Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Yeah, Eli is going to get in and the highlight reel is going to be 75% the two Super Bowls he was mostly above-average(except in his strength, throwing picks) outside of that.
Rivers should get in because he's better than Eli and arguably better than Big Ben, but he may not be first ballot because "LOL RINGZ". Eli will get in first because he'll be eligible first, unless he wants to bum around taking back-up jobs like Warren Moon. Big Ben will talk himself into playing at least one more season, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
1/3 of the QBs active in the league at ant point in time are gonna be HoFers , so let rivers in just like Eli, ben, Brees, Brady, Russ, mahomes , wentz , minshew and cam and whoever else I'm forgetting.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

The Hall of Everyone

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

every current starting QB is going into the hall other than maybe jameis

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Eli is going to have a very hard time getting into the Hall of Fame

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Eli deserves to get in the Hall of Fame solely due to Eli Face.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

DariusLikewise posted:

why do you believe that all time great quarter-back eli manning will be in difficulty

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
not sure there's any more boring conversation than this one. sorry guys i call like i see em

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Play posted:

not sure there's any more boring conversation than this one. sorry guys i call like i see em

Would u say it belongs in the hall of lame

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

sweet thursday posted:

Would u say it belongs in the hall of lame

ill leave the zingers to you

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

DariusLikewise posted:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

people will want to put eli in the hall because of his two super bowl wins and because it pays to keep new york happy

he was productive enough by volume that they will be able to justify this imo

that production was very inefficient of course, but this can be handwaved if it's a guy people want to see in there

basically, when his name comes up in 2020something you'll hear "50,000+ passing yards, 360 passing touchdowns" a lot more than you'll hear "60% completion percentage, never made all-pro, never was really anywhere close to being a top 5 guy in the league at any given time"

of course a lot of the current guys will be joining the 50,000 yards + 300 touchdowns club, but eli should have some time left before those numbers become pase

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Are there any QBs who have won 2 Super Bowls who are not in the Hall of Fame?

Pretty sure Eli would be first ballot just on the strength of beating the 18-1 Patriots, but the second Super Bowl really cements it.

Ben might not get in, because I have a feeling that as soon as he's no longer under the Steelers umbrella of protection, he's going to get his dumb rear end thrown in prison. If he can stay clean for 5 years, yeah, he's first ballot.

Rivers is not first ballot, but he'll get there eventually, probably with some fan/nerd campaign full of neckbeards who are like, "Well, actually PHILIP RIVERS had BLAH BLAH stat line and DID SOME THING hurr durr hurr durr durr, etc."

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

LabyaMynora posted:

Jim Plunkett.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Terrell Suggs will probably get in but I wonder if he'll be first ballot.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

LabyaMynora posted:

Pretty sure Eli would be first ballot just on the strength of beating the 18-1 Patriots, but the second Super Bowl really cements it.

Ben might not get in, because I have a feeling that as soon as he's no longer under the Steelers umbrella of protection, he's going to get his dumb rear end thrown in prison. If he can stay clean for 5 years, yeah, he's first ballot.

Rivers is not first ballot, but he'll get there eventually, probably with some fan/nerd campaign full of neckbeards who are like, "Well, actually PHILIP RIVERS had BLAH BLAH stat line and DID SOME THING hurr durr hurr durr durr, etc."

Jim Plunkett who has a career extremely close to Eli's and never received significant push for the Hall.

Ben was a much, much better quarterback throughout his career, at every stage then Eli.
Rivers was also much better, of course.

The biggest question with Eli is will their ever be a year where there aren't 5 way more deserving worthy of enshrinement. Like here's the guys from the 15 finalists who didn't get in this year, who does Eli belong over?

Isaac Bruce, WR -- 1994-2007 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 2008-09 San Francisco 49ers
Edgerrin James, RB -- 1999-2005 Indianapolis Colts, 2006-08 Arizona Cardinals, 2009 Seattle Seahawks
Steve Atwater, S -- 1989-1998 Denver Broncos, 1999 New York Jets
John Lynch, FS -- 1993-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2004-07 Denver Broncos
Tony Boselli, T -- 1995-2001 Jacksonville Jaguars, 2002 Houston Texans (injured reserve)
Steve Hutchinson, G --2001-05 Seattle Seahawks, 2006-2011 Minnesota Vikings, 2012 Tennessee Titans
Alan Faneca, G -- 1998-2007 Pittsburgh Steelers, 2008-09 New York Jets, 2010 Arizona Cardinals
Richard Seymour, DE/DT -- 2001-08 New England Patriots, 2009-2012 Oakland Raiders
Don Coryell, Coach -- 1973-77 St. Louis Cardinals, 1978-1986 San Diego Chargers
Tom Flores, Coach -- 1979-1987 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders, 1992-94 Seattle Seahawks

And the 10 semi-finalists that didn't make the cut are another who's who of all pros and SB winners:

Ronde Barber
LeRoy Butler
Torry Holt
Jimmy Johnson
Clay Matthews
Karl Mecklenburg
Sam Mills
Zach Thomas
Hines Ward
Darren Woodson

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Eli's in on the first ballot just because the NFL will have a boner for bringing back Peyton for the night and the ~*storyline*~ of "oh boy, THE MANNING BROTHERS, SQUEEEEEEE!!!"

Rod Hoofhearted fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 2, 2019

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Could Miami eat that cap hit for a 1+2? Hmmm

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Honestly the real question will be frank gore who was#2 in rushing once and never top 5 any other year but is gonna end up#3 all time

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Kalli posted:

Jim Plunkett who has a career extremely close to Eli's and never received significant push for the Hall.

Ben was a much, much better quarterback throughout his career, at every stage then Eli.
Rivers was also much better, of course.

The biggest question with Eli is will their ever be a year where there aren't 5 way more deserving worthy of enshrinement. Like here's the guys from the 15 finalists who didn't get in this year, who does Eli belong over?

Isaac Bruce, WR -- 1994-2007 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 2008-09 San Francisco 49ers
Edgerrin James, RB -- 1999-2005 Indianapolis Colts, 2006-08 Arizona Cardinals, 2009 Seattle Seahawks
Steve Atwater, S -- 1989-1998 Denver Broncos, 1999 New York Jets
John Lynch, FS -- 1993-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2004-07 Denver Broncos
Tony Boselli, T -- 1995-2001 Jacksonville Jaguars, 2002 Houston Texans (injured reserve)
Steve Hutchinson, G --2001-05 Seattle Seahawks, 2006-2011 Minnesota Vikings, 2012 Tennessee Titans
Alan Faneca, G -- 1998-2007 Pittsburgh Steelers, 2008-09 New York Jets, 2010 Arizona Cardinals
Richard Seymour, DE/DT -- 2001-08 New England Patriots, 2009-2012 Oakland Raiders
Don Coryell, Coach -- 1973-77 St. Louis Cardinals, 1978-1986 San Diego Chargers
Tom Flores, Coach -- 1979-1987 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders, 1992-94 Seattle Seahawks

And the 10 semi-finalists that didn't make the cut are another who's who of all pros and SB winners:

Ronde Barber
LeRoy Butler
Torry Holt
Jimmy Johnson
Clay Matthews
Karl Mecklenburg
Sam Mills
Zach Thomas
Hines Ward
Darren Woodson

Clay Matthews JR belongs in the Hall

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Flikken posted:

Clay Matthews JR belongs in the Hall

of lovely players!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

1/3 of the QBs active in the league at ant point in time are gonna be HoFers , so let rivers in just like Eli, ben, Brees, Brady, Russ, mahomes , wentz , minshew and cam and whoever else I'm forgetting.

pro bowl quarterback "mitch" trubisky

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

mastershakeman posted:

Rodgers is first ballot. Brees probably too.

Mahomes may be the GOAT when all is said and done.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe if Minshew* doesn't turn back into a pumpkin, the Jags can deal trade Big Dick Nick for something good.

*I fully expect him to flame out, sends the Jags can't have nice things

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

FizFashizzle posted:

of lovely players!

You know I'm talking about the one that has been retired for 20 years not his son right?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Oh noooo not hall of fame chat

I'd rather have some hall of fame chaat

Gonna have to track down a good Indian restaurant tomorrow

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Leon Einstein posted:

Rodgers is first ballot. Brees probably too.

Mahomes may be the GOAT when all is said and done.

I can't believe I forgot Rodgers

Also foles to bears who says no

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Flikken posted:

You know I'm talking about the one that has been retired for 20 years not his son right?

Nothing before 1998 counts

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

a neat cape posted:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

a neat cape posted:

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

a neat cape posted:

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Staff's had ups and downs, but I'd argue that in sum total he's been more than worth what the Lions have paid him. He's started every game since the beginning of the 2011 season (Good for 6th most consecutive starts of all active players), and has been a driving force behind what little success the Lions have had since he was drafted. He's not the best QB, but he's been consistently been in the top half of the league, is often top ten, and just two days ago nearly managed to outduel Pat Mahomes (And statistically had the better game). He's a good player and a great foundation to build a team around—and if anything, it's the fault of the Lions organization for failing to do so for so many years.

Yeah, exactly.

I'll repeat again: he's Jay Cutler for a more stockholm'd fanbase.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
New rule: The Hall of Fame is full. If you want someone new in, you have to vote someone old out.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

PostNouveau posted:

New rule: The Hall of Fame is full. If you want someone new in, you have to vote someone old out.

Tony Dungy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wandler20 posted:

Tony Dungy.

Lynn Swann.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Emmitt Smith

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Jerome Bettis' compiler rear end can go.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Y'all spell Terrell Davis oddly

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

get rid of poo poo like pete rozelle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Remove all Patriots and Steelers, and commissioners as well, and I’ll take my call off the air.