Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Cloudmonkey98 posted:

God, I remember this game... poorly, but I loved it... then the disc stopped reading

Also I guess Tomba is Cannibalistic Starfire? Learning languages through biting rather then kissing

More as I catch up, I'm still in the first episode

I mean....it might get a little weird if it was kissing...

Then again, things are already weird :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah this is not a game you should to playthrough blind, the sequel is a little friendlier towards playing blind but thing game is notoriously unforgiving.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I definitely never beat this as a kid.

Also I think the disc broke at some point... and maybe it wasn't an accident.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

AweStriker posted:

I definitely never beat this as a kid.

Also I think the disc broke at some point... and maybe it wasn't an accident.

I can understand some of that last sentiment here. From what I've seen so far, I can feel the frustration that goes with playing this with no idea what's going on.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Chimera-gui posted:

Yeah this is not a game you should to playthrough blind, the sequel is a little friendlier towards playing blind but thing game is notoriously unforgiving.

I beat the game just fine when it came out, some of the optional quests are ridiculous but well, they're optional. In future playthroughs I was able to get all but one of the sidequests (Where the Barrel Rolls) without help eventually.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Oh it is technically possible to complete the game's story blind but there are multiple areas to explore at the same time after you hit certain milestones is little direction to find said milestones so you end up stumbling around trying to figure out where to go next.

This is something that was thankfully fixed in the sequel since areas open up in a linear fashion meaning you always have the means to complete at least the mandatory missions of each either from what you've already done in a previous area or the tasks you're given as soon as you enter.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 12, 2019

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Chimera-gui posted:

I loved playing this game blind because there was so much mystery about everything. It's poorly defined and explained what you're meant to do, but the vague directions of "find progressively older men" and "find pig bags, seal pigs" allowed a sense of discovery and figuring things out kind of like a cross between a RPG and a puzzle game.

I recently played through as an adult, and I never created the Flower Tower as a kid, so doing it as an adult allowed me to gain that excitement again.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

A TMBG shoutout? I'm rating this thread 5 again!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Kheldarn posted:

A TMBG shoutout? I'm rating this thread 5 again!

Note to self: MORE PANDERING :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Well I don't have pandering, but I do have delays! That's like pandering right?

After several attempts to record this weekend delayed by technical problems and work sucking terribly (oh my god it sucked so bad :negative:), we will be taking a short pause. Should be updating Tuesday or Wednesday though, soon as we can manage. Sorry about that, feel free to mock me endlessly for being bad at computers. :pram:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I mean, we're going to mock you endlessly because you're an LPer, so…

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Kheldarn posted:

I mean, we're going to mock you endlessly because you're an LPer, so…

I suppose that's better than the unending silence that is the usual response to our stuff...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

What if I do both?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kheldarn posted:

What if I do both?

Endless mocking silence? drat, he's good at this.

Cloudmonkey98
Apr 1, 2019
Nice work making progress, as for the Fire Gem, I do think you needed Lv10 Red, since that was the difference between the last time you failed and the time you did grab it(also it uses a similarly red bar for its charge) and the menu calls those bars "Experience" by name

By this line of thinking, I imagine there'll be a Blue and Yellow Crystal as well, Ice and Elec I guess? And they'll need 10 in those colors

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Water and wind actually hence why their bars are blue and green respectively.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
OK! That's all dealt with (until five minutes from now anyway), so you can resume your silent stares and tossing vegetables and whatnot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-ECMeEMODk

This part of the game is... painful. Not bad, just wow, difficulty spike ahoy. If I remember right nothing else in the game has as many pits either.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

OK! That's all dealt with (until five minutes from now anyway), so you can resume your silent stares and tossing vegetables and whatnot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-ECMeEMODk

This part of the game is... painful. Not bad, just wow, difficulty spike ahoy. If I remember right nothing else in the game has as many pits either.

All I can think about is Baby Plucky saying "Tomba go down the hooooooooooooole"

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

We have to go back wasn't a :lost: reference?

Pretty sure enemies are color coded to their XP bars.

Yes, she needs the Fruit. Maybe you should have written that down...?

Faith No More? Oh, the references!

*mocking silence*

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I'm guessing the parasol would have made those platforming segments in the jungle a little easier? Man, I barely remember the jungle and clock tower--mostly because I spent so much time at the damned mansion.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Prowler posted:

I'm guessing the parasol would have made those platforming segments in the jungle a little easier? Man, I barely remember the jungle and clock tower--mostly because I spent so much time at the damned mansion.

The parasol is bizarre. It feels like it should help, but the platformer controls are so picky and the level design fits it like a glove, so the floatiness just makes it harder to control. The one part of the windy mountain that always makes me panic is just three non-running hops to the right, but trying to dash or use the parasol just makes it an exercise in killing yourself.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah, this was what I was referring to when I said that this punishes this going in blind with that cave being especially frustrating even when you don't know where you're going so I advise using the parasol.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Prowler posted:

:yossame:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I love this game and know it up and down and I still get lost in the mansion, don't feel bad.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Grapplejack posted:

I love this game and know it up and down and I still get lost in the mansion, don't feel bad.

:same:

It's still my favourite area of the game.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm not caught up yet, only up to the fourth video, but I'm enjoying the LP so far. One of my favorite games of all time.

Also, there's a lot of cut content in the game, and even more if you include the demos. The weird looking dealie near the Dwarf Elder's hut, and the giant axe in the town proper are probably related to events that were unused one of the demos, and entirely excised by the time the retail version came out. There's an event called AP Slot Machine, and one called Dwarf's Help with an associated axe icon. There were a lot of changes between versions of the game, even just between Japan and elsewhere. I'd actually go so far as to call the Japanese version kind of unfinished.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
More good times! More dying horribly. More... getting lost in the mansion... :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWUmxxW8AMY

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I appreciate that after your last video where you navigated the jungle with ease, this one involved an experience more like what I remember from my childhood.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I'd note that the eagles weren't at the meeting for what to do with the Ring and even if they were, having them take it wouldn't have worked in the first place since Sauron and his forces would've seen and killed them before they ever got close to Mount Doom.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 10, 2019

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Chimera-gui posted:

I'd note that the eagle weren't at the meeting for what to do with the Ring and even if they were, having them take it wouldn't have worked in the first place since Sauron and his forces would've seen and killed them before they ever got close to Mount Doom.

"The Eagles are a dangerous 'machine'. I have used them sparingly, and that is the absolute limit of their credibility or usefulness. "

Nah--Tolkien himself knew that he couldn't write it that way. :v:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Maybe not on purpose but then again not a a lot of the people who asked that question remember how armed Sauron's forces are especially on their own territory nor that the books apparently explain why the eagles didn't take the ring to Mordor outright: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NebzjctwMp0

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Having given it some more thought, I'm sure they were just worried about a mass pooping in the great eye.

Which, while funny, would have been extremely counterproductive in the long run.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

Having given it some more thought, I'm sure they were just worried about a mass pooping in the great eye.

Which, while funny, would have been extremely counterproductive in the long run.

If you gross it out enough, maybe it'll just give up?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
He leaves Tom Bombadil alone, theory checks out!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
It's that time again! By which I mean it's time to fall headfirst into a bunch of bottomless chasms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA5GgMqzeVk

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah, this is the point where I definitely consult a guide since this is the kind of adventure game nonsense that Tomba is notorious for.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 27, 2019

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Chimera-gui posted:

Yeah, this is the point where I definitely consult a guide since this is the kind adventure game nonsense that Tomba is notorious for.

:omarcomin:

Backtracking to every point in the game to see if you missed something or something new spawned isn't my idea of fun...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Rise and Shine powder was actually a reward for killing the floating monsters they kept ignoring. Once the Forest of 100 Flowers curse was removed, that causes new yellow monsters to spawn (as mentioned by the guys at the lumberjack factory) so I guess if the purple ones were still alive they just get removed and the reward is put on the ground.

Spoilers explain why it appeared, not what its point is. :eng101:

Edit: If you want vague directions without resorting to a guide, here's something to remember about the pig bags: While the fortune teller hints at the locations of the pig doors, the bags themselves are always in the area that was cursed.

The remaining cursed areas are (if I recall correctly) Bacchus Village and the jungle.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 27, 2019

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
This is why I slightly prefer the second game as the more linear progression means region objectives rarely require going to areas outside of that region and are thus much easier to find. There are some quests that span areas of multiple regions and thus do require backtracking but thankfully these quests are really upfront about "you're going to need to do something in another region(s) to complete this".

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I never actually beat this game as a kid, I got to the Phoenix Mountain and gave up. I did not expect the sudden racism!

Tombi 2 on the other hand, I played the hell out of that.