Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Soonmot posted:

My Werewolf players are in a pickle, they're up against an army of CHUDs, injured, allies are fleeing. The three ithauers are going to use their spirit howl ability all at the same time. It is a full moon.

My players are going to do Three Wolf Moon and I love them for it.

Wishing them luck. It's rough being on the run as a werewolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Could have Pentex on the ropes financially because mortals stole all their ideas and just did the loving over of humanity without the in-company murder and cannibalism. 'Look, I don't know who this Wyrm guy you're talking about is, but we're trying to run a business here. And succeeding. So if you're going to do this stuff, just talk with Jim and he'll tell you the vacation spots where you can go and do it on your own time.'

Also thank you SomethingAwful for changing the avatar.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
That reminds me of Hickman's Transhuman comic (different technological 'leap' though).

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I like how the eras are more uniform (in setup). Looks like vampires got loads of new stuff, couple of clans and covenants and powers. Loving the Werewolf Firstborn connection between ancient Hawara and WW1.

nofather fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 15, 2020

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

How's the WW1 Dark Era with Geists and Werewolves shaking out? It was the only one of the new batch that looked particularly interesting to me.

As someone who didn't know much about the war it's pretty informative about the things that are going to affect you (the Wire of Death is real, brutal). It's well written with story options and suggestions for handling different tiers (one - trench level, two - no man's land, three - the war room). It's Geist, Werewolf and Promethean, and I'm not that strong on my Promethean stuff but I've heard complaints about the new Lineage there (they seem to have solely come forth in WW1 and are otherwise a lost Lineage). The werewolf section is suitably chaotic and war-like, with a nice tie-in to the plot going on in ancient Egypt, and the Sin-eaters are in abundance, it would be hard to imagine not finding things for a krewe to do even without the offered plot hooks (the gas-bone chemist is a Bound who has thrown in his lot with death and destruction), along with a briefly covered Domain nearby called La Terre Des Héros with its Kerberos and go-to reaper.

Nazi Hunting is a big part of the Golden Age of Sci-Fi era. Taking place during/around WW2 but in America (specifically LA and New York), Nazi sympathizers are trying to curry support (or acting as parts of conspiracies, in the Deviant section). Deviant really doubles down on the Nazi punching here (the core was great for it).

nofather fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 16, 2020

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Yeah from what I hear you can do the Backerkit for $20 and get the PDF pretty instantly, or pre-order the hardback from it whenever it might come out. Nice that they've streamlined the process so but outside of Hunter it seems like they might be winding down the Kickstarters at this point.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Now that I've got Dark Eras 2, I'm looking at the last section (golden age of science) and wondering: What is this "Platonic Body" Variation they refer to for Deviant? The sample character has it, it's an option for Supersoldiers, and it doesn't exist in any of the Deviant backer PDFs I have.

Searched for it and on the Discord the developer (Eric) said before the Kickstarter Platonic Body got renamed to Rapid Healing.

nofather fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 16, 2020

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
The Integrity one would be an annoying fix, since while it is something ghosts have, it isn't something ghosts lose, being unable to suffer Breaking Points. And losing it is the bulk of Integrity rules.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Promethean seems like one of the best games to run one-on-one.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

In Requiem there was a whole society there that got wiped out.

There's a great insert in VtR's Clanbook Nosferatu where some ancilla with bad luck gets told to deal with 'something up' on his turf. That ends up being a raging pre-Columbian nosferatu elder awakened by recent digging for a mall who doesn't appreciate their turf being taken over.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Seriously, mortals is vastly underrated. They got a ton of books for them in first edition and there's so much you can do while basically guaranteeing there's no magic the players can pull off that would make it a snap.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Metapod posted:

After reading about mage I have a question

How is a game where you have no challenges fun?

It's just a bit more fun for the ST, because you can look at the PCs sheets, see where they are lacking, and tailor challenges for them. As the game goes on, you can understand the personalities of the players better, and what they want for their characters, and this just gives you more advantages when challenging them.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

LGD posted:

tbh I always felt like they should have been all over leveraging Exalted

Me too, but thinking about it recently they might be waiting for after Crusader Kings 3.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
How do people run Obsessions in Mage?

It seems like it's meant to be a big, driving force for them as individuals. Obsessions can literally warp the world with the Rapt, they have a pretty decent impact on breaking points and social maneuvering, the game mentions repeatedly it's about obsession, and the definition of the word itself is pretty telling. But the descriptions for the little Obsession sections revolve around, 'Obsessions are like aspirations.' Saying 'Obsessions are like long-term Aspirations, but grant Arcane
Beats and Mana when you resolve and make major progress toward them.' and 'Obsessions are just like long-term Aspirations, except they relate specifically to a mage’s compulsion to explore the mystical in her life.' Which seemed sort of weak, in comparison. What always bugged me was that there's also a Persistent Obsession Condition in the appendix, with no context for it since there's no spells or attainments that reference it at all. I always thought it was meant to be part of the default Mage, as it's a kind of carrot and stick for obsessions.

Do people run obsessions as on the same level as an aspiration, in terms of how their PC follows them? Or do you encourage more of a compulsiveness with them?

For people not interested in Mage at all: Do you think playing a zombie would be worth having its own gameline, or better and easier done by homebrewing something for an existing one? Cause outside of dragons it seems to be the 'go to' for people who want to homebrew new lines.

nofather fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 29, 2020

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

I found that Obsessions worked very well to drive my Mage players forward, even without any mechanics other than 'any time you pursue something for your Obsession, get an Arcane Beat (maximum 1/Obsession/scene).' It doesn't start off overpowering, and can even hide out in the background, but it will keep pulling them forwards. Make sure to have a list of player Obsessions you can look at, to remind them 'hey, you're Obsessed with stealing thunder from the gods, you would get an Arcane Beat for touching Zeus' lightning bolt while he's not looking.'

Yeah I haven't needed any mechanics but I use this kind of level of ST 'encouragement' about what obsessions are. I like the list idea a lot.

quote:

After all, that's how Aspirations work, but Obsessions stick around. Also, as ST, you should be making sure content fitting their Obsessions is available, so that they have the opportunity to pursue them and arcane power.

Definitely.

I think the question you have to ask yourself is, what do you want zombies for?
If you want "the dead rise and feast on the living," you've got vampires already. If you squint, a Nosferatu bloodline that has to eat flesh to get Vitae is most of the way there.
But if you want "ravening horde that slowly grows to take over a metropolis" it's a little harder to make playable. But if I did, I'd probably make it a contagious Deviant once that book's out.
Also, Geist 2e the first two merits for Ghosts (Brain Eater and Dead Meat) are straight-up, take these and be in your (dead) body animating it, and capable of eating brains to gain memories.

I completely forgot about the stuff in Geist. I was thinking of having it as a vampire thing. Deviant makes obvious sense too, like that Monster Nation book.

Tulip posted:

Broken record time:

Sounds like you want Promethean.

This seems to make sense mechanically due to the being made from corpses aspect of some of them. And perhaps disquiet as the Virus? But would the strive to become human really fit? Just offhand the only story I recall that has zombies-becoming-human as a big part of the story was the wildly underrated (but still schmaltzy AF) Warm Bodies.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

To also be a broken record, Deviant could also work if you want to go for the "I've been reanimated and I'm very mad about it" kind of zombie.

Yeah this is definitely winning Deviant over for me.

Relevant Tangent posted:

What do you want to explore with the zombie? Easiest way is Vampire template, replace Blood with Brains and remove the sun allergy. I'm assuming this isn't a long-term campaign so you're not going to have to worry about Brain Potency. Next problem is Disciplines. Give them Potence/Celerity/Vigor at one dot call it a day. Outside of exceptional circumstances that's all they get. Ignore Bashing damage completely, ignore bullets unless it's a head shot, get rid of electrocution rules drowning etc. Fire bad, limb loss very bad. No Beast, no Blush of Life, no regen.

It does fit vampire well, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a fitting proto-vampire type in Night Horrors: the Wicked Dead.

And certainly intent is the big thing. I was asking more as a feeling out about when people want an entire new gameline, as opposed to just altering an existing one (like this with vampire) and using zombies because it seems a popular monster for homebrews (and people keep refusing the use of existing games for it). The responses definitely seem to lean towards working off of existing structures, which was my preference too.

Jhet posted:

Obsessions should be something they can never realistically achieve, and should be crazy enough for them to actively want to pursue these things while playing. I explained them as central character traits. They're just as important to the mage as their virtue and vice when framing who they are and what they do. I've never found it necessary to write them down myself, because the players really took to the idea. Then because of how we play, they come up regularly via player input.

I like the framing of them for the player, but never being realistically achievable seems a bit rough. Like figuring out a specific Mystery in your town seems like it should have an end, to use Joe Slowboat's example of stealing lightning from the gods, if you manage it, does the obsession go away? Or is there another god and another more figurative lightning?

Further Reading posted:

Hey Goons! You guys helped me make the Dicecord discord bot for chronicles of darkness a few years back!

I'm using the pandemic to do a big revamp and one feature I'm looking into is calculations of rolls via stat names, so you can do something like "roll matter + gnosis" and it'd look up how much dice you need to roll. I think a cool addition for this would be to import a digital character sheet rather than having to manually declare a bunch of stats.

What do people tend to use for digital character sheets these days? I saw there's a website linked in the OP but most of my group mainly use Mr Gone's pdfs.

Hey that's really cool. I know a lot of people use diceord but I'm not sure what they use for character sheets, I'll ask. So far one for Google Docs. And another, specifically this one: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1chbThbfGKScnql2Dhnago_bTuQlK2MW_prYzX0O7BZs/

nofather fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 30, 2020

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
When you go farther back in first edition (so basically the rule in Boston Unveiled and Chicago) your cabals tend to be single Order, which was weird. Chicago even organized cabals by Order, so the Guardians of the Veil section then shows you a bunch of cabals full of Guardians of the Veil. There's members that stand out as exceptions (like a Madame Strega) but the write ups usually call out how them being in another order is an asset.

People have said that it seemed like the original intent was that everyone in a player group would all be of the same y-splat, I've no idea but the examples are a pretty good argument for it. Fortunately it seems to have been less of a rule as time went on.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

Are there any good Mage: The Awakening streaming shows out there?

Occultists Anonymous has one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6NroG9vRe4

It's up to 101 videos.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
It seemed more like a doubling down of the original intent. Werewolf and werewolf sex was supposed to be not done in Apocalypse, this was reinforced by social taboo, and the creation of metis, who were supposed to be horrible, but ended up with a lot of people wanting to play them (whether there was a mechanical advantage, or just for sheer uniqueness factor I have no idea). For whatever reason they, again, decided "No sex" in Werewolf the Forsaken, and in addition to social taboos, you had a thing that would outright kill you.

It was weird in both lines from the start, especially since White Wolf wasn't exactly shying away from sexuality. But they didn't want sex in werewolfs. Other games seemed to play it up. Vampire, obviously. Mage seemed pretty sexless (from the viewpoint of a person who never paid much attention to it, though there was this one story in an anthology) but more due to a shift of focus. The whole thing across werewolf seemed a very hamhanded way of someone trying to ban something they didn't like.

Glad they got rid of attempts at a sex ban in Forsaken second edition, where cleave to the herd just means to stay among them. Don't care about what they're doing in Apocalypse.

nofather fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 20, 2020

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
https://www.sescoops.com/the-ascension-reveal-their-new-post-wwe-name/

“The Awakening. It’s like it’s the next step up from The Ascension, It’s still got that connection so the fans can understand it and it’s something that Vik and I think is badass regardless.”

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Soonmot posted:

Need some Mage advice. One of my players is using shadow sculpting to move the shadows in a pitch black basement behind the group before they enter it. They've already made a shadow lantern that I've ruled doesn't project light so much as allow them to see all the different shades of darkness perfectly, so they can make out shapes and objects like normal, but not see any color or what have you. What they're trying to do now seems really cool, so I want to have *something* happen, but what happens to darkness when you move away all the shadows?

Perhaps in the right place, it can act as a key, opening a Scar to a Lower Depth where lurks an Atlantean Tomb, or allow a certain book a mystagogue might be frustrated over (the Book of Unseen Shadows) to be read, which would guide them to an Atlantean Temple. From there, even temple guardians, ancient secrets and traps, and an artifact or two revolving around shadows. One of the artifacts, despite its power, encourages its user to find certain soul-stones in an attempt to resurrect the ancient evil mage from the Time Before who wants to get back into the world and climb that ladder before those others get to it. And in the tomb you have a beast of a Bound who, now unbound, is your responsibility.

nofather fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 9, 2020

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Soonmot posted:

Looking through werewolf because half my cabal is going up against a Claimed. It doesn't look like they have bans or banes?

Yeah they have them, they keep the spirits (or whatever the entity is). 'The hybrid being that results has the entity’s Essence trait, Virtue, Vice, Ban, and Bane, but is a material being.'

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

tokenbrownguy posted:

Not to derail wolf sex chat, but I need some help wrapping my brain around the God Machine.

I think I'm struggling with the ineffable-unknowable-God-Machine thing. Generally I like to run antagonists with very understandable and basic goals: Put the player character in their place; get powerful or die trying; protect that dirty secret at all costs; make it through the day; etc...

This is definitely not what Demon wants out of the God Machine's divine machinations. How do you run cosmic horror that isn't just making spooky ghost noises and muttering about plots within plots? I can cover a dartboard with different grand plots (e.g. turn the SF Salesforce Tower into a conduit for ripping a portal to hell; open a new bookstore in Pike's Place Market that sells only copies of the Necronomicon disguised a Dummies Guides) and toss darts to see what the GM could do in practice, that's easy enough. This method doesn't really lead to coherence in over-arching plot.

To build off what That Old Tree said, you can use Angels. They're exactly what you want, antagonists with very understandable and basic goals, literally programmed into them. They have a sliding scale of power letting you make low-level goons out of them or near-omniscient masterblaster masterminds. You even have an abundance of humans (and all their offshoots, from stigmatics to vampires) as antagonists, as the God-Machine and angels work through a lot of catspaws, and while one may form a very obviously weird cult, another might just make a a single one-shot deal with someone (I will make your wife love you again if you sabotage the landing mechanism).

Angels are really easy to work with, I made a few setting up a makeshift underworld in Fort Wayne. There were reapers, who ostensibly looked like black-shrouded scythe-wielding soul harvesters but were really the lowest Rank, a Cerberus-like guardian of their base, and a Hades-alike. Reapers would go out, grab peoples souls as they died before they could run off anywhere with technognostic amphorae, bring them back to Hades to plug into the big machine that used them for energy. It wasn't a Demon game and a bit over the top, but an easy way to have something weird and off that leads back to the God-Machine (more obviously as the PCs followed it home, reapers had some mechanical aspects to them only visible when their shroud was damaged, Cerberus even moreso looking a bit like an animatronic, Hades just straight up mecha).

nofather fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 1, 2020

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

I Am Just a Box posted:

This book has been sitting in development hell since before Paradox bought the White Wolf IPs and launched V5. I'm guessing it just got grandfathered in because they didn't expect it to take another two years to finish, and if they had just pitched it recently instead they wouldn't have been given the okay to do it.

It's more likely the plans for a "One World of Darkness" didn't take in a concept for regular mortals who can do anything but be gestured at by supernaturals and die.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Kavak posted:

Mage the Ascension Victorian Sourcebook up on Indiegogo

I thought 20th Anniversary stuff was stopped because of 5th Edition. Does this mean there's no M5?

Probably decades off. They announced they were trying to go to indiegogo for this a few days ago.
http://theonyxpath.com/m20-victorian-age-go-gogo-monday-meeting-notes/

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

...and how does that square with changing the Consensus literally involving killing off dragons permanently, physical theories like aether being debated and decided in terms of actual physical truth, and so on?

Sounds like the dragons should have thought they existed more.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I liked his post further down.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Octavo posted:

Really wish Chronicles of Darkness games would get similar treatment.

I don't think even Onyx Path particularly cares anymore. Asking anything about Chronicles just seems to get a canned "Paradox has to okay anything, it's out of our hands" response. Which is true but doesn't really tell us if they've bothered to try these things. The non-licensed properties seem to be getting the lion's share of the attention.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

Werewolf: Oddly, I think Werewolves being revealed publicly would cause the least unrest on a broad scale, for the simple reason that in their human form, they're basically undetectable, and in their various other forms, they don't really have enough solid resemblance to their human forms to be traceable to them. There'd be a huge initial spike of unrest in areas where people didn't know, but of the Big Three, they're the ones who are most likely to have most of their close acquaintances/relatives/etc. already quietly in the know.

I think just introducing the spirit world as a sort of literal world of 'Your actions have consequences' would be enough to get humans to hate them. Granted it's not werewolves specifically but people aren't going to like to find this out.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Does the concept of Indigo Children ever pop up in either setting?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
No mention of Imbued, or powers at all. In fact "Hunters are fighting back against the terrors that go bump in the night, giving humanity a fighting chance against impossible odds. Hunters also position themselves in opposition to larger hunting orgs, which are often the tools of an unjust status quo." Sounds more like Hunters Hunted, or Vigil.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Loomer posted:

Also, it was Lucifer, if you listen to a different supplement.

Lucifer doesn't like supernaturals?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Doesn't the Ladder itself represent different rungs in the form of social classes that are the overall goal, with the Mages at the top and the Demoi at the bottom? There's movement, if you're not a terata that they've 'fixed' or killed off, but communism itself (at least ideally) seems to be about the abolishment of separate social classes.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No? Where do people get this stuff?

The entire point is for everyone to be mages. The Lie prevents this from being realized, and abolishing the Lie is the goal of the Pentacle Orders. The Silver Ladder section in 2E literally opens with "magic is humanity's birthright" and the whole page that follows is a list of descriptions of how they try to guide people to Awakening in practical terms. As far as the metaphor goes, that is the abolition of class.

Silver Ladder book. It starts on page 55 but there's three pages of different "functional categories" that the Silver Ladder believe people can be divided into.

quote:

Inside the order and out, mages think Cryptopoly is a plan for world domination. This isn’t true but it isn’t exactly false, either. Cryptopoly is a model, an overarching concept théarchs use to manipulate Sleeper society. It prepares the way for Hieraconis, seeding key institutions with people and customs to help mages and hint at the existence of the supernatural. The Cryptopoly’s component groups are the scaffold upon which humanity will build a better world. Mages will rule, guiding Sleepers because they must. No one else can to take them to the true gates of power.

While their end goal might be "Everyone Awakens" even that doesn't mean everyone's going to be on the same level. The Silver Ladder doesn't treat the freshly Awakened the same as someone who's been engaged with their Order for decades. Besides, if you're sticking everyone in classes until Hieraconis, if Hieraconis never happens all you've done is stuck people in classes.

quote:

The Demoi are everyone else: laborers, service workers, the homeless and middle managers — the people one sees every day. It’s tempting to think they can serve the order’s agenda only in groups, but every Demos has unique talents and social ties. They lack the opportunity, imagination or will to use their abilities to change society. The Lie lulls them into the Stag’s victim mentality and keeps them fast Asleep. Fortunately, the situation also breeds resentment; people at the bottom of the heap scramble for a way up and often Awaken because it’s the only alternative left. Enemies treat the Demoi like a faceless mass where every person is interchangeable. The Silver Ladder makes that stereotype its asset. When the great battle for Ascension comes, the Seers of the Throne won’t be able to draft foot soldiers from the streets. The Demoi will resist them and flock to Atlantis’ ancient banner.
That’s the goal, but the reality is the order finds it hard to suppress its elitist tendencies. Théarch strategists say the order should enlist common people by cultivating individual talent and giving it room to grow, but a mage just can’t get the same material rewards from a longshoreman as she can from a wealthy executive. It takes time and effort to find what makes an average person tick. It’s easier to invoke the mob. Théarchs who explore the bottom rungs of society usually treat it as a religious duty instead of a practical strategy. They spread a bit of hope around, perform simple miracles and tell people there’s a better world out there — one they deserve by birthright, not as a reward for doing what they’re told.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Ferrinus posted:

The distinction between Marxists and the anarchists is this: (1) The former, while aiming at the complete abolition of the state, recognize that this aim can only be achieved after classes have been abolished by the socialist revolution, as the result of the establishment of socialism, which leads to the withering away of the state. The latter want to abolish the state completely overnight, not understanding the conditions under which the state can be abolished. (2) The former recognize that after the proletariat has won political power it must completely destroy the old state machine and replace it by a new one consisting of an organization of the armed workers, after the type of the Commune. The latter, while insisting on the destruction of the state machine, have a very vague idea of what the proletariat will put in its place and how it will use its revolutionary power. The anarchists even deny that the revolutionary proletariat should use the state power, they reject its revolutionary dictatorship. (3) The former demand that the proletariat be trained for revolution by utilizing the present state. The anarchists reject this.

Thank you.

In this case neither seem to really fit an Order, at least neatly. But everyone becoming 'philosopher princes' in the Imperium Mysteriorum seems the opposite of abolishing the state. Suppose it depends on what the parallel for the state is.

Tulip posted:

I know edition wars suck in most games but edition wars in WOD rule because they're so drat complicated.

One of the cool parts of Mage's setting is that it's mostly wrapped around ideas and events rather than individuals. You have characters like Merlin and Angrboda but concepts seem to have a bigger spotlight (while still letting you slip your own OC into them). I honestly don't know enough about Ascension to war about it, or even if this isn't true about it as well.

quote:

It is extremely true to the majority of Marxists I know that they are invested in the destruction of capitalism because it is insufficiently skilled at maintaining the class distinctions they believe in.

Hm that seems more like a grudge against certain Exarchs than any Order stance.

There is a cult in the Silver Ladder called Révolution Permanente that, like the name suggests, promotes revolutions. They tend to help anarchist and socialist causes, and it mentions that their support of the USSR and PRC ended up turning the rest of the Silver Ladder against them (after they became totalitarian).

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Probably a better bet than waiting for a Player's Guide.

Do you have any insight on why you can share? One thing second edition seemed to be focusing on was getting out a basic trio of books for each gameline, Player's Guide, ST Guide, and Night Horrors. Not that it was planned it just doesn't seem like any of them are even suggested anymore.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Isn't that just where lupus come from?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Yeah they clearly are just not going to do Chronicles stuff once the existing stuff is out.

I always thought Rich was embattled but okay but man, confront him with 'Hey there's no Chronicles, looks like it's dead,' and he responds to you calm and peaceful, 'What are you talking about?" 'Well you don't got nothing planned for it, 'We don't announce everything planned.' 'And you stopped mentioning it at all in your Monday Meeting posts," 'Sometimes there's nothing to say.' Like he took a loving NDA that says, 'Don't say anything about Chronicles. EVER! But if someone mentions it's dead, talk to them."

It's like ambivalence destroyed what could have been a good game. loving sucks.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
It looks like Justin Achilli and Karim Muammar are the only ones who've done rules for tabletop RPGs before. Otherwise there's someone who made a board game and wrote for the Hunters Hunted II anthology. And three people from D&D's new Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel.

No reviews yet but the Discussion tab is all negative.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/404271/Hunter-The-Reckoning-5th-Edition-Roleplaying-Game-Core-Rulebook

Looks like the Proofreaders were also all part of the "World of Darkness Team."

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

I Am Just a Box posted:

I looked over the books. Here's what the sidebar's rule says are which creatures gain rest from sleep and reaffirm their self-image and confidence in their identity, and which are left unrefreshed and whose confidence in their identity simply erodes over time:

Willpower from Sleep: Mages, changelings, hunters, mummies, demons, beasts, and deviants.
No Willpower from Sleep: Vampires, werewolves, prometheans, and bound.

Regular mortals also recover Willpower from sleep, of course, but if you're reading 2e Vampire, Werewolf, Promethean, or Geist as your first CofD book, you'd never know that, because those books never mention anyone recovering Willpower from sleep.

Why wouldn't werewolves?

I know this book is bad, but looking through the sidebar it doesn't call them out so this seems like a choice of yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Pretty sure everyone recovered willpower form sleep in 1e.

Yes.

The sidebar is clear that it's only fiddly due to how they published later things, with a lot of cut n paste.

"Vampires not regaining Willpower from sleep was
a subtle choice in Vampire second edition. Since
we weren’t presenting full rules for mortals, we just
didn’t mention it.
This created problems in later publications,
however, since we were reusing Vampire’s rules
section to preserve consistency. The non-mention
was easy for writers to miss. So, it’s often not clear
whether it was left out on purpose or whether it
was a mistake."