Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm still getting to grips with the game but I found an amazing combo I thought was going to make me invincible: I was electrifying every liquid I touched but was also IMMUNE to electricity and also I teleported every time I took damage AND I had an extra life/resurrection and I was blinking all over the place with a wand that was casting showers of blood everywhere and I blasted through 10 locations in rapid succession.... and then somehow ended up inside a lake made of lava :negative:

This game is so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ambaire posted:

Now you know why that perk sounds awesome but is also just about the worst possible one you can take. Sadly.

Part of the fun was getting into levels I'd never seen before but doing it via teleportation, so without the slow uncovering of exploration I'm just appearing in location after location filled with the most pants-shittingly scary eldritch horrors and getting just the barest glimpse of them before being teleported away and being left wondering what the gently caress I just saw. :stonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Glass Cannon lives up to the name :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I picked up toxic sludge immunity and an acid cloud spell :smug:

Well that's my story about how I figured out toxic sludge and acid are two different things :cripes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"You no longer feel safe from worms."

Well... that's probably not good.

"YOU HAVE ANGERED THE GODS!"

Okay, that's DEFINITELY not good!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So uhhh I found an Orb.... what are they?

Also the tablets I keep finding seem to be telling some kind of story but also using up inventory space, are they just mobile melee/throwing weapons or am I missing some obvious use for them?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sage Grimm posted:

Tablets can be converted to gold on the floating island but otherwise they're something decent to chuck at enemies for accidental gold.

Haha, I only just found the thing in the spoiler tag but couldn't quite get up there. There's still so much to figure out about this game, I always feel like I'm barely scratching the surface.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I hadn't really kept up with this game after it came out of Early Access, been dipping back into it recently and feel like I'm starting to get a good grip on thi-

:stare:

I obviously have no idea what I'm doing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Things I learned today: having bricks in your lungs isn't good for them.

I will try my best to incorporate this knowledge into my everyday life.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KillHour posted:

If that happens and you tap left and right really fast, the game will take pity on you and create a tiny hole for you to live in forever dig out of.

Haha, I tried to go up and it seemed like I might been going somewhere? but my health was just depleting way too rapidly.

An earlier run I got what I thought was a pretty effective wand: three simultaneous plasma beams + an area of effect explosion. I just forgot that *I* was also in the area of effect and one "Take this you fuckers :smug:" shot later I was dead :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I managed to end up immune to explosions, lightning and fire so I equipped a souped up thunder explosion and went to town on the Temple of the Art figuring I was indestructible. Turns out I forgot that being pummeled by endless tentacles humbles us all.

Getting as an explanation of what just happened was certainly terrifying too!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

resistentialism posted:

Check out the wand right at the start of this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6RsZscVGNI

I.... I.... sometimes manage to get two force-fields at once and like an explosion and fire immunity going.... I thought that was pretty good.... :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SavageMessiah posted:

The "main" game of noita is basically the tutorial for the real game lol
In my last really good run I travelled like this:
https://i.imgur.com/WgG83sV.mp4

I do love how you start off with this plinky little wand and limited levitation and eventually you can build up some really powerful and weird combinations... and then you see other players and realize they've ascended to eldritch entities tearing holes in reality simply by existing :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't know if it was actually worth the time it took to do this, but there was a real sense of satisfaction....

Having the freedom to just buy whatever I wanted whenever I wanted without giving a poo poo was kind of liberating.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My wands tend be very rudimentary but mother of God is plasma beam with homing shot incredible. I mean, it's a gamble too, because sometimes it decides there's a monster off screen it wants to home towards and ends up slicing you in half in the process, but I ended up killing the final Boss in seconds and wiped out the boss at the top of the desert pyramid easily only to wipe myself out accidentally before I could take a shot at the one KillHour mentioned in the post above, who I've never really managed to put much of a dent into.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahh yes, the liquid, meditation and eye puzzles and the key quest , there are definitely things I, who have put nearly 100 hours into this game, was fully aware of :hai:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

First time I lucked out with explosive immunity/nuclear bombs/unlimited spells I thought I was invincible. That's when I was unceremoniously reminded that while I might be immune to a nuclear bomb, I'm not immune to the giant pieces of brickwork falling from the roof that the nuclear bomb shook loose :doh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hamelekim posted:

This video basically opened my eyes to what could be done in noita.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1hFMDaTZgA

I had no idea about the hidden chainsaw effect.

I know so little about how this game works

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

lurksion posted:

Basic chainsaw fuckery for machine gunning is one of the first things people pick up on no? My asspull guess is that probably like 90%+ of people with a victory know about basic chainsaw/luminous drill machine gunning.

Count me in the 10% then, I've pulled off a couple of victories but almost never used the chainsaw outside of collecting gold early in the game, usually relying on forcefields/beam wands with homing to handle damage.

Until I watched the video I had no idea the way it affected other spells on the wand, and even the minor experimentation I've done with it since has made me realize I was missing out on some super cool stuff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KillHour posted:

Wait. Does concentrated mana damage robots?

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's the equivalent of acid for them. It also eats through environmental metals

Jerusalem posted:

I know so little about how this game works

I feel like I'm still going to be playing this game AND posting the above 10 years from now :stwoon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

There are a ton of weird interactions in this game, like how acceleratium (makes you go fast) + slime (makes you go slow) = explosions.

Wait wait it does WHAT!?! That's incredible :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What happens if you have the slime blood perk and douse yourself in acceleratium? Or does it only cause the explosive reaction if the acceleration effect clashes with the deceleration effect?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hellioning posted:

I have just started this game.

I am very bad at it.

Maybe one day you'll be like me, with 100+ hours into it... and still very bad at it! :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just tried a practice run and got unlimited spells, a water spell and the perk that makes all liquids electric but gives you electricity immunity. Obviously I was immortal aside from not having water-breathing, so I set out to destroy everything in my path and immediately ran into an enemy that freezes all liquids it comes into contact with, and I drowned inside ice :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Did my first Fungal Shift, died before I really got to see what it did (something about Worm Blood?) but that was a cool trippy sequence.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh boy, I wonder what the RNG has in store for me in a practice run today! Oh, what a pleasant surprise, it's glass cannon. Again. :geno:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hamelekim posted:

If you don't grab glass cannon whenever you find it what are you even doing with your life?

Dying slightly less slowly :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Experimenting with spell wrapping after that handy video that was posted earlier has made me realize just how anemic or slow most of the wands I've been playing with all this time have been. And I haven't even come close to hitting some of the crazy higher level spells as ingredients yet.

I managed to make an instantly recharging multiple bouncing burst wand that also cast Fireball Orbit and uhhhhh yeah that was a terrifying time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finally said "gently caress this, I'm going left" and found the lake and the hermit's cabin and the portal in the lake and oh my God there is so much more to this game that I was ever aware of.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

well, until you get brained by falling rocks

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah, i ran into that sometime after making that post :xd:

I like to think it happens to all of us, because that way I feel less bad about not thinking maybe the stuff ABOVE the ceiling would need somewhere to go once I blew it all up :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The lightning stone plus unlimited spells and the sea of water spell is utter joy.

If you also get the ability to breathe and move freely about underwater you becoming a living death ocean and it's amazing and you cannot possibly di-
dies

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think I turned my blood into acid? I was holding a flask of acid and did a fungal shift to see what happened.

What happened is that I instantly died :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

silentsnack posted:

whenever a shift occurs, the game spawns some of the material around the player. this can be amusing/fatal especially if you forget, as you've discovered.

Huh, I never noticed that before, neat!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahaha, finally an early game good selection of wands. It's basic but it's devastatingly effective!

It's so powerful and with such a good range that I feel like I will never be at threat again, and can start getting a little reckless, and my hubris will never prove my undoi-

I ran into the blinding guys who knocked me next to a room full of enemies who were chilling in a pool of ambrosia.... :cripes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love how the lava was like,"Oh poo poo this looks like a party, let's join in!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Anybody else get justifiably mad when they're greeted by this bullshit at the start of a game?

How the gently caress am I supposed to skateboard down into the mines on this? :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

silentsnack posted:

giving you a mulligan on the laws of physics

The Noita experience :hai:

Zamujasa posted:

the F is for all the sick skateboard tricks you won't be doing

Goddammit :xd:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I found a wand that always casts "fireball thrower" and casts 4 spells per click, and it's full of the bouncy green bolts

I know what is going to happen if I use it. I will hurt myself and die. But I can't not use it. I understand the implied horror of rubber bouncy balls that poo poo out deadly flames as they dance around the terrain. Completely out of my control. Moving faster than I can move myself.

I can read the wand without casting it, and know that it will ruin me. But, man, that poo poo sounds wild and I gotta see it in motion. Holy poo poo, it's even more bonkers than I thought! It deletes all living things on screen, detonates all explosives, and removes all terrain that isn't very dense rock or metal.

Time to start a new run.

This is the mindset that these weirdo little magicians need to survive in their hosed up little world :hai:

Also it's a hosed up little world thanks to the mindset of these weirdo little magicians :hai:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm so used to seeing these things backfire, watching you survive was a very pleasant surprise :unsmith:
Also the new thread title is :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SavageMessiah posted:

a heart mimic

A what now? :stonk: