Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol the blue guys shooting big sparkly blue energy balls at you in the ice caves are lightning wizards, not ice wizards. I learned this by dodging into a pool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

grate deceiver posted:

I'm not the only one that has to kick that cart at the start of every single run, right?

yeah, I killed a skulldog thing at the bottom of the shaft one time so now I always do it

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Once you've finished the mines and gone through the first temple or whatever it is to the coal pits, is there any way to get back up to the surface? Or do you need to luck into good items in the mines to go exploring the starting area?

I’ve snuck around over the lava pit to the right of the mines, down a wall and back underneath it to the left through a huge empty area to the ice caves below the second temple. You could do that in reverse if you have massively boosted/unlimited flight

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Hopefully that'll be less boring or less of an advantage as the game gets fleshed out. I do kinda enjoy tripping balls on wyrm blood at the start of every run though

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

As soon as you find any kind of flask you can drain it, then fill it with water(or pheremones, berserkium, whatever) and then whenever you step in a bit of sludge you can just right click spray yourself clean with water

FYI pheremones are at least mildly flammable so you probably don't want to use that, in case you have to douse yourself

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Das_Ubermike posted:

Is wand customization only allowed in the shop between zones?

Yes. I'd imagine tutorials, documentation, etc. are still todo's

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

tbh I think it would go along way in terms of survivability without cheating if the fast movement perk was the default

Picking one perk at start would be a really good boon, and the perks are powerful enough and varied enough to make it completely game-changing

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

There's a perk that increases wand accuracy in exchange for massive recoil. You can use it to fly indefinitely with a pretty wimpy wand

e: didn't get a chance to try that with the starter wand but I had one that was pretty close. Also didn't get a chance to try the perk with a spell that already had appreciable recoil - I imagine it would send you flying backwards half a screen

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 2, 2019

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

A shield or some other way to mitigate bullets really, really helps with the ice caves and the base. It's pretty much mandatory if you don't have some way to torch motherfuckers from behind cover. You're pretty much hosed if you don't have either one of those things

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

TeaJay posted:

Some skeleton mage guys with invincible barriers just attacked me at Holy mountain and I couldn't do anything. Did I trigger that somehow? What's up with that?

You (or a worm :argh:) damaged the Holy Mountain temple, angering the gods

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Some random thoughts/hints:

If you use the scroll wheel to cycle through your inventory while underwater with a thunder stone, you will die

Toxic sludge won't take you down past 1 HP (but acid will)

You drown real fast as a polymorphed sheep

Squirting a bit of water in a big pool of toxic sludge will turn the whole thing to water

Fireproof is not lavaproof

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Berserkium will roughly double your bomb radius. I've died of this like three times now lol

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that I'm not a clever enough witch to ever use the explosion of lightning spell without blowing myself up

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

stick it after <insert projectile spell here> with trigger on a non-shuffle wand.

but I do that :negative:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Seems like the game is giving me substantially better loot post-patch.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

GulagDolls posted:

i always take freeze field and it is always a mistake

Yeah, they should really make small (1-3 pixel) blobs of frozen liquid fall to the floor instead of hanging in space and tripping you up

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lofi posted:

What's the deal with the dark place? At the left of the first level. Anything there aside from the orb and stupid drowning deaths?

You'll be able to see the tunnels in the dark if you're tripping on worm blood

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol you definitely cannot dive on in like that through lava like you could with say, poison snot or burning oil

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

definitely prepare to meet god on the other side of that portal

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You have to be careful to flee up and backwards while spewing noxious poo poo like acid, poison or flames, and never try to use it in close combat unless you have an immunity

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Did the skelly go after the worm or just attack you for it?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Hard Mode: light yourself on fire
Easy Mode: fly over the tree and go pet ducks instead of progressing

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

taqueso posted:

Maybe you could have a build a house wand or a grow flowers wand.

attn devs: a spell that materializes a quaint cottage (which immediately falls on whatever is beneath it) would be real good

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

bloom posted:

e: Who could have seen it coming?

I didn't. I totally expected cause of death to be autodecapitation with that wand

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Is the electro wizard start supposed to make you immune to getting wet? I've played it two times, and the first time I couldn't get wet at all (i.e. no way to douse flames except total immersion in a liquid) and the second time I could get wet starting out, but after ~5 minutes I couldn't. Never had that happen with the electrified perk on its own.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Maybe slime blood should make you go faster when you're slimed. :v:

Yeah, the perks with literally no upside suck, because you can just leave the temple without picking one if all of the options are doom. I'm not sure whether the fix is to improve/remove them or to MAKE you take one

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I agree but this game seems to revel in being preposterously unfair at times :shrug:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Finally won a round. I suppose it doesn’t really count because I had a modded fire wizard start, but I ditched the oil wand after the ice caves because I had homing + cross + damage field, which just annihilates everything in a couple shots. Fire immunity is still ridiculously useful though, because there are so many robots that just explode into a sea of burning oil

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, be aware that fire immunity doesn’t count toward lava either

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If you take the plague rats perk, all the normal rats you meet become friends :kimchi:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Mods are in the stable branch as of the past two or three updates (I bought through gog so no betas for me :emo: )

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ambaire posted:

While the dev is at it, let us also pick up toxic barrels and explosive crates.

This is a really good idea. You'd be able to use explosives to get to most places in the mines, but enemy HP scaling and limited inventory slots would keep it from getting overpowered later on

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Charm on toxic sludge would pair well with a cloud of the stuff, and seems like it would be too situational to be useful otherwise. I've never found both of those on the same run

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Lightning works really well, and you're likely to stumble across at least one copy of it by that point. If you can project some lingering spell (crosses, clouds) with Damage Field attached to it, you basically have a win button. Situationally, you can plink them from behind cover with a light saber, preferably one with a trigger on it that can be used to inject a bunch of poo poo through a wall

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Those gas caverns are rare, but they are a feature that'll generate occasionally in the fungus caves. I'm not sure if the gas behavior is intentional, though. You could go in there and pluck out that bottle and it'll leave an outline in the gas. Similarly, acid sometimes seems to get stuck in puddles in stop eating through the floor for a while, then pick back up

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I've had decent luck with perk lottery, honestly :shrug: Hell, the first time I won I managed to grab every perk that wasn't actively detrimental for the last two or three stages

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

Today I learned that the Electrified perk isn't quite as good as I thought it was.

https://i.imgur.com/sW1QleQ.mp4

The problem is less electrification itself and more that cryo tanks buried in snow are super hard to spot

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Lately I just wanna skip down to the second level and tackle it with spells swapped on the starter wands because I'm sick to death of the mines, but I know I'd survive way longer with the extra 100-200 HP fully exploring the first level usually nets :smith:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Giga-sawblades are always a bad idea and I always have to gently caress with them

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Log082 posted:

I think most people know that those metal trap boxes that spawn in the mines protecting wands can be activated by a lightning spell even if they've been removed from the trap.

Did you know they can also be activated by destroying them the right way? Some things, like a bomb, won't do it. A shot from an energy orb, say hypothetically gotten from a lucky chest and being used to mine out all the gold in the mines, will do it.

I didn't know this.

I almost escaped the acid wave.

I'm pretty sure this was introduced in a recent patch. Lightning boxes that you can set off are sitting around in the ice caves now too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

A good basic strategy is to beeline down to the next Holy Mountain, clear out anything in the immediate vicinity, then explore from there, returning when you get low on health