Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
While progress is easier in two, there's also a point of no return that you want to avoid at all costs until you've done everything else less you be locked out of 100% completion.

This game also has stuff you can lose permanently hence why a guide is mandatory for 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discomusic
Aug 8, 2016

Professor Duck posted:

:omarcomin:

Backtracking to every point in the game to see if you missed something or something new spawned isn't my idea of fun...

Fortunately it is mine, and sidequesting back and forth trying to connect the dots is why i love the game so much.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Chimera-gui posted:

While progress is easier in two, there's also a point of no return that you want to avoid at all costs until you've done everything else less you be locked out of 100% completion.

This game also has stuff you can lose permanently hence why a guide is mandatory for 100%.

Welp, we're bound to eff that all up, then :v:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think you've already avoided one of the potential ways to eff it up.

There's a limited amount of cheese in the game, so if you eat too much you can never complete the Cheese Please quest.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SirSamVimes posted:

I think you've already avoided one of the potential ways to eff it up.

There's a limited amount of cheese in the game, so if you eat too much you can never complete the Cheese Please quest.

We tried eating cheese at one point and it didn't work. Lactose intolerant I guess.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Dewgy posted:

We tried eating cheese at one point and it didn't work. Lactose intolerant I guess.

maybe it just wasn’t very good cheese. Tomba doesn’t seem to me like the type to bother with, for instance, mild cheddar, or any other kind of food that doesn’t somehow bite back :v:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Actually there three distinct ways of loving up:
  • You want to avoid destroying the spiked barrel in the Dwarf Forest's bridge area since there's an event tied to it.
  • You want to get the Bronze medal before getting Silver and both before getting Gold as all three are their own quests and going straight to Gold makes it impossible to get the others.
  • There is an event where you are given a special lunch box to give to a certain character, :siren:DO NOT EAT IT!:siren:

Prowler
May 24, 2004

It definitely got to a point where I had a guide handy when I couldn't figure something out within a few minutes. To say that my patience was running thin would be an understatement.

Discomusic
Aug 8, 2016

Chimera-gui posted:

Actually there three distinct ways of loving up:
  • You want to avoid destroying the spiked barrel in the Dwarf Forest's bridge area since there's an event tied to it.
  • You want to get the Bronze medal before getting Silver and both before getting Gold as all three are their own quests and going straight to Gold makes it impossible to get the others.
  • There is an event where you are given a special lunch box to give to a certain character, :siren:DO NOT EAT IT!:siren:

Only the first way is true. You can collect the lesser medals even if you already have the higher ones if you play the race again and conclude deliberately between the proper time range, and you can eat the special lunch box and talk to the character afterwards, he/she will say it doesn't matter and conclude the quest anyway.

Also, Cheese is a non consumable item.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I read that either the game locks you out of getting the other medals after the gold because it assumes you already have them or it doesn't let you get later medals until you already have the previous one but I might be wrong on that.

And while you can conclude the quest after eating the lunch box, you don't get the reward for actually giving the lunch box to the character you're taking it to so I would still advise against eating it.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 29, 2019

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Iirc the barrel one can also be failed once you clear the area, since you can't get it into the water at that point without it breaking. (I may be wrong on this though)

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Only if you use something stronger than your default blackjack or charge the shot, you just have hit it twice with two regular blackjack attacks to knock off the spikes and then you can push it into the water.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I feel like we're gonna have to go back and dig into some of this later. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKXGmCJFupc

Admittedly that sort of snuck up on us! The power of friendship hits you fast I guess.

And yeah we're totally starting up Tomba 2 next. :getin:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Dewgy posted:

And yeah we're totally starting up Tomba 2 next. :getin:

:woop:

I adored 2 as a kid and I haven't had a chance to replay it since, so I'm very excited!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Just to note, you do want to 100% the first game because it unlocks quests in two. You won't need to do that until you do something in the Water Temple.

Discomusic
Aug 8, 2016

Chimera-gui posted:

I read that either the game locks you out of getting the other medals after the gold because it assumes you already have them or it doesn't let you get later medals until you already have the previous one but I might be wrong on that.

From my experience it doesn't work that way. I always start the race trying to get the best result I can, and then work at the lower medals when I get the gold (which is never at the first attempt).
That's usually where I give up the "Clear the game 100% in one session without saving" self-imposed challenge, because I spend hours working on that gold medal.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Chimera-gui posted:

Just to note, you do want to 100% the first game because it unlocks quests in two. You won't need to do that until you do something in the Water Temple.

That’s pretty neat, but honestly, I have no idea how to get my save files to interact across games in the emulator I’m using. :v:

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Chimera-gui posted:

You don't need to 100% the first game, there's only 4 quests that unlock quests in two (and 2 of those were required early-game quests)

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

whitehelm posted:

You don't need to 100% the first game, there's only 4 quests that unlock quests in two (and 2 of those were required early-game quests)

We might be going back for some stuff, anyway--while we are starting Tomba 2, we are discussing showing off what we missed.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I don't think I ever played the sequel, so I can't wait to see you do T2: Munchment Day.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Kheldarn posted:

I don't think I ever played the sequel, so I can't wait to see you do T2: Munchment Day.

That's pretty great right there! :five:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Luckily you don’t have to wait!

Well, any longer than you already have I suppose.

*chop*

e: well actually given i screwed up the recording you may have to wait a bit, poo

ee: just gonna sneak this right back on in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xf4sxy8H_U

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 9, 2019

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
Huh, everything from 42:22 on in the video is silent.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Well, that’s...odd. :v:

Gonna have to look into that. Sorry!

e: It’s on the original video track, argh. :saddowns:

RETAKE! See you in a few days everybody.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 3, 2019

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Just to help you out for the retake, it would be a good idea to flip the red/blue barrels so that the same color faces upwards across all of them though the chosen color itself is not important.

And yeah the Bird Clothes are not the most ideal outfit though they're sufficient for now.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

DFlux posted:

Huh, everything from 42:22 on in the video is silent.

Wouldn't be out channel without some kind of technical difficulty! :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
And with that, the great "I screwed that file up real hard" crisis of 2019 is over. Looking forward to the sequel, but until then, we got stuff to get into!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xf4sxy8H_U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlyON2sYtL0

I really do love the "first person we grabbed off the street who spoke English" voice work in this game. It just screams "PS1 game", just like the weird wobbly textures do. :allears:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

I really do love the "first person we grabbed off the street who spoke English" voice work in this game. It just screams "PS1 game", just like the weird wobbly textures do. :allears:

When you work for a company called "Whoopie Camp", you take all comers! :rimshot:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, you do get a reward for completing all side-quests in 2, including the stuff that unlocks after doing certain thing in the first game it's a good idea to do as many as you can. Plus it's very easy to complete side-quests by accident since they tend to appear just by running around.

And the reason Gran told us about the Pig Bag is that this game was designed so you can play it independently of the first one, similar to how you could play Spyro 2 and 3 independently.

Also Kujara Ranch is one of my favorite areas in 2 so here's some advice, you can use a regular hammer to break the snow mounds though the Fire Hammer is obviously better for that. I'd also advise getting the Ice Anemone dregs as well by doing what you did to get the Fire Anemone dregs.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ugh. They should have stuck with the design from Tomba! 1. The 3D models look bad.

Also, I predicted that it would be Charles in the mud lump. Too bad you can't use him in place of a Hammer.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair at the time of the original PlayStation, Sony believed that 3D graphics were the future and thus they weren't interested in 2D games in the west: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvVTwCEfhBM

I imagine that this was at partially the impudence for 2 being in 3D as I don't think Woopee Camp were going to try to push a second 2D game after the first suffered sales-wise.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kheldarn posted:

Ugh. They should have stuck with the design from Tomba! 1. The 3D models look bad.

Also, I predicted that it would be Charles in the mud lump. Too bad you can't use him in place of a Hammer.

I’m both impressed and extremely disappointed that he survived the lava.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

God, how did anyone anywhere decide that the god awful background music during dialogue was necessary? Or good enough to even be heard more than once? Combined with the narration, it makes it sound like someone is playing an edutainment game.

(Obviously I never played Tomba 2).

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I’ve been struggling to put it to words in real time, but it sounds like if Monkey Island got the Resident Evil Director’s Cut Dualshock treatment.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I feel it's important to understand that we are judging it based on modern standards which are built on the benefit of hindsight, this was Woopee Camp's second game and they'd go defunct shortly after its release so they'd didn't exactly get much of a trial and error period with it.

Like I will freely admit that this game did not age as well as say Spyro 2 but I still think it has a charm despite that.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Prowler posted:

God, how did anyone anywhere decide that the god awful background music during dialogue was necessary? Or good enough to even be heard more than once? Combined with the narration, it makes it sound like someone is playing an edutainment game.

It sounds like someone trying to figure out "99 Luftballons" and somehow getting it confused with Pearl Jam's "Daughter".

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Prowler posted:

(Obviously I never played Tomba 2).

I'm sure you've heard me comment about it frequently. From a professional musician's standpoint.....just....what the hell? I think the composer just learned about complex meter and wanted to shoehorn it in somehow.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

I'm sure you've heard me comment about it frequently. From a professional musician's standpoint.....just....what the hell? I think the composer just learned about complex meter and wanted to shoehorn it in somehow.

Or they have no idea what they're doing, like me! I think I wrote a ditty at 17/32 at one point somehow. These things just sorta happen when you write yourself into a corner I think. :v:

Unrelated note, for some reason due to YouTube changes (probably good ones admittedly) I had to select whether our video was made for children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3-kBHMfFhA

No. No it was not.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm a real sucker for PS1 3d graphics, though I'm sure it's entirely just nostalgia. Look at them good good pixels!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Before doing anything in the Donglin Forest, there are a few things I feel I should address:
  • The reason you're told to wear the Flying Squirrel Clothes while in the Kujara Ranch Summit is because you instantly freeze upon setting foot outside without them just as you would if you stayed idle in the lower half of the Ranch without them.
  • You may also want to both play Hide and Seek and get the dreg of the other Ice Anemone since the former gives a reward while the latter is tied to an optional side quest in Donglin Forest.

It would also be a good idea to go into studio.youtube.com under "Settings", "Channel" and "Advanced Settings" so you can pre-set that and not have to worry about reviewing it each time you upload a new video.