Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Thanks these are all pretty handy.

Is there an easy way to put lava in a flask? I know you can use that to help push the odds that it will fungal shift something

Just fungal shift whatever you've got in the bottle to lava first. don't try this, you'll break the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

ZeusCannon posted:

Welp the nice ground is gold save killed me in the ice caves. Those gatling gun drones can suck it. My boomerang spells couldn't reach them and they just filled the air with lead.

They can't figure out how to target you if you're standing inside of them, similar to how the jetpack hiisi can't aim straight up

Eric the Mauve posted:

Boomerang Spells is one of several perks that are nothing more than a prank.

The damage buff on boomerang spells is so huge it's basically a game winning perk, like the one that reduces spell spread or tinker wands everywhere. It does require a bit of finesse with particular spells, though. Kind of a devil's bargain.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

resistentialism posted:

I think you mean, see it way better than you really meant to.

Normally you see them, personal plasma beam allows you to really get the whole 6-senses experience

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

BONGHITZ posted:

interesting interaction I ran across

Yeah, those things are quirky. If you pin yourself under them they can push you through floors and such.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Electrifying a pool of polymorphine should alter items dropped in it. Permanently. Potions, too, but just that one bottle, not every instance of that liquid.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Gromit posted:

Teased by another lackluster patch!

What is this bullshit? Every new line of code that lands in Noita is a shimmering, perfect blessing. Even the tiniest complaint cannot be tolerated lest it spook the devs and they don't come back out for another 2 years! Think before you speak!

What you should have said is "I love playing on the beta branch! Maybe they'll add support for saving death replay with sound, maybe as .mp4!"

:razz:

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Gromit posted:

After moving past the bakery, you get to The Magician's Butchery where a little guy throws sausages at you.

It'll be wild if they stumble onto the bakery skip without realizing it

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

E S D F for movement, kick on rmb, A for wand 1 which is always the attack wand, wand 2 is always my "movement" wand (teleport) if I have one, wand 3 is digging, wand 4 is where the black hole goes, and if I have Greek spells, it frees up wand 3.

Water flask in flask 1, bound to the mouse "back" button, flask 4 is where I keep a tablet, bound to mouse forward. Flask 2 and 3 are for whatever handy stuff I find. I usually throw away the tablet by snowy depths.

I hit 1,000 hours yesterday, I'm still terrible at the game

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Vampirism is the funniest perk for the dumbass alchemist.

Proposal: life eternal, draining the life force of your foes

Reality: You're schlepping a chainsaw through Hiisi Base, fastidiously liquifying every oozing nugget of flesh you can find. The 3 lowest floors of the base are completely filled with cloudy, scabrous blood mixed with various impurities. You have to choke down 113 cubic meters of blood to recover 95 hp.

After hours of grim labor, you finally submerge yourself up to your neck in the foul sludgy blood lake and begin thirstily gulping. You wonder where all the blood goes, since you're not getting any bigger.

For the 80th time today, you gag on your own vomit.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

uPen posted:

There’s a huge fungal zone east of the pyramid under the desert that has shitloads of wands. I almost always find what I’m looking for there unless it’s something stupid rare like vigor.

"Wand Mart"

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Ariong posted:

To test this I made a wand that goes: Reduce recharge time, spark bolt with trigger, triple scatter spell, magic bolt, magic bolt, magic bolt. That seems to work… sometimes.

What’s causing the inconsistency?

Did you pick up the projectile duplication perk? That will break virtually every wand build, especially if they depend on trigger spells.

Edit: if you don't mind mild spoilers, the old man has a good "wands 101" video: https://youtu.be/-W4o-6_omXI

dobbymoodge fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 18, 2024

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Ariong posted:

The worst part is that had previously I predicted that laser would be a problem on my way back and tried to destroy it, but for some reason those dinky little things are invincible.

They just have a ton of HP. They're part of the security system for one of the most powerful alchemists, according to my interpretation of the lore, so it makes sense that they would need to be as dangerous as the creatures that patrol the Ancient Laboratory - and any that would interfere in that domain. (e: so it's supported by the lore IMHO, and isn't an arbitrary design decision. It's a dangerous world full of strange and powerful creatures; you may need to become more powerful to contend with it, even mundane-seeming environmental hazards. Knowledge is power.)

It sounds like you're having Fun the Noita Way!

dobbymoodge fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 18, 2024

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

DarkDobe posted:

Noita and the associated lore puts me in mind of the Dread Empire novels by Glen Cook, where one of the overarching antagonists is a wizard ordained by the gods (or some similar analog) to both keep the world in order by imprisoning really dangerous monsters and creatures - but also to keep the humans and others at each other's throats and therefore 'under control' and unable to develop too rapidly.
Just a meddling rear end in a top hat that flies around on his magical star horse, leaves the world riddled with magical deathraps, and keeps a prison full of demigods on the verge of breaking loose and ruining everything.
Exactly the kind of poo poo a bungling witch should be stumbling into.

I think that's the vibe, except there's no equivalent to that ordination in Noita. There might not even be Gods. I think the High Alchemist and certain other enemies are just other Noidat, just slightly further along in their journey than you, perhaps having made different choices than you would have, or having had a different set of choices available for whatever reason. The rationale behind why there are such diverse creatures of wrath are maybe similar to your example, however I think there's more than one jackass meddling with them.

I think Minä aspires to be one of these jackasses, but at the start of the game they're no stronger than the average Hiisi, and perhaps only slightly smarter. At the end of the game they're at least stronger.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

BMan posted:

If there's no gods, then who keeps sending steve after me?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I forget where I read this, probably in the spoiler section of the wiki, but IIRC (setting lore) there's a god each for Nature, Magic, and Technology, and they're all vying with each other for power. Miina is pretty clearly Magic-aligned, and the Hiisi are Technology-aligned (though they'll use wands if they find them). Presumably these are the gods that are pissed off if you violate a holy mountain...but then why are all of the items in the holy mountain magic-aligned?

IMHO it's easy to say you're a god, especially if you've consolidated a bunch of magical and technological power. If the three gods from the intro and orb rooms text are "real", I imagine Nature to be the only "true" god. The other two are reactions to Nature and each other. It is possible, though, that Nature themselves are a reaction against whatever created the great egg.

e: which - as we know but perhaps they don't - is a bigassed loon.

Now I'm thinking about all the egg imagery in the game.

Also, I'm not a lore expert, and I'm certainly projecting more than a little middle aged cynicism onto the framework Noita provides. It's fun, everyone should try. :cheers:

e: oof I'm a colossal nerd

dobbymoodge fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 19, 2024

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

goferchan posted:

Anyone have any clue on who or what Kolmisilmä is supposed to be? Natural inhabitant of the land? Another really hosed up wizard/alchemist? I can't recall any tablets etc. referencing him off the top of my head, but I imagine there's a reason he's the final boss

Big Hamis

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Ariong posted:

Ugh! Worms seem to be very annoying and pointless. I feel the same way about them as I used to feel about the weird multicasts and modifers: that there’s a bizarre amount of emphasis placed onto them relative to what they add to the game. Worm-based perks, worm-based fluids and flasks, worm crystal, all kinds of bespoke mechanics in service of what seems for all the world to be a very run-of-the-mill enemy that apparently sometimes borks your run. I hope at some point something clicks and, like with the aforementioned weird multicasts and modifiers, I realize that there is a whole dimension to them I am not seeing that makes all this worm stuff totally worth dealing with.

Worm blood has some interesting alchemical uses and it's a tasty drink too. Worms also can enable crazy early game strategies. I just had a run where I was able to follow a worm tunnel to the coal pits, grab a bunch of heart upgrades there, climb back to the mines and then enter the holy mountain. I grabbed the heart and was able to complete coal pits with over 300 hp.

Worms are fun.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Ariong posted:

Just watched a new player guide and it was all stuff I’ve already learned… except for the fact that drinking worm blood lets you see into that magically dark area, which is something I never would have discovered on my own in a million years. Seems like there’s lots of stuff in this game that is obscure to the point of being incredibly unlikely to discover organically.

Is there a middle ground between looking up all the secrets and just risking that you’ll never discover a bunch of stuff? Maybe a good hint guide somewhere?

Role play that you're the dumbest possible alchemist. Step one is always "what happens if I drink this?", step two is "what happens if I mix these?"

Step three is watching your death replay and saying wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Shyrka posted:

If you're travelling fast enough with teleports you start to hear a jet engine whine and then it blasts out a crater when you hit the ground.

I dunno if this is commonly known or not, I haven't played Noita in like a year but I've been getting into it again these last few days and I couldn't see a reference to this behaviour on the wiki.

This was added in the big update that recently came out, and it is completely awesome.