Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I've started my V5 campaign where thinblood vampires are abducted and taken to a new wing of the South Pole research station, where governments do research on them away from the public eye (radiation exposure, freezing/heating etc). After an accident, the vampires get released from storage. Also, its happening during the night time. So imagine 30 days of night mixed with The Thing and a sprinkling of Fargo here and there. It is going to be great.
Sole survivor uses Protean 4, runs for the American camp pursued by the two surviving researchers in a helicopter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

What was the overall verdict on Werewolf 20th? I remember skimming over it and finding it appealing but I'm trying to remember if it was the one that was omega-ultra-horny or "phobic above and beyond the legacy of the source material."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

I have a dark secret to confess.

I love the Stargazers. They're my favourite tribe.
I too was down. I think they hit a reasonable sweet spot of being readable either in a serious way (Buddhist wolves from the Himalayas make as much sense as IRA wolves) or a goof-rear end gonzo way (MASTER OF KAILINDO ROUNDHOUSE KICKS YOU).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

That Old Tree posted:

I recall hearing there was some dissonance between the core resolution systems and the Gifts because the writers didn't talk to each other or something. Other than that, generally positive second-hand impressions up until Shattered Dreams (where ParaWW inserted a lengthy :siren: NOT CANON :siren: sidebar in preparation for the next edition) and Changing Ways (where there was just…weird bad stuff added by ParaWW about gender politics, abortions and trans people in the Garou Nation).
OK, so there's a pretty distinct chunk of bullshit from the Hitler tails I can excise. I think my memory is getting mixed up with Changing Breeds, which I recall could have been subtitled: The Yiffening.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

If people are still interested in the adventures of our little coterie, gimme a shout, depending on if it's better posted here or in the stories thread.
:justpost: I find all the live play accounts to be inspiring even when I do not find them interesting, and I find them interesting most of the time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

How dare you bring that evil here, Ferrinus

What splat is Vegeta?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bogart posted:

Now, which Goku is this?
The fish dude he fought in the afterlife tournament, obviously.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

You could have a strain of that thing you linked that gives them general communication power and is... less that thing. Kind of an initiatory factor.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well, no, the PCs are the Innsmouth people. The antagonists are, like, I guess Obed Marsh himself, and only because he's a domineering rear end in a top hat rather than because of some racist nonsense about hereditary degeneration or interbreeding.
Re-litigating Lovecraft stories gets tedious, but the only real bad guy in that story was the aspects of the Deep One cult that, if I recall, were killing hoboes and people who were not on board the fish-man train. Joining the fish-man train was consensual and led to great benefits. At the end, the narrator even gets on the train! You could probably lean into misanthropy here for funsies, that'd boost sales.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

joylessdivision posted:

Father Nogad hangs out with a Mr. Alucard on the weekends.
Doctor Acula, surely.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

pseudosavior posted:

I can't get rid of this idea of a Shoal of Deep Thing-associated Mer who hijack a submarine for reasons unknown.
Seaman container.

It would be interesting to explore Vampire less as sexy monster or TV psychopath but more as people who have to live in the weird marginal spaces of society. The guy with the powerful domain isn't the banker or billionaire, though he has pull; it's the guy who has three locksmiths ghouled and knows how to get in and out of several dense housing subdevelopments comfortably, "for the cunctator's pleasure."

In this version I imagine the paranoid rants about how increased housing density is the one world government's plan also bring up the vampires.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

yeah how the gently caress can you muck up UNDEAD BLOOD-WARRIORS RAGING AGAINST THE CORPSES OF GOD'S CHILDREN. oh by being boring edgelord dipshits who don't understand rebellion as anything other than one-dimensional antisocial shock humor.
To be fair they probably hosed it up a little by making the Sabbat such an unambiguous contrast to the Camarilla being pro-Humanity (in the vague moral sense, mind you). The Sabbat's big distinguishing selling point beyond having sex orgies and being Hispanic (?) and sort of evil Catholic (??) was that they had the Paths, right, and the thing is that most of these Paths were basically "you become some kind of ritualized super-vampire."

Which makes sense and is internally consistent but at a certain point it's like, "OK, your character only takes a break from reading books on this particular ancient topic to go drink some blood, if they absolutely have to. If they don't, it's a Degeneration check." Alternately they are on the Path of Being the Joker, the Path of Being A Pedantic Goth Witch, the Path of Ethnically Offensive Simplification, or the Path of Strictly Constructed Vampilawful Good.

The Anarchs also removed or at least occupied the design space of "egalitarian/against elder rule (or at least elder rule by virtue of being an elder)", otherwise they could have had a dichotomy between "egalitarian and better for YOU, but also a crazed blood sex cult" and "hierarchal and worse for YOU, but substantially less prone towards regular blood orgies."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

Once again, someone typed all those words when reqiuem completely obviates their necessity

Also, open call for horrorscopes time!
Do two print runs with one slight variant. In print run 1, Ventrue: It's time to make your big move. The stars are with you! In print run 2, Ventrue: They're going to ruin everything tonight. Stop them at all costs.

Actually that'd be a fun little theme, really.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Omnicrom posted:

Some of that came up at the end of the last thread. Following Mors' post I now accept as canon the idea that Brock Lesnar is a Promethean.
What's his Wasteland, the WWE writer's room?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I thought you had to do like advanced exsanguinitory poo poo to crack open Thaumaturgy outside of the Tremere, who just baked that into becoming a dracula presumably.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

joylessdivision posted:

You mean you don't want pages upon pages of arguments about Dracula Houdinis and how not at all dumb an idea they are?
Why not Houdini as a dracula? Embraced on his deathbed, he now -- something. I guess he'd be Camarilla since he died in NYC. Didn't he?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Loomer posted:

Well, poo poo. Not loving up other people is my weak spot. I guess I'll just have to throw in enough extra content in the appendixes and notes so I don't feel like a total ripoff artist.
We can do nothing to ease the agony of a lying brain, but perhaps the sweet surcease of a secret goon free download code will silence the Derangements within for a time.

But more seriously yeah I think you have every right to charge for this poo poo. People sold concordances and indexes for Tolkien etc. and while I suppose that might have been cleared with his literary estate... it was legitimate work! They earned the money they got! So have you!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Teller as Tremere Primogen, Penn as his 220-year-old ghoul with Potence 4 and specialties in Ironic Murder.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

titanic dread mokole battles winged avatar of the triatic wyrm in downtown tokyo
Up from the deeps
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
Their heads in the sky
MOKOLE
MOKOLE

And Kitsune.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mulva posted:

Here's a thought exercise for you: Is Caine a vampire?
Dude apparently is an obligatory blood drinker which seems to be the core qualification. On what grounds is he not?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, he never died.
Adam and Eve didn't have a mom, were they not human?

I mean to a certain extent any continuity errors don't matter because God (who has exceeded the 20th level of experience as a wizard) was involved.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, I feel like "is a dead thing wandering around" is a fairly important bit of being a vampire, and if Cain didn't die then he isn't that.
By this cockamamie reasoning, a Garou channeling an ancestor spirit is more a vampire than the ur-vampire himself. A Risen! A wraith using Inhabit! A Hollow One! Granted a Hollow One would probably be more Goth than Caine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The garou isn't dead though?
Exactly, but if the primary consideration for "is a vampire" is "was dead, now isn't" instead of "drinks blood," then a Garou being ridden by their ancestor is closer to being a vampire than Caine. All the pieces are there: an actual person who died is in control of a body in the living world.

Next you'll be claiming bats are bugs!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

So how mad do y'all think vampires would get at a neonate who kept referring to the Masquerade as Vampire Kayfabe? Either WoD.
Smilin' Jack would probably ask you to define the term and then say "That's basically right, but if you break it, YOUR rear end IS TOAST." And who gives a gently caress about any other vampire tutorializer?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

There are a lot of American Catholics in my experience who are heavily protestant in like, cultural awareness terms, just from growing up in America. I took a course on Catholic stuff while scamming a free year of tuition at a Catholic university (it was mandatory) and the instructor (a convert) regularly had to tell people things like "no, the Church doesn't say you are DEFINITELY going to Hell, only that if you do it our way, you're definitely NOT going to Hell... God can, and may, extend his mercy, but..."

To answer the question there has always been strong female representation in my gaming spaces, though the details have varied.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

kaynorr posted:

You'd basically have to Scion the poo poo out of the writing process - I know they went above and beyond to be respectful to all the real-world faiths portrayed, but did the additional effort translate into better sales? I really hope so, because I'd love to see them Scion the poo poo out of Mage: The Awakening.
Do you mean Ascension? Other than having Greek terms the groups in Awakening did not seem to be strongly culturally bound compared to either the Traditions/Conventions in oMage or the various pantheons in Scion.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 7, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah, what the gently caress was up with that? Buffy crossover ?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

So it's pretty clear where Nosferatu and Toreador come from but what were the inspirations for the other Clans?
Brujah were probably from Lost Boys and the Fang Gang.
Ventrue are also probably kind of Anne Rice, but may be OG content.
Gangrel seem to have been working back from the bat/wolf end of the Dracula power set.
Tremere may be original but have some connection with Ars Magica.
I suspect Malkavians are also rooted in Anne Rice, but may also be a way to hearken back to all the weird OCD details in vampire myth.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Are there any vampires who hunt "their own kind" and/or really hate other vampires?

There are multiple vampire sects in both oWoD and nWoD who consider vampires to be cursed and inherently evil. Seems like a small step from that to "we should all be destroyed."

I dunno, a self-hating Kindred seems like the most natural thing in the world to me.
Huge numbers of people profess with their mouths constantly that everyone, or everyone save a small rare few, are lovely poo poo shitbirds who should not exist. They rarely even include themselves in the rare few! Yet there are very few people engaging in active and organized malice (though it may not seem that way).

In the wise words of Lestat: "Ah, Louis - after all these years... STILL WHINING..."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Joe Slowboat posted:

Does that hold in Requiem as well as Masquerade?

And what happens if a ghoul is getting topped off by different vampires with different clans?
The latter case is discussed in a conversation on independent ghouls - who are in fact just as desperate and weird as they sound. I think the main thing is that they have to drink a relevant clan's blood to get access to any Disciplines other than Potence.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ulmont posted:

This may have changed with various editions, but at one point ghouls always had access to the 3 physical disciplines (Potence, Celerity, Fortitude), and only the non-physical disciplines were more difficult / required other blood.
I thought that was Risen, but they may have just been generally hinting that if you are a supernatural dead guy in the material world you can do some crimes along these cosmic rules God built into the universe.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

PC ghouls are also somewhat busted at very low XP totals, since they immediately get 5 discipline dots. My ghoul had Dominate 5 in the first game, when all other fresh licks were 2/1/1 at best
They were real loving stingy with Discipline dots.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

It actually feels realistic that the story of Hardestadt's diablerie has become more and more convoluted with the passing of centuries when it's just 'Tyler ate him.'
Was Tippecanoe involved?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Everyone posted:

Diablerie is pretty much the essence of "rob from the rich and give to the poor."
Explain the last part

The entire thing is lossy as gently caress! It really does hold together as a goddamn curse from stem to stern, from a certain point of view.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I'd say you want to think first about what you'd have the most fun playing, or roles you think you can lean into with your personal presentation, but I'm generalizing from other long-form games I'm in, and your requirements may be quite different.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What does that mean?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjB8XXw9y70

but it's got a new word in front of it, you see, and somewhat fewer flamethrowers.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

That... isn’t really a thing that happens? When are you ever going to have more than three or four?
This happened in several of my real-life games - 15 minutes is an exaggeration but it was so loving expensive to put together combos and note together keywords that people would often end up either just saying "gently caress it, blowing the wad on dice adders" (my strategy) or looking everything up (several other player's strategy) or improv-rapping to fish for a three die stunt instead (one guy's strategy.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I don't know about V5 in specific but vampire blood was always kosher for our Ventrue brothers before then. Potentially also those demi-ghoul revenants the Sabbat had laying around.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Warthur posted:

On the other hand, I feel like sticking to the current level of crunch is a highway to extinction for the game. I know literally nobody who's particularly into Ex3 who wasn't previously into Ex1 or Ex2, and a game which doesn't recruit new fans to replace anyone who's dropped out is a game which is doomed to increasing irrelevance. (Particularly since I know plenty of people who've walked away from Exalted; it feels like a fanbase which has suffered severe attrition and is now down to a tight core of committed fans, who aren't necessarily enough to keep the lights on.)

Doing both is a sensible way to do it, so long as they don't completely drop the ball on the design of Essence. Shadowrun Anarchy was a good idea in principle for very similar reasons, but was horrible in execution.
Yeah I literally can't stand the idea of trying to play 3E because I know for a drat fact that I would spend more time creating the character sheet than playing the game, given the attrition rate of online campaigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mendrian posted:

Yeah this is basically the perfect compromise.

If I was doing oWoD Malks from the ground up I would give them a sort of shared hallucination/communication problem as well, which makes perfect sense with the lore, without all the bad parts of, 'describe your gimmicky and offensive take on mental illness!'
Making Dementation related to some kind of super-Auspex that actually leans into advanced telepathy (instead of the relatively simple core applications in Auspex) would make sense. You can also keep some of their reputation etc. (which might be important if you want to draw on the entire weltanschauung of V:tM, or work in a campaign) by saying "many Malkavians preyed on the mentally ill, and may have assumed they were cursed by God to be mad, etc."

A lot of the material seems to loosely suggest that the really old Malkavians don't exactly match the derangement model anyway.

e: better idea, make the Toreador a Malkavian bloodline