Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Is Summon Hollow Egg supposed to (sometimes) physics-kill enemies for double gold, or is this a hilarious bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Cardiovorax posted:

It just depends on what exactly they die from. Thunderbolt, that big gently caress-off lightning spell, counts as environmental damage nearly every time because so much of the damage comes from the thunderclap that surrounds the actual bolt itself - and that's an explosive attack, so double gold for you.

It was just a random crappy wand with 3x Summon Hollow Egg and no damage spells, and most of the time the egg(s) do nothing unless the enemy and/or projectile is moving relatively fast. Guess I could try stacking speed boosts to see just how silly it can get, once I stop dying in the mines.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Found a vat of polymorphine and discovered it's possible to put some untouchable liquids into a flask by dropping the flask so that it is immersed. Getting it back out might be nontrivial, but hey.

Then this happened

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 5, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

violent sex idiot posted:

destroy the vat so it leaks out . this is how you make lava bottles too
Yup that's what happened when I persuaded a dude to set it on fire. My preferred method of getting lava is still to polymorph into an Alchemist and chuck random flasks into a big swimming pool. Even though half the time the game decides "great plan smartass, you're a firewasp now!" and I instantly die from touching a drop of water

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

I seem to have made a Gatling Juicer by putting Digging Blast + 8x Chainsaw + Increase Mana on a wand that can spam Sparkbolts forever, apparently casting every frame.

Seed is 406355659

Still trying to figure out something goofy to do with Tentacle that doesn't kill my ears

edit:

Also someone should update the wiki entry for Luminous Drill to mention that Increase Duration turns it into a rave murderbeam

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 11, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

So the spell modifier Drilling Shot lets projectiles travel through terrain but slows them down... Except that apparently Chain Bolt's projectile travels instantaneously between steps, making for an absurd synergy. (Also helps that Chain Bolt does a lot of damage on its own)

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

A wand that Always Casts: Personal Fireball Thrower is fun, but sometimes this happens

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Found a wand that casts unlimited rocks... (seed 580529643)

With very little additional effort, it will reliably oneshot anything that isn't outright immune to collisions.

It's kinda ludicrous how big the variance is between being insanely overpowered vs finding nothing but garbage wands/spells an entire run.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Welp I've reached New Game+++ levels of just-loving-around

I found a funny problem when trying to make the fastest possible digging wand: if your Teleport spell projectile flies too far away it hits the simulation boundary and ceases to exist instead of expiring and teleporting you. Even this slower version still glitches out sometimes and terrain that had been turned to sand suddenly decides it's a solid wall again, after you've already teleported there. Probably due to the delay of generating new terrain, when you're traversing mapcells far faster than the devs intended.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 24, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

DarkAvenger211 posted:

How do you get to new game+ after beating the boss?

1: Get the item from the laboratory, dunno whether you need to kill the boss but don't go through the portal after it dies... Either way if you go to the goatse room (under the lava lake, you might want the $300k for rerolling perks) don't choose the "complete the work" option or you lose the essential item.
2: Make sure you have 5+ orbs. Each orb you're carrying increases the boss' HP when it spawns but you can pick up orbs after killing the boss. You can get more orbs by visiting east/west "parallel worlds" as toomuchabstraction mentioned. (The gif I posted shows me tunneling to the east world in 10 seconds because I got an insanely good wand out of the first chest at the start of the run.)
3: Go to the platform above the mountain/mines and choose "complete the work" and the game will lag out for several seconds while rebuilding the map until a "(now entering...) New Game +" message

4: now the map is reset, all the holy mountain shop items are the same but the playable map is huge and with different biome layouts, resulting in a lot more exploration to do and wands to pick up.

5: you can repeat 1~3 for NG++ and NG+++ etc but the world seed remains the same so shops and pedestal wands are the same

...if you want to keep the same character in a new seed either use the notaseedchanger (before step 3, though now that I think about it that might have been an unintended interaction when NSC changed the seed after worldgen) or save/exit and (assuming you're on windows) navigate to userdirectory\AppData\LocalLow\Nolla_Games_Noita\save00 and copy your player.whatever file to another location, restart noita, start a new game, save/exit, overwrite the new player.whatever with the backup, then next time you load the savefile you'll be in the new world with your old character (in the exact same position you were before, which can trap you in solid rock or on lower levels instakill you with an unlucky acid/lava pool, so if you're gonna take this route go above ground beforehand)

edit for completeness: if you want to play nightmare mode do the opposite of step 1: get item, kill boss, enter portal, complete goatse. This will kill you but if you have Saving Grace and ~4(?) stacks of Extra Life perks you'll keep reviving until the instadeath effect ends. Either way after triggering this event and before exiting the current game you'll be able to start a new game in nightmare mode.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 25, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh huh, I didn't know about that. Does the sky altar still turn the world to gold without killing you if you complete the work there without having 5+ orbs?

Yep, though there isn't much to do with the gold it makes having the Essence of Water (used for blowing up the moon and unlocking the Destruction spell... which sucks anyway) safer because all materials turn into loose gold the instant they're created.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

I found something unexpected in Jungle: naturally occurring pools of Alchemic Precursor.

Seed is 1947810025 from which the browser says formula for AP is Swamp+Water+Mud which is kinda hilarious because these pools are everywhere, and enemies keep killing eachother and turning the whole biome into gold.

e: also a wand with AlwaysCasts:PersonalTentacler which produces endless amounts of a different kind of comedy.

e2: also Blood+Oil+Poison = infinite healgoo. This run just went from bonkers to ludicrous.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 26, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Turns out that Tentacle(s) have some interesting/amusing properties when you use them with a trigger projectile, since the tentacle projectiles still originate from the player... Luminous Drill casts it as normal (with extended range and much shorter cast/recharge time, for a lot more mana) while projectiles like Spark Bolt don't create tentacles when they hit terrain, but on hitting an enemy the tentacles spawn directly on top of the target and instantly hit for full damage. Also this enables use of Homing Shot which normally doesn't work with Tentacle.

Downside of making it that much easier to use is that it also makes it that much easier to forget why using Tentacle as your primary attack is a hilariously bad idea.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Speaking of weird things with mouse UI, it's pretty obvious that you can drop wands by opening your inventory and dragging from the slot to anywhere else on the screen. The position of the cursor determines the trajectory of the wand, though mostly that changes where on the floor it lands.

What isn't obvious is that you can drop a wand so that it gets stuck inside terrain by dropping it upwards into a ceiling. You can still reach the wand to pick it up (usually) but enemies are far less likely to grab it and nuke you.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

In that clip the big explosion isn't due to gunpowder (burning a big pile of gunpowder creates a lot of small explosions that slowly drill down through terrain) so that surprise is due to BERSERKERRRRR status (indicated by the angryface icon) doubling the blast radius of bombs. Everyone learns that lesson the funny way, at least once.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

what's Finnish for "trolled again, lmao"?

Holy Grenade + Energy Orb(?) + Doublecast = warp whistle???

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Giga Black Hole apparently attracts other GBH projectiles?

Giga Black Hole + Homing Shots + Light Shot on a fast-casting trigger to get 3+ black holes orbiting one another = physics just goes bonkers. It helps to have unlimited spells, though that guarantees you'll die hilariously.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Zesty posted:

What are the extra chonkier spider legs from?

It's the Leggy Mutation perk dropped by high-level(?) mimic monsters which grow those weird legs and become mobile when something disturbs them.

I think Leggychests are kinda rare (definitely saw one in the Tower at least) but I used a cheatmenu mod to spawn a lot of the perk (and Lukki Mutations) to see whether movespeed buff perk from multiple sets of legs stack endlessly, but got sidetracked with gravity and then teleported into lava right after recording that gif so wasn't able to do much testing.

Leggy legs function exactly like Lukki legs in disabling flight and making you stick to walls/ceilings but you lose a lot of mobility and need to risk blind-teleporting to cross big open areas.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

So the new 'Auto-Aim' and 'Automatic Rotation' spells... kinda own?

Autoaim lets you make throwable claymore mines (helpful so you don't even need to know where all the enemies are, like if there's a lot of chaos and/or you're busy trying to dodge something especially threatening. Or if you want to shoot around corners.)

And autorotate often gives better homing than the Homing spell since it doesn't affect projectile velocity.

...but be cautious if you do this trick with sawblades since there's a bug(??) that Berserk makes autoaimed projectiles target the caster.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 26, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I suspect it's the combo of Saving Grace and the regen mod that screwed things up for you. The script for that area didn't anticipate that. I'm pretty sure that if you just have Saving Grace then things proceed as intended, because that'd be a, uh, significant oversight, otherwise.

If you have Saving Grace and have visited enough parallel worlds and/or NG+ to get multiple copies of the Extra Life perk, you can legitimately survive The End because you'll get dropped to 1hp by the first tick, then die/revive, 1hp, die/revive, etc... until the effect times out.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Is it only me that feels fungal caverns aren't worth even visitng any more. The quality of wands vs the strength of the monsters, plus now the new humid modifier means that if you get lucky and find a black hole to crack into the steel encased wands they go about 2 milimetres, plus the wand is going to suck.

Pro: chance you find a Nuke wand
Con: chance a Nuke wand finds you

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Got stuck in goldworld due to Saving Grace + Extra Life, but found a solution: drink 2~3 flasks of gold. For once the "pick up items and forget to use them" strategy pays off. :v:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Whoa, is this new with 1.0? This makes experimenting with wands much easier to grok.

https://i.imgur.com/z8y38dF.mp4

Yep, speaking of which I finally actually bothered to pay attention to spell sequence and noticed a cool trick with Increase Mana: if you have a spamtastic wand for digging between levels and shredding enemies, but uses costly spells and you have an Increase Mana, you can use the fact that a (non-multicast) modifier at the end will cast the first projectile again.

Here's an example

Each cycle this wand casts 3 projectiles:
1: [Increase Mana] + [Chainsaw]
2: placeholder (Luminous Deathbeam) trigger/stack
3: [Light] + [Increase Mana] + [Chainsaw]

...which is useful because Increase Mana is rare so you can make even more incredibly stupid wands. Also this works with other modifiers as well, like putting 2x Chainsaw at the beginning and a doublecast at the end, to double the Recharge reduction effect.

edit: this wand is built mainly for digging, here it is after some slight upgrades (the wand has a very slow innate mana regen, but since the overall cost is 53 (-60 from 2x Increase Mana) so it never runs out.

Digs pretty well

Maybe I should have bothered to put some damage spells in there, since it took a whopping 3 seconds to kill The Dragon?

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 23, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

resistentialism posted:

You can do chainsaw, double cast, spark bolt with trigger to get a wand that goes

1. Chainsaw
2.a Spark bolt that triggers into chainsaw (first double cast)
2.b Chainsaw (second double cast)

for 3 chainsaws on 2 frames, with each frame having chainsaw's animation breaking effect. And it does pretty good damage per shot.

Yeah that's basically the wand I was using for damage, until I found an Increase Mana. The reason I specified using a 'non-multicast' to loop the sequence is that I'm trying not to kill my framerate. :v:

The goal of this wand is to dig quickly through Extremely Dense Stuff using an extended-range Luminous Drill. Currently the only way I can do that is Ping-Pong Path, but that modifier makes projectiles last longer and if it applies to Chainsaw and Digging Bolt on a turbospam wand it creates lag (especially since those projectiles generate particle effects) and if the spells have sound effects eventually spamming will bug out the game so it stops playing any sounds.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

absolutely false

Hisii base is where basically all noteworthy enemies have ranged attacks. Given how that's also where suddenly half the walls are made of steel, that level seems largely designed around the assumption that the player is either able to destroy terrain by that point, or has enough skill (and strategically prepared the right wands ahead of time) to avoid getting overrun while trying to dodge bullets.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

There is a perk called Blood Money in the base game that does something similar, for any enemy death that you did not directly cause. Really enjoyed it when I had elec charge and More Hate.

Vampirism really needs an update since now trying to drink blood is even more tedious than before, if you're trying to avoid poisoning/slowing yourself by drinking whatever water/oil/etc happens to have collected.

Yay, I barely survived that fight, now time to grind up corpses with a Digging Bolt so I don't accidentally eat Rotten Meat. This is Fun.

Also speaking of materials... is there some way to toggle bloodstains/scorch marks/etc and textures, so a colorblind player can tell wtf things are without having to mouse over each pixel? Or at least like "hold down [foo button] to highlight all materials that will hurt you on contact, [bar] for a custom filter/list"

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

One thing that helps me is remembering you can always get back to the mines from the far right of the ice level, so I have no problems just blasting through the first 2 holy mountains if I'm bored/not finding anything interesting. That way if you get some good poo poo you can go back and clean up when you have some acceleratium and levitatium.

That route is no longer quite so simple as it used to be. There's a miniboss that will chase you and can dig through any terrain, and unlike the pyramid spider it doesn't just gently caress off into space if you leave, so it'll eventually catch up unless you can teleport away to outrun it until it ends up outside the simulation boundary. (That part is theoretical, I've never succeeded in getting away yet because the only time I met it when I had a teleport wand was when I killed it. Which took like 10 minutes. The bosses in this game spend so much time invincible and/or forcing you to dodge continuous missile barrages that they must have come from some weird danmaku shmup)

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Oh high there, just trying to edit some comically stupid wands...

...and forgetting to remove a key spell and subsequently intercepting a polymorph projectile by teleporting myself directly into it, in the middle of a laserstorm deathsplosion.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Basically it works out to "you have to be able to kill Steve by the time you reach the underground jungle" which is pretty dependent on what wands/spells the RNG gives you.

The holy mountain is supposed to be the one place you can safely chill out and mess with your wands, but I guess the devs think that should only apply for the first 3 levels. After that, you have to either be able to kill Steve or just grab a wand/spell and a perk and book it out of there, because you have somewhere between 10 and maybe 40 seconds before a spider digs into the temple and angers the gods.

You can kill Steve by dropping the ceiling on him, if he's close to the Altar when you cross the exit threshold.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

goferchan posted:

Don't cast Personal Lightning Thrower on the target dummy statue in the holy mountain exit

Also: don't put Bounce + Healing Bolts on a wand with Always Casts: Personal Fireball Thrower :gibs:

edit: Interesting shop to find in the Mines, with Chainsaws+triggerbolt in the first holy mountiain.

Not pictured: getting crazy-good perk luck and steamrolling the rest of the game. But "winning" is boring so instead I made this abomination to try shooting around corners and for easy spammable trick-kills.

...which annihilated pretty much everything except flying enemies in big open areas. Auto-aim on Unstable Crystal is apparently really good at indirect fire, so long as your delivery system isn't garbage, and manage not to blow yourself up.

Seed: 645593345

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 26, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

TeaJay posted:

They changed it in 1.0, you don't start with the same loadout anymore every time.

However I would think it's possible they will enable "default" loadout at some point since it's been requested a lot. And I would guess there might be a mod for it already?

Selectable Classes mod, pick the first option.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

I dunno what their "official" use for is, but the thing I use them most for is easy money - chuck that poo poo into an enemy to get double gold drops. I try to kill turrets and the egg spitter things in the ice cavern area with them for double cash.

Although honestly, being able to start with dynamite or fireballs or other digging tools with more than just 3 uses makes it so much easier to get gold from the environment in the first two areas, I'll often hit Holy Mountain in the coal mines with like 800-1k gold, so using the tablets to gold farm has become much less of a concern. If my run through the first area doesn't naturally take me over to the east I'll usually just skip it.

Aside from the fact they'll oneshot a lot of nasty enemies, you can take them to that floating island above the mountain/mines entrance. If you drop tablets on the altar there, they usually turn into a pile of gold.

Also if you avoid killing any enemies directly the first time you go through a level, you can get a bonus chest in the next Holy Mountain. And throwing tablets (or picking them up) does not break invisibility.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 27, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

I'm going by the code itself, which likely doesn't give the full story. I'm not sure exactly how it translates the timing values into actual values, much like how the player's HP seems to actually be 4 and not 100.

Each heart gives +25 max hp so 4 hearts = 100hp?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Is there any easier way to keep exploring and playing without black holes?

You need the ability to dig through Brickwork and/or Extremely Dense rock if you're gonna go off the rails. One way to backtrack is when you're in Temple of the Art you can return to the surface by going left and entering a portal to The Tower which is a trippy clusterfuck of an uphill battle but eventually you get a cool wand (assuming you don't die first). If you enter The Laboratory without the ability to dig Brickwork, there isn't really any escaping.

LuminousDrill can cut through anything but requires a bit of skill and a lot of patience (and a wand with good stats), or GroundToSand on a projectile that can pierce packed sand (such as GlowingLance, though you'll need speed boosts or antigravity modifiers if you want to dig any direction other than downward). Also maybe MatterEater but on the rare occasions I find it I either don't have enough charges to accomplish anything useful and/or have generally already found something better.

If you're considering risky methods there's also Earthquake and/or Nuke which shatter terrain (and change its material type into "collapsed concrete" which is softer than rock, so you can dig out the rubble with almost any spell) but are mostly useful for digging straight up, and which take about ~2 casts to dig up a level if you Nuke the ceiling in Holy Mountain. Just be ready to lolwtf at the game over screen, and/or savescum.

Chaotic Polymorphine can turn you into a giant worm, or it can turn you into something that dies the instant you touch a pixel of water.

If you have Unlimited Spells perk, TouchOfBlood/-acid/etc are rare but useful for stuff like this. Also Bomb and ThunderCharge and ExplosionOfThunder and a few other powerful explosions can cause small amounts of hard terrain above the blast to crumble, even if the explosion can't actually destroy the material (the chunks behaves like sand but re-solidifies as soon as it stops falling, so these spells can actually create problems like getting trapped or buried alive)

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Is Cast Time disregarded if Recharge Time goes below zero, or vice versa, or both?

Nope. If your wand Recharge Time expires but your Cast Time from your most recent spell(s) has not, trying to cast again flashes a different meter where wand recharge timer would normally appear.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Telekinesis is bonkers, but too bad it seems that it removes the ability to activate runestones.

Also being able to move corpses (effectively) could lead to a lot more functional alchemy shenanigans.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 30, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

psst... hey kid. Ya wanna do some war crimes?

Fun detail: modifiers that affect explosion radius also change how much acid is created when Acid Ball explodes. Combining this wand with Berserk+Glass Cannon = :distonk:

edit: oh hey this looks like a fun bug

I'd dropped an Unstable Crystal with one wand and then cast a wand I'd picked up that had 3x Rock and the cardinal/diagonal-direction-only modifier... which teleported the crystal to my position and instagibbed me.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 1, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I'd upgrade fungal caves from "try if daring" to "almost always try, unless you have 10hp left or already have a really great wand".
Going slow and steady isn't as fun as taking big risks for big payoffs, especially since you only lose 1.5 areas worth of progress if you die.

Also there are more conditionals like "if you're not insanely overpowered by Hisii Base but found the wands/spells to be able to do some sequence-break backtracking, consider going back and doing Fungal Caverns before Jungle because ugggggh gently caress Jungle"

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Awesome thanks! I also can't find the setting that turns on recordings on death, where is it?

Enable "replay recorder" option under general tab and also go into input mappings and make sure "save replay" has a keybind, then press button to gif?

unrelated: Nightmare mode is way more fun than it should be. Just a nonstop clusterfuck of death and comedy. But mostly death.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 6, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

:hmmyes: I demand a randomly generated Caves of Qud-like name and description for every wand in Unintelligible Procedural Word Salad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

You can safely kill the white revenge-lasermachinegun guys by using homing+a trigger wand and attacking them around corners. Their murderlasers thankfully don't go through any but the softest materials. The troubles are having access to homing and being able to set it up without being swarmed by other mobs.

Also you can dodge/strafe in open areas by keeping up your angular velocity and attacking in short bursts, or fire right before moving behind cover. It takes a while though and you're better off just leaving them behind, or smashing them with a tablet/runestone/rock/etc if you need a more permanent solution.

Got some weird bugs lately tho.

The water pipes in flooded levels can be affected by Personal Fireball Thrower, which is funny, but strangely they will apparently keep exploding even after the model is completely destroyed?

The Unstable Crystal projectiles should be scattering from where the Spitter Bolt w/Trigger projectile hits the ceiling, and don't have any modifiers that would normally let them phase through terrain. (it was mostly just 2x Light Shot and Homing, I think) Do the crystals just have such insane velocity that the game forgets to check for collisions on the first frame or something? Also wtf is the glowing aura doing?