Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Yeah, as trite as it is to phrase this way, I'd rather have a list of things we tried that failed (for one reason or another) than a list of things we should have tried. The Democratic Party needs to die and be reborn and if that can be done by infiltrating the body and replacing the spirit cool, but one way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I have coffee, weed, cigarettes, and leftover sushi and dumplings to go with a book on congressional fighting as this carnival whirs to dazzling life.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

cr0y posted:

This is a recurring theme and its super creepy and gross and I am not sure if they are all pervs or are just too stupid to realize how creepy they sound.

Although I remember the super weird fetishy poo poo that came out with Hogg so I guess they might just be closet pedophiles.

I’m fairly sure in the right wing playbook she’s just out of the range of hitting and now in the range of being hit on, but they confuse sex and violence so much it just comes out as jumbled sick perversion.

These are the people who’ve helped ratchet up our rape and incest stats to where they are right now.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

That doesn't make sense. They're infantilizing her. This isn't 4chan doing what they did with Hogg, the point is to call her a child.

I wouldn't trust them to know any boundary line between these things. They infantilize all women.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Do you have some kind of problem with me that compels you to keep clawing?

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

The context of what they're saying is exceedingly obvious, turning it into an accusation of pedophilia is dumb, words mean different things in different contexts

Openly supporting pedo poo poo is like the only thing that gets you tossed out of the right wing griftosphere, Senators aren't doing it jfc

If you want to argue that point you can do it alone because I'm not interested in whatever correction you feel needs to be made. Sorry for the offense I caused.

NewMars posted:

Rudy's gonna end up in a car trunk at the bottom of the Hudson.

he could also end up there because he decided to take a quick nap in the back seat to sleep off whatever he got sloshed on before his most recent CNN interview and forgot his parking brake.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 24, 2019

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Someone said it earlier somewhere else but having the audience clap and applaud as she promised to bring great vengeance to them if they failed was a pretty good encapsulation of the problem. Same earlier poster said everyone in that room thought they were the exception.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Nonsense posted:

California's not awake yet.

Sunlight slowly peaks over the range of light, sierra ravines and passes flowing with the golden glow of tweets from the east.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

BMB5150 posted:

FWIW

https://twitter.com/howardfineman/status/1176539782861729792

I won't get my hopes up until she says it.

I won't even get my hopes up until a few days after she says it when the time for them to rearrange words and take back or soften statements has at least ebbed.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Having a good laugh at "lethal aid"

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Zotix posted:

Are people actually surprised he did this? Wasn't the rear end in a top hat asked a few months ago after the Mueller report came out, directly if he would ask for dirt on a political rival? And he basically said yeah he would.

the surprise is that the democrats are actually maybe kinda starting to do something about any of it.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol Rep Mike Quigley on CNN who just read the whistleblower report "This is the political equivalent of shooting someone on 5th Avenue"

so in other words Trump could do it and get away?

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

To address your actual question: last I heard, there hasn't been a lot of contact with him w/r/t returning to the country and when he would do so given the severity of what's happening.

We should fully expect him to go missing this weekend or early next week, though the EU is simultaneously a great and terrible place to do that

Barr barr barr barr Bill Barr rannnnn

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Tatsuta Age posted:

Cool, this is all normal and good

lol they've been preparing for so long, best of luck nazi scum

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

ManBoyChef posted:

Im a little worried that some extremely partisan chuds are going to actually think there is a civil war and maybe start attacking people. I guess I just need to be talked down, but does anyone else think it is possible that a lot of these right wing militias might do something a little more daring than taking over a nature preserve?

I mean it's still not a reason to panic, but they've been organizing and planning decentralized terrorism for twenty years, and the the closest thing to a code word would be the president calling for civil war.

Civil war is kinda something you can start if you believe it has started, too.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

With all this civil war talk, I have some notes from The War On Everyone:

quote:

During this time, in the late 1970’s, Louis Beam was very active…Started Camp Polar, a paramilitary training camp in Oklahoma, where white supremacists instructed Explorer Scouts for civil war with the left, blacks, and Jews, homosexuals, and communists, etc…Parents of the children were outraged when they learned their 15-19 year old kids were learning paramilitary techniques and racial slurs at the camp. Training and loading using live ammunition. During these years there was less daylight between military and extremist groups, kkk membership wasn’t explicitly forbidden…many joined both…weapons smuggling also was common in the direction of extremist groups…Oregon stand-off is a more modern example of this history playing out…

quote:

Louis Beam admitted he set had up computer bulletin boards for different fascist groups around the country, but denied the boards were used for any illicit communication. He said he was changing his daughter’s diapers when the reported meeting that created the Order took place. He ended one speech in his defense with an almost word for word recitation of something he’d written in Essays of Klansman, that he’d written about the protesters he encountered at home:

“As I sat there watching the flag disintegrate, rage and bitterness began to engulf me. The flames consuming the flag changed to flames enveloping an armored personnel carrier in the hobo woods north of Saigon. The cheers of the demonstrators became the screams of a 19 year old solider over his radio as he burned to death, trapped inside what was fast becoming his coffin. The clapping of hands as the flag fell to the ground, became the deafening roar of my M60 machine gun as I literally melted the barrel in an attempt to pin the enemy down long enough for the dying soldiers friends to reach him. Finally, at last, came the laughter of those demonstrators as they spit on the ashes at their feet, blending in my mind with the sobs of grown men as I remembered the armored personnel carrier, disappearing in a ball of orange flame.”—Louis Beam

After seven weeks of trial, Louis Beam and all of his fellow defendants, were found not guilty of seditious conspiracy. They were released, free to return to their movements. The justice department had taken its shot at the intellectual center of white supremacism—they’d failed. Ultimately, it didn’t come from law enforcement’s unwillingness to prosecute nazi revolutionaries, but from ordinary white Americans who sympathized with these men. Men who billed themselves as warriors against communism, and patriotic Americans. The leaders of the white supremacist had gotten off mostly scot-free, but the court battle and months on the lam had aged them all horribly. Richard Butler’s influence would gradually fade as he returned to Idaho. Louis Beam would continue to be influential, but he was much quieter and careful from now on. The heat brought on by the crackdown had forced Beam to retire his inter-Klan newsletter and survival alert: the last issue contained an essay by an unknown author, probably Beam:

“The second american revolution will be a revolution of individuals, a revolution without exact precedent in recorded history, because individuals can accomplish complex acts of resistance without peril or betrayal or even detection by the most advanced snooping devices. Missions formerly assigned to groups may be undertaken by individuals equipped to fight alone.”—Louis Beam

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

bobjr posted:

Imagine what those Civil War letter readings would sound like with today’s technology and language updates

Well they'd select the most eloquent ones today as they did then, and leave all the "Trator tory scum poo poo rear end" letters in a bin just the same.

lol there was a congressman who went too close to the Bull Run battlefield and ended up a POW for a few years. They went to check it out the first time because they'd spent so much time fantasizing about it and talking that way. Turns out war was ugly and they didn't like it after that.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 30, 2019

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I love the idea that proof of being a moderate can be read off a score card.
I mean you could let the overton window determine context, but that seems pretty stupid.

What the hell.

e: the end game of politics is ragnarok

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 11, 2019

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

YodaTFK posted:

It's a good thing nobody is doing that and the only real controversy here is certain people looking for any excuse to be mad at others online

Oh well I'll defer to you since I can't read posts myself. Good on you for being the voice of reason.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Why does this thread always have the melodrama of a games thread that derailed into politics.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

oxsnard posted:

This is unironically true, but foolish in retrospect to have assumed it happened with Obama's election

I mean it was pretty stupid then too, and the demographics of fascism changing isn’t going to fix anything either

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

There was every sign and still is, but even now people call it hysterical and others accuse people of degrading their mental health at the mention of it. People can now vote who weren’t alive when this really started rolling faster. Interestingly they are the ones more willing to face the horror.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

For the people actually caring about the “nature” of the country, those ships sailed a long time ago (out of england filled with religious fundamentalists and capitalist slavers)

The narrative that we are still redeemable is just pathetic at this point. Why should we be? Where does that silly self importance come from? We are a colony run amuck and our conception of ourselves as influential is entirely based upon attacking other countries and then warping the meaning of what we did. Yes we had influence, but it was almost never lead by example. Our “ideals” are a cut and paste collage of marketing techniques shaped to resemble what people think were the ideals of great ancient societies which themselves collapsed.

Think about how much oxygen the USA has sucked out of universal civil rights over 200+ years. You can’t bemoan the current state of affairs in a country founded on slavery, no matter how much that society rationalizes away the basis for their expectations for life. No ethical consumption under capitalism, as it pertains to america, is more of a statement of intent than recognition of a certain futility. It’s just how it is, and these types of societies never fade quietly they go out with a bang and collapse. They believed themselves important enough to set an example for the world, and that same attitude is what justifies running everyone else over.

Im sure native people stay awake at night worrying about the soul of the nation.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

pkay posted:

Here is the thing though, what do you think rises from the ashes of an American collapse? Who/What do you think occupies the power vacuum that is created with the collapse of US (and shortly thereafter western liberalism)?

I mean its a good question and the answer is hopefully not western liberalism. Scary, yeah, but we were never in control, just hurting people to feel like we were.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

Reverse American exceptionalism is ALMOST as bad as the inverse

Reverse nationalism? Lol

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It is a well known fact that everything bad started in 1776.

Nice whataboutism in a discussion about the United States

As for the threads purpose, yeah, everything bad about USPolitics specifically started round-thereabouts

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

PIZZA.BAT posted:

America is absolutely redeemable. We came incredibly close to building a kind-of communist state before the Reagan-Thatcher Neoliberal revolution where capital was genuinely losing control to worker-owned retirement accounts. We did it before and we can do it again.

I agree but I wouldn’t call it redemption. It would be totally new ground we’ve barely trod. We weren’t born in innocence and then corrupted by sin

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

oxsnard posted:

From 1929-1945 or so we were pretty drat ok, all things considered

I’d be curious here what your specific cultural background is, because....uh...we were pretty drat okay, as long as no things are considered.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

If you’re going to post that poo poo you could at least be funny though

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Clearly every political ideology deserves a modicum of respect and there’s a nugget of truth in both parties lol what the gently caress are people saying. The right wing is just the monarchy, that is what they are trying to conserve. They voted against the french revolution thats entirely why they are called the right. Seriously does no one actually ever wonder why they are called left and right? I get that time has passed and contexts change but loving look at what they support and have supported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

The fact that the Republican party as formed in the mid 19th century has become this is sad and pathetic, but it was in their DNA from the beginning outside of the abolitionist arm of the party.