ice Phisherman posted:

That's how it's going to be framed in the media and you know it.

he was specifically trying to threaten/extort/bribe the anti Russian Ukranian government and the non Fox (online article, dunno about non msnbc tv) media has actually been pretty clear about that so far because it's part of why the whole thing is terrible

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

it's my understanding that a committee on impeachment is how you get the legal status of a real deal big boy formal impeachment inquiry, unless you want to devote a very major part of the full House's business to it, which... I guess you could do but I'm not seeing the problem (assuming it is put together in a timely fashion)

I assume you could instead delegate the duty to House Judiciary but impeachment investigations aren't the only thing THEY do, so similar efficiency questions to spending House time on it

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

oh so nadler wanted it? if he thinks he'd be good for it i think i'd rather have it in judiciary then, but we'll see what this committee looks like if it happens

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

Ukraine should just burn him.

they're terrified of getting hung out to dry in the meantime, that's what the extortion / threats / bribery was about in the first place

Groovelord Neato posted:

the guy that's withholding it doesn't have the ability to do so once the person who passed it on to him determined it should be given to congress. of course like the rest of this admin rules don't apply to him.

congress has a really really strong case in court on this as a result though

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

*sighs and adds another tally mark to "Awful Authoritarians Trump Loves"*

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:golfclap:

for something resembling content:

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1176287558331846656

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Retro42 posted:

https://twitter.com/jakesherman/status/1176581805283184640?s=21

McConnell scrambling to try and kill the House impeachment.

well that's an... interesting move

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Huh. The House actually tried for impeachment a little.

Next up is collecting evidence and then a vote, right?

the investigation is more important than the vote and it sounds like we done got it :toot:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

god this is such a good day. good day at new job. stupid cool game stuff. impeachment possibly starting, trump getting mad and screaming on twitter. gently caress yeah good day.

and mtga expansion and first episode of the final Good Place season on Thursday

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

teacup posted:

So why actually “matters” with this? Like will Pelosi just say “oh we didn’t find enough evidence to actually begin hearings”? What’s the most likely scenario from here?

The way I understand-

Doing this starting bit of checking for what to impeach on
Probably go through the hearings interviews etc.
Trump and co stonewall and ignore subpoenas- nothing happens?
House votes to impeach
Goes to senate
Mitch doesn’t impeach?

I’m not trying to be pessimistic but what are the scenarios here?

buttloads of investigation of All The Crimes with improved subpoena power

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I'm hearing that Nancy scrapped the plan to have an Impeachment committee and instead will let the six individual committees conduct their own investigations because nobody wanted to give uo the gavel. Any truth to that?

that's my impression and I think I'm pretty happy with it

besides, it's not like there aren't six committees worth of crimes crimes crimes

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I love whoever runs the official dictionary twitter account

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1176592581070733312?s=19

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

MSNBC just reported that Trump called Pelosi today and asked if they could "work something out" with the ukraine thing.

Pelosi apparently said "yeah tell your people to stop breaking the law."

:laffo: I hope to Allah this is true

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tibalt posted:

Shutting the government didn't go so great for them last time, no.

Yeah the population / voters, while generally low info, are surprisingly good at figuring out who was responsible for the shutdown and then usually blaming them for it unless they had a really REALLY good reason.

If Trump causes a shutdown over impeachment investigations, then holy lol. Too bad about the human suffering involved though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Numlock posted:

She’s a jellyfish, all sting and no backbone.

and will inherit the earth :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1176620642642186240?s=19

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Edmund Lava posted:

Gabbard stated she’s not for it either. What the gently caress is going on in Hawaii?

turns out Hawaii is plotting to destroy the United States

which, frankly, is pretty fair

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

lili'uokalani will, at long last, have her vengance

pretty sure that's in leviticus

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

eviltastic posted:

Might've been, for all I know. Regarding the broader significance, it's a complicated answer and I gotta sleep, but I'll try to put together a post if nobody else mentions it and I get the time. Short answer is it's a good precedent that was also very inconvenient. Followup cases would be Ex parte Quirin, Johnson v Eisentrager, and a bunch of poo poo from the Bush administration because of course there was.

i, for one, have absolutely no interest in the deeply nerdy inner details of every single supreme court case and lower court case available on this topic or any other fascinating topic, and frankly it'd be weird if anyone thought i did

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

To be fair, I’m also not sure it is entirely unreasonable to expect Quislings to Quisling and that the Democrats would never finally make a move.

are you entirely incapable of accepting that House Democrats did a good thing?

edit: "o ho, we finally had something good happen, but have you considered that House Dems Are Bad nonetheless" is a Bad Take, just so we're clear here; it is demonstrably wrong, right now, today, in the most dramatic fashion since

uh

the coronation of Donald I Trump

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 25, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Majorian posted:

This is also true, although when applying prepositions to "Ukraine" in Russian, it takes on weird properties that aren't the case with most (maybe any?) other country. In Russian, as in English, you say "I am in America" or "I am in Russia." When you say "I am in Ukraine," it becomes "I am on [the] Ukraine." (ie: suggesting that you're literally on the edge of the empire)

wonder if that's the same in Polish

...which ALSO subjugated most/all of Ukraine for a while :v:

eke out posted:

the funny thing about getting mad at the Ukraine whistleblower's attorney is that...

dude was the IG who did the clinton email investigation lmao

lol i'm gonna have to remember that for chudchat, which happens sometimes given that I am in Texas

not THAT often though, I avoid expressing my opinions on politics for professional reasons

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Tulsi Gabbard is such an embarrassment goddamn. Like, who the gently caress is her base of support?

mazie hirono's from hawaii and owns so not ALL hawaiians are nutters, otherwise i'd just assume there's something in the water

nationally, tulsi's beloved of particularly stupid tankies, particularly ignorant leftists, particularly ignorant and/or terrible indian-americans, and democrats who really hate muslims

and has access to a huge pile of cash from terrible Indian-Americans

like, if she came seriously out against modi and his hindutva garbagemonsters, that would be a "gillibrand disses bill clinton for being ein sexmonster" pivot / act of moral courage, because her money lake would probably dry up on the spot

edit: also she isn't just not-pro-impeachment, she went on CNN yesterday and said it was a bad dangerous idea :lol:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1176609680048738305

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 25, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cefte posted:

It's really a pleasure to have you back, mate.

this but... unironically?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

I don't think they can, because "it was a year before" is a much, much simpler counter-narrative. Uranium One didn't get a lot of play in the media, either, because it was similarly stupid.

I'm still really irritated that the Uranium One thing got turned into stupid worthleas noise because it revealed some genuinely bad, genuinely scandalous corruption in the nuclear industry, and nobody knows cares or remembers because the GOP's takeaway was HILLARY HILLARY HILLARY ARGLBARGL

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cefte posted:

I wasn't being ironic. Too few oldschool goodposters left.

a very notmad poster once called me a "low rent evilweasel" and it was one of the finest compliments of my posting career :911:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Majorian posted:

Drag it out for the next 13 months, imo.

Yeah I think this is where I'm at, the closer we get to the election the more high risk high reward an actual impeachment vote becomes, and besides it's frankly entirely accurate to say "there are so many crimes that a year isn't nearly enough time to investigate them adequately". Just investigate All The Crimes with all six committees and let Sanders or Warren bludgeon him with them in the general.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

eke out posted:

im having trouble following evilweasel;s posts because the avatar is changing every four minutes due to so many people still holding a grudge lol

the weasel with The Quote is great, I hope it wins

it also makes him look like an rear end in a top hat if you hate him, so those posters should be fine with it too!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

yea 'her emails' were a low grade scandal because there was some shady bullshit in there and she 100% hosed with her poo poo to hide it but it was also a weird soupy mess of quasi-legal and probably low level illegal stuff wrapped in like ten different conspiracy theories ranging from normal 'uh yes I believe the secretary of state who was married to the former president and has a huge amount of wealth and power did some shady poo poo to benefit herself' to 'yes I do think Clinton eats baby hearts to fuel her child rape orgies what of it'. It was a mess because there were like ten different scandals and """""scandals""""" in one umbrella of 'clinton emails bad'.

This is pretty cut and dry, Biden's family benefited from his kid with zero reason to be there getting a nice board position, as many rich and connected families do. The prosecutor Biden told them to get rid of was famously corrupt and being demanded to leave by the IMF and EU as well and at the time not even properly investigating anything but rather using his typical method of 'hey give me a bribe or I'll prosecute you for made up poo poo'. Trump then asked the Ukrainian government to 'look into that' purely so he could have ammo to use in the election while discussing aid for the Ukrainian fight against Russia. Biden did a bad rich man thing, Trump probably tried to extort an ally for political gain, the end.

just out of curiosity, is there any actual evidence the guy was taking bribes, or is it just the same rumors and gossip I've heard (plus, you know, him being a Ukrainian government official so of COURSE he was taking bribes)?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

evilweasel posted:

the key thing to keep in mind is it's not only about the presidency: it will be difficult to take the senate, but if dems do take the senate much more can get done than if they don't, and if an impeachment trial makes it easier to knock off the fourth or fifth seat needed to take the senate, that's something really important.

Yeah that's the flip side, the reward could conceivably be worth the risk if impeachment is broadly popular enough.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

this is a big reason not to piss off a career intelligence guy, their job consists almost entirely of writing inhumanly detailed reports

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I was gone for months too but I’m glad no one noticed.

I did kinda wonder actually

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Everyone is glad evilweasel is back, but here I am slaving away in the posting mines every single day for yall and no one gives me any credit

you worked your way off my ignore list, so I guess everyone is capable of redemption

except fishmech

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

for anyone wondering how desperate the right wing media is for arguments other than 'buuuh who cares though' Fox literally just played Pelosi during the Clinton impeachments saying she was against it as if being against Clinton being impeached means you can't think Trump should be.

So, ya know, they're doing well.

lol

I will say, one of the more satisfying things about the last 24-48 hours has been various conservative elements losing their cool

Fox, Mitch McConnell frantically trying to derail the train, and of course President Crimes

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

19 o'clock posted:

Speaking strictly as an accountant of over a decade:

DON'T loving DO THAT

That's my free tax advice for the day. Consulting services are available at an impossibly modest Goon Discount™ of .69% off.

yeah this seems like something that will make people Real Mad who you don't eant even mildly miffed

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

look who's gonna be real surprised when he's reincarnated as a sixteenth century Belarussian peasant

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Dubar posted:

at this exact moment, the house is (unanimously!) passing a strongly worded letter which says, among other things, that the president cant do that

...unanimously?

GOP shook

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

19 o'clock posted:

For that matter, FUAXTON woke me up to the USPIS and how you REALLY shouldn't gently caress with the USPS:

yeah Postal Inspectors are probably the most terrifying law enforcement in the country

Do Not Steal Mail, Do Not Commit Mail Fraud, Do Not gently caress With The Mail Or Its Servants In Any Way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

I'm sorry what? He shut out diplomatic communication unless they agreed to discuss manufacturing dirt on his political opponent? God drat that's brazen.

this is not how i would have predicted the Mattering would happen but lol