Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I was looking for a thread like this (or at least a BCS pre-season 5 thread) the other day, and was actually surprised that I couldn't find one. Thanks for making this :toot:

So.... who do you think is the one asking Jesse if he's 'ready'? And what is he ready for? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm trying to think what loose ends there are for him to chase up and I'm coming up blank. It's edited in a way to make it look like a revenge movie but that might just be marketing.

Yeah, Jesse's adversaries who are dead:

- Walt
- Jack and his nazi crew
- Lydia
- Declan and his guys
- Hank and Gomez
- Gus

So... like... is he going to take on the cartel? The DEA?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I just rewatched the last few episode of Breaking Bad and I don't think I can watch this. I really don't want to revisit the misery and horror that show left off with. Jesus Christ I think the one of the scenes in the trailer is a flashback of the nazis forcing him to bury Andrea.

Nope.

Like a new flashback? Holy gently caress, that would be cold.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

The Finer Arts > TV IV > El Camino: Better Call Paul

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Last Chance posted:

I think it was quite a bit more than that, but i can't remember for sure. Either way, the money's gonna be pretty difficult one to find unless Jesse finds a clue somewhere since anyone who knows where the money's at is dead.

Yeah, his life is certainly is going to be rough, but I have to imagine that things will look up for Jesse in the end and maybe he gets a bit more closure than we see at the end of BB. I want to believe that Gilligan and co have a good story to tell if they're bringing him back. I was skeptical about BCS for similar reasons, but they managed to give us a really good story we never even knew we needed.

For whatever it's worth, some site had an interview with Aaron Paul, who described how he just went silent for a long time when he first read the end of El Camino. He was just stunned after reading it, and had to take a while to process it all. That could just be clickbait-y info, probably is, but hey, if it's not... :toot:?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ego-bot posted:

Wasn't there one nazi who got up and ran away after the machine gun ran out of bullets?

No, that didn't happen.

The only nazis who survived the m60 were Jack and Todd, who were then killed by Walt and Jesse respectively.

Whenever I see both of those deaths, I'm reminded of how horrified Walt was when he killed Krazy 8 with the bike lock, and how Jesse was traumatized by having to shoot Gale. And now, their final kills in the show are the opposite of their first. Neat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This movie was like 3 episodes that they could have added during the original run, and it would've worked better.

Still done really well, but yeah, BCS has it beat, by leaps and bounds.

In fact, what might've worked better would have been Gene somehow finding out that Jesse made it to Alaska and was fine, but again, it's not like the movie wasn't entertaining.

I agree wholeheartedly with "great, but unnecessary".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Annabel Pee posted:

Was there a clue to the money being in the fridge? At first I thought it was going to be hid in the cans of soup.

He just hit his head against it and hear a delayed thump.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Maytag posted:

Unnecessary for you doesn't make it unnecessary for others. Cool, you didn't need more. Jesse deserved a little more closure than he got in the series, but cramming it into the show would have really lessened the terrible beauty of Walt's end.

Yeah, but this is how reviews work. People say what they thought of the thing, and "unnecessary but great" is valid, just as valid as you saying Jesse deserved an ending, other than driving off into the night.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm genuinely surprised that Jesse's love of wood working wasn't touched on. Sports medicine? That was out of nowhere. Ah well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

... Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon? I know Goon Face Blindness is a thing but :stare:

Do goons have this worse or something? I don't get it :psyduck: I mean, I once jokingly mentioned how Joe Lo Truglio, Thomas Lennon, and Jorma Taccone are probably the same guy, because I used to get them confused, but if they were all in the same thing, I'd be able to tell them apart.

Will Ferrell and Chad Smith, however... Those guys are twins.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_sSNY48feo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

There is one really subtle thing I noticed, a day after watching, involving the welders posing as cops.

When the red-haired guy called out to his partner, I originally thought that the partner drew his gun just because it was prudent because of the state of the apartment. I realized later, that the red-haired guy called out to his partner as "lieutenant" to intentionally alert him because there was no need to keep up the disguise if they were alone.

That's the kind of poo poo I loved about BB. The antagonists are just as smart as the protagonists.

I'm with you 100% and that's absolutely the proper read on this, but initially, when I was watching it and didn't know the FBI guys were bullshit, I picked up on the lieutenant line, thinking it was code to alert the other officer that poo poo is hosed. I had thought that maybe neither of them were that rank and using that was their code for 'I'm acting natural, but calling for genuine help at the same time'.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jesus, can you imagine Todd and Lydia actually being together?

Lydia: "How did you do, looking after my daughter today? Is she feeling better?"

Todd: "Well, she was, but then she asked me what I did for work, and you know I'm not supposed to talk about that, so I strangled her. Do you want some soup?"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I really appreciated the quick throwaway update on Lydia. Good riddance.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming BCS season that I'm assuming is going to develop Mike's hatred for Lydia. They're cordial now, but I rewatched Dead Freight and holy poo poo, he's got an itchy trigger finger for shooting her in the head.

Unless I'm misremembering and his hatred for her solely stems from her hiring hitmen to take him out?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

(The safety videos on the Better Call Saul DVDs are pretty much Mike constantly complaining about Lydia.)

I forgot about this, and love it all over again.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think that if Kandy had actually tortured Jesse, the whole dynamic would have been different. I honestly believe that Jesse didn't 100% expect to have to kill his way to that $1800, but was only prepared to. As it stood, Jesse was probably ok with letting them live if they had given him that relatively small amount of money, because while Kandy was instrumental in Jesse's captivity, he wasn't the actual one holding him there. He's still awful and obviously Jesse isn't bent out of shape over killing him and the other guy given the circumstances, but it all could've gone down without anyone dying but douchebag wanted to play cowboy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Couple of other subtle Todd's-not-a-real-boy moments that I liked in Breaking Bad:

- Todd recounts the train heist to his crew in great detail but leaves out the part where he shoots a kid in the head and says it went off without a hitch

- After Walt's murder machine gun device tears up his crew, his uncle, and his life essentially, all he can do is peek over the window and stare in wonder as he utters "Jesus! ... Mr. White!" Yes, he's still calling the guy who murdered everyone around him "Mr. White"

D'aww!!

Did he shoot Drew in the head? I always thought it was a chest shot. Doesn't really matter either way, of course.

Also, in the moments right after the M60 mows everyone down and everything is absolutely chaotic, I would never have bet on Todd of all people immediately putting together who was responsible for what. He's probably in the middle of putting the pieces together when Jesse chokes him.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

While normally I would say "it's an animal, it probably died." Apparently tarantulas can live for 10-20 years.

A modern tragedy for sure.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

It is sometimes jarring to remember that BB is the show that from season 3 on made every death feel weighty and important, while the first 2 seasons had bathtub goop and cholos getting stuffed under cars in junkyards for Hank to take selfies with. With which for Hank to take selfies.

This is totally an aside, but there is actually no problem with ending a sentence with a preposition. :eng101:

Take it from John Mcwhorter, who hosts the podcast, Lexicon Valley.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

This felt like it was a mandate from AMC/Sony/whoever in exchange for letting Gilligan finish Better Call Saul. What a waste of time.

I initially read this wrong and thought you were saying BCS was a waste of time. Boys oh boys, I was all set to... y'know... type out here that you.... you were wrong, so.... fair warning!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Last Chance posted:

that post is still pretty wrong though

Yes, but there's a scale, and the post is actually way less wrong than what I had thought it initially was.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Does it have a release date yet?

Not yet, no. It's very likely that it'll be around Feb 2020, though. Should be a trailer soon, I'm hoping.

And while I get that the tone and writing of BCS is different than BB, those two shows definitely share almost all of the production DNA, which makes sense. BCS and BB 'feel' like they're a part of the same universe, and to me that's a great thing. The whole team, give or take a few members, in front of and behind the camera are all still there, putting out the same high-quality stuff, in the same way. Any given scene and the way it's shot and edited from one show could be easily put into the other show, at least in terms of style (obviously you'd have to change out the actual characters).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ironic shitposts aside, I think the main argument is that the characters should probably hold off on mentioning age related stuff in the show, since all it does is draw attention to the actual aging of the actors. Just don't mention it and it'll go over better.