Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

DarkDobe posted:

Is there a handy list of locations worth visiting during a regular run?
I didn't even know about the hourglass (or the hiisi shop) but I'm sure there are other places worth visiting along the way down the main path?

The only one I regularly aim for is the fungal caverns, for the better wands and item density - and tripping balls of course.

I also only just learned about how the 'formations' and heart/chest spawn locations work, so it's another thing I'm now being mindful of, especially in the first three floors.

The temple to the left of the snowy depths will probably have 2-3 feral wands with good stats and spells. The enemies in there are tougher but there are fewer of them and they have limited approach angles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Clark Nova posted:

The temple to the left of the snowy depths will probably have 2-3 feral wands with good stats and spells. The enemies in there are tougher but there are fewer of them and they have limited approach angles

“Feral” wand?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Clark Nova posted:

I only really go in there if I've found all seeing eye.

-----

I ran into a really odd enemy that I'm not finding on the wiki:
It was a floating purple ghost looking dude with a really simple sprite - that just floated around after me constantly radiating a purple slime aura?
I've never seen it before or since (but I saw one with a red aura another time)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

madmatt112 posted:

“Feral” wand?

Levitating wands that shoot themselves at you. When you kill the wand, it becomes usable like a regular wand.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
My usual pattern is fungal caves to get a good wand or two started, and usually by Jungle I have something to start killing bosses - bridge, pyramid, dragon. If not, or if I’m still putting some wands together then I go browse wands in the fungal altar zone next to the pyramid and then I’m usually set to do whatever

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think you probably *can* get the Pyramid Orb on a large proportion of runs, it just takes so long that I don't bother unless I get Acceleratium.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Even though you can get it right from the start on every run you probably shouldn’t. 2 guaranteed hearts right next to each other (orb and boss) in a zone that frequently has heart mages let’s you get a stupidly large health pool as soon as you find a reliable digging and movement method.

Also 5+ minutes of walking for 25 hp is a bad deal, respect your time.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

DarkDobe posted:

I ran into a really odd enemy that I'm not finding on the wiki:
It was a floating purple ghost looking dude with a really simple sprite - that just floated around after me constantly radiating a purple slime aura?
I've never seen it before or since (but I saw one with a red aura another time)

I think you found a https://noita.wiki.gg/wiki/Aave which have been in the beta for a while, and probably only were added to the main branch recently.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Stoca Zola posted:

I think you found a https://noita.wiki.gg/wiki/Aave which have been in the beta for a while, and probably only were added to the main branch recently.

That's the one!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

idiotsavant posted:

Last time I did Vampirism I just put chainsaws on everything & filled up every zone with blood

I wish vampirism scaled more as you get more HP. Great at first, but quickly becomes pretty pointless.

DarkDobe posted:

I only really go in there if I've found all seeing eye.

Keep an eye out for delicious worm blood in the Snowy Depths too, as they spawn in there pretty frequently.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Gromit posted:

I wish vampirism scaled more as you get more HP. Great at first, but quickly becomes pretty pointless.

Yeah even with like 150-200 hp I still took way too much time sawing up corpses & drinking blood. A full blood potion heals like 75 hp or something. It's not terrible as an early crutch to get you past the start and into some good wands but falls off pretty quick after that

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The vampirism perk should enable you to drink blood, specifically, super duper fast, and also to drink it while submerged in it. You should make a comical SLOOOOORP sound effect and drain an entire room in 1.5 seconds when you hold the down arrow

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
You should be able to suck blood out of suitable monsters with your kick button. Then again, that sounds like a good way to get melee'd to death so for all I know it already works like that but no-one is dumb enough to try it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Come now, this is Noita. You'd be able to suck blood out of any monster.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

Come now, this is Noita. You'd be able to suck blood out of any monster.

no, this is noita, half the monsters should be full of deadly acid

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

no, this is noita, half the monsters should be full of deadly acid

They already are, that's the joke.

(Well, some of them are filled with lava or polymorphine.)

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Vampirism is the funniest perk for the dumbass alchemist.

Proposal: life eternal, draining the life force of your foes

Reality: You're schlepping a chainsaw through Hiisi Base, fastidiously liquifying every oozing nugget of flesh you can find. The 3 lowest floors of the base are completely filled with cloudy, scabrous blood mixed with various impurities. You have to choke down 113 cubic meters of blood to recover 95 hp.

After hours of grim labor, you finally submerge yourself up to your neck in the foul sludgy blood lake and begin thirstily gulping. You wonder where all the blood goes, since you're not getting any bigger.

For the 80th time today, you gag on your own vomit.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dobbymoodge posted:

Vampirism is the funniest perk for the dumbass alchemist.

Proposal: life eternal, draining the life force of your foes

Reality: You're schlepping a chainsaw through Hiisi Base, fastidiously liquifying every oozing nugget of flesh you can find. The 3 lowest floors of the base are completely filled with cloudy, scabrous blood mixed with various impurities. You have to choke down 113 cubic meters of blood to recover 95 hp.

After hours of grim labor, you finally submerge yourself up to your neck in the foul sludgy blood lake and begin thirstily gulping. You wonder where all the blood goes, since you're not getting any bigger.

For the 80th time today, you gag on your own vomit.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Been getting back into Noita, been playing it one off here and there but last time I played it a bunch was when the pyramid in the east was small. Been trying to do exploration since I've gotten the standard ending already in 1.0.

Made myself a wand that rapid fires Summon Tentacle with Timer to cast Explosion of Thunder, with the wand always casting Lightning Thrower. I had gotten electric immunity, freeze field for fire immunity, and exploding corpses for explosion immunity. I already made the gods angry so I was testing out the digging for it after seeing it could destroy brickwork, and then go exploring side areas afterwards.

It was working well until I got stuck in the ceiling and started suffocating because it didn't actually destroy the brickwork, just turned it black and dislocated it, so it was just piling up under my feet. No big deal, I'll just pull out my Plasma Cutter wand to get myself out.

The plasma beams spawned inside my head instead of from the wand :negative:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Noita: It was working well until

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

sebmojo posted:

:yeah:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

sebmojo posted:

agreed

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Me "ok i think ive finally figured out chainsaws.

Noita "then you can't have anymore"

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Floodkiller posted:

It was working well until I got stuck in the ceiling and started suffocating because it didn't actually destroy the brickwork, just turned it black and dislocated it, so it was just piling up under my feet.

Lightning thrower is basically optimized for flashy lights and unintended consequences

https://i.imgur.com/Gl7137F.mp4

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
well, that's one way to collapse the mountain. :stare:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

ZeusCannon posted:

Me "ok i think ive finally figured out chainsaws.

Noita "then you can't have anymore"

I had:

Me: Oh nice - got wand tinkering really early, this will be fun.

Noita: No wands for you. Get wrecked at the Snowy Depths!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was playing yesterday and shot one of the flaming skulls that drop exploding gunpowder when shot. They were next to a portal to Holy Mountain, and after I killed them and the little explosions went off.. the portal went away! I've never seen that before, I didn't know that could happen!

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I was playing yesterday and shot one of the flaming skulls that drop exploding gunpowder when shot. They were next to a portal to Holy Mountain, and after I killed them and the little explosions went off.. the portal went away! I've never seen that before, I didn't know that could happen!

There's an eye in the brickwork under each portal filled with teleportium, if you remove that the portal vanishes. I'm guessing the random gunpowder explosions managed to burn it away.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh THAT'S why that stuff is there!?! :doh:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
yup, and it's also a hint towards the broken eye you can sometimes find in the snowy depths

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I don't have a good gif yet of my run in thanks for the thread title, so here's one of me making Minä regret life (I'm near the top of Lukki Lair and it's slime all the way down):

Edit: Okay there we go, what the gently caress is this thing and how did it melt me instantly through 1000 HP (spoilers apparently)

vvv Okay, spoiled it but I still am confused about what it is or why it appeared and destroyed me :(

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 12, 2024

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Floodkiller posted:

Edit: Okay there we go, what the gently caress is this thing and how did it melt me instantly through 1000 HP

lol id keep this one spoilered

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Oh yes, that fucker. It reflects damage. ALL damage. Your immunities don't matter. Only Ambrosia can save you from vaporizing yourself. It's possible to brute force the thing to death if you have that, but IMO it's usually smartest just to give that annoying bastard a wide berth.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I just lost a game of Noita because I fatfingered the 4 key instead of the 3 key and sat in cursed rock firing off freezing glare instead of infinite black hole+heal. This, too, is Noita.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Noita: It was working well until something with a "curious flight pattern" showed up and I just had to test it despite my low health. Oh and I found out about essences on the next run but I didn't have any immunities...

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Floodkiller posted:

I don't have a good gif yet of my run in thanks for the thread title, so here's one of me making Minä regret life (I'm near the top of Lukki Lair and it's slime all the way down):

Edit: Okay there we go, what the gently caress is this thing and how did it melt me instantly through 1000 HP (spoilers apparently)

vvv Okay, spoiled it but I still am confused about what it is or why it appeared and destroyed me :(

It appeared because you killed more than 30 innocents (fish/sheep etc.) I have no idea how you’re supposed to fight it, the only time I killed it I had infinite healing, saving grace and ambrosia and just outlasted it trying to instagib me.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I got to Hiisi Base with 1000HP and a pingpong lumi drill. Shotgun guy popped up with a wand, hit me with a "you now emit lightning bolts continuously" sparkbolt, and I immediately disintegrated. Nice work, dickhead.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

what's unti

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Every time I find that "target casts x" modifier I inevitably stick it to a flying enemy and then Deeply Regret my brief existence afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

uPen posted:

It appeared because you killed more than 30 innocents (fish/sheep etc.) I have no idea how you’re supposed to fight it, the only time I killed it I had infinite healing, saving grace and ambrosia and just outlasted it trying to instagib me.

Does that include frogs? Because those fuckers are legitimately scarier than anything on the first couple of floors and I kinda need to kill them.