Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Mouse+keyboard or controller?

I couldn't imagine playing without the precision aiming of a mouse, but just in case it does look like it supports gamepads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The patch made it so that any time I enter a portal it crashes. I guess I'm taking a break for the night. Hopefully it's patched tomorrow.

I had the replay gif maker thing enabled and turning it off fixed the crashing for me. Was crashing every single time I died, and when I reopened the game, I'd be on the same level seed as before, but sometimes some parts of the level were still changed from my last play, like wands being moved or terrain being damaged. Very weird, very buggy, I kind of understand why the death gif stuff isn't officially in the menus or anything now.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

lol the blue guys shooting big sparkly blue energy balls at you in the ice caves are lightning wizards, not ice wizards. I learned this by dodging into a pool

I've run into them in the starter caves multiple times, they can be absolutely brutal when you have nothing but your starter wand and they feel aggressive.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

resistentialism posted:

The trick is to stand on top of it, mostly towards the front edge, and then fly upwards a bit right before the kick connects.

I feel it's worth pointing out since it took me embarrassingly long to realize, but your kicks are aimed toward your crosshair. IDK why but I thought they were just random for many hours, had a lot of unneeded frustration.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

https://streamable.com/k7hxw
This is my favorite wand ever, what a find for the very start of the game.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

BaconCopter posted:

Describing the mechanics of statuses has nothing to do with wanting Toxic to do less damage per tick :confused:

But thanks for the description, I guess?

All you need to completely nullify toxic is finding a jar and a little water. It's pretty damaging but water just turns it into more water.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

OutOfPrint posted:

Something hit me while half asleep today, so I wanted to float it here. What would you all think of a quick dodge move? Something like a blink backward relative to the crosshairs or mouse cursor to move out of the way of projectiles not tied to a wand or potion. Tying it to the levitation meter makes the most sense to me from a game design perspective since it's already a feature, but a cooldown could work, too.

That would go a long way to increase survivability. We've all had things ended by projectiles or other dangers landing in our laps that we could see coming, but couldn't dodge in time due to momentum or the danger moving faster than the wizard could. This would not only remove that frustration, but introduce another player skill component that would feel pretty good to master.

Being able to instantly move backward a couple block's length seems to me, in my half awake state, would work really well in game.

I don't disagree that all that sounds nice, but at the same time that already sounds basically like how teleport wands work, but weaker. You can do some really effective dodging using one of those.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

The new damage numbers don't feel as easy to read for me as they did before, probably the only change I don't like so far.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The smaller ones deal great damage compared to the other common spells you find in the first few levels and are relatively safe as long as you're careful. Giga buzzsaws are absolutely suicidal and in 100+ hours I don't think I've ever made a wand that uses them without also killing myself after a few seconds.

I love the smaller saws as long as they're not on a high spread wand. Just gotta be careful about the extra fluids from enemies you kill with them when you're fighting firebugs and other things.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

There is a perk called Blood Money in the base game that does something similar, for any enemy death that you did not directly cause. Really enjoyed it when I had elec charge and More Hate.

Blood Money is absolutely incredible with the right build.
https://i.imgur.com/6u4LGRF.mp4

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Sailor Dave posted:

What is that wand?

It's called "Magic Guard", if you cast it multiple times it becomes incredibly effective at killing. Doesn't damage explosive barrels and boxes, either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

resistentialism posted:

I love these dumb things.

I just had one give me a fun surprise, it'd burned 99% down and one of the last pixels of it popped and caught me on fire.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SpitefulForthrightAlpaca-mobile.mp4