Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So would anyone be interested in either a WW2 Supernatural Humans or 1980s/90s Chop Socky nWoD game set in the Japanese underworld? (Basically PnP Ryu ga Gotoku using nWoD rules)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Digital Osmosis posted:

I assume this is a play by post thing? I haven't had much luck with PbP before but uh, Yakuza 0 with nWoD rules sounds completely amazing.

Rolling PbP style on Discord with multiple channels. Probably 3-4 players in the "gang". Works better than a PbP since you can chat OOCly in real time, phone app is great, bot does the rolling in a dice channel, and yeah... it's just smoother.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Incidentally, was gonna use Block by Bloody Block as my inspiration for framing a Yakuza gang nWoD game, ha.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Moving away from Mage circlejerk for half an iota of a second (too long for some of you, still, I apologize):

How feasible is it to run a supernatural human type of campaign in nWoD?

The core has a handful of neat supernatural powers that regular humans could have, and I've been toying with the idea of running a story campaign centered around the players as that... No they wouldn't become mages or vampires or anything else, they would just be people with supernatural abilities thrown into a relatively mundane kinda plot. (Gifted soldier squad in WW2 deployed to Europe on a top secret mission is the current leading possibility, for me)

Are there really enough powers to make it interesting? Any splats that add more supernatural powers for regular humans without being some weird hack of a watered down power from some other line? Assuming there aren't any actual monsters or creatures from the other lines (or maybe there are, but not as written, more like monster NPC rules to keep them reasonably challenging for the PCs without going into stupid land), would that be enough of a hook for the campaign? I mean, the odds would be stacked against them by default, in terms of their opposition being the entire Reich while they're in deep enemy territory, so I figure it'd work out okay.

Thoughts?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Joe Slowboat posted:

I’d actually say the main problem is that running WWII combat in Chronicles seems like a pretty serious mismatch; you could do Hellboy/BPRD style special deployments but I can’t imagine extended military firefights in CoD.

Hellboy type of secret mission stuff is exactly what's planned, not Patton style warfare.

Nessus posted:

You will need to define what constitutes a "regular human" for the answer to have meaning, because (for instance) Sin-Eaters and Mages seem as though they would qualify.

There is also a game, Godlike or something, that is exactly the premise you describe, funnily enough!

This misses the entire point of my post and is needlessly pedantic when I figured it was clear enough that I don't want to dip into lines outside of the base CoD style mortals core.

Ferrinus posted:

Fuzz has pretty much predicted the main problem of his game idea already, which is that there’d be less cool stuff to buy with XP. nWoD 2E is better on this front than 1E was because there are many more scaling merits available to mortals but if you don’t find enough material in Hunter you might want to just take Werewolf Gifts or Mage Rotes and just pretend they’re psychic powers that “gifted” humans can learn with time.

Yeah, this is the problem I foresee. They could all grab a supernatural merit at the start, hopefully with some good variety across the team, but then where do they go from there? Granted it would mostly be a story campaign so they'd start with above-starter exp but there would be obvious chapter breaks where they could spend more exp and up their stats across the three major acts of the campaign, but some may feel like just increasing their mundane stats instead of supernatural stuff wouldn't be enough. Star Wars Edge of the Empire, for example, is just regulars people in Star Wars and as you progress they just get better at doing things and that's basically enough, but the very fact that this is nWoD rules and they'd be starting with some level of "other" power means you've already opened the can and it's a fine line to tread to keep the players' attention captured while also making sure they have fulfilling character growth.

Alternative is to make the supernatural powers something they gain later, but that sorta flies in the face of the underlying plot idea. As it stands, my plan was to put them through boot camp as the prologue using starter rules, then at the end they get some exp to up stuff and can also take supernatural abilities at that point (but entirely optional... you want to play a regular guy, that's totally fine too).

Might need to look at alternative systems to find what I'm looking for.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I Am Just a Box posted:

I hate to ignore the premise and swerve on you, but honestly? Deviant: The Renegades is perfect for this. (If you missed the Kickstarter, there should be a Backerkit somewhere you can still buy into where you can get the full preview manuscript.) This is the kind of situation where you can get heroic Devoted (to the Allied Powers, with Loyalty Touchstones among your comrades and superiors) fighting villainous Devoted of a rival "conspiracy" (Axis Powers). If you keep your players from taking Scars (and thus Variations) that are too big, their powers will still stay down in the manageable range and they won't be too hosed up, leaving them around a similar place to mortals with Supernatural Merits.

This actually sounds cool, though it looks like there's no ETA on when it will actually come out so that doesn't really help me in starting a campaign in the next month or so. :smith:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah, I'm thinking you're right. The goal was to make a Dirty Dozen style game with a band of random powered and imported but hard edged soldiers, all infiltrating into the Reich ahead of D-Day to get crazy poo poo done and stop a Nazi project deep in Europe. The odd powers and whatnot was to give them a leg up over the basic Inglorious Basterds kinda vibe and add some fun Metal Gear Solid style weirdness to it all. (It's actually set in the MGS universe)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Got a copy of Deviant and it actually does work perfectly for the campaign idea and video game-y setting. Thanks for the heads up, thread!

Will be running it on here via Discord PBP eventually, assuming there's interest.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

LGD posted:

depending on what you want in terms of "powers" the other product you might want to look at is the newest version of Trinity Continuum (which isn't quite the same system but is very close), because Talents from the corebook are pretty appropriate for low-powered but larger than life characters engaging in super-science pulp adventures (and you could likely adapt Psiads if you wanted to get weirder with it)

it'd also be pretty easy to explain why they all simultaneously become Talented in-game by having them exposed to a Nazi/Allied attempt to collect/harness Telluric energy (exploding engine/storage device, experimental "super soldier serum", etc.)

Never heard of that system, but cool, will check it out.

Been reading Deviant: The Renegades, and it can easily be worked into what I wanna do, with the players basically playing Devoteds of the Allied military command. Dunno how difficult it'd be to run with people not having access to the book yet, and the manuscript is pretty rough to read.

If anyone is interested, though, I already made the Discord server and will have a recruitment post up at some point. In the meantime, for those curious you can come chat at:

https://discord.gg/FZsAG2w

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Nessus posted:

Well it depends which Jesus you're talking about. Most religions would tend to attribute a considerable quantity of super-powers to Jesus, unless you want to go with the Jewish interpretation, which I believe is "if such a man existed, he may have been a good man, but he wasn't a great rabbi."

In most Christian readings Jesus could be considered to have True Faith, but Jesus also famously showed several signs of doubt (you can find a copy of this book pretty readily). The Islamic interpretation of Jesus would have the same level of True Faith as Muhammad, I presume.

In Islam, Jesus would have more True Faith than Muhammad. Muhammad couldn't perform any miracles, Jesus very much could. Jesus is talked about in the Quran more than any other prophet, in fact. Muhammad is important in Islam in the fact that he's the last prophet. Even by his own admission in Hadith and whatnot, he did not achieve even remotely the greatest testaments to the "will of God" compared to several other prophets.

And yes, Jesus faltered a bit. There are a few stories in the Quran about Jesus' childhood where honestly he seems like a bratty little poo poo until Joseph wises him up, dad style. (In Islam, Jesus isn't the son if God because there are no demigods, God is singular. That said, Joseph was also not his father and the immaculate conception did happen, just, you know, God made Mary pregnant, he didn't impregnate her like Zeus or something)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916561

Deviant/Mortal recruiting up.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

If anyone is a patron for Rude Takes of Magic, their Masquerade game is fantastic.

To understand the tone, there is a character named "Sephiroth Meatspreader".

What is this? All I find is some podcast with no mention of Masquerade... I will say that I'm old and don't really "get" how podcasts work, mind.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Edit: of course it's the last post of the page. :smithicide:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 13, 2020

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Just putting on the new page (second and final attempt! I swear!), a link to the recruitment for a new DEVIANT and MORTALSgame:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916561

COME KILL NAZIS WITH US!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Wasn't there supposed to be a free book drop every day this week?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So for my Deviant + Mortals game, I decided to make Mortals also have 10 dots to use at character creation and then also have Professional Training 3 to reflect some special training in given areas to help them keep pace with the Deviants. (they cannot raise it any further)

Thoughts? I mean, they'll be highly skilled and rolling more dice for mundane tasks than Deviants will, but they also, you know, can't melt into pools of meat and slide under doors, or stab people in the neck with razor hands, or generate multiple tangible copies of themself and punch people int eh face in a flash mob... seems fair.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

The Consensus-shaping wizards of the Technocracy actually do put mind control drugs in their vaccines and cause climate change according to a secret timetable, though. Science isn't actually bad in Ascension any more than it is IRL - it's just that, like it is IRL, science is chiefly controlled and benefited from by our class enemies.

Ferrinus is the Technocracy of this thread. :hmmyes:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Things are finally settling down and I was turned into the LA by Night series on YouTube, which has really given me a hankering for VtM.

Last I'd checked this thread was basically the nMage literal bucket of die discussion thread and anything else gets shat on, but anyone have any interest in playing a modern era v5 game with a slightly modified lore setup?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ritorix posted:

I would play or maybe run some v5 with you all. I'm in a pbp-style discord game and that's also a nice option if people don't want a real-time game.

Gatto Grigio posted:

I’d be down for a PbP Discord game of V5, and would enjoy getting a chance to play.

In terms of preference, I’d prefer an Anarch-based game or one where we play elders, but I’m down for whatever.

This would be how I'd run it, yeah. Also would happily play.

Maybe we should both run chronicles!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Gatto Grigio posted:

You said you were looking to do B5 with a modified lore setup, so I assumed you were running but I could be wrong?

What sort of modified lore were you thinking?

Was to Ritorix, who also wanted to run one.

I was gonna bring back my old Revised setting where the Sabbat is less goofy vampire lunatics and more.... well, like it is in v5, with it mostly being an ideological disparity based on vampiric religion, and the idea of Caine and whatnot being minority viewpoints of how the Kindred are the way they are.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ritorix posted:

It was nice to see a few different malk portrayals across that pair of games. There was Hope, her sire, and Adelaide - the clingy stalker from Coteries. Hope was by far the closest to the goofy malk stereotype.

Hope's Sire is from New York by Night and has been part of the Lore for 20+ years.
https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Carter_Vanderweyden

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

They're vampires, not Jedi.

ZearothK posted:

[edit] People who talk about the "right way" to play anything are usually asshats

Yes.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

V5 people:

You should all watch LA by Night. It is cool and good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFyQtOghqwA

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Developed a homebrew Predator Type that wasn't covered for V5:

Culler
You feed only from the elderly and infirm, "culling the herd," as it were. Due to their frail nature, your victims rarely survive the feeding process, and the quality of their blood is such that even when you drink your fill it's rarely satiating. These mortals don't have long to live, after all, so what's the loss of a few meager weeks, or months, or years with poor quality of life?

- Add a specialty: Awareness (Illness) or Medicine (Diagnosis)
- Gain one dot of Auspex or Oblivion
- Lose one dot of Humanity
- Gain the Feeding Merit: (o) Bloodhound
- Gain the Feeding Flaw: (o) Methuselah's Thirst
- Spend three dots in a medical Ally

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 23, 2021

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

It's a one on one campaign?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So what are people's views/thoughts about Vampire 5E overall? I'm actually really digging the streamlining of everything and the cutting out of a lot of the stupider lore bits, as well as making the whole setting a little less canon heavy with more room for players to do whatever. Also Loresheets rule.

Anyone else actually like it, or is this thread basically gonna live up to my usual expectations and mostly be people talking about how it sucks and CoD is superior in every imaginable way? (I am not asking about a comparison beween it and CoD, just if people like 5E or not)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Main reason to ask:

I'm South Asian and have been chatting with some actual White Wolf staffers casually in the main WoD and V5 discords, and basically outlined a retcon for KotE to make them just vampires that have a different belief structure (same systems as basic vampire, same core clans even though they have different names and many believe they're separate entities or that the western Kindred are just bloodlines of their clan) and the same layout with disciplines, just a lot of the less stupid powers being turned into Amalgams or special variant powers. "Kuei-Jin" is tossed as a term and is a silly polyglot American immigrant term that bled backwards and most of the Vampires in Asia find it silly and insulting. Dharmas aren't a thing other than being Conviction and Tenet blocks that many follow. Caine and the concept of Noddism are entirely western concepts, with one of the prevailing philosophies being centered around Hinduism and Buddhism as the "TRUE" source, the westerners having their own hot take is laughable, etc.

Putting it together in a homebrew splat and have a Filipino friend and a Korean friend helping out, but would like to get some more heads in on it, particularly someone well versed in Chinese mythology and language, as well as just having more Asian history buffs would be really helpful - I'm well versed in Indian, Chinese, and Japanese history, but my knowledge of Southeast Asian history is pretty much post 1800s and we don't want to get stuff wrong. The one staffer ice spoken to at length about it honestly seemed super interested in it, so who knows, maybe it could become more than just a homebrew splat, since they've been hovering around KotE and avoiding it, but they're so steeped historically in the game that it's hard to rationalize all of it as a cohesive game without taking a hatchet to something.

All the Chi stuff and ill advised and misunderstood orientalist theorycraft bullshit is getting thrown out and we're trying to honor the cultures and traditions of our peoples while also merging ideas from the base game in since there are actually plenty of parallels and it's surprisingly easy to make a lot of it work. The goal is to be able to maintain a lot of the old canon of the Wan Kuei being this "external" threat that clashes with the traditional western Kindred, but then also show a nice and balanced modern take where clans like the Ventrue and Tremere have made some headway into Japan, China, etc while still butting heads with what is essentially a fundamentally different ideologically vampire group.

But yeah, hit me up if anyone is interested. Gonna be hammering away at it for awhile.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 1, 2021

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Gatto Grigio posted:

Fuzz, I think your efforts to reposition the lore of Eastern vampires is awesome. I really like the idea of recontextualizing the vampires of V:tM in a context based on East Asian mythology and history, and wish you success on your project! This is a great interest of mine as well, so I would be happy to collaborate.

The Yama Kings and their demon agents are everywhere, working to bring about the fall of the Wan Xian's inheritors and an Age of Darkness. Shifters and fae are demons, witches are demons and take their power from them, dead souls rise to the Earth as demons to haunt us, etc.

(the label "demon" is something the Cainites of the East use as an excuse to oppress and commit violence upon other supernaturals, just as Western Cainites use labels like "Lupine" and "Infernalist")

One thing I might integrate with East Asian Kindred are rituals that draw power from sacred sites, so that creates instant conflict with other supernaturals. And unlike shifters and mages, the relationship created with those sites is entirely parasitic. They wouldn't be too different from Tremere and Tzimisce koldun rituals that do the same thing.

Saulot (Zao La) came to the Middle Kingdom in ages past to explore the nature of his curse and find further insight into Golconda, and possibly even the secret to becoming human again. He and many elders in what is now modern China exchanged knowledge and insight, and he even managed to establish a brood of childer known in the modern day as the Wu Zao. But despite his studies and the advice of his teachers ("Let go of your daddy issues and accept your Hunger and immortal state"), he found his efforts stymied and left in disgust (possibly creating the Baali along the way back home).

Hell yeah, PM me or hit me up on Discord, Fuzz#8896

In the rewrite, to fit the overall themes and spirit of V5 and the fact that there are no Salubri or alternate Tremere (but reg Tremere in HK and Tokyo) and the fact that ultimately all that errata could just be western propaganda anyway, the 13th clan of the East is the only one that's actually different from the base clans - the Pehari. Based out of Tibet, they've always had three eyes, even before Saulot (whose name is just Saulot, because no one Mandarinizes western names, wtf) showed up trying to broker peace and ended up diablerizing a boddhisatthva and stealing the third eye. They don't have the same clan disciplines as the Salubri, still have Auspex, but other stuff is different. Their Bane is the same, different Compulsion, though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Beats were a cool system.

Giving coterie/party exp as a flat thing with everyone getting a flat amount is also the way to go to avoid one upmanship bullshit. Some people say to also/alternatively give a big lump of exp to the group to let them them divvy it up based on the needs of the group, but IMO that's not in the spirit of the game, plus it's messy as gently caress and probably will lead to drama.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

joylessdivision posted:

In Masquerade it is 100% physical. They are the "Max Schrek as Nosferatu" clan, so pointy ears, bad skin etc. There is a level 3 Obfuscate power called "Mask of 1000 Faces" that allows the user to take on a non descript look to blend in and interact so I'd assume some Nos probably use that (Gary Golden used it several times in LA by Night)

Incorrect, and Parliament of Knives actually has a Nos that looks normal to kindred and seems unassuming, and then around actual mortals who aren't ghouls he's severely offputting and wrong.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

That Old Tree posted:

:shrug: I'm not surprised if ancillary or incidental sources diverge, because lol White Wolf games, but every core book up to the 5th edition specifies physical deformity for Masquerade Nosferatu (and skimming the revised Clanbook, I don't see any disagreement). I don't recall there ever being "normal-looking but offputting" on the table throughout most of Masquerade, though, and I was fairly deep into it when it was at its height.

I'm purely talking about V5, which takes most of its bane cues from VtR.

TheKingslayer posted:

Speaking of art in Vampire this is still one of my favorite pieces. Enough so I ended up getting the same t-shirt Lambach is wearing

Pretty sure that's either heavily inspired by or straight up a rendition of Martin Gore from Depeche Mode circa the late 90s (Ultra era)

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 15, 2021

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kavak posted:

V5 was the shitshow, V20 is just Distilled Revised plus Beckett's Jyhad Diary.

Counterpoint: V5 is great and the system is way more streamlined and better than V20, and this is coming from me, the Revised drum banger for the last decade and a half.

The only major flaw is you need 5 different books (one of which is free) to get all the stats + rules for the 13 clans, which is loving asinine and lovely. The layout of a lot of it in terms of just... *stuff* is super loving stupid, and that's entirely on Renegade being dumbasses about it.

Having a handy reference thing helps:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10nKgESrz3Q7Afumr9_2Vjkgc6g8-DT22hKUDAG37Rmg/edit?usp=sharing

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 16, 2021

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So what's so terrible about Mage 20? Did they turbofuck the rules from Revised?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

https://www.worldofdarknessnexus.com/

So uh, thus us gonna be a thing now.

If it actually works and isn't like, Gamespy meets MS Teams for PnP, that could actually be realy cool.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kavak posted:

Yeah they're making H5. Or was it H2O?

H5 and it'll be out Very Soon.

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

Strange question that popped into my head as I'm preparing a MtAw Chronicle:

If someone who's blind Awakens, how does their Mage Sight function? Is the same information found in their other senses?

Daredevil vision.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 16, 2021

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Pretty sure their whole Nexus thing is a test bed to try for a wholly digital subscription based RPG system where you just sub and get access to everything, all the time, and then you can play on a tabletop or online if you get the premium sub or whatever.

That's my prediction, at least. Eventually you'll stop seeing books and it's more just piecemeal rulesets getting DLC like additions of whatever to them, they'll bust out phone and iPad apps, probably try to get some sort of interactive table edition, if you want to go that route eventually (assuming it's even successful) and just generally turn RPG PnP gaming into a subscription vs a point of sale process.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dio is actually based on the Zoroastrian Daeva myths, Daeva is pronounced Dio/Deo in multiple south Asian languages and translated the same way into Thai.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

We know weebs infiltrated White Wolf, since pretty much everything they did about asia was super anime (Wraith excepted, it was mostly driven by Grabowski's hatred of Qin Shi Huang).

I spoke to one of the KotE authors.

Big Trouble in Little China, HK cinema, and 90s anime and video games formed the bulk of their inspiration for a lot of stuff.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Jojo is literally full of musical reference names to the point where official translations have to change some of them for copyright reasons. Like, the guy named Speedwagon.

Yep (which is why the sub is better since the dub has to remove all the copyright names), but the point with Dio was that the name was chosen first and then when it was like "well what are his powers" Araki went back to weird middle eastern mythology because Japan was obsessed with that stuff in the 80s (see also: every freaking monster in Final Fantasy) and it was a convenient play on the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm just going off an old interview with him from like the late 90s where they asked him what his inspiration for all the crazy stuff was and he said, "rock and roll and mythology!" And then talked at length about the epic of Gilgamesh and Mesopotamia.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 23, 2021