Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I had a really nice setup. Fire, explosion, and electric immunities; lightning bolts, dual-trigger spark bolts...

Except one of the loving spiders in the jungle decided to come up through the floor and Mr. Bones showed up. :cripes:

I made it past the Vault, but I only managed to get off the ride with 2 HP. Needless to say I did not live for long in the ToTA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Got a really nice setup, a wand with a bunch of those little blue bubbles and a ridiculous fire rate, homing shots, fire/sludge/melee immunity... 685 max HP too. Everything else has been a breeze, so I just have to get through ToTA and I finally get a wi--

https://i.imgur.com/IXQmHah.mp4

god damnit

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 4, 2020

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

I Said No posted:

In a zone that's chock full of a lot of awful poo poo, those white wizards are easily the worst loving thing in Temple of the Art. Even if you leave them alone they just follow you all over the place and try to jump into crossfire so they can laser you to death.

I had no idea that was their gimmick until after I died and looked up the enemy name. :cripes:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

FunkyFjord posted:

I've played over a hundred easy without as single win, but i like being brazen and dumb and pushing my luck and not taking things slow.

Going slow doesn't always help you out either, because it's nearly impossible to recover damage outside of progress. Even picking up max-HP boosts doesn't give a boost to your actual HP. So every mistake quickly adds up.

From what I can tell watching people who stream it, RNG still plays a big role, but generally wins do get more consistent.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The one thing that never fails to disappoint me is how all the good, fun stuff is hidden deeper, so to actually play with most of it you have to survive the boring top half. I've seen enough wands with only "Rain Cloud (10)" to last a lifetime. :geno:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Mimics will also float on water, and will always be perfectly horizontal. Real chests are physics objects and can end up rotated or leaning against walls or whatever.

It's a shame they drop nothing good.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
One of the new perks is limitless spells, and let me tell you, there's nothing quite as... special as Nuke with no use limit. :stonklol:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Zesty posted:

I hope they add achievements for all the extra things so people have a vague sense there's SO much that they're missing.

I hope they add cheevos for all the various ways to die (including "used the attack that makes you explode while polymorphed into a thing that explodes to attack"), but not really the extra stuff. That stuff might work better in a different, more obfuscated way. The tablets would be a nice use for this, since they otherwise don't really do much other than act as very good and very painful footballs.

Zesty posted:

I got polymorphed into one of those flying fire guys from the first level and tried to float into a body of water to wash off the polymorph effect.

Instant death.

Laughed hysterically when I read the death reason.
Cause of death: bzzt!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My favorite death is when I found a wand that cast Summon Wand. I used it in the Hiisi Base, and it summoned a wand with the Earthquake spell. The resulting collapse killed the wand and very nearly killed me, but I survived, picked up the dead wand, and used it again. And that collapse got the job done!

If at first you don't succeed... :allears:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Yeah, knockback effectively disables all air control until you land. There was a mod I was using that disabled that and it made a big change in the amount of difficulty I felt the game had.

It'd be nice to see some stuff like that for difficulty options.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

FuryForged has a bunch of videos about specific secrets if you're interested in that aspect of the game, most of them are obscure enough that you would probably never find them on your own.

For straight streamer content I watched a few of Simosimo's videos when I was starting out. He occasionally makes decisions that I wouldn't agree with but generally does a good job of explaining his reasoning for everything going on. Good channel if you want to see what it takes to get a successful multi-hour run. Most of his runs have cheatGUI enabled but it's just to show the alchemy recipes at the top of the screen.

Here's a direct link to FuryForged's Noita spoiler playlist

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Games > Noita: got sidetracked with gravity and then teleported into lava

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
You can also survive the ending's death effect if you're just fast enough to get away from it, or pre-dig a quick exit. It's doable in vanilla, though there's not much of a reason to do so I think.

Eric the Mauve posted:

So let me tell you about my latest Noita experience. I got it a couple weeks ago and, being Very Bad at it, have died a couple hundred times, usually hilariously, and probably still don't really understand how rods work. I am cheating with the auto-regen mod and set it to regen about 3HP a second. Fleeing to safety and standing around a minute or two to recover my health is boring and lame, you say? Yes, yes it is. But so is running the mines over and over and over. And over. And over.

I play with the regen mod sometimes as well, because the mines are extremely boring, especially given that said level also tends to spawn a few fixed (not good) wands and a much smaller handful of actual random things.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Gravity gun? :haw: That'll go real well with Trick Blood Money / Greed, assuming it still counts as """accidental""".

The Gold is Forever perk is pretty nice and really shows how much infighting there is that you just never get to see. The levitation trail perk also gives me some Vectorman vibes, though I wish it actually shot down as opposed to just staying in place.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Just wait until you get to New Game Plus Plus Plus (etc.)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I hope some day there's an option to just make all the wands stupid and random. I know the Mines originally had a lot of limited-generation wands that were utter garbage and there was a mod or something that would replace those with actual random ones.

A lot of the fun in this is making incredibly stupid wands that killed everything (including you) and it feels like you might as well skip the first two areas and pray you get something decent in the third.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Wand 1: Splitter Bolt (1)
Wand 2: Rain Cloud
Flask: Water

Slightly random starting loadouts are fun, but good grief you can get some real stinkers. :geno:

Also, the telekinetic kick perk is absolutely hilarious when you're just casually punting bombs and body parts around.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I was wondering about this last night, i've tried the perk 3 or so times and never had it do anything :(

Somehow i only just clicked today that death cross + homing is super effective

Spark Bolt w/ Trigger + Death Cross is also quite good, especially if you can get it to stupid levels of rapid fire.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Futaba Anzu posted:

am i wrong in thinking they once had a thing where enemies wouldn't use nuke wands if they picked them up? because lol
https://i.imgur.com/4c8gERF.mp4

as far as i'm aware enemies grabbing / using nuke wands has always been a thing and it continues to be incredible

i got an ending with toxic gold (4 orbs). i don't know if there's anything to do in the world after this other than start a new game

also i really wish getting super hosed up on fungus had a secret use :shroom:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
yep and it's cool as hell

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
yes

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

dyzzy posted:

Hisii coming over to see how well their noita zapper worked

:lol:

Angry_Ed posted:

I thought the thunderstone made you impervious to shocks as long as you had it out.

If you're quickly scrolling through your items you can draw it out long enough for it to start an electrich shock, but put it away fast enough that it hasn't dissipated yet, so it comes back and zaps your rear end.

On the other hand maybe don't carry around extremely dangerous items :thunk:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

CodfishCartographer posted:

I kind of want a mod where you don't know what a spell is until you shoot it. Like it would just show a "?" or something as the icon and mouse-over text.

I guess I could make a load out to start with no wand editing and wand experimenter, which I might try now that I mention it. I just kinda find it fun to use what wands you stumble onto. Might need some other starting perks to help balance it out, though.

There's actually some (possibly left over) functionality for this. Every spell defines an "unidentified" sprite to use for itself and most of these sprites are shared between the same themes (so the path modifiers all look the same, etc).

I don't know if it's still implemented.

That being said, there's a ton of leftover spells, like "misfire" and "misfire critical" that discards a spell and destroys a spell, respectively. Yikes.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Main wand:
- If first game, always Spark Bolt.
- Otherwise, 50% chance, one of Energy Sphere, Bouncing Burst, Spitter Bolt

Capacity: 2 - 3 (chosen spell will randomly occupy 1 to capacity slots)
Recharge: 0.20 - 0.28
Cast delay: 0.09 - 0.15
Mana: 80 - 130
Mana charge rate: 25 - 40

---------

Bomb wand:
- If first game, always Bomb.
- Otherwise, with 50% chance, one of dynamite, rain cloud, magic missile, fireball

Capacity: 1
Recharge: 0.01 - 0.10
Cast delay: 0.03 - 0.08
Mana: 80 - 110
Mana charge rate: 5 - 20

---------

Potion:
- If first game, always Water.
- If April 30 or May 1, with 20% chance, sima

Otherwise, roll 1d100:

01-65: roll another 1d100:
- 01-10: mud
- 11-20: water_swamp
- 21-30: brine (salt water)
- 31-40: swamp
- 41-50: snow
- 51-100: water

66-70: blood

71-99: equal random chance (though roll a 1d100 and discard it for good measure, as the code does)
- acid
- polymorphine
- chaotic polymorphine
- berserkium
- pheromone
- acceleratium

100: roll 1d1000000
- 79: gold
- 666: piss
- others: equal chance between slime and gunpowder

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

dis astranagant posted:

Your recharge and cast delay numbers seem a quite low, especially on the spark wand.

I'm going by the code itself, which likely doesn't give the full story. I'm not sure exactly how it translates the timing values into actual values, much like how the player's HP seems to actually be 4 and not 100.

code:
local gun = { }
gun.name = {"Bolt staff"}
gun.deck_capacity = {2,3}
gun.actions_per_round = 1
gun.reload_time = {20,28}
gun.shuffle_deck_when_empty = 0
gun.fire_rate_wait = {9,15}
gun.spread_degrees = 0
gun.speed_multiplier = 1
gun.mana_charge_speed = {25,40}
gun.mana_max = {80,130}
-- Note(Petri): Removed DYNAMITE
gun.actions = {"SPITTER","RUBBER_BALL","BOUNCY_ORB"}

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

silentsnack posted:

Each heart gives +25 max hp so 4 hearts = 100hp?

One heart = 25 HP makes enough sense. Holy Mountain hearts give you 0.4 HP, for example (0.4 x 25 = 10)

code:
[heart_fullhp_temple.lua]

function item_pickup( entity_item, entity_who_picked, name )

local max_hp = 0
	local max_hp_addition = 0.4
	local healing = 0
I guess HP is "heart points", then. :haw:

(Edit: Some other functions related to the display of health in messages multiply it by 25 as well.)

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 27, 2020

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

dis astranagant posted:

the gently caress is this bullshit?

Toss in some Fire and Explosion Immunity perks and it's a good time :f5h::newlol:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Just reiterating what was said before but absolutely go ham on mods with this. There's no shame in making the game fun and you can always remove them later.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Ground to Sand is also highly useful (if limited) and Luminous Drills are fairly common if slow for digging out EDR.

Sage Grimm posted:

Mods. Save-editing to give yourself a wand with blackholes. Unstable teleportation potion.

Also this.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Some of these changes were in the beta builds and it'll be cool to see them more often in streams now!

(If you didn't know, you can opt into the beta branch for the Steam version under Properties)

Though, uh,

quote:

UPDATE: New Game+ boss is bit more difficult
:stare: It already had trillions of HP and required some pretty crafty wands in a NG+++ 33 orb run so I'm curious how they made it even worse

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That's the kind of thing that would make dual-wielding wands really fun, especially since the right mouse button isn't used for anything (with wands) right now.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

dyzzy posted:

They ostensibly unlock the spells for generation but I feel like I've seen wands that have those spells on them even without the orb unlock (my orb progress got reset by 1.0 for some reason)

Orbs and spell unlocks are tracked separately, but getting an orb sets both at the same time. So if just your orbs got reset then the spells are still valid.

(see C:\Users\(you)\AppData\LocalLow\Nolla_Games_Noita\save00\persistent)

DalaranJ posted:

Do the orbs permanently unlock their spells to appear in shops?

Also random wands, which is really fun when a random enemy bumbles across a wand with a nuke or five on it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Some of the perks you can get are outright run-ending; leggy and lukki both completely invalidate several perks (stronger/faster levitation, levitation trail, gravity etc) and a lot of them are just situational wandcrafter ones that are almost never worth taking unless you're doing newgame+ or parallel worlds poo poo (capacity increase, low capacity/high mana, faster wands etc)

The limited slots you have for wands combined with the inability to actually edit them almost anywhere, plus permadeath, means that it's often not worth trying to experiment with silly or unusual wands over just going for something with low delay + trigger into chainsaws or the like. I definitely feel like there's room for a chaotic mode type where wands are truly random (and largely overpowered) with Tinker With Wands Everywhere by default so you can just gently caress around with sillier builds, without risking losing potentially hours of run.

I think I'd also split the perks into two sets that you get to pick one from each of, where one set is the perks as they are now and the other set are wandbuilding, one-time perks like Always Cast / Faster Wands / etc (though with more variety). Would make taking something like Always Cast less of a throwaway perk.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Oil Blood is pretty terrible just because Explosion Immunity is a far better perk and it requires Fire Immunity to not self-immolate constantly, and given fire does percent-of-max-HP damage rather than a fixed amount it's really bad to be on fire.

E: It strikes me as funny though because most things that 'bleed' oil tend to be extremely weak to explosions but resistant to everything else.

E E: Make oil blood give you immunity to freezing / frozen vapour :hmmyes:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
y'all giving the game so many updates and improvements is really awesome. makes it fun to watch since there's often new stuff and yall listen to feedback

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Right up until you New Game + 27-odd times and fight that boss after it's been given 60 or so exponential boosts so its HP is something like 528915791285192586195829856129586

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Eric the Mauve posted:

What’s the preferred strat for breaking into the parallel worlds? Do you basically need to somehow have 1000+ HP or a means of on-demand healing to survive the cursed rock?

As said, black holes (preferably with speed up or other things that make it eat more), a teleport wand, and ambrosia. Don't move, just teleport around.

If you can, you can also delete a lot of the cursed rock with black holes and try to fly through, though you'll take mystery damage from merely being in the same area even if the rock itself is gone (which is kind of poo poo imo)

Eric the Mauve posted:

For purposes of putting together a reliable murderwand, there is only a small selection of spells you’re really looking for, and all but one of them are modifiers: damage plus, crit plus, heavy shot, increase mana, reduce recharge, and chainsaw. Also triple/quad spell of course, but those are everywhere. The modifiers (and a wand with the capacity, mana, and low enough recharge to take advantage of them) are what you’re really looking for. You generally don’t find them until midgame at best, but they are the real reason you want to risk exploring at least some of the fungal caverns.

Here’s a protip that I myself know but never heed and always die as a result: don’t use any kind of fire spell if you don’t have fire immunity, period. Especially not fire-based modifiers.

The basic murder wand is Spark Bolt With Trigger into Damage Plus / Heavy Shot into any multicast into other spells like Triplicate Bolt.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Ciaphas posted:

why is the trigger needed for a basic murderwand, I never quite got that

unless you're talking about dangerous spells like Explosion of course but you seem to mean in the general case

With Trigger spell: Lets you deliver a large package of murder at range, prevents spells in the package from loving up your cast delay/recharge times

Modifiers: boost damage done by the coming projectiles

Multicast: applies previous modifiers to every projectile in the multicast, real fun with spells like Triplicate that create multiple projectiles

Other wand types are the shotgun-style (just fire off a bunch of spells at once) and the machine gun (rapid-fire projectiles). Main problem with shotgun-style is inaccuracy and cast delay/recharge, main problem with machine-gun is you tend to either run out of mana or don't have very many modifiers on it to keep mana down.

The trigger approach avoids the worst of both while allowing you to basically deliver damage point-blank.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Shuffle wands are always garbage unless you're casting nothing but copies of the same spell.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Easiest way to test if it's mod-related is just turning off all the mods you have enabled and dying twice. That'd rule that out.

But I'd assume it's due to some other issue. What are you using, Steam? Itch?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
What mods are you using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Nightmare mode will sometimes give perks to enemies as well.