Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Gantolandon posted:

I don't understand this at all, because for me it was the worst TG-related disappointment during the last several years. I expected a game that will be Mage: the Ascension, but that actually could be played in 201x. Instead I got a rewrite of 2ed and Revised with the end of the world retconned and another faction of protagonists added. And it wasn't even consistent – you got a memo that some Traditions changed their names to better fit the new times, but the rest of the book would still refer to them as they were in the 90s.

a lot of owod grogs are just that--grogs like any other, but in goth makeup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Zombiejack posted:

I've been playing with the idea of retro-engineering the game to play as heroes, pretty much everything Beast offers has been done by every other wod game somewhere, wereas the chance to play Hercules, Arthur ,the forty seven ronin, Arjuna or even modern heroes like Batman in a wod context would be something more novel

didn't old hunter try to do this as an abandoned attempt to tie exalted in with wod

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

Wow, I really, really hate Zen Carthians. This might be a Bad Book.

is this the same carthian book with the messianic bloodline born of a perfect almost-golconda sire

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

that one really stood out to me as a "what the gently caress is the point? is this someone's home game plot? where is the drama in this premise?"

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

God, the objective God of Abraham that controls the oWoD out of spite is actually the 90s white wolf writers as a hivemind, the only reason that the 30yw isn't a great maelstrom is that god prevented it from being so, because god wasn't looking, BECAUSE the 30yw isn't readily accessible in US-american pop culture--whereas rome is retroactively (but actively, in non-linear time) made such because of god's hyperfocus on it as a romantic construct

someone run the meta-campaign of a journey through lore as it developed in terms of publication order rather than final historical order, as vampire characters retroactively become elders when you hit Dark Ages publication

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

The alien wod splat should be like the MIB movies where you're just losers or petty criminals on the outside of intergalactic society laying low on Earth for one reason or another.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

You can also read the god-machine as a 21st century version of skynet, now that we understand that The Algorithm can be cruel, violent, and bigoted not because it's self-aware, but just because the people writing it had ideological blind spots. It's that twitter neural network that people fed slurs into, but it runs reality now.

e: Or maybe the evolution simulator that was instructed to make something that jumps high, but instead evolved a sort of bipedal giraffe that broke its legs when it grew to full size, because there was no incentive for actually leaving the ground, only for reaching a certain height and falling a certain distance.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 20, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

this doesn't preclude the existence of first-rate anarchist dissidents, but freecouncil.jpg definitely establishes them as second-rate anything

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

vampire larp is the ideal form of vampire, cursed to wither under terrible organizations and attract the stinkiest of catpisses.

vampire as setting and tone, both old and new, are ideal for a BIG game with lots of players and lots of gms where the rube goldberg machines of an entire city scheming against each other have the chance to get tangled up in each other's gears.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

worm girl posted:

Good horror needs humor, and it's not like vampires wouldn't joke around or have dumb/embarrassing/wacky things happen to them like anyone else. What We Do in the Shadows is legit!

I'm guessing with LARPs people just get way too attached to their characters and then bleed kicks in because it's a game about social engineering and betrayal?

this is why the big national orgs are, paradoxically, stifling to the best parts of vampire larp despite being the main ways to get into vampire larp.

needing to maintain everything according to the national plot progress means most local games are pretty quiet and end up spinning their wheels on nothing plots between the conventions. having extremely long chronicles means that people get attached to their characters and invested in them, creating a hesitance to do fun things because you lose months of exp.

the ideal vampire larp is about a year long, maybe 1 or 2 sessions a month, with anywhere from 15-30 people, one GM per 4-5 players. by setting definite start and end points, people don't get too attached, and everyone can just have the same amount of exp at all times based on where the overall game is in the plot. because your plot is pretty much limited to one city, and has a fairly accelerated pace for a campaign, the GMs can go wild with the high-level lore nonsense and the players are encouraged to drive their characters like a stolen car because the fun is in finding out what happens, not in winning the long game.

with the national orgs, it takes a lot of bureaucracy and building trust in the system to play anything particularly weird, and you'll probably never be in a position to play your PC as a serious mover and shaker in the game's plot. with a limited-run, limited-scope larp, you can have people pitching to essentially play the bad guys or the causes of the plot, and it can work out so long as everyone is used to the idea that it's not about winning since there's not much at stake to win.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 9, 2022

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

i like the luck vampires because they were balanced by always pinging positive for diablerie, and that it was luck vampirism so that someone else would have to take the fall for your rerolls, which means they get blamed for everything from being in proximity to so many unfortunate accidents, investigated, then oh hey it turns out it's a soul-eater. just a very good implicit endless loop of a curse

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 7, 2022

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

see that's pretty plausible to me, but my circumstances are particular since i enjoy vampire most in larp form. with 15~30 players, any given person attracting sufficient heat will get run out of town, or staked, or what have you, because the individual factions and conspiracies are bumping up against each other. and in this case, it's not a GM invoking fiat to shut down a character out of frustration, it's other vampire players being schemey vampires. heck, in the larp context, even just having that extra weakness of the black aura is playing with fire even before you start your powers up, because someone is going to check you on that eventually.

i can see a problem player with this being much more of a problem in tabletop, but frankly that's just not on my radar by default

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 7, 2022

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

aren't there parts of the contagion chronicle seemingly written as if the author had no idea it isn't an owod book and so it starts talking about target numbers and botches

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Drinking With Nixon posted:

Sorry if I opened a can of worms with my first question, I missed reading WoD books and was trying to figure out what I've missed the last 15ish years. So if I am correct, Onyx Path is not involved with 5th edition at all correct? They are still producing CoD stuff and that's it?

in as much as cod content is still being produced, yes

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

absolutely wild how this works for chronicles just as well

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

wasn't there the thing with the monastery full of vampires all bound together in a circle and when one of them accidentally got set on fire the whole place collapsed in an orgy of violence

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

you turning werewolves into wereterriers is a great title

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

i think it's reasonable to hate the beckoning because it just makes everywhere that isn't the US an ambiguous Over There where stuff can be Happening but doesn't, like, matter. if all the elders are going to a big ol vampire throwdown in iraq or brazil or wherever it is today, shouldn't that be a notable thing? shouldn't the masquerade be fraying more actively?

what are players who want to play IN those areas, or who are from those areas, going to do? do they invert the beckoning so that all the middle eastern elders take flights to savannah georgia for the end of days

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Some of that might be chalked up to the biggest Woof artists (your Ron Spencer, your Steve Prescotts, etc.) didn't draw the most conventionally attractive people. They were fine - even great - for Werewolf, but they had a distinct look.

that's certainly putting it charitably

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

ZearothK posted:

It is genuinely impressive how the organization of WoD/OPP books has gotten worse with time. It is like the opposite of institutional experience.

i mean because it is, right? as wod's cultural relevance declined they got less and less full-time staff, so any potential for that experience went

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

the setting has to be divorced from the mechanics descended from stuff that looked like a good idea in the 90s. the only thing worth keeping is the practice of writing cool little discrete themed powersets

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

it's not a weird reversal for 5e at all, in that the original intent of 5e is to forget everything that happened after 1992 or so, and it only had to pull back a bit on that when they booted dracula. but all the people he hired that are still there are 100% committed to it

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

werewolf is one of the things, like vampire and demon, where i totally get not preferring one setting over the other, since they have such different approaches and ideas. vampire is even the same night-to-night game but the nature of the world is just so different.

changeling or mage though, lol. and i don't know if i can count wraith and geist as effectively editions of 'the same game' either

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

a lot of early 1e nwod feels like it's written to spite owod

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

Forsaken is really cool as a setting, but the 2E Spirit mechanics (and the werewolf powers mechanics, tbh) are so clunky that it will instantly kill your interest in actually running a game. They're cool characters to have in other CoD games though, its just a huge pain in the rear end if you actually go through and try to use their mechanics.

This is my stance on basically all of wod at this point. lots of great lore nuggets, setting ideas, and weird powers that should be put to use in a better system

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

i thought curseborne was a dndlike because they have resigned themselves to the state of rpgs as they are

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Fuzz posted:

It was this:

https://www.patreon.com/login?ru=%2Fposts%2Fracism-and-onyx-39912924%3Fimmediate_pledge_flow%3Dtrue

Which was pretty big news at the time as Khaldoun Khalil is pretty well known in the industry and won an Ennie recently for the Dune RPG book, which he wrote a sizeable chunk on (and wrote an entire article about how he was forced to de-Arab Dune, which you can read here: https://inkstickmedia.com/erasing-arabs-from-dune/ )

He's also Palestinian and the crux of the racism he dealt with at OPP specifically centered around his status as being Palestinian and Muslim, with a specific very loved white writer at OPP going so far as to tell him his culture was a sham and didn't exist.

So yeah, you'll excuse me if I never buy anything from OPP again since they've both failed to address the issue and from my dealings with that white writer on multiple Discords, he hasn't even denied the things he said and instead has chosen to take an aggressive stance that the minority guy is being overly sensitive and couldn't take a joke. :rolleyes:

that link demands i log in, is there a breakdown elsewhere?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

What do you think Brujah elders are?

holdovers from the times when investment bankers were also revolutionaries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Free Cog posted:

(this is the guy that wrote Genius: The Transgression if I'm not mistaken!)

this is an extremely damning track record