Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Shrecknet posted:

Someone talk me out of starting a nwod reqiuem LARP in Durham because i want to tell better stories

ask if you can be a narrator in the lovely game so you develop a reputation as someone whose game people will want to defect to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
hi friends, if any of you want some gribblies check out the #MonthOfMonsters hashtag on twitter. if any of you use the Higglety-Pig i want to know about it.

Mors Rattus posted:

I write for OPP, albeit only on Scion right now.

The process that got me in was sending in an email using the rules on their all-call blogpost, and then bugging the Scion dev to remind him to read it on time because Neall is stupid busy. Then I waited a while and after a bit I got asked if I wanted to do some writing for Demigod.

do they ever check their general submission inbox? i haven't heard back in about a year, is it worthwhile to resubmit some of my more recent work?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I'm still chuffed over that really fun "Anime Magical Girls but using Demon exploits" idea someone posted last thread. I'm tempted to invite my friends over on a weekend and do a full run-through of something like that. Like, start off with them as mortals encountering something freaky, they have a few brief adventures doing low-level crimefighting stuff, an Angel shows up and proceeds to turn them into lawn chairs as the demonic nature of their patron is revealed.

What makes this so interesting is my regular players know nothing about Demon, and I wouldn't explain any of this ahead of time.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Tuxedo Catfish your mer idea is loving badass and i appreciate you keeping us in the loop. You've inspired me to share a bit about the game I'm working on, the one where internet streaming celebrities are all pseudo-demagogues inspiring stochastic terrorism. Anyway the vague idea here is that supernatural PCs encounter a pack of these hunting while livestreaming to the internet. They're designed to be mortal antagonists faced in a group, in such a situation as to make fighting back nearly impossible.
As PCs the play mechanics focus on protecting your emotional connection to the rest of humanity, unlearning the psychological Levers that radicalized you in the first place, and rejoining mainstream society. There aren't supernatural powers for that, because Ire wants to propagate itself. Icons are just famous mortals who are trying to use their public following to make money. I think that's all the background you need to follow, but here's a bit on the supernatural abilities Ire grants:

Pursuits (Offense Mechanism?): Ire-based powers used in hunts. Characters start with 1 and gain a 2nd when their Ire surpasses the higher of their Composure/Resolve. Can train in a 3rd if instructed. These powers arise naturally from stressful situations related to the subject’s Levers, often manifesting without conscious thought or effort.
Pursuits can be actively unlearned, but high Ire situations may cause other Pursuits to manifest.
These powers are used in concert with skill/ability tests, generally. Social powers should work on communicating and normalizing Ire, int powers focus on target acquisition, physical are glass cannon style attacks. Avoid a 1=1 ire/damage situation, attack powers should be dirty and nasty.

Social:
Badger: Used during a conversation, spend ire to add dice to your pool. This acts as an Attack, where the subject must roll Wits + Resolve to avoid accruing wound penalties as though they had taken damage. When a character accrues an incapacitory number of wound penalties, they face a Breaking Point.
Teenage Riot: Drives crowd (size depends on spent Ire) into violent frenzy. Targets can be suggested but generally uncontrollable. Doesn’t award direct Ire points, but makes future recruitment easier.
Inspire Outrage: Single target, inflicts temporary Ire. Expires at the end of the scene, but target is more likely to naturally become Irate in the future.
Babble: Throw your conversation partner off your trail. Spend an Ire, subject rolls Composure + Resolve to follow the conversation.
Inspire Paranoia: Inflict a random, short term Lever

Physical: Ire should never be used directly for soak, these character are glass cannons.
Rage Strength: non-combat lifting & hauling. Spend an Ire for bonus STR dice.
Smite: Spend ire to attack again after dealing damage.
Suckerpunch: Pre-empt any action with an unarmed attack.
Bloodhound: Stalk target, 1 ire/hour.
Parkour: Spend Ire for bonus dice on Athletics and Survival checks related to running or parkour. PARKOUR!
Torture: naaaahhhh
Wrasslin’: Spend Ire to ignore difficulties of grappling multiple opponents, up to your Size rating (average 5.)
Berserker Spleen: Increases max Ire storage by Stamina rating. If any character has more than 10 Ire, they become unhinged, a ranting maniac who will not stop shouting until he feels the world has heard him. They do not suffer wound penalties until their Ire falls below 10.
Right in the Kidneys: Spend ire to reduce the penalty for a called shot (1=1, 2=3, 3=5 ire)

Intelligence:
Cyberstalk: reveals hidden/lost information, data not usually accessible on the WWW, including deleted blog posts, privately transmitted documents, in extreme instances cooperative groups were able to access text files stored on computers with no internet access.
Surveil: Spend Ire to access cameras. Ire cost increases with distance to the camera, and the tech at hand. Accessing a bank’s ATM camera with a smart phone is average difficulty, hijacking a prison’s panopticon three miles out with a batteryless Game Boy is possible, but the ire required is more than most humans can physically contain.
Gangstalk: create the sensation of being hunted or watched. Can coordinate with multiple Irate to increase the duration and severity of this sensation.
Discern: reveals a characters Justifications, Levers. Through conversation can reveal Justifications easily. When used on a supernatural, it reveals that the subject is unusual but not what or how.
Brigade: Attack a subject’s public perception by defaming them online, both directly and indirectly. Can coordinate with multiple Irate. More Ire spent, the wider reaching and longer lasting the attack becomes. Successes inflict temporary levels of Infamy, with corresponding social ramifications. Can also directly target Influence, Allies, and Contacts.
Flay: Increase severity of Levers, attack Justifications.

Meta:
Flop: As a full round action, focus on your wounds. Gain Ire equal to your wound penalties, all Irate nearby gain 1 Ire. Others must be able to see and hear your distress. While useful, this is often seen as an admission of weakness by other Irate.
You’re Not My Supervisor/You’re Not The Boss Of Me/ gently caress You Won’t Do What You Tell Me: Any attempt to supernaturally compel behavior results in #ire bashing damage.

Here's what these abilities are used for:
Cult-Clique activities:
- Sponsored Stream: This is the Irate at their apex, driven to a fury, roaming with their cameras, trying to fight their way famous. What makes a Sponsored Stream different from a usual stream is the blessing, if not the outright presence, of the Icon. Their rallying cry blesses the Stream with an abundance of Ire to be worked out on the first valid subject they see. The power of the Icon warps the images on the screen, any creature of the night is revealed to be an atrocious monster deserving destruction, but the software is imperfect. The prejudices of the Icon will occasionally present harmless mortals as threats in need of immediate destruction, and it is impossible for the Irate to discern just from sight alone.
For all their talk, most Sponsored Streams culminate in hurled words and tossed water bottles. The Irate fear pain as much as any mortal, and the possibility of attacking an innocent victim stay most of their hands in the likely event of a fight, relying on sheer numbers to limit their individual harm.
It is enough to be seen by the Icon as “doing something” even if all that is is being a public nuisance. But if their pride is challenged, they will fight as dirty as they possibly can, with as many people as they can muster.
To a vampire, or any other creature of the night, a pack of streaming Irate are just as dangerous as a trained Hunter pack, if only for the record their masquerade breach would leave. The Irate may claim not be sincere in the threat they pose, but their danger is real, and it will amplify if left unchequed.
At the beginning of the stream, the Icon rolls Manipulation + Expression, dividing the number of successes over the length of the broadcast. Each hour, all listening Cult members receive that many Ire as a free action. As a Willpower action, the Icon can inspire Ire in one specific target, again by rolling Manipulation + Expression.
This can be performed as many times as the Icon has dots in Expression, per stream.
Some Icons choose to call these streams “Purges.”
- Doxxing: Being creatures of the internet, the Irate excel at discovering not just personal information, but extremely personal information. Some Pursuits allow for the access of deleted, lost, or offline files, and these incriminating details are collected and shared the moment someone crosses the clique. Many seek to impress their Icon by being the first to Dox critics of the Icon, or silence opposition in their own numbers by shaming upstarts.
To access information that would otherwise be impossible or inaccessible, such as a file stored on a disconnected server, the group requires one Irate with the Dox Pursuit per level of impossibility. For example, accessing a file on a unpowered storage drive (1) in a basement with no Internet connection (2) requires two Irate, both with the Dox Pursuit, to be actively involved in the effort.
Participants can fabricate evidence, either through the skills Computer or Forgery.
- Pool Party: A pool party is an excuse for radicals to lure the unwitting into a relaxed setting for the purposes of indoctrination. Pioneered by extremist white national websites, pool parties served as a proto-rabbit hole before self-radicalization became the norm.
Usually, pool parties draw on the new membership of affiliated interest groups who may not be aware of the sinister intention behind the gathering. The aforementioned white nationalists would often recruit from more mainstream conservative circles, and still today those provide a bounty of new Irate.
At these parties, converting new followers to the Icon becomes the main priority. Their videos will be playing in the background, books lent out with enthusiasm, and all conversation eventually steers back to the Icon, and the solutions they would propose.
Pool parties are most frequent in the run-up to real world Icon appearances, which serve as opportunities for followers to mass indoctrinate their gullible real-world friends and family. The Icons often serve to help drum up attendance for these parties, as they are a rich source of Grift.
- Debate: Debating the Irate is less an exercise in the exchange of ideas and more a survival gauntlet of personal attacks and logical fallacies. Ideologies are used like weapons, with the goal being to shut down the opponent by destroying their character. Icons are careful to choose only the loudest, most reactionary examples of the groups they despise to present the most slanted view on the subject possible, reinforcing the prejudice of his viewership.
The Icon knows the game, make the audience feel powerful by beating the stuffing out of the straw man. Tell them this stranger is the root of all their suffering, and tear it up. Feed their injured pride a sacrifice and watch them make you a king.
- Deplatform: A coordinated bombardment of automated flag & complaint systems on social media, resulting in the suspension or outright deletion of a targeted account. Often used in intra-Icon conflict, where competing assholes attempt to neutralize each other’s Grift and Reach.
- Pranks: Generally a form of performative assault, pranks are usually visited upon newer, lower-ranked clique members as a form of hazing and expression of privilege. Surprise assault is a common theme (“Watch me slap my roommate while he’s in the shower!”) given it’s ease an accessibility. Destroying property just to catch the victims dismayed reaction is another favorite, along with disturbing the contents of the victim’s room (“We wrapped our roommate’s stuff in TINFOIL and made him LIVE IN IT! EPIC PRANK TUBE!”).
Pranks are an easy way for Irate to establish Reach, especially for those less inclined to political debate.
- Broadcast: Separate from a Debate only by the number of participants, a Broadcast is a group conversation of Icons and notable Irate. Jokes, barbs, and witticisms are the order of the day, while the subject can meander from pop culture to sports arguments without much in the way of structure.
Broadcasts are a way for Icons to speak directly to their followers, as well as providing another avenue to pitch their Hustles. Many choose to incorporate elements of social media, allowing their followers to petition them directly for advice and insight.
- Rant: A way to blow off ire and boost group solidarity, a Rant is a chance to work off pent up aggression. Spend ire for a chance to roll to regain willpower, Each participant takes a Bashing damage at the end. If a character would take sufficient Bashing to incapacitate them, each additional point amplifies or becomes a new Lever.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 8, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
clan gangrel now renamed The Macho Savages, offending no one and attracting absolutely no controversy.

their clan weakness is now called AAAAAAWWWOOOOOOOOHHHHH YEAH!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
yeah how the gently caress can you muck up UNDEAD BLOOD-WARRIORS RAGING AGAINST THE CORPSES OF GOD'S CHILDREN. oh by being boring edgelord dipshits who don't understand rebellion as anything other than one-dimensional antisocial shock humor.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Shrecknet posted:

Once again, someone typed all those words when reqiuem completely obviates their necessity

Also, open call for horrorscopes time!

Tremere: The House of Tin will melt when Mars draws ascendant. Are you Fortified?

Setites: Tongues smell better when they're forked.

Giovanni: You get no grain if you do not pay the Millner.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

To be fair, these examples are either bloodline-specific disciplines, or Thaum/Necromancy, which has always just been more powerful than other gribbly powers. Either way, difficult for most to get their hands on generally speaking.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Mulva posted:

Because it's made difficult. It's not like it's objectively hard to learn blood magic. Like 9 different Clans and bloodlines have their own version of it. Same for necromancy, there are like 5 different versions of it. And because there are so many clans that know so many versions of these things, it's as hard as you want it to be. The Giovanni might not be willing to teach you the Corpse in the Monster. What about the Harbingers? The Samedi? The Maeghar? The Tremere aren't willing to hand out magic....what about literally every ancient culture that used Dur-An-Ki? Are they all going to ride your rear end as hard?

Is this easy? No, in practice it'd take you years and years and years to jump through all the hoops and learn all the things required. The end result is all your flaws are mitigated. And if you do it, just you, once, you can make it easy for everyone that comes after. You could just...teach them. No hoops, no favors, no dire pacts, no years of study to track you down. You could just do it, and it'd be done. And everyone you taught could do the same thing, and on and on and on, and there would never be a single problem with being a vampire ever again.

I think the conversation here will break down along two main points, that discipline powers both occupy "things i want my character to do" and "things that would make an interesting story." Flaw suppression is big in power fantasies, but also represent fairly large turning points and dramatic twists. it'd make sense it would be a well that gets revisited by multiple parties, it's a fairly simple twist.

But, from a story perspective? If a character manages to leap through those hoops, and dedicates themselves to working with enough disparate bloodlines and fringe groups as to have recovered the ability to be Almost Human? That's a fine payoff. It took a century of study and you're indebted to all kinds of utterly untrustworthy powers, but in exchange you can fake being alive slightly better than you used to. I don't see that as overpowered.

Meanwhile, everyone embraced around the same time as you has built up an undead empire and can use telepathy to send their army of supersoldiers to knock down your door and douse you with kerosene.

Do you want your character to be Better Than Just Undead? Sure. Do you want that MORE than hurling fire or turning your blood into BEES?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Yeah I'm confused what Mulva's point is. That the game is heavy with ridiculous niche powers? That the supernatural abilities tinker with the fundamental assumptions of the world?

That the metaplot is dictated and not arising naturally out of a platonic ideal where everyone has perfect information? That seems kind of obvious, so I wonder what I' missing.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Houdini is a mortal who keeps injecting himself with Tremere blood in order to perform Feats of Magick when required.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Mulva posted:

That a vampire society that focused on teaching people how to deal with their condition rather than be total assholes in a feudal death match with existence would be very, very different indeed.

Yeah it's called the Ordo Dracul. Imagine how different the real world would be if we weren't assholes in a feudal death match for existence. THAT'S something worth spilling ink on.

In D&D.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Shrecknet posted:

this is basically how we got gargoyles (the bloodline)

Yeah either play a Gargoyle or take the "Started as a Ghoul" merit, get as many dots in the phys disciplines as you can, then take the paths and rituals that would let you set your fists on fire and do hella Flaming Fire Fist Punches per round.
(IIRC- Flesh Of Fire deals 1 ag any time anyone touches your body defensively, and there's nothing saying you can't cast Burning Blade on a sharpened pair of brass knuckles. Go hog wild buddy, it's a great friggin combo. Do recommend.)

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
you could also release a free cursory guide (iirc you posted some interesting images in past threads) and charge for a more complete reference doc.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I told my friend about the Magic Girl idea for Demon The Whateverthelatestversionis and they've found a group at their local game shop looking for an ST and they're going to run it without revealing the Demon aspect to it just yet so I'll let y'all know what happens if they get it going.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Dawgstar posted:

Huh. WoD canon-wise, that kinda makes sense.

how

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
My Vegas idea was a Tremere Revenant masquerading as a Giovanni Ghoul, who uses the blood they're fed as a sympathetic connection for subtle blood magic influences on the ruling Giovanni. I don't know off the top of my head but if there's no "Ritual for doing Presence on someone through a point of their captured blood" someone done hosed up.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I was reading the Changeling the Dreaming core last night and I have an important question: what's the point of a game of changeling

Being Special.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Octavo posted:

She wrote a really great followup that shows just how her team managed to make the best Disciplines in Vampire. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/280672/BLOODY-DOTS-The-Writers-Guide-to-Disciplines

Hey FYI both these books are on Halloween Sale, I'm buying them, were there any others released?

edit- aside from the bibles from the guide to rome and the strix, anything from mage or demon? I'm looking through the site.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

HerraS posted:

Well how do you feel about the idea of one vampire clan's signature power not being a vampire power at all but a virus from space? What about vampires with time travel?

that's no less stupid than anything else in the series. "hi my dad hates god so much i got cused with Lethal Ugly."

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
It's no more inconsistent than "The Tremere" so I don't understand why you're rehashing a grudge against a book from 20 years ago.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

HerraS posted:

The books premise was so out of place and got such a backlash that White Wolf went out of their way to say that everything in it was bullshit and wrong, so the people writing the game apparently disagreed with you

:rolleyes:

I've got zero problems disagreeing with nerd rapists and their enablers.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
"what if vampires but The Thing" is unacceptable, however, "what if vampires but Voodoo," "what if vampires but Sex Pistols," "what if vampires but EgyptEgyptEgypt?" A-OK. PS all vampires are descendants from Caine except the ones who aren't. But even then, Maybe.

Old World Of Darkness is a LARP where everyone is dressed like Neo hiding behind curtains just muttering "vlah!" over and over.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

LatwPIAT posted:

There's a significant difference between saying "OK we're adding a new obscure bloodline of vampires-but-Voodoo that you can play if you want to" and "you know those vampires you were already playing? Yeah they're all the Thing and you're hosed, sucks to be you".

No, there's no difference. You can't say "this splat book is optional but THIS OTHER SPLAT BOOK, which I despise, is NOT optional." It's all optional. There's literally no difference between any of the ideas presented in any splats, they are all optional.

Some of the ideas you like, some of the ideas you don't like. That's the difference. Everything after that is nothing more than justifying why your opinion is objectively correct.

You write the game yourself. You decide what ideas you use or not. The Assaku aren't real and can't hurt you. You can dislike the idea if you want but let's not pretend it's some dark stain on an otherwise unimpeachable product line.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Jerik posted:

Er... what? That's a complete non sequitur. You're attacking an argument that absolutely nobody was making.

I've never read Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand; I have no opinion on its quality, and I'm only going by what's been said here in this thread by you and others; but... I don't see how you're actually addressing what LatwPIAT and Zereth posted. The issue raised was that if you accept what was in the books, one introduces a new weird type of vampire and hence has no effect on established characters, while the other significantly retcons an existing group of vampires that PCs might already belong to. That's certainly a significant difference, and to say there's no difference because they're both optional is either spectacularly missing the point or being deliberately obtuse.

It's a game you write yourself. All of the books are optional, that means they're all equally weightless. Not every bit of metaplot makes it into every game, meaning the Assaku are only relevant in games where they're used. If they aren't used, then they don't actually retcon anything. If they're used, then it's not a retcon, it's just the plot.

Metaplot has never been gospel, y'all. nobody is being forced to use new ideas.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Jerik posted:

So your response is to double down and repeat the same completely irrelevant argument. Okay. I mean, nobody is saying that you're forced to use metaplot. I'm not sure why you keep repeating that. I'm pretty sure nobody disagrees with that, but it has nothing to do with anything. That doesn't mean that a particular bit of metaplot can't be bad or ill-advised, unless you want to argue that there's no such thing as a bad RPG supplement because they're all optional, which... seems like a rather unproductive stance to take.

Not liking the book is fine but people dislike it to an extent which suggests they feel somehow threatened by it, which is absurd. It's also the only good suppliment OWOD had, so people who dislike it are actually objectively wrong. I know I said liking RPGs is all subjective before, but that's only for people who aren't me.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Joe Slowboat posted:

Maybe make an argument as to why it's good, then? Rather than just assert 'it's good and the wide popular dislike of it is a sign that you're all terrified sheep.'

In my subjective, nonbinding opinion, it's good because it presents a new zeitgeist of play for overpowered characters. It gives depth and texture to an existing clan without stepping on anyone elses' gimmick. I, personally, find it interesting. there's plenty in the OWOD i don't find interesting, which has zero impact on my stories, which somehow I don't reguard as being an embarrassing apostate, veritably an insult to the game itself. that's because i'm actually morally superior to the people who disagree with me, because of my more refined taste in pretend vampire bloodmagick books.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
also wraith isn't a suppliment it's its own gameline.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
the point is that suppliments bad, gameline good. gamelines introduce new ideas and modes of play. suppliments introduce new ideas and modes of play, so obviously they're bad.

edit: here, let me explain further
werewolf vampire: good
bloodmage vampire: good
sad art gently caress vampire: good
necrophile godfather vampire: good
cronenberg vampire: NOOOOOOOO
ninja vampire: good
other ninja vampire: good
kindred of the east: good (new gameline)

i feel like i've explained myself fully, so i'm going to drop this now. people who disagree with me, please be wrong in silence.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Aristocrat vampires: good
Anarchist vampires: good
Evil for Evil's Sake Vampires: good
Lilith vampires: good
predatory space parasite vampire that actually does something ideologically novel with the archetype: NNOOOOO, JAIL FOR MOTHER, JAIL FOR ONE THOUSAND YEARS
Roman vampires: good
Riot grrl vampires: good
Whatever the Niktuku Are: Good

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

ulmont posted:

Part of the problem with this was that it wasn’t actually ideologically novel, it just ripped off the then-current Necroscope series.

Right, being a ripoff and derivative is how you know it's an Official White Wolf Product (TM.)

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Dresden Files is, i think, the only fantasy series in history that setup a sex scene with a hot big boobed 18 year old with pierced nips and then immediately dump a jug of cold water on it, so props for that.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

GimpInBlack posted:

The Dresden Files books are... problematic to say the least (the fact that the scene in question ends with "nope, not having sex" really doesn't make up for how lecherous the lead-up is, and in general the series is pretty lousy with regard to its female characters. And the less said about the non-white members of the high council of wizards the better). I read them back when I was much younger and stupider, and even I noped out pretty hard when Harry became the Winter Knight, which brought out the "darkest aspects of his personality" which mainly turned out to be him constantly thinking about how easy it would be to rape the women around him.

(And while it's not nearly on the same level, the term "the Nevernever" for the realm wot monsters come from is just incredibly dumb.)

Fortunately, like I said, there's enough kitchen-sink urban fantasy stuff in the RPG to kitbash into something else. Or just, y'know, not be a huge creepo if you do use the Dresden Files setting.

tbf i gave up after getting to the fifth book and somehow managing to read it twice without realizing i had just finished reading it. does the game have mechanics for how beat down Harry always managed to get by about the halfway point? because that got repetitive.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Evangelical radio reeeeaaaaallly wants people to get into the Doctrine of Election and it's fuuuuuuucked up. the worst part of Calvinism and we're bringing it back to stop the goddamn libruls.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Dresden is a Ventrue and his feeding restriction is he can only huff his own farts.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Are they looking for freelancers for the Mummy line? Should I pull together a demo idea to pitch them?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
gently caress everyone's poo poo up by hiring the best TTRPG devs from Asia to put together a game focusing on how undeath is represented in various and sundry Asian cultures (INCLUDING southeast Asia, the most neglected of the Asias) and shoehorn it into the world of darkness.

that's the pro move. that's how you make a product not even the twitter mobs can hate you for.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
If you get your jeong to maximum you can appreciate the totality of all relationships, even the frusturating ones with dullards. If the rulers ever get pushy the seonbi write an Upwards Appeal and tie it to the handle of an axe for delivery.

edit- also they let foreigners in if they can correctly spell tteobokki on the first try.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

GimpInBlack posted:

The intention with Mummy was that you'd play it Ars Magica troupe-style, with one player playing their mummy for a story while the other PCs play as their cult, then rotating in a different Mummy PC/cult for the next story, with the "all Mummy" stories being pretty rare, probably chronicle-capping events. Sadly that, like a lot of what the game was really about, got largely buried in 1e; hopefully 2e will be more explicit.

I'm gonna spitball on this for a minute. What if everyone played mummies, just slightly less OP versions, and the game progresses backwards from your most modern (and lowest powered) resurrection as you slowly remember who you are and what cabal created you for what purpose.

So, you and your buddies are in a museum which is getting robbed by ISIS or some poo poo. You fight them off and protect the museum, and once it's safe you have a flashback to the LAST time you protected this museum from the Kaiser or some poo poo, and in that flashback you encounter some relics from your burial, which sends you back FURTHER to when you failed to protect your city from invading hordes, and finally it culminates in the ritual of your creation, as you meet your cultists and have good ole fun times till, for whatever reason, you're sent to sleep.

End story arc! No moral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this sounds rad

and not just because it gave me the opportunity to go "lol you just described Mummento"

i- . . . oh my god, that's exactly it.

I Am Just a Box posted:

It sounds like MTC 2e is equipped to do this part fine, actually, assuming the Storytelling chapter actually has practical advice on how to structure passage through nonlinear time. Your fresh-from-chargen traits represent your first experienced Descent from your perspective as a mummy, which may be completely detached from where it falls in actual world chronology.

This is the part that MTC 2e seriously needs good Storytelling advice to be able to cover that MTC 1e didn't have. (It had a brief, in my opinion inadequate, attempt in the corebook's Storytelling chapter, which was barely ever brought up elsewhere.) That, or some mechanic to synchronize a mummy team's Descent and death-cycle together, which I'm honestly very surprised wasn't already core. If they do put something like that in 2e, well, that would help a lot.

The problem with a team of mummies isn't that they're too powerful to run a gang of. Mage is right over there, after all. It's that the thematic oomph of being a mummy is about dying, lying dead, and then returning from death. You'd have the same problem in Vampire if there were a huge emphasis on falling into torpor: telling that story is a hassle when everybody's death clocks aren't on the same timer.

Maybe the mummy acts as a megazord, the players are tasked with maintaining the support cult over the aeons and occasionally summoning the Mummy when situations grow dire. Game cycle focuses on maintaining your group sanctum, making sure you've got whatever ungents and sarganthums, occasionally mudhole-stomping some mystery-hungry Mages sniffing around the edges of your library. Then poo poo gets real, you overcome the challenge inherent in summoning the Mummy, the mummy is unleashed, poo poo gets resolved, you re-sleep the mummy, then it's a leap in time to the next epoch.
I think a game like that would work chronologically, because you'd get to see the impacts your mortal characters had on the organization itself, because someone played an abacus-wielding bean counter the party was able to afford to keep its sanctum unchanged over the next hundred-odd years. Someone played a thief and stole a bunch of canoptic jars from a different mummy cult, so they collapsed in the interim years.

I guess you could also have the role of Mummy rotate between players, from adventure to adventure.