Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Between this and Gemstones, it’s been a tough week for characters played by that actor.

Anyway, the movie was very solid. Really captured a lot of what I loved about BB. Who cares if it’s necessary? What entertainment is?

Also Gilligan was clearly not prepared for chunky Jesse Plemons. I wouldn’t have thought about it if it weren’t for the recap thing at the beginning but lol. Reminds me of Arrested Development S4 when they would show scenes that were supposed to take place during S3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, Plemons put on a good deal of weight for Fargo season 2 and then just hasn't lost it. Like, I think I remember one interview where he even said he didn't see any real reason to lose it. I love that guy. Chunky Jesse Plemons is adorable and it made Todd even creepier IMO, cause at times I wanted to hug him, but holy poo poo that guy.

Yeah he got chubby for Fargo and then wound up engaged to his co-star Kirsten Dunst, so clearly she doesn’t mind. His only motivation to lose it would be for a role or personal image and I guess Gilligan didn’t care enough to make him slim down again.

Speaking of big boys, we never got to find out if Huell left that room.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
And comparing it to Weeds come on

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

freebooter posted:

It's at least 2012. In season 5 Jack mentions doing the prison job is harder than killing Bin Laden, who died May 2011. That doesn't mean it's 2011 but it does mean it isn't any earlier than that, and Walt's time in New Hampshire is clearly over winter. This also means that even though the show premiered in 2008 or whatever it was, it fictionally begins in at least 2010, since seasons 1-5a are a single year.

/nerdalert

That was just a fuckup by the writers.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Jesse Plemons looks 31 he’s just fat

Also my man got his start as the only normal looking person on a show full of hot people and now Kirsten Dunst is having his baby so cut him some slack!

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 15, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

freebooter posted:

How so? The pilot episode doesn't have a dateline of "Albuquerque, September 2008." Jack's reference to Bin Laden's death is the one and only reference point to an actual real timeline event that can pin the show down to anything.

Gilligan himself has said BCS starts in 2002, six years before meeting Walt. We know the show takes place over a two year span. Anachronisms happen.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

No Wave posted:

Jesse Plemons is 5'10? Why did BB make me think he's 6'4?

There’s a scene in Friday Night Lights where he towers over the team’s star defensive tackle which is just hilarious casting on their part. But he’s also paired up with Adrienne Palicki who’s like 6 feet and taller than him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Last Chance posted:

The anachronisms aren’t “fuckups.” When the actual show takes place is purposefully vague/indeterminate and like a lot of fiction: it doesn’t matter. You see years written in newspapers and other sources, but those are just props.

Nerds have a terrible time reconciling this. See also: the crazy poo poo that Harry Potter fans do to try and figure out how Harry Potter’s cousin got a PlayStation for Christmas when it wasn’t out til the year after!! Omg anachronism! Dumb.

Gilligan himself said it was an accident my guy. TV writers are imperfect, even on this show. This isn't loving Archer or Legion or whatever where they are trying to keep it out of time. It's just "the present" of when the show started and real life went faster than the plot. You are correct that it doesn't matter because if it did they probably would've cut that line, but they do make some conscious effort to keep it deliberately late 2000s.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Agreed. Plus, I personally wasn't that thrown by the weight difference, because I've gotten used to Plemons's new appearance. Yeah, it's kinda a funny continuity issue, but I don't think it actually detracts from anything in the least

I wouldn’t have thought about if not for the recap that plays before the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
AMC isn't going to dump one of their flagship franchises and their only current source of critical adoration