Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Infinity: Battlescape is a multiplayer space-combat game taking place across a massive, true-to-scale procedurally generated star system that is 100% seamless (no loading screens). Multiple corporate factions are fighting for control of a solar system in a war involving hundreds of players, potentially more than a thousand per-server ( without instancing ), that can last from hours to days. Coordinate with other players to destroy enemy infrastructure around strategic locations, referred to as Battlescape's, across a wide range of gorgeous environments including barren moons, gas giants, volcanic planets, asteroid rings, and more. (From Steam page)

The game launches early access on September 27th for 35$ (with a 5% discount).

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZpWUzJ3USA

What’s already there:
• fully Neutonian flight model
• massive scale online multiplayer
• decent bots to balance teams
• completely seamless true scale world (you even warp in the same instance)
• team vs team combat
• pilotable small ships (interceptor, bomber, corvette)
• giant loving capital ships (destroyer, cruiser, carrier)
• gigantic space station
• land bases
• space trucks you can shoot to hinder enemy economy
• scratch made sweet game engine (I-Novae)
• it’s very loving pretty

What is coming soon:
• custom ship load-outs and upgrades
• more weapon types
• in-game tools for team communication
• making current system map much fancier

What is to come a bit later:
• fleshing out economic aspect of the game (making hauler raiding harder but more rewarding and intricate)
• reintroducing ground scatter stuff to make planets prettier
• reintroducing oceans
• proper tutorial
• and more to come…

This, to me, is a game that feels truly unique in this genre, the sense of scale and movement of ships is really something magical. To be in a giant battle that organically evolves around you yet being able to influence it even in the smallest ship honestly loving owns.

Links:
Steam
Official Discord
Forums
Website

HOW TO PLAY GUIDE

The fleet:

Starter ship and the most nimble, can hunt interceptors, bombers and corvettes.
Secondary roles include scouting and mine clearing.
If you want intense dogfights this is your ship.

Fat and a bit cumbersome but packs a stack of missiles and torpedoes.
Has a special “shotgun” weapon that is very effective vs armor.
If you want to lob heavy ordinance and create really big explosions but don’t want a capital ship then you are a bomber player.

It’s role is that of support, be it fire, repair or rearming, has the ability to drop ships out of warp and prevent them from warping.
The smallest ship that gets turreted weapons.
If you want to play support, then this is a choice for you.

This is your introduction to the big guns. Has the biggest variety of weaponry and can take a lot of hits.
Destroyers role is to protect bigger ships from smaller ships, however get a group of these and you can lay down some serious destruction to stations and enemy fleets.
This one can drop nuclear mines.

The biggest stick. Cruisers dictate the battle by their sheer amount of firepower.
This is so far the only capital ship to have torpedoes(and LOADS of them too).

Home sweet home. Can act as a mobile spawn-point and has loads of regular missiles, however don’t get too brave as a cruiser will absolutely gut you.
Fly a carrier if you want people to yell at you for not letting them spawn.

Here’s all of these ships to scale:

To drive the point home, this is what the cruisers main guns do to an interceptor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctkrBkAsJ2I

Some history:
Way back in early 2000s Flavien Brebion started a blog where he enthusiastically proclaimed he’d be programing some procedural terrain generation stuff, as time went on it slowly became aparent that his work had potential to be a good engine to make a space sim in and so The Quest For Earth was born.
The Quest For Earth was a hobby project to build a massive galaxy spanning MMO. This project gathered a large community around itself and it was active for many years, however as you might know, making an MMO alone on your spare time is not really viable. The project made progress but it was slow and Flavien realized that going full MMO out the gate is just not really possible.
Keith Newton was developer at Epic game studios and had noticed Flavien’s project, he was interested in it and eventually reached out to him. Together they had a period of engine rewrites (those old planetary demos looked better than they functioned) to get the engine into a better shape and tried seeking investors but as you know selling a completely new and untested engine to companies is a tough task, it didn’t work out.
After going trough all that they decided that probably the best idea would be to make a smaller more focused game using the engine and fund it trough Kickstarter. They gathered a small team of people and went to work on a trailer that would launch the campaign.
In 2015 they launched the campaign which was successful and gave them a small budget to work on the game full time. Due to tighter budget the team reduced to 5 people, Flavien and Keith who are programmers with Kristian Ågrén, Jan van der Weg and Dan Hutchings who make up the art team(Hutchings is also the main community outreach guy who runs events and streams). They got to work and made steady progress that got us to where we are now, the early access launch.

More media:
Here's a good imgur gallery by Hutchings
And the thread where screenshots are regularly posted.

This is the first time I do this kind of an effort post so I hope I didn't gently caress it up. Thanks for reading.

TheCoach fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

More effort put into this game with a vastly smaller budget and team than Star Citizen.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

only 12 years after it was originally shown too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO7XhaTGDYg

I am excited for it though

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

I'm gonna give this a go because I'm a masochist for early access games.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I was one of those original kickstarter backers. It's taken a loooong time, but the videos I've seen show a very promising space combat game. And, more importantly, one that actually looks kind of fun.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

I said come in! posted:

More effort put into this game with a vastly smaller budget and team than Star Citizen.

fake news FUD this game will never have the FIDELITY of star citizen

(looking forward to this! Any news on control quality for m/kb vs hotas?)

e: also servers in oceanic?

found this

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 26, 2019

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

quote:

Q. What are your servers provisioning strategy ?

A. We’ll upgrade our current US-East server to a higher tier hardware level. In the mean time we’ll also open an Asian server ( most likely in Singapore ). When the US-East server will reach capacity, we’ll open a European server. When it reaches capacity, we’ll open another US server. Then another EU server, etc… This process will be repeated until needed.

Well rip no shooty mans for me

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thinking of actually picking this up

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Wow this Star Citizen knockoff looks fun! How many years have they been working on it and can I wear 4 jackets at once while hiding in storage boxes with lust on my mind?

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

queef anxiety posted:

Well rip no shooty mans for me

Excuse me, I'm not quite sure what place oceanic refers to...
All I can say is that I can play on US East server from Eastern Europe without any noticeable lag, so if they open up an Asian server in addition to the US East one that should cover most of the world really.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Wow this Star Citizen knockoff looks fun! How many years have they been working on it and can I wear 4 jackets at once while hiding in storage boxes with lust on my mind?

Engine itself, for a long time but mostly by a single dude with no funding in his spare time. This game has been in active dev with a team since 2015.
You will not be able to wear space jackets or poo poo in a space toiled in this game, I am very sorry for absence of such visionary features.

Also a heads up, after the EA launch, on Saturday and Sunday there's gonna be events and dev streams, all the info can be found here

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Generally referring to Australia/NZ. Singapore servers aren't a solution at all. We have one fiber tunnel running between continents and it frequently drops or gets severed from faults. Even in a best case scenario it's still worse than US servers most of the time due to the terrible routing.

Some games aren't so bad for latency but I'm not gonna buy a game with 300ms latency and no plans for local infrastructure. Maybe that'll change in a year or so!

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Can we get a channel set up in the SA Discord?

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
You'd have to contact whoever is responsible on there, I don't even know if I have joined it yet (a link would be nice)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I bought in off the website.

I didn't see a specific guide for this, maybe i missed it, but note if you do this it looks like you need to separately make an account on the inovae site using the same email and then link that account with steam.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

We have a channel up in the SA Discord for anyone who wants to shoot poo poo with chill goons

It’s under Bad Games Crew

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
9 Hours till launch, they're up to number 2 on steams upcoming list and discord is is packed full of new people. The launch should be quite a thing.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tythas posted:

only 12 years after it was originally shown too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO7XhaTGDYg

I am excited for it though

Oh hot drat I remember this, completely forgot about it in the end but I was so hyped. I'm glad something became of this.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Definitely following this game with interest... I wonder how many players it supports total in a battle?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Kimsemus posted:

Definitely following this game with interest... I wonder how many players it supports total in a battle?

Unknown, but they claim they can support hundreds of players on a server.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Per a post earlier, at this point they dont actually know. They haven't gotten enough actual people on during the tests to max it out, apparently. So early access is going to be the acid test and they'll lower their caps if they are too high.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 27, 2019

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'm still hyper-salty that Flavien nuked the original Infinity forums with no notice, with a decade of crowdsourced art and faction work on them (the original art concepts were fuckin' rad compared to these generic ships), shortly after Kieth joined and they decided to go corporate and build a flashier MMO sold to some big AAA publisher.

And then when that failed, they came back begging to that same community to fund this thing - trying to capitalize on the Star Citizen & Elite hype-trains which were full steam at the time.

And even then they failed to poo poo this out in a timely fashion.

Flavien is a dumbass and any hype Infinity had behind it dissipated years ago under a series of poor decisions. I expect this to be a hot mess which flops and has no active players within six months.

Rime fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 27, 2019

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
As long as it's a fun 6 months of hot mess does it really matter.

I watched a twitch stream for a while and it's at least capable of rendering a few dozen ships in a battle without issue, though I don't think they were all players. And there were several battle points in the system map.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Game is now! Pew pew.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Kylra posted:

Game is now! Pew pew.

Not according to steam :shakesfist:

edit - now it is

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
plays its and reports back asap i want to spend money

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Fun so far but badly in need of tutorial/guide.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Rime posted:

I'm still hyper-salty that Flavien nuked the original Infinity forums with no notice, with a decade of crowdsourced art and faction work on them (the original art concepts were fuckin' rad compared to these generic ships), shortly after Kieth joined and they decided to go corporate and build a flashier MMO sold to some big AAA publisher.

And then when that failed, they came back begging to that same community to fund this thing - trying to capitalize on the Star Citizen & Elite hype-trains which were full steam at the time.

And even then they failed to poo poo this out in a timely fashion.

Flavien is a dumbass and any hype Infinity had behind it dissipated years ago under a series of poor decisions. I expect this to be a hot mess which flops and has no active players within six months.

I dunno, we usually grow out of our highschool grudges...

Launch went super smooth so far, tons of people on and boy is it an experience.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Played with a bunch of goons on Discord. It was fun to figure things out. Near the end we became Cruiser Crew and just rolled around wrecking face. We turned a losing side into a winning side.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Yeah and this is going to get more intense a bit later. The launch happened when US was going to sleep and EU was going to work. Weekend stream event could get really crazy.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Sweet sweet victory. Although it's too easy to get a giant pile of credits and just pull out cruisers the whole time if you play a match for a bit, it was very fun.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Yeah economy is completely unbalanced right now, there simply weren't enough people to really push it and also you kinda want people to try all the ships as much as possible and give you feedback on the way they work.

Lots of changes coming on the economy end though.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I backed ages ago at the asteroid level,when/how do I get my Steam key? Any EU goons playing?

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

BurtLington posted:

Can we get a channel set up in the SA Discord?

Done. Bad Games Crew Assembled

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

jarlywarly posted:

I backed ages ago at the asteroid level,when/how do I get my Steam key? Any EU goons playing?

You need to link your steam account to your i-novae account https://www.inovaestudios.com/Account#/
Then the game should appear for you on steam.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

TheCoach posted:

You need to link your steam account to your i-novae account https://www.inovaestudios.com/Account#/
Then the game should appear for you on steam.

Done! Thanks!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Would love to play this, but with no Au/NZ server there is no point. Singapore is a horrible place to host a server.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Raged posted:

Would love to play this, but with no Au/NZ server there is no point. Singapore is a horrible place to host a server.

I actually suggest you get it trough steam to check because there's been several Australian players who have reported that they can play fine even on US East server (this game dos have some magic netcode afterall...)
If you see it's jank just refund.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How is this for solo play? Seems like it might get boring after a few hours.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Popete posted:

How is this for solo play? Seems like it might get boring after a few hours.

yeah so far solo experience is fine for a few hours but then gets old, however with the current player numbers you are never really alone and you can at least communicate with those simple "attack target", "need asistance", etc. inbuild voice commands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone playing with a hotas?