Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Stafford's good, he just has never been on a team that was able to put it all together at once. I say this as a Packers fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LabyaMynora posted:

Stafford's good, he just has never been on a team that was able to put it all together at once. I say this as a Packers fan.

He's like a less successful Phillip Rivers.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
"Whats your 40 time?"
"In seconds, sir?'
"Nope. In ounces."

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That article on Reid is really good. Belichick might have more rings but Andy's done more for the sport of football than anybody in the last 50 years.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

PostNouveau posted:

He's like a less successful Phillip Rivers.
When was Rivers ever successful?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leon Einstein posted:

Well, are we comparing him to Stafford here or not?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Leon Einstein posted:

He's No. 8 in passing yards all-time and No. 6 in passing TDs.

I was gonna say him and Stafford are about equal in that they both had good runs with meh teams, but then I remembered Rivers has gaudy stats.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Rivers also has the advantage of going to the playoffs more often than Stafford & in general has a front office that isn't run by Matt Mullen or his protégés.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Leon Einstein posted:

He's won playoff games.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

LabyaMynora posted:

He's won playoff games.
Fair point, but I would say neither of them have had much success. Rivers has played 5 years longer and entered his prime as the QB stats started really inflating.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

pasaluki posted:

"Whats your 40 time?"
"In seconds, sir?'
"Nope. In ounces."

I imagine this his interview process for linemen

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leon Einstein posted:

Fair point, but I would say neither of them have had much success. Rivers has played 5 years longer and entered his prime as the QB stats started really inflating.

Rivers much better in the regular season overall and somehow worse in the playoffs is my take without bothering to check any numbers.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Docjowles posted:

Has Blake Bortles been mentioned yet? Because I still cannot believe the Jags handed him that extension lmao. He’s a thousand times more fraudulent than Stafford.

:negative:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grittybeard posted:

Rivers much better in the regular season overall and somehow worse in the playoffs is my take without bothering to check any numbers.

Rivers is a qb who won't ever take you the SB without a shitload of help

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I can't wait for whatever team he's on now to play the Jags so we can rant and rave about :frogsiren: BORTLE COMBAT :frogsiren: for a day.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Randaconda posted:

Literally every qb is a qb who won’t take you to the super bowl without a shitload of help

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Strobe posted:

I can't wait for whatever team he's on now to play the Jags so we can rant and rave about :frogsiren: BORTLE COMBAT :frogsiren: for a day.

:hmmyes:

he's the backup for the Rams now and unfortunately they don't play this year

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Randaconda posted:

Maybe now but in his prime he would've been better than a few starting Superbowl QBs.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Maybe now but in his prime he would've been better than a few starting Superbowl QBs.

The evidence suggests that in his prime he couldn’t do it either.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Randaconda posted:

In his defense here is who played in the SB in his years starting:

Roethlisberger
Brady
Manning
Roethlisberger
Manning
Roethlisberger
Brady
Flacco (lol)
Manning
Brady
Manning
Brady
Brady
Brady

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
And Rivers would have been an improvement over that last Manning. God I'm so tired of Tom Brady.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

wandler20 posted:

In his defense here is who played in the SB in his years starting:

Roethlisberger
Brady
Manning
Roethlisberger
Manning
Roethlisberger
Brady
Flacco (lol)
Manning
Brady
Manning
Brady
Brady
Brady

2012 was wild

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Rivers, a lot like Marino, was really unlucky in his first few years when he was at his most powerful, then the teams around him failed.

Winning a superbowl is about building a strong enough roster, having good coaching, then getting lucky as hell in a few opportune moments and with injuries for the year. Rivers just hasn't had that break for him.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Kalli posted:

Rivers, a lot like Marino, was really unlucky in his first few years when he was at his most powerful, then the teams around him failed.

Winning a superbowl is about building a strong enough roster, having good coaching, then getting lucky as hell in a few opportune moments and with injuries for the year. Rivers just hasn't had that break for him.
Yeah, historically, Rivers is one of the few key pieces on that team who hasn't missed a ton of time due to injuries.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

God I'm so tired of Tom Brady.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Strobe posted:

Warbortle is my preferred permutation but thats good too.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Yeah, historically, Rivers is one of the few key pieces on that team who hasn't missed a ton of time due to injuries.

In full agreement that Rivers would probably have a ring if the Chargers didn't have a voodoo hex put upon them (but sadly not the owners)

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Brady may have unparalleled success in the NFL, but he's soooooo boring to watch.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad we've all come to an agreement that Phillip Rivers is a first-ballot Hall of Famer

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Some major disrespect for the GIF king Phil Rivers in here.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The gif where Rivers yells "NORV!" In exasperation is one of my favorites in all of sports

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

I'm glad we've all come to an agreement that Phillip Rivers is a first-ballot Hall of Famer

His vas deferens is definitely first ballot but I don't know about the rest.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

a man has died
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27753150/bill-bidwill-owner-nfl-arizona-cardinals-dies-age-88

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Some major disrespect for the GIF king Phil Rivers in here.

Rivers owns and people who say he isn't a hall of Famer really dont know what they are talking about

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

a neat cape posted:

Rivers owns and people who say he isn't a hall of Famer really dont know what they are talking about
Hall of Very Good maybe. You know Eli will get in before him. Not saying that's fair, but rings matter.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 2, 2019

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Manoueverable posted:

The gif where Rivers yells "NORV!" In exasperation is one of my favorites in all of sports

Mine is him looking up at his Lord and muttering “worst day ever” in the rain at Arrowhead

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leon Einstein posted:

Hall of Very Good maybe. You know Eli will get in before him. Not saying that's fair, but rings matter.

And Eli is a winner, unlike Phillip "No rings" Rivers.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

Of course Eli will get in before him. What does that have to do with anything.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Eli is also going to retire like three years earlier than Rivers so no poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Randaconda posted:

And Eli is a winner, unlike Phillip "No rings" Rivers.

That’s Ringless Rivers, thanks Febreeze.