Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Loomer posted:

Was your Ghoul's domitor 4th Gen?

Nope, Ghouls just start with 5 dots in any combination they want of Celerity/Potence/Fort and any of their Domitor's clan disciplines (other than Thaum and other spellcasting stuff). The tradeoff is, Ghouls can never have more than 5 total dots of disciplines, so if (like me) you start at Dominate 5, you're basically SOL for any other disciplines ever, while vampires can, yknow, spend XP to get more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Shrecknet posted:

Nope, Ghouls just start with 5 dots in any combination they want of Celerity/Potence/Fort and any of their Domitor's clan disciplines (other than Thaum and other spellcasting stuff). The tradeoff is, Ghouls can never have more than 5 total dots of disciplines, so if (like me) you start at Dominate 5, you're basically SOL for any other disciplines ever, while vampires can, yknow, spend XP to get more.

Ghouls can only have one dot in a discipline unless their domitor is below 8th generation, increasing by 1 point for each point below 8th.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Isn't the highly-hinted-at official answer "Hardestat the Elder, who Hardestat the Younger secretly is"?

Yes. it comes up in "Gehenna: the Final Night" novel which surprisingly holds up, Hardesat has a moment or something where it comes up that he is in fact The Younger and has just been presenting himself as his sire.

I want to say it's early in the book, but I'm just about to the end so I don't remember exactly, but I do remember that bit of info.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Loomer posted:

Ghouls can only have one dot in a discipline unless their domitor is below 8th generation, increasing by 1 point for each point below 8th.

True as of VtM20th, never seemed to be the case in the early Mind's Eye Theatre and isn't really specified in Revised (which admittedly refers you to the specific ghoul book for more details).

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Loomer posted:

So here's a thought. When the Camarilla was first proposed, no one was that keen. It took the diablerie of Hardestadt the Elder the next year to really cause sufficient panic to get people on board. Hardestadt was a powerful, powerful figure and somehow a raw neonate ate him.

So our question must become, who behind the scenes manipulated these events? Who desired the formation of the Camarilla sufficiently to sacrifice one of their most powerful pieces in the jyhad? The obvious choice is an antediluvian, but I think the better story comes from the Tremere, the other initial proposers of the Camarilla. The Camarilla is then figuratively built on an act of kinslaying and betrayal, and best of all, it's the kind of betrayal that would give real meat to any game as a slowly discovered plot thread.

What happened to the neonate who ate Hardestadt?

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

As usual when that sort of thing happens, Hardestadt gets to walk around in a crappier dead meat suit with a face that doesn’t match.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

UrbicaMortis posted:

What happened to the neonate who ate Hardestadt?

That was Tyler, and she's been roaming around ever since just fine. The whole Hardestadt thing is a mess of retcons, mistakes, and attempts to spin those into a coherent narrative but Tyler is Tyler and, as far as anyone can tell, really did eat Hardestadt just fine.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Loomer posted:

That was Tyler, and she's been roaming around ever since just fine. The whole Hardestadt thing is a mess of retcons, mistakes, and attempts to spin those into a coherent narrative but Tyler is Tyler and, as far as anyone can tell, really did eat Hardestadt just fine.

All that matters now is Hardestadt got his dumb face blown off by the cool and good Theo Bell and is dead.

gently caress Hardestadt, and the Camarilla right along with him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

It actually feels realistic that the story of Hardestadt's diablerie has become more and more convoluted with the passing of centuries when it's just 'Tyler ate him.'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dawgstar posted:

It actually feels realistic that the story of Hardestadt's diablerie has become more and more convoluted with the passing of centuries when it's just 'Tyler ate him.'
Was Tippecanoe involved?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Calvin Cooledge was a Tzimisce who diablerized his wife and child. All of Vermont is fairly rife with Assaku, actually.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Well Goons, tonight I take all that I've learned from this thread and my time reading the V5 core and the storyteller guides and begin my first chronicle of Vampire as a storyteller.

I'm nervous because I haven't run a game in about a decade and that was 4th Ed D&D, but I'm really excited and my players have some really fun characters I can't wait to see in a action.

I'll post a report tomorrow after I have a chance to listen back over the recording for notes and such.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Gonna be a rough transition to a system as flawed as V5 from something as unimpeachably perfect as D&D 4.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

Was Tippecanoe involved?

Sadly no, but Tyler is the childe of Robin Hood if that helps.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Dawgstar posted:

Sadly no, but Tyler is the childe of Robin Hood if that helps.

Diablerie is pretty much the essence of "rob from the rich and give to the poor."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Everyone posted:

Diablerie is pretty much the essence of "rob from the rich and give to the poor."
Explain the last part

The entire thing is lossy as gently caress! It really does hold together as a goddamn curse from stem to stern, from a certain point of view.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Nessus posted:

Explain the last part

The entire thing is lossy as gently caress! It really does hold together as a goddamn curse from stem to stern, from a certain point of view.

Well, the poorer in generation, anyway.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

So aside from downing a whole bottle of red wine by myself last night, our first session of V5 went really well, my players were really into it and I got exactly the reaction I was hoping for when introducing the multi-legged "John Carpenter's the Thing" ripoff monster.

Which was "Nooooope nope nope"

I'll give a proper write up after I've had a chance to listen back over the audio, which I'm going to clean up, add music and sound effects to and release as a podcast in the near future.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Where might one find an online game to join? I played a bunch of Vampire back in the early aughts and recently got interested in WW games again and bought all the v20 versions and most of the 2e CoD books.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I think next tabletop i run everyone starts off as a Mortal writing for a local tabloid who, for Reasons, is well respected amongst local supernatural populations. Maybe the publication is secretly run by a wily Setite, who knows. The gimmick is each game they're sent to report on something supernatural and have to both get a good story while preventing widespread havok from ruining their town.
Maybe everyone has a Magic Item that keeps them safe from outright physical violence (unless they strike first) just to keep things from immediately getting bloody off the bat, something that shows the local gribblies that they can hang.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Yeah man i fuckin loved Kolchak, the Night Stalker too

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Does Captain Planet count as a mummy

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Shrecknet posted:

Yeah man i fuckin loved Kolchak, the Night Stalker too

for whatever reason i got it in my head that that was actually just a run of the mill cop show so i guess i know what i'm watching next!

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

for whatever reason i got it in my head that that was actually just a run of the mill cop show so i guess i know what i'm watching next!

Holds up surprisingly well, I just watched it for the first time about three years ago. Pretty sure the whole thing is on youtube, or, at least, it used to be.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
So, as I close in on the finale of the Project, I thought I'd do a little bit of quick and dirty market research. When I publish the timeline, what would you rather see? A narrative approach, where I tell the stories involved as one cohesive narrative (where possible, and several where it isn't), or a straightforward list of events without any larger narrative threads?

The difference between the two is that the first is presented as a conventional history, while the latter is almost a wiki style 'it's 930AD, here's all the things that took place'. The former, obviously, is more work for me but also allows more opportunity to flex my narrative muscles and earn the five bucks I'll put it up for.

Let me know. Feel free to distribute it to other WoD friends and such.

EDIT:
On a side note, as for why not just use the wiki instead? Well, I just did a random pick of 20 years. The wiki has 3 entries that equal the number I have recorded, and 17 that have less information than I've got down. Just like the bloodline files, this is the most comprehensive resource around.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 18, 2019

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I’m paying regardless, but gently caress yea gimme that narrative telling

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Xinder posted:

:same:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Xinder posted:

This

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

If you do both and increase your asking price I’ll pay it. Otherwise I’m down for whichever.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Both are really helpful, but as a research tool for people trying to set up their own games, the strict timeline is generally the more useful, as long as it's annotated. For example, the similar Forgotten Realms product is a strict timeline but tells you when the next and previous events about a particular thing are, so you can follow a line of all the stuff about Waterdeep. Source references (especially now that everyone can just text-search PDFs) are the other missing component to that to make it super useful.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Offering both if I do write the cohesive narrative is fairly straightforward as the bare timeline one - meticulously cited in AGLC4, to boot (currently to the tune, IIRC, of something like 4500 individual footnotes, many containing multiple references) - is what I’ve been working on already, and it’d be simple to put it up separately from or even packaged alongside an interwoven ‘grand narrative’ style approach (with the same extensive citations, of course). It’ll still exist as the reference document for the narrative style, afterall.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I don’t ever see myself playing cWoD again, but I would read the narrative version and probably buy a strict timeline too. It’s the thing that it was missing for me as l came into it in about 1998 and the history was just confusing and well out of a high school budget to ever catch up. So I never did.

$5 for it seems cheap to me too, especially considering just how much pure information that will be there. I’d easily pay $10-15 for it, because it’s going to be quite the tome and it seems a much more appropriate price for such a thing.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Loomer posted:

Offering both if I do write the cohesive narrative is fairly straightforward as the bare timeline one - meticulously cited in AGLC4, to boot (currently to the tune, IIRC, of something like 4500 individual footnotes, many containing multiple references) - is what I’ve been working on already, and it’d be simple to put it up separately from or even packaged alongside an interwoven ‘grand narrative’ style approach (with the same extensive citations, of course). It’ll still exist as the reference document for the narrative style, afterall.

Yeah I'd love to have both. The time line of events would be an excellent reference tool and the narrative bits would definitely make it easier to draw things into a game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I have been wanting to play Kindred of the East again lately. What an odd thing to think about in TYOOL 2019.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you or a loved one has vocalized interest in kindred of the east, you may be possessed by a spirit of Orientalism and be entitled to financial compensation.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
From this weekend's Mage LARP...

"Carrie is the story of a bad Hermetic Awakening. Change my mind."

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Carrie is clearly Verbena.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I have been wanting to play Kindred of the East again lately. What an odd thing to think about in TYOOL 2019.

There are posters in the VTMB thread who still play it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I'd need to buy the various .pdfs for it, but I kind of want to look at that game again. Maybe it's a false memory, but one thing I recall is that while the Western kindred came off as whiny wannabe Anne Rice characters, the Eastern Kindred came off as "Yeah, maybe they used to be, but these are very much not human beings any more."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Everyone posted:

I'd need to buy the various .pdfs for it, but I kind of want to look at that game again. Maybe it's a false memory, but one thing I recall is that while the Western kindred came off as whiny wannabe Anne Rice characters, the Eastern Kindred came off as "Yeah, maybe they used to be, but these are very much not human beings any more."

Unfortunately, that’s not because they were undead, but because they were Asian.

KotE is unspeakably racist.