Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

It becomes an issue of incentive. If it's not a spot foul, you just interfere anytime you get burned past 15 yards and dare the ref to throw a flag. NFL DBs will interfere to save a TD for 15 yards with frequency.

It seems to work fine in college

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

nah posted:

It seems to work fine in college

College ball is a different game played at a different speed by significantly less talented, smaller, and slower players with completely different motivations.

You don't have bounty schemes running rampant in college locker rooms. You don't have the former seattle secondary who interfered on nearly every play because they knew refs would mostly swallow their whistles. There is ample evidence of bad actions in the NFL that isn't really present to the same extent in college ball.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mr. Nice! posted:

It becomes an issue of incentive. If it's not a spot foul, you just interfere anytime you get burned past 15 yards and dare the ref to throw a flag. NFL DBs will interfere to save a TD for 15 yards with frequency.

I guess this just doesn't bother me. If say, Richard Sherman is smart enough (and quick enough) to catch up with whoever beat him and whip out a rope and hog tie the man I'm ok with just saying that's a good play. It certainly didn't kill the drive since it's 15 + a first down.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

College ball is a different game played at a different speed by significantly less talented, smaller, and slower players with completely different motivations.

You don't have bounty schemes running rampant in college locker rooms. You don't have the former seattle secondary who interfered on nearly every play because they knew refs would mostly swallow their whistles. There is ample evidence of bad actions in the NFL that isn't really present to the same extent in college ball.

But ultimately the outcome isn't that different. Every DB would rather get the penalty if they're beat as long as it stops the touchdown.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Upgrade the really egregious "oh no I'm beat bad better deliberately break the rules for my team's benefit" DPI to an Unsportsmanlike Conduct. Because it is. Also would probably put a stop to it real fuckin fast if your best corner could get ejected for being burned real bad.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

LabyaMynora posted:

Because when the team we like does good, we get a rush of endorphins that we identify as "joy."

see, when you basically like every team you're really maximizing the good feels

I completely forgot there was a game last night and missed this one, that's gross and exactly the kind of thing lowering the helmet was made to stop. Should've been penalty and ejection, I hope there at least was a penalty?

Clearly helmet to helmet. I see almost no shoulder involved there, although a smart person would also ask even if it was the shoulder, would that really make it any better? Jones is wrapped up, which is what really makes this hit unnecessary and unconscionable.

Kalli posted:

I absolutely hate when the achievements by incredible world class talents fail due to the incompetence of some middle aged shlubs, so replay is good.

But the PI review is bad because it's just coaches fishing for D/OPI calls, it should be taken out of their hands and assigned to replay officials who apply a "you're loving blind" standard who call down and have blatant PI overturned.

The problem is that PI is relatively poorly defined, as in how much they'll let you get away with and what they won't. DBs have a right to try and hinder the receiver to some extent, but certain things are against the rules, but it's really quite murky when it comes to enforcement. Just like that call which is about the clearest example of DPI you could get, with a hand wrapped in jersey and then a jump and a head butt basically all before the ball arrives

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

nah posted:

But ultimately the outcome isn't that different. Every DB would rather get the penalty if they're beat as long as it stops the touchdown.

I don't get this, if they're in position to interfere, they're in position to play the ball / knock it out.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Strobe posted:

Upgrade the really egregious "oh no I'm beat bad better deliberately break the rules for my team's benefit" DPI to an Unsportsmanlike Conduct. Because it is. Also would probably put a stop to it real fuckin fast if your best corner could get ejected for being burned real bad.

I like that. Though I'm sure it would lead to a bunch of very controversial calls as well.

Bottomline, the NFL needs to let them play, what's next, they're gonna wear dresses, what is this, flag football, etc

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Losing my mind

https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/1177604851171237889?s=19

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

If PI gets upgraded into unsportsmanlike then what about jumping offsides every fifth play like michael bennett or building pick plays into your offense? If we're doing that maybe implement the NBA's foul counter and season-long technical foul counter.

I think I'd like to see PI fouls be 1/2 the yardage, replay the down, and some kind of clear path addition that awards touchdowns

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Strobe posted:

MORE judgement calls is not what we need here.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Gatts posted:

gently caress NFL football for being racist and housing violent criminals, hail Curling.

Is it that hard to stop watching if you hate it so much?

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 27, 2019

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Is it that hard to stop watching if you hate it so much?

Hes going to be shocked when he finds out how much dirty poo poo gets swept under the rug in pro curling.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Curling is hardcore. Just ask these Olympic gold medalists
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/drunk-curlers-kicked-out-of-red-deer-tournament-were-breaking-brooms-and-swearing-says-organizer

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Jared Allen and Marc Bulger are on a semi-pro curling team now and they've gotten swept in every tournament they've entered.

https://www.instagram.com/allprocurling/

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Gatts posted:

hail Curling.

:hmmyes:

I’d be down for having curling and football 100% swap places in society as we know it.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Gatts posted:

Packers chose to lose when they could have easily won with the run so gently caress them. gently caress the Iggles even harder, hope the whole team is suspended for trash headhunting violent garbage.

2 hospitalized, one probably has to eat from a straw, both teams started it, gently caress NFL football for being racist and housing violent criminals, hail Curling.

what kinda ppl u mean by violent criminals

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The Saints deserve to get their hearts ripped out in the playoffs every year for the next 20 years for inflicting this PI challenge garbage onto the league.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

That pic looks like two players in Madden clipping into each other.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Android Apocalypse posted:

Make it 20 yards then. That's like 2 1st downs. One yard line if in the red zone.

I just imagined if this was the rule and what would happen once they're at the one yard line. Endless interference penalties and replaying first down until time runs out.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ghosthorse posted:

I just imagined if this was the rule and what would happen once they're at the one yard line. Endless interference penalties and replaying first down until time runs out.

There's a patently unfair rule or something like that where the refs can award a touchdown in this type of situation.

You could theoretically do the same thing right now by committing encorachment on every play.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Pops Mgee posted:

The Saints deserve to get their hearts ripped out in the playoffs every year for the next 20 years for inflicting this PI challenge garbage onto the league.

Sure, sure, blame the victim...

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

ghosthorse posted:

... What's stopping a team from doing that now?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kalli posted:

... What's stopping a team from doing that now?

The fact that most teams will run the ball

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Intruder posted:

The fact that most teams will run the ball
a seahawks joke

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
the Packers run it in from under 5 yards? I loving doubt it

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Well, that's the end of this season for the Ravens.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Texans lose by 3 in a game where BOB gives away at least a FG with a ridiculous playcall that results in a long interception return leading into a TD drive. So a 10 point swing

Good job BOB

e: not to mention throwing away a timeout on a pure wish fulfillment challenge on a very obvious catch

Deshaun had his part to play too though. Overthrew two very easy TD passes and had zero pocket awareness all day

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 29, 2019

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

Well, that's the end of this season for the Ravens.

Great, see you next season, glad you’re done for 2019

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lmao at everyone who overreacted to a tnf loss

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Browns win. Yay.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Brown's bitch?

Lions legit?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I Never Doubted Marcus Mariota Was A God.

Also, Pees is making Kawalimus look bad by actually coaching a good defense, though that could just be that Dan Quinn needs to be fired.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

pmchem posted:

Great, see you next season, glad you’re done for 2019

There are still stories to watch.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Browns good at football this week.

1-1 so far on the hell stretch from games 3 to 9 this season.

If we can find a way to win at least 2 of out
49ers, Seahawks, Pats, Broncos, Bills I think we'll have a good shot at a winning record this season.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

every one sucks

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Bills blew a game they should have won, but at least it seems like they're for real.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

analysis: Ravens defense is Not Good

also I feel like the offense should be better than this

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

analysis: Ravens defense is Not Good

also I feel like the offense should be better than this

Pass blocking was miserable. You knew it was going to be bad on the first drive when that Bozeman guy I had never heard of just fell on his rear end. Felt like on so many plays they had a guy right in Lamar's face right away. Even if you can move around only so much you can do there.

Running game looked solid but Ingram's fumble was at an extremely bad time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
Offense garbo, Defense godlike (with a bit of help from Allen).

The Bills D is scary, and hopefully the Pats' patchwork O-line will improve with time.

And so glad Collins is back.