Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
(Cross-post from old thread since I am a senile methuselah:)

So our The Lost game is finally off to a good start..

We left the keepers during a large battle in the Hedge between several fae armies, having been subservient to 2-3 different ones. We were all taken in Hamelin, Germany, though we have lost different amounts of time (5-25 years). Now to my problem: The dim-witted Beast in the party brought a decapitated head with him out of the Hedge, for reasons that happened in the Prologue and he seems unable to explain.

The face has both Mask and Mien, appearing as a mouthless Manikin-ish head behind a mask of a jolly expo robot of some kind. My character was enslaved to a fae known as the Dollmaker, and helped him create and repair other Clockwork changelings like herself. The head communicates to her via telepathy that it needs a mouth, and in a fugue-like state she remembers what she did, and builds a mouth for the head. Narrowly making a clarity check, she runs to the toilet and vomits in terror.

Now fully verbal, it shouts that it's name is FERNANDO and that it was kidnapped by the Dollmaker out of Argentina. Berating the beast for shoving it in a bag and pleading for help getting it's body bag, an NPC older changeling caretaker keeping us safe shoots the suggestion down. We learn that the fae still sends hunters and spies to get escaped changelings back.

Clearly, we love Fernando and would like to keep him, but the prospect of returning to their keepers scare our characters shitless. While no one is prepared to just put him in a bag and chuck it in the Hedge or kill him, we can't have a keeper spy around. Problem is, we can hardly pledge him to be truthful, as the resources we'd have to offer him are staggering. In case he's guilty, he can just say "yeah, what are you gonna do about it" and use the massive traits we gave him to gently caress us up.

What would you do at this point?

I Am Just a Box posted:

If you really want to play paranoid hardball and not take a few risks on behalf of a clearly suffering fellow person, why would you have to give him staggering benefits in exchange for an oath of loyalty? He could certainly refuse to swear an oath that didn't offer him much benefit to swear, but you could also certainly refuse to keep lugging a head around in a bag, and the head's not going to have much it can do about that.

But seriously, be the change you want to be in the world. Take a few risks. Help Fernando.

While Fernando is entertaining, he also seems pitiable and genuinely terrified of his fate. We can't make ourselves get rid of him, so I guess we're getting him a body or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

he didn't force my character to do it. He just happened to request it in a mind-talk language of cogs and gears only I understoo.. holy poo poo :aaaaa:

I guess it's possible that he used contracts to coerce me. Both I as a player and my character are fresh to the world of changeling, but I guess there's nothing against it. I might ask the caretaker if he thinks this is more likely than other explanations.

Tias fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 1, 2019

Tias
May 25, 2008

joylessdivision posted:

Ah gotcha, I didn't read it super carefully.

Wrestling/WoD Mashup please.

There were as many as 5 active WoD fantasy wrestling federations active at one point in the 90s. My pander technical grappler became cruiserweight champion in one of them

:goonsay:

Tias
May 25, 2008

So, our ST sprung a true fae on us, murdering one character and releasing the rogue fetch we finally had our hands on. I'm kinda disappointed, but that's more because of other bad approaches by one of the STs recently.

Our characters have been out of Arcadia for, at best, a couple of weeks. Were we realistically expected to survive that encounter?

Loomer posted:

Nah, I'm too hairy. On a related note to the above, I just discovered the novel Olga Romanoff, which is both now in the public domain and, more importantly, has sixteen illustrations of skyships from 1897 that would be perfect for a single shot of Czar Vargo's Intervention that I can write up and include in the timeline download as a value add.

Can you put up the rest of these illustrations?

Tias
May 25, 2008

No worries, thanks for info!

Loomer posted:

Stealing someone else's blood for the purpose, however, is. Caine's crime is twofold - there is the shedding of blood first, and the refusal to acknowledge wrongdoing second. The nightly repetition of feeding symbolically reproduces both misdeeds in a way that capitalism, apt bloodsucking vampire metaphors aside, doesn't. Every act of feeding requires the physical violation of a body and the outpouring of blood (the murder, and in the case of the less satisfying vitae of animals, the sacrifice that God spurns), born out of a refusal to accept one's wrongdoing and face the consequences (the shamelessness).

In oWod, this lacking contrition is in fact the basis of the entire cainite heresy/path of Caine. Not only do the Cainites suggest that God was cool with trying to get Abraham to sacrifice his son, but also delighted in Cains sacrifice of the blood of his brother. This turns the premise of V:tM on its head, making vampirism a blessing and a reward from God.

Tias
May 25, 2008

1st ed.. But still dumb.

E: We'd spent 9 XP - and only had one brawl-specced character.

Tias
May 25, 2008

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I don't want to laugh, because that isn't funny, but, uh, no. That's not okay, even if it were some sort of ST fiat 'it gets tossed back into Arcadia due to Y' cutscene thing and not an actual direct conflict that also fucks up your efforts thus far (casually snatching up the Fetch you guys worked hard to snatch first).

They simply aren't supposed to be that commonplace on this side of the Hedge, Changeling society wouldn't, uh, exist, if they were.

The fetch we chased ran into the Hedge, and only one chase scene into the Hedge we met it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

It seems impossible that Vegas isnt an independent state held by the Gios. There could be a Cam "Prince" who doesn't actually control anything; the story is the cam trying to change that, but "Gios run Vegas" is pretty ironclad in my mind

Now I'm imagining a Vegas infested with resentful wraiths and risen.. #NotEvenMad

Tias
May 25, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, they're AEW fans.

Speaking as the player of a vampire who held several titles in the necropolis city wrestling federation, by writing strategies to refs who then STed fights against other player character wrestlers, well.. the crossover fanbase is clearly there, and that was all that was needed (in the nineties anyway).

E: there were 5 federations in all during the nineries and aughts, and we met and recruited primarily on the official WW boards.

Tias fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 5, 2019

Tias
May 25, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Swedracula insisted for V5 that vampires don't have souls and can't become wraiths.

It wasn't canon before that.

It was specifically possible in w:to. They had ads in V:tM supplements being all 'they staked you, murdered your ghouls, and now the sun is burning the last life from you. You know this is the end for you - but you're wrong'.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Unfortunately, the new Mummy manuscript is a mess.

I feel a little guilty for using this metaphor when I'm trying to give constructive criticism, but it's too good to avoid: it's like they heard that mummies in 2e experience their lives non-chronologically and decided to write the whole book that way. Concepts are constantly being discussed in detail before you have the necessary context for them to make any sense at all, and information is given to the reader in an apparently random order. I was honestly only able to make any sense of the book at all because I had read 1e.

I feel like the conceptual changes they've made are good? But the manuscript needs to go back to the shop for a serious rearrangement on the technical end. It's completely useless to introduce anybody to the game as it is.

You could have said this before I pledged :homebrew:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

1) ive never played a combat character in LARP bc I think cWoD is terrible at mass combat (and all combat ends up as mass combat) and i think id hate standing arpund for ten minutes to throw a chop

FWIW the longest running and best oWoD LARP here in Denmark (Rage Across Denmark) fractured because an impatient dicklord broke a girls finger waiting to do his combat action.

Tias
May 25, 2008

How much are V:TES cards going for these days? A good friend is in dire straits and has a bunch of unopened Berlin con 'Anthology' reprint bundles, are they worth real money?

Tias fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 7, 2020

Tias
May 25, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

It depends on a lot of different factors, but yeah, if he has sealed Berlin Anthologies they are bound to be worth something, as they were special limited editions to be sold only to the attendants of the Berlin European Championship, they were worth 20€ initially. Although it's true that all those cards have been reprinted in recent years and are available on retail, the Berling Anthology cards have different art, so that's worth more for collectionists. It also helps a ton if you live in the US, for some reason the market there is much more willing to pay more for fancy cardboard than us Europeans.

We live in Denmark, does that mean there's no legal option to sell them in the US? Or?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Friend asks: Would it make sense to hold onto the decks, then? They're sealed and don't take up a lot of space, after all.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I tapped into this thread from my pdf of Pentex Subsidiaries and wasn't sure if I was still tapped in. The amount of lovely backbiting and poor hiring choices in Vampire today is really depressing.

Are there any other cool WoD products coming I might get excited about?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Finally getting around to writing my Changeling 2ed campaign. Is there any good place (apart from here) to seek primers on faerie poo poo and ask questions?

Tias
May 25, 2008

No kidding. What were the subsidiaries?
O'Tolley Burgers giving you burgers from tortured cows with feces residue in? Normal FDA stuff
Good House ltd. carving down the worlds rainforest with no oversight from governments? Uh oh
Black Dog going into an investment scheme concocted by Magicians of the Bay which allowed third-party publishers to create their own Icosahedron games compatible with the latest edition of Labyrinths & Lamiae. One such company was Death Lord Games? OH NO

Tias
May 25, 2008

Picking up Changeling the Lost again, and, all hosed up from re-reading Sandman, I want to make dreams a central role. What are your opinions and experiences, if any, using the Dreamweaving rules? I play 2e but I suppose I'll look at 1e if it's better

Tias
May 25, 2008

Tias posted:

Picking up Changeling the Lost again, and, all hosed up from re-reading Sandman, I want to make dreams a central role. What are your opinions and experiences, if any, using the Dreamweaving rules? I play 2e but I suppose I'll look at 1e if it's better

I dove into my mates copy of C:TL 1st ed, and feel like I have bigger problems than dreamweaving now.

I haven't seen a supernatural being nerfed this hard between editions since Mage 2 and 3 :aaa: Changelings can barely beat each other up at this point, and both pledge law and contracts seem over-engineered and hard to use now.

Have any attempts been made to create a workable hybrid of the two? Or is it possible somehow to use some of 2E and some of 1E without revising the entire system? Halp!

Tias
May 25, 2008

It's super frustrating. Perhaps I'll just keep the combat/test system and play 1st ed apart from that.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I Am Just a Box posted:

I'm 100% with you on pledges. I don't think the 2e pledges are more complicated, considering the point-buy nature of putting a 1e pledge together compared to very little in the way of guidelines for custom pledges in 2e, but they're far more limited. Even if you interpret 1e pledges as overpowered and representing too large a proportion of changeling power, they overcompensated hard to the point of closing off a lot of easy story beats.

I'm not sure I agree on the contracts, though. They're spread out more, with Regalia being much broader than 1e Contract purviews (in exchange for individual effects being more accessible within them, being divided into "little contract" and "big contract" rather than having to climb each dot ladder of clauses), but there are plenty of powerful 2e contracts, and I remember Changeling being one of the less potent 1e beings outside of their pledgecraft. I do think they have some significant holes (the basic Ogre package of "big and strong" is not super accessible from the provided contracts; tying Ogres to Shield and Elementals to Sword in general kind of warps the contract provisions), but I don't see a major overall nerf.

In terms of complication, there's seeming benefits, but I like more of them than I don't, and they're not terribly complicated.

My specific gripe is that there's less direct boost to your attributes. Take Ogres, in 1E Strength of the Terrible Brute added to your strength for the turn, in 2E it only works when grappling someone.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I may have to go to Swedraculas birthday and our mutuals keep insisting he's a neat guy who didn't intentionally put wack poo poo in 5E.

Can someone cliffs notes me the controversy was about? I'd like more than hearsay.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

First I'd like to ask you, what are our options on curses here?

Idgi

Kurieg posted:

He also claimed that OG White wolf were "pussies" for not releasing a 9/11 plotbook in the aftermath. And that they should release a new "Gypsy's" Book (When pressed he agreed they'd probably need to call them Roma now). And that Female characters in historical games should be worse than male characters for the sake of historical accuracy.

Ooff

Tias
May 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

Is he also behind the weird transphobic poo poo they crammed into Changing Ways?

Elaborate?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks for the speedy and well rounded replies, guys. It's tonight and we're pregaming a bit, because, frankly I don't want to be a tool and start a pointed argument when my partner is just seeing all of her old good friends that happen to converge on this birthday, but also I can't not say anything at least to her.

Do we have sources for the following:

Kurieg posted:

He also claimed that OG White wolf were "pussies" for not releasing a 9/11 plotbook in the aftermath. And that they should release a new "Gypsy's" Book (When pressed he agreed they'd probably need to call them Roma now). And that Female characters in historical games should be worse than male characters for the sake of historical accuracy.

Ferrinus posted:

Something that still sticks in my memory about early V5 is that the Brujah clan compulsion used to straight up be "Triggered", but in precisely the sense of a reactionary comedian's Netflix special. It explicitly meant you were offended on moral or political grounds and had to get mouthy about it.

I think the werewolf stuff is a lot more damning( NOT saying anti-roma sentiment is cool, just that he can claim he recanted), but if he's as edgy as I suspect he'll just claim ignorance.

quote:

Oh I was implying you could curse him, but he's already cursed - he's Swedracula!

I don't think I'll be cursing anybody at this juncture, he's got enough on his plate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Unrelated, but it's sorta weird to go to someone's birthday with a plan to dig up all the dirt on them you can find, just to pick a fight with them.

Like yeah, he sucks, but also... so does that behavior?

It's kind of both, and I caught myself doing it mid-act. It's just that every time he comes up, my partner will mention how nice a guy he is and how many good LARPs they've done, and I'll be like "he destroyed my favorite game by being an edgy dicklord" and the thought of going into that circle of friends without arguments didn't appeal to me. That doesn't mean I should get into a huff and poo poo on some peoples party.

I didn't go, by the way. My general impression of the dude seems to be that his ambition got him into a situation he wasn't equipped to manage, and now he seems kind of sad. No sense in heaping anything on, really.