Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Roblo posted:

I can't get over the US president publically mocking an obviously emotional 16 year old girl who just wants the best for the whole planet. I just can't.

I know he's done so many other awful things, but it's just so loving spiteful. Some of the poo poo his supporters are saying online, I reported someone earlier detailing how they wanted to smash her face in with a brick :(

Take comfort in the fact that all the people saying things like this are pathetic, withered husks of human beings who have been abandoned by their families and are incapable of experiencing happiness.

They're the population of Free Republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

ewiley posted:

I was riding into work with a lady who was listening to some kind of talk radio wherein they discussed how the whistleblower wasn't even listening to the call! therefore this wasn't real. As if this had any bearing on the fact that the president himself literally blurted out crimes.

The amount of cognitive dissonance and willful ignorance is stunning but the spin coming from the right is just painful to listen to.

Well, I mean, let's say you're one of the people trying to spin this and you don't have brainworms. What do you do? I mean, it's becoming patently obvious that the President of the United States threatened to withhold military aid from Ukraine if they didn't investigate a political opponent of his. Trump has admitted to talking about Biden on the call, and it's already known that he told Mick Mulvaney to put a hold on the $400 mil we were about to send them.

At this point, if your brain isn't swiss cheese and you're spinning this for Trump, your denials will sound ridiculously stupid.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

I think what McConnell will PROBABLY do is slam the vote through in 20 minutes, dismissing it as partisan nonsense. He tries to not do things that draw attention to himself, and I think that not hearing impeachment will catch public attention much more than not hearing judges.

Knowing this, you'd want to make sure the Senate gets ahold of it with a month or less to go before the elections--that way the vulnerable GOP senators can be strung up by their feet for voting nay (or sacrificed to the White Hot Ball of Rage by their MAGA constituents for voting yea).

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Remember how I said they'd try to distract?

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1176568991722221575?s=20

There's your fox news headline.

Who cares? If Fox wants to gently caress this chicken while everyone else is talking about the first Congressional Select committee since loving Watergate, fine.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Arist posted:

Shut the gently caress up Comey, this is at least partially your fault

Yeah, the first thought that popped into my head was "You're one of the main reasons we even have to deal with this, shut the gently caress up, Sasquatch".

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

mdemone posted:

Not hard to spin. Just don't say any of that and talk about how Biden is corrupt. Their viewers don't have other sources of information.

Well, it works for Fox, so I guess if your intent is to keep the chuds corralled, then sure--this is effective spin.

It doesn't work for anything else, however.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Today every single american work place, barbershop, bar, etc. will probably talk about the impeachment getting started. I feel like that requires something better than just burying their heads in the sand as a messaging strategy

Trump has, inadvertently, written the storyline fairly clearly through his tweets and his public statements. He has admitted to putting pressure on Ukraine to investigate Joe Biden. He has copped to withholding military aid. We know these two things happened; the only thing we do not have conclusive proof of is that they were connected. That's what the whistleblower will clear up, no matter how many times Trump screams about his lawyer once working for the Clintons.

The problem, for the Trump loyalists, is that unlike the Russia story, the Ukraine story is extremely cut-and-dried. It's very hard to spin.

pacerhimself posted:

My favorite part of the frantic Monday night tweet storm retweeting anything and everything from Fox News was the claim tucked into one of the tweets that it is in fact the Democrats that are scrambling.

Yes, tell me more.

It's called projection; the GOP practices it a lot.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

I honestly believe that decades of using that as a defense has left the the GOP full of people who don't know that it is a bullshit cover story. They really think the Democrats constantly get away with much worse so they don't bother to hide what they are doing and are shocked when they get caught.

That's what happens when you spend a hundred years huffing your own farts--you forget what fresh air smells like.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I do not get why would Trump release whistleblowers report if it is bad to him. If the whitehouse was trying to block it last week because it was credible and serious, why release it today.

Good question. The optimist in me would like to say it's because they realized how much legal hot water they'd be in if they didn't, but the realist knows better.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Whitlam posted:

Hey now.

Musical theatre nerds do too.

"The Ballad of Czolgosz" is one of my favorite tunes from that show :allears:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Copyright infringement is :waycool:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

This talking point of ‘Dems refuse to accept 2016 results’ is pretty loving weak considering no one on the Dem side has even brought that up

It's projection. They would be, so why wouldn't the Democrats be as well?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

What? No, that's not the move now. Pretend it's exact, because it makes him look more guilty.

That was only the move if the transcript looked good for President Deals.

Disagree--they should push hard on both fronts. "This summarized version of the transcript shows clearly that President Trump tried to pressure a foreign ally into investigating one of his political opponents; imagine what the ACTUAL transcript of the call says!"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

lmao

Myth: OJ stabbed the victim 27 times.

Fact: He only stabbed her 7 times!

LMAO they sent copies of these things to House Dems then tried to recall the emails :laffo:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

If you don't utter the phrase "quid pro quo" it's not a crime

You laugh, but this is exactly what the Republicans who are spinning this are trying to sell us.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

"Just a little more treason and I'll get that DNI job for sure" - Devin Nunes, probably.

Can't be appointed acting DNI unless you've been Senate-confirmed for something else, and it's not a given that Nunes would be confirmed.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

This is Devin Nunes, I don't think he knows that, considering he and Radcliffe were literally playing "The Apprentice" for Trump during the Mueller hearing.

True, but he tried to put Ratcliffe up for the permanent position and had to pull him.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mahoning posted:

So it seems that the GOP members of the committee are going to attack the process of what went on rather than the substance. They're also tone policing. They know they can't really attack this on the facts they're just like "This shouldn't be going on in the public and this is tearing our country apart and I'm sorry Mr. Director if the Dems are mean to you."

That's a good sign. If they aren't attacking the substance they know the substance is unassailable and they're instead angling to please their pearl-clutching boomer faithful on Fox--as well as their lord and master in the White House.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

This doesn't feel like the mattering.

It's not supposed to be.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

It really would not surprise me if he just says "wull CLEARLY there's no point in wasting our time on these blatantly false accusations, no vote required, TIME FOR LUNCH"

This would be worse for him than if he rushed through a vote in 20 minutes.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Would a Trump impeachment, unlikely as it is, actually bar him from getting elected to a second term?

I'm not sure; but given that he'd be dealing with several state-level crimes the minute he no longer holds the Presidency AND he'd be pushing 80 by the time he got to run again, I'm not sure he'd be capable of doing it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
e: sorry, doublepost.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

I'd like to believe that, but on the other hand, Merrick Garland.

This isn't that. Sitting on an impeachment vote will hurt any GOP senator who's even remotely vulnerable, moreso even than if they cast a vote that pissed off the chuds. McConnell wants this to go away. Sitting on it will achieve the opposite effect--and remember, Mitch himself is up for reelection in November, so holding a snap vote to exonerate Lord Pissbaby will help him out far more than ignoring it and hoping it goes away.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Adam Schiff literally did not do any of that. He read from the memo that was provided that says "This is not a transcript" like right at the top.

Christ, if they're going to lie, they should at least put some effort into it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
He's losing his loving mind.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

pacerhimself posted:

What is the actual claim here? I know it's bullshit without looking it up but specifically, what did Schiff say.

Schiff read from the memo that the White House released in the hopes that it would make the problem go away (but which actually made it a thousand times worse). The memo says at the top that it isn't a transcript, but one of the boobs on Fox and Friends made something up and Donny is just parroting what he heard.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

hidden_msg posted:

Full Disclosure: I have no idea who this guy is I just know he gets posted in here a lot.
https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1177407029482274816

Michael Tracey is a huge disingenuous piece of poo poo who once claimed Maxine Waters assaulted him because he asked her a completely stupid question once, she ignored him, then brushed past him when she walked away.

He is garbage and his opinions are, universally, garbage.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177579380819845120

WHISTLEBLOWER ISNT A WHISTLEBLOWER ARGLEBARGLE

Edit: ooof full blown narc paranoia is here and ho boi is it a doozy

"IF HE'S A WHISTLEBLOWER, WHERE DID HE GET THE WHISTLE?!?!?! CHECKMATE LIBS!!!!!"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Riatsala posted:

I've got a bad feeling that they're going to regroup over the weekend and jump into a more coordinated defense in time for the Monday news cycle, but I'm not saying it'll be effective.

I'm having a real hard time imagining what that coordinated defense will be--we already saw their talking points.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Tibalt posted:

I really want to know what the gently caress is going on in the White House right now. Do they have a war room? Is everyone being paranoid that they're being set up? Is everyone trying to figure out who the 12 moles are?

They do not have a war room; there was an article yesterday that said as much. Trump is doing nothing to prepare for this, much like everything else in his life.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Aspergeoisie posted:

Let me know when you have anything more than a crime invented by way of investigating other supposed crimes that never happened, none of which Trump was ever or will ever be charged with committing.

Politicians don't suddenly become criminals because you don't like the way they talk.

The report specifically states that it does not exonerate the President. Robert Mueller made it pretty clear in his follow-up testimony that were he not President, he'd be going down for obstruction of justice, among other crimes.

I think maybe you're the one who's not arguing in good faith here, friend.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
And after that it was Trump drawing on a map with a Sharpie to "prove" that Alabama was within Hurricane Dorian's range.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so he is basicaly he is the Leon Czolgosz of clintonites?

I would have said Charles Guiteau myself. Czolgosz was just a crazy anarchist. Guiteau was a wannabe party insider.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Gah, I hate when news orgs do this. Just publish what you have; usually it's not worth the buildup anyway.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Majorian posted:

I don't know how you can say that, when Kurt Eichenwald's built-up expose of Trump was well worth the wait and greatly affected the 2016 election.

Wasn't he the hentai guy? I keep getting him confused.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Cactrot posted:

If this is it, it doesn't look like much out of the ordinary, just getting paid to go to a Russian funded conference.

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1178020333938458625

O....kay? They probably should lead with why this is a revelation.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Zotix posted:

So the Republicans want to censure Schiff for his parody? loving lol.

They can't do anything; it's posturing and pearl-clutching for their idiot legions on Fox and nothing more.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

Does "others end in ashes" some cryptic warning that he blow everything up if he loses/ is impeached?

No, I think it's just his assertion that all the previous investigations into him have not resulted in his removal from office so therefore they weren't worth anything.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

ManBoyChef posted:

I cant believe he really thinks he did those things. He always makes it out like he got bequeathed the worst economy but things were actually great when he got it. Too bad chuds are just to misinformed to have any idea what the reality of the situation is

Things weren't great, but they certainly weren't the Mad Max/Thunderdome bullshit he's making them out to be.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Those dogs look like they'd like nothing more than to escape the hell they're currently in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

We've reached Pissbaby Tantrum Level Ten.

Good.