Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I just turned blood into whiskey and the run is INTERESTING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Nee player question. I have a non-shuffle wand with 5 spells/cast and 6 spell slots. When I equip it with the following spells/modifiers:

code:
Sparkly Bounce
Light
Spark Bolt With Trigger
Toxic Mist
Every cast fires a spark bolt that generates damaging sparks and a cloud of toxic mist upon hitting a surface. This is the behavior I expect. However, I am confused by what happens when I add another Spark Bolt with Trigger, like so:

code:
Sparkly Bounce
Light
Spark Bolt With Trigger
Spark Bolt With Trigger
Toxic Mist
The behavior I would expect here is that each cast would generate a spark bolt that generates damaging sparks and another spark bolt upon hitting a surface, and that spark bolt would in turn generate toxic mist upon hitting a surface. That’s not what’s happening. It’s quite hard to tell what is happening, a fact which has often hampered my ability to understand the wandcrafting system and thus enjoy the game. I’m hoping someone here can help.

I think what’s happening is that each cast generates two spark bolts that perfectly overlap each other, one of which generates sparks upon hitting a surface. Since they overlap perfectly it’s impossible to tell from looking at the projectile whether it’s two or just one, but I think it’s two because the board in the holy mountain shows two spark bolt with trigger symbols when I cast. The toxic cloud just… never happens? That’s the most confounding part to me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ariong posted:

Nee player question. I have a non-shuffle wand with 5 spells/cast and 6 spell slots. When I equip it with the following spells/modifiers:

code:
Sparkly Bounce
Light
Spark Bolt With Trigger
Toxic Mist
Every cast fires a spark bolt that generates damaging sparks and a cloud of toxic mist upon hitting a surface. This is the behavior I expect. However, I am confused by what happens when I add another Spark Bolt with Trigger, like so:

code:
Sparkly Bounce
Light
Spark Bolt With Trigger
Spark Bolt With Trigger
Toxic Mist
The behavior I would expect here is that each cast would generate a spark bolt that generates damaging sparks and another spark bolt upon hitting a surface, and that spark bolt would in turn generate toxic mist upon hitting a surface. That’s not what’s happening. It’s quite hard to tell what is happening, a fact which has often hampered my ability to understand the wandcrafting system and thus enjoy the game. I’m hoping someone here can help.

I think what’s happening is that each cast generates two spark bolts that perfectly overlap each other, one of which generates sparks upon hitting a surface. Since they overlap perfectly it’s impossible to tell from looking at the projectile whether it’s two or just one, but I think it’s two because the board in the holy mountain shows two spark bolt with trigger symbols when I cast. The toxic cloud just… never happens? That’s the most confounding part to me.
perhaps the extra trigger bolt is running you out of mana and skipping spells? can you post the rest of the wand's stats?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

perhaps the extra trigger bolt is running you out of mana and skipping spells? can you post the rest of the wand's stats?

Oh, I think that must be it. The wand’s stats are:

Cast Delay 0.10s
Recharge Time 1.08s
Mana Max 70
Mana Charge Speed 225
Capacity 6
Spread -2.0°

So it has a mana max of 70 and the mix of spells I had in it cost… 71! Taking out the light modifier brought it down to exactly 70 and now it works as expected. Thank you.

Is it generally welcome for new players to post questions in this thread regarding wand building?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

anyone objecting to that is an rear end in a top hat, no worries

that said if you're down for self-research there's always https://noita.wiki.gg which has progressively more detailed guides on how wands work (the big secret: noita is a card game/deckbuilder. no, seriously); and there's other web resources like the noita wand simulator (which I set to your wand and loadout, except with 170 mana capacity - changing it to 70 does indeed remove the toxic mist from your casts, which comes back when you remove the light & 2nd spark bolt as you described)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 13, 2024

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

however as payment you must turn on the replay recorder and post them whenever it was working well until

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wait where's the l in the thread title i just noticed that :psyduck:

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

New, intense, searing hatred for the 'flumoxium' radiating ghost rear end in a top hat.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I do have another question. Do the effects of magic liquids just not work on enemies? I keep spraying Pheremones, Flukmoxoniuk, Polymorphium, etc. on enemies and it doesn’t seem to do anything. I just threw a vial of polymorphium at a big boss enemy and nailed a direct hit and it did absolutely nothing. So the conclusion I’m leaning toward is that it doesn’t work, but then why would you sometimes start with a vial of it? If pheromones doesn’t work on enemies, what would it even do???

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

they work - hitting certain enemies with the horny juice leads to some helpful, then extremely busted, funny-business for example - but sometimes it's a pain in the rear end to get a stain to stick by just pissing out a flask. and yeah, certain bosses are outright immune to stains or their effects

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ariong posted:

I do have another question. Do the effects of magic liquids just not work on enemies? I keep spraying Pheremones, Flukmoxoniuk, Polymorphium, etc. on enemies and it doesn’t seem to do anything. I just threw a vial of polymorphium at a big boss enemy and nailed a direct hit and it did absolutely nothing. So the conclusion I’m leaning toward is that it doesn’t work, but then why would you sometimes start with a vial of it? If pheromones doesn’t work on enemies, what would it even do???

they mostly do but bosses tend to be immune because otherwise you could trivialize all of them with polymorphine or pheromone.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Ariong posted:

Do note an important exception to this is Steve.
If Steve shows up, make him your buddy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ciaphas posted:

wait where's the l in the thread title i just noticed that :psyduck:

I have no idea what you are talking about :ninja:

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Every time I think I am unkillable, I noita myself in some new, exciting fashion.

This time it was boomerang projectiles. I didn't check what wand I was using and shot out some poison-trail projectiles that stuck to me and killed my rear end.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Me: Wow, this is great run, Tinker with Wands Anywhere, Wand Experimenter, 500 HP, ping pong luminous drill, several spells that will allow me to make a god wand once I get to lower levels, I have a great feeling about this!

Kummitus causally entering the screen in a wide open area, while wielding my previous hellwand that fires 500 homing Giga Sawblades per second: Bonjour.

I will never have nice things in Noita.,

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah that's why I immediately become 5,000 times more cautious the instant I spot a cluster of white candles somewhere in the scenery. Phantomina can be a real motherfucker

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

That's also why the official rules on all the sites that track speedruns or winstreaks allow disabling the ghost spawns (by removing a special folder that contains the data for the wands they would spawn with). People consider the ghosts a bit too RNG, but I keep them on since it's a lot of fun when you manage to kill one that was holding some bullshit wand.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
In 1300+ hours I've never seen a ghost. I know at some point they didn't spawn in nightmare but I thought that was changed.

I've seen the candles a few times.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

iirc the ghosts won't spawn if you're running any mods, including the demo mod with starter classes

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Surely this 8th fungal shift in an attempt to get rid of polymorphine will work instead of turning yet another liquid into polymorphine. *turns into a sheep yet again as my vomit shifts into polymorphine*

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

DarkDobe posted:

Every time I think I am unkillable, I noita myself in some new, exciting fashion.

This time it was boomerang projectiles. I didn't check what wand I was using and shot out some poison-trail projectiles that stuck to me and killed my rear end.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlushingAstuteGoatBloodTrail-rEheUztM8XujXXP-

boomerang spells is great :allears:

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Did you know the dragon also heals from circle of healing?

I didn't, he ate me :eng99:

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Zamujasa posted:

boomerang spells is great :allears:

I am afraid to test: does boomerang affect the Plasma Beam spells the same way it does with Luminous Drill?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
It'll be fine, go nuts

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Does boomerang spells re reverse sawblade projectiles or does it re re reverse sawblade projectiles

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yes.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Well I finally got an ending. Pic related
(I had conc spells so each of the 9 projectiles I fired per shot did silly damage)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Ah yes, the ol' rapidfire sniper triplicate shot with every damage mod you can find :allears:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

plus the bizarre math of concentrated spells

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I've still got it :frogc00l:

https://i.imgur.com/qWaB8U8.mp4

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I made it the furthest I’ve ever made it. Unfortunately I died because I couldn’t get to my little pool of ambrosia for some reason. Presumably there was some tiny little bit of stuff that prevented me from getting in there this time but not the previous times for some reason.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
That area is notorious for burnt platform bits blending into the dark background so you get caught on it. I think there's even a mod that makes them easier to see.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

it was working well, until

a classic, really

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Just finished a run and didn't find a single teleport spell. Really frustrating as I was well kitted-out but just couldn't be bothered stretching out the game when I can't zip about.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Gromit posted:

Just finished a run and didn't find a single teleport spell. Really frustrating as I was well kitted-out but just couldn't be bothered stretching out the game when I can't zip about.

Not even in fungal altar? I feel like that’s the first go-to spot when you’re looking for spells/wands to go long

Edit: current run gave me pingpong + lumi drill + drilling bolt for the delay time on a 100 mana/300 recharge wand by the end of fungal caverns/coal pits so I’m basically set for this run lol

Just gotta find a trigger & some plasma spells now so I can start hunting bosses

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 15, 2024

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

it was working well, until

a classic, really

Perfection

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

idiotsavant posted:

Not even in fungal altar? I feel like that’s the first go-to spot when you’re looking for spells/wands to go long

If you mean the fungal caverns near the start, no nothing there. I scoured the first few biomes but once I got to the jungle I'd had enough and just bee-lined for Kolmi.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
There’s a huge fungal zone east of the pyramid under the desert that has shitloads of wands. I almost always find what I’m looking for there unless it’s something stupid rare like vigor.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Well yeah, but the whole reason for this was that I couldn't be bothered hoofing it great distances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

uPen posted:

There’s a huge fungal zone east of the pyramid under the desert that has shitloads of wands. I almost always find what I’m looking for there unless it’s something stupid rare like vigor.

"Wand Mart"