Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Dreaming 20th Anniversary's writers made heroic efforts to turn the gameline around, and honestly succeeded incredibly well. They came up with a take on Banality that's useful (basically, anything that makes you too tired to have fun is banal), reworked the Unseelie Court so that it has a philosophy beyond just being a murderous lunatic, and came up with a system for hsien magic that actually works. On top of all that, the Arts and Realms were reworked into a magic system for Kithain that's good, actually powerful, and makes every Art and Realm worth buying or combining. (I think changelings are now one of the most powerful splats instead of definitely the weakest.)

Unfortunately, Matt McFarland is a very bad developer as well as a rapist, and the book isn't consistent about any of this stuff. The Unseelie have a reasonable philosophy in their discussion section, but all the Unseelie legacies are only fit for murderous lunatics because they're unchanged from the last edition. Some sections still occasionally refer to science as banal because writers who didn't read any of the discussions on the topic didn't get their drafts edited. The king and queen are waiting for a sidhe baby to be born and settle the succession, which is not actually a thing that happens.

Also the Gallain got squeezed into such a tiny section that there's no room to explain what purpose they serve in the game or why you would play one. Honestly, they never actually had a purpose, and they probably should have gotten a full book of their own instead of being crushed into such a tiny space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Child satyrs were never horny.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Shrecknet posted:

It still cant be worse than nWoD Mage corebook, which made the baffling decision to have gold text on silver pages so it is literally physically unreadable at any distance

M20 is honestly a lot worse than Awakening 1e, although not for that reason.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Witches. Not mages, like, actual people in pointy hats who run around on their high horse cursing people and getting into really petty neighborhood drama.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

You worked hard on this, guy. On behalf of yourself and everybody else who puts things on the Vault, you ought to charge a reasonable price for it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Loomer posted:

All it is is a compilation of other people’s writings, summarised and cross referenced. The only original work and content is in things like the Noddist exegesis and bloodline charts and editors notes, so I feel a bit awkward even considering putting a more than token price on it, and I did make a commitment to the thread years ago to release it for free. Which I suppose the basic version without the extra effort of layout and such satisfies.

That's true of a lot of history! Cross-referencing is work.

All in favor of Loomer making a bit of money off this, say aye!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, how many top Mage people are there? If the other two devs were busy there might be nobody else, especially since a lot of them would probably want to seriously alter the setting.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand is kind of infamous as a "peak 2e" book where they just kind of throw a bunch of insane poo poo at the wall. I wouldn't call it bad so much as very not normative.

There's a V20 version of the book which brings the True Hand more in line with the rest of the setting and was very well-received.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nessus posted:

Dude apparently is an obligatory blood drinker which seems to be the core qualification. On what grounds is he not?

Well, he never died.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, I feel like "is a dead thing wandering around" is a fairly important bit of being a vampire, and if Cain didn't die then he isn't that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

KotE has loads of good material and its problems are fixable, but the bit you would have to rewrite to do the fixing is, more or less, the skeleton. It would be about four times as big a rewrite as Changeling 20th got, and that was the biggest adjustment so far.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It looks like Colin Suleiman is in the. comments on Mummy being salty that he wasn't consulted.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Swedracula insisted for V5 that vampires don't have souls and can't become wraiths.

It wasn't canon before that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Unfortunately, the new Mummy manuscript is a mess.

I feel a little guilty for using this metaphor when I'm trying to give constructive criticism, but it's too good to avoid: it's like they heard that mummies in 2e experience their lives non-chronologically and decided to write the whole book that way. Concepts are constantly being discussed in detail before you have the necessary context for them to make any sense at all, and information is given to the reader in an apparently random order. I was honestly only able to make any sense of the book at all because I had read 1e.

I feel like the conceptual changes they've made are good? But the manuscript needs to go back to the shop for a serious rearrangement on the technical end. It's completely useless to introduce anybody to the game as it is.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I Am Just a Box posted:

I think that the CofD 2e corebooks suffer doubly from having the precedent set by the Vampire 2e core.

Yeah, it's bad, and it's been getting steadily worse. Requiem 2e started by detailing all the "types of vampire" splats, and it basically worked because Requiem is relatively close to the standard urban fantasy vampire lore, largely because Masquerade helped define that lore in the first place. You could fill in any gaps in your knowledge by just assuming it works like it does in Anne Rice.

But then they did it again in Werewolf, where it didn't work nearly as well, because Forsaken don't really resemble traditional werewolf lore, um, at all. You wound up reading a book that describes in detail just how Forsaken are ruthless, unstoppable murderers long before you get any context on why they kill so many people and why they aren't just serial slashers.

This tendency gets worse and worse the more high-concept a game line is, and Mummy is the most high-concept of all. They really, really, really, really need to quit it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Desiden posted:

I backed at the entry level out of curiosity at some of the talk and...yeah. The first thing that hit me starting to read it was that the first two chapters were out of order. Like, I actually thought there was some editing weirdness and when putting together the file they had reversed the order. The game just launches into all this babble about guilds and purposes and descents and risings before it even tells you what a mummy even is or where they come from. Then chapter 2 is more of the normal intro chapter, explaining Irem and how mummies got created and stuff. Its weird.

Yeah, the thing is that every CoD book, since Requiem 2e, is exactly like this.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

it's zombies, right? isn't it just zombies?

I kind of got the impression it was "oh, the Contagion can be anything you want!".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Releasing the manuscripts in chunks seems to be a better way of spreading the word, because people are more likely to dig into it that way than if you just give them a giant unformatted book and hope they get to it that month.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Gilded Cage was the Masquerade version of that and was quite popular.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Loomer posted:

So here's a thought. When the Camarilla was first proposed, no one was that keen. It took the diablerie of Hardestadt the Elder the next year to really cause sufficient panic to get people on board. Hardestadt was a powerful, powerful figure and somehow a raw neonate ate him.

So our question must become, who behind the scenes manipulated these events? Who desired the formation of the Camarilla sufficiently to sacrifice one of their most powerful pieces in the jyhad? The obvious choice is an antediluvian, but I think the better story comes from the Tremere, the other initial proposers of the Camarilla. The Camarilla is then figuratively built on an act of kinslaying and betrayal, and best of all, it's the kind of betrayal that would give real meat to any game as a slowly discovered plot thread.

Isn't the highly-hinted-at official answer "Hardestat the Elder, who Hardestat the Younger secretly is"?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

KotE is okay at its bones but you’d probably have to change a lot about its presentation to make it not-racist, and once you do that it might be easier to just make a new game.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It kind of ballooned, in part, I think, because they stick to the silly handwriting fonts throughout.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I absolutely want to see an F&F of Beckett.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, probably nobody could catch it all, but if you tell what you see other people will chime in.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I keep wishing they'd get into ePub instead of doing those weird little phone PDFs.

Meanwhile, I just turned my Exalted bestiary money into some print copies of Awakening 2e and Signs of Sorcery, and they look really nice. The color paper with fairly sparing use of color looks way better than I had expected.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

This is basically how shipping things out of the US works now.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

White Wolf is gone, period. CCP fired everybody years ago.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dross posted:

OPP is where most of the WW alumni are from what I understand.

No, they’re basically all gone at this point. Rich Thomas and Eddy Webb are the only ones left, and Eddy only does his creator-owned stuff.

At this point, it’s an open question whether OPP is able to survive the transition now that Paradox is more-or-less openly taking the World of Darkness from them.

(Not that I know what’s going to happen to the World of Darkness license now that Modiphius seems to have decided Vampire isn’t worth the hassle.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

What does OPP have in the pipeline other than the things they have currently kickstarted? Will there be another Vampire the Requiem book? Or is the situation more that everyone is working on the Kickstarter things so in a few years we will get another batch of kickstarted books and the cycle will continue.

I have really enjoyed the Trinity Aeon stuff I have played and definitely am interested in more in that setting. At the same time I am very glad that the book included a complete timeline from start to finish of what will happen if the PCs don't exist. Even if nothing else ever releases I know the kinds of things that are intended to happen, and it all has a defined conclusion too.

Their Monday Meeting Notes should tell you everything they have in the pipeline.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It’s been explicitly stated that there won’t be any new 20th Anniversary Lines (unless that changes, I guess).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Discarding Exalted's traditional crunchy approach in favor of a totally different game would result in an angry schism comparable to Mage Revised or V5.

Like, if you think "let's drop this and go for something simpler" is something universally desired, well.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

Its nice that there's apparently enough demand that there will be both.

Yeah, and they don't have to interfere with each other.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't want to spend fifteen minutes every time I take an action to choose which of the many many charms I want to use to slightly modify my dice roll.

That... isn’t really a thing that happens? When are you ever going to have more than three or four?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

House Tremere: In any decently-organized civilization it would be madness to put us in charge, but this is medieval Europe so we're probably the best option.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

My personal peeve with Malkavians is the ones whose curse is basically "they are stuck with some delusion which they will never, ever abandon, even when it's obviously counterfactual."

My favorite Malkavian is the one in Beckett who believes he is a character in a TV show, and is renowned for being extremely level-headed because when things go badly for him he just blames the writers.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

You can theoretically reason with the Brujah or even get them psychiatric treatment, but the Malkavian tends to have their delusions as an a priori fact.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I Am Just a Box posted:

Your least favorite Malkavians revolve around a central core delusion, and your most favorite Malkavian is one who revolves around a central core delusion?

Yeah, it's just that one is kind of fun and doesn't really make "this person needs help" the only thing you think of when they're present in the way that say, the elder who thinks he's two people who both spend eternity pointlessly loving with each other does.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The best (and possibly only good) source of more information would be the Revised Followers of Set book.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

Dark Eras 2 PDF is out for backers.
I flicked straight to the Golden Mage of Piracy chapter, and love it so far. I wasn't super interested by most of the other settings during the kickstarter, but I'll still read through them and even if I don't like them at all, the Pirate mages make the book worth it anyway.

I didn't realize I had already posted, but here are my opinions already sitting here waiting for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yes.