Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mboc6sBwWAM

America loves Tomba, I love Tomba, and you should too. This is a PS1 classic, an excellent platformer from an age where any old weird poo poo could get published, and it's wonderfully goofy. From Whoopee Camp, makers of this, and... well, the sequel. That's it. Then they went kaput, which is a drat shame. :(

Tomba is a wild child who, for some reason, has a bracelet from his dead grandpa. At least until the intro cinematic anyway, and then some evil pigs show up and Tomba now needs to furiously bite everything in his way to get it back, because that's how this works. Featuring catchy if slightly irritating music, awesome platformer controls, and more sidequests than you or your grandpa can deal with, there's a lot to love in here.

Weirdly enough, this and its sequel are two of the only PSX games that do not work on the PS2 or PS3. The two were eventually patched to fix whatever weirdness caused that for a PSone classics release on PSN, but it took a drat long time for that to happen for Tomba 2, with the Japanese version being the only one for sale for quite a while.

Anyway, the journey begins, and we immediately start making a mess of things and chuck pigs everywhere. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3-6RNKCIWk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

America loves Tomba, I love Tomba, and you should too.

I have serious misgivings about Tomba

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tomba! :glomp: I love Tomba!

Never played 2, but I played the crap out of 1.

Normally, I'm not fond of VLPs, but you guys do it right (by my standards), so I'll be waiting for the next update.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Kheldarn posted:

Normally, I'm not fond of VLPs, but you guys do it right (by my standards), so I'll be waiting for the next update.

HOLY poo poo DEWGY WE DO SOMETHING RIGHT :dogcited: :dogcited:

Seriously, thank you, though--I'm glad to know our work is appreciated!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

His name is Tombi. :colbert:

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Kheldarn posted:

I was the opposite. I owned and played 2 to death but never 1. I rented it from Blockbuster once but the disc was too scratched to play.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

HOLY poo poo DEWGY WE DO SOMETHING RIGHT :dogcited: :dogcited:

:aaaaa:

SirSamVimes posted:

Sure, maybe if you're Dutch. :colbert:

actually I'm part dutch so I guess he's Tombi now, gently caress

DukeofCA posted:

I was the opposite. I owned and played 2 to death but never 1. I rented it from Blockbuster once but the disc was too scratched to play.

drat, that is a grand tragedy right there. Before it went digital I know Tomba 1 was one of those "perpetually $50-or-more" games like the original Klonoa, and busted copies can't have helped that much. :(

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

SirSamVimes posted:

I always wondered why they changed the name for the PAL release. I know Alberto Tomba was a famous Italian alpine skiing champion back in the 90s, but I don't think most people would get him confused with a pink-haired anime kid who fights evil pigs.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I've been wanting an LP of this game and its sequel for some time, best of luck to you guys.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Tomba is such a weird, but amusing game. The Director (and Producer and Lead Designer) is Tokuro Fujiwara who also directed all sorts of games like Ghosts and Goblins, Bionic Commando and produced even more during his tenure as the GM of Capcom's Console Games Division. It's actually a bit of a shame that the Tomba games did so poorly as Fujiwara basically left Capcom to found Whoopee Camp to develop the game.

There's some weird bits like the 2.5D navigation not always being totally clear, but that's improved upon a little in Tomba 2. I can sorta understand how people could sleep on the game though. It's another sort of action adventure game like Zelda, but it's practically an Indie game compared to what's essentially the Triple-A Ocarina of Time that came out in between Tomba! (97) and Tomba 2 (99) and is way slower paced overall.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Doc M posted:

I always wondered why they changed the name for the PAL release. I know Alberto Tomba was a famous Italian alpine skiing champion back in the 90s, but I don't think most people would get him confused with a pink-haired anime kid who fights evil pigs.

From some short research "Tomba" mean "tomb" or "grave" in Italian....so maybe that's it? Doubtful, but its something.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Get out your pencils, it's time to brush up on the basics!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCdrcBBWFBA

Next week is Pigonomics 101, so make sure to study good before then.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
This game is so good.

My favorite part of it is the weird score mechanics that never really end up mattering, but I seem to remember they did more in the next game?

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

Get out your pencils, it's time to brush up on the basics!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCdrcBBWFBA

Next week is Pigonomics 101, so make sure to study good before then.

I WAS TOLD THERE'D BE NO MATH :colbert:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Carados posted:

This game is so good.

My favorite part of it is the weird score mechanics that never really end up mattering, but I seem to remember they did more in the next game?

They, along with the maxed out weapons, would get you an item that would make you invincible. But at that point, you've probably done a majority of the game and sidequests and have done a bunch of some of the harder challenges in the game. So you don't get nothing, but it's not really all that helpful compared to the weapons you need to get it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Xelkelvos posted:

They, along with the maxed out weapons, would get you an item that would make you invincible. But at that point, you've probably done a majority of the game and sidequests and have done a bunch of some of the harder challenges in the game. So you don't get nothing, but it's not really all that helpful compared to the weapons you need to get it.

I think it’s a big part of the charm. The game has so much to do but requires so little of it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Professor Duck posted:

I WAS TOLD THERE'D BE NO MATH :colbert:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
This game is such a great experience.

The flowers, though...

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Jon Joe posted:

This game is such a great experience.
:cawg:

quote:

The flowers, though...
:cry:

Yeah if I remember right we’re in for a bit of tedium on those until we get a few specific items....

:cry:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

:honk:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Tomba is a good game.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yes it is, I adore this game and even more so the sequel cause of how charming they are.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Chimera-gui posted:

Yes it is, I adore this game and even more so the sequel cause of how charming they are.

I can see why this game is liked so much. It's pretty wild, and I've been enjoying it (since I never played it before)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You should definitely gold the mermaid race then!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
*bites the thread*

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Jon Joe posted:

*bites the thread*

You now have a level 1 understanding of creating lovely LPs!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Professor Duck posted:

You now have a level 1 understanding of creating lovely LPs!

I was hoping it would release a new video.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Jon Joe posted:

I was hoping it would release a new video.

It’s coming! Slightly delayed though for reasons. Spoiled for depressing: Was working on it earlier and I just found out my cat died, so my day’s a little thrown off. Now I’m sad and I also have to dig a big fat hole for my big fat cat. :(

Should be up in the next couple of hours though.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
OK, it's alright, I'm good, it's OK.... OH GOD WHO LEFT THIS BOWL OF SAD MUSHROOMS HERE :cry: :cry: :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZk_a3ihIb0

Luckily if TCC (Tomba's Crackhead Clubhouse) has taught me anything, apart from how to convince skeletons to try LSD, it's that there's always another mushroom out there to solve the problem.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

OK, it's alright, I'm good, it's OK.... OH GOD WHO LEFT THIS BOWL OF SAD MUSHROOMS HERE :cry: :cry: :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZk_a3ihIb0

Luckily if TCC (Tomba's Crackhead Clubhouse) has taught me anything, apart from how to convince skeletons to try LSD, it's that there's always another mushroom out there to solve the problem.

...Did.....did I miss something here?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Down is a type of feather. So a phoenix down is the feather of a bird associated with resurrection. :eng101:

Something that amuses me is the fact that you didn't get the "There's a curse here, get the pig bag!" quest when entering the terrifying mushroom/flower forest. That area isn't cursed, it's just like that.

Also, here's a useful thing (if my vague memories of this game are correct) try charging up your weapon attack and using it on one of the springy plant things that you keep stepping on.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

SirSamVimes posted:

That area isn't cursed, it's just like that.

I think that goes a long way in explaining the world as a whole, really.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

SirSamVimes posted:

Something that amuses me is the fact that you didn't get the "There's a curse here, get the pig bag!" quest when entering the terrifying mushroom/flower forest. That area isn't cursed, it's just like that.

I think that is because that area is technically part of Dwarf Forest but I could be misremembering.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
It's more of a juncture between Dwarf Forest, Phoenix Mountain, Haunted Mansion and the regular Mansion in the Village of All Beginnings.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

mateo360 posted:

I think that is because that area is technically part of Dwarf Forest but I could be misremembering.

No, that's right. There are a couple changes in there when the Dwarf Forest gets cured.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Iirc, the intended way to get that panel that you killed yourself on is to use the Boomerang ala LoZ

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Xelkelvos posted:

Iirc, the intended way to get that panel that you killed yourself on is to use the Boomerang ala LoZ

That was my second thought, but the first one worked anyway, so it is what it is.

Discomusic
Aug 8, 2016

Professor Duck posted:

From some short research "Tomba" mean "tomb" or "grave" in Italian....so maybe that's it? Doubtful, but its something.

Yep, I confirm that being the reason. They didn't want to scare our precious italian children by giving a creepy name to a cartoonish character.

I love Tombi by the way, it's one of my most favourite games ever. Once every one or two years I return to it. My favourite self-imposed quest is to clear all the events without ever looking at the event screen. I also finished it without unlocking any of the optional events (it is very difficult as well because they are scattered everywhere and in certain cases you have to know what to do to avoid them).

Cloudmonkey98
Apr 1, 2019
God, I remember this game... poorly, but I loved it... then the disc stopped reading

Also I guess Tomba is Cannibalistic Starfire? Learning languages through biting rather then kissing

More as I catch up, I'm still in the first episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Discomusic posted:

Yep, I confirm that being the reason. They didn't want to scare our precious italian children by giving a creepy name to a cartoonish character.

I love Tombi by the way, it's one of my most favourite games ever. Once every one or two years I return to it. My favourite self-imposed quest is to clear all the events without ever looking at the event screen. I also finished it without unlocking any of the optional events (it is very difficult as well because they are scattered everywhere and in certain cases you have to know what to do to avoid them).

That's really neat! Also, drat, you're way more dedicated than I am, haha. This is probably my third or fourth time through it, but challenge runs in this do sound pretty fun.

Speaking of scaring children, there's a pantsless monkey, and that's just uncalled for. We can take care of that though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMkZSJw1zNw

Also that mansion still messes me up to this day. Just 100% lost, all the time. :psyduck: