Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How mad are you going to get when I call your favorite Pokemon unviable?
5: I will set the entire cloud ablaze with the heat of my rage!!!
4: I will be quite rankled, and will have no problem telling you as much!
3: I'll be a little upset, and might debate you on it.
2: Disappointed, but I know my faves are bad.
1: I don't know gently caress about poo poo.
View Results

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

rannum posted:

They took almost every good TM and put it into a one-use TRs that you have to grind Raids (OR grind watts and pay the big fake-bucks for them from a random daily selection) for, which you have little control over, don't spawn many per day and the matchmaking is garbage and I have myriad other issues with Raids.

Meanwhile TMs became a dumping ground for all the middling moves and just absolute trash. Oh boy Screech. the best TM addition was probably putting the punches there, but that only goes so far. Even late in the game I was picking up TMs and wishing I hadn't bothered.

This got me curious so I looked up the TM/TR list to see what each has, and:

1) There are 99 of each, so good loving luck getting the TR you want for your team.
2) The only moves on TMs that deal more than 75 with no negative side effects are Mega Punch/Kick, and those have trash accuracy. Otherwise you have Hyper Beam/Giga Impact, Solar Beam/Solar Blade, Fly/Dig/Dive/Bounce/Phantom Force, and Explosion. You want something with actual punch that doesn't have a way to screw you over? Better grind out TRs.

Hell, Surf is now a TR. Surf. The move that has been really good since gen 1 because you can toss it on everyone without having to worry about TM limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

If you want to see what lands a pokemon into a given tier, the Pokemon Competitive History series helps break down how they performed in any given gen.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

PMush Perfect posted:

My only regret about doing pure screenshot instead of video is that I can’t actually show off the mini games. (Unless I make videos literally just for that, I guess??)

Could make for a fun bonus update. Quick vid of all the mini games with some subtitled commentary.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Damanation posted:

Could you take advantage of the cinnabar island glitch to actually get one?

Probably. You can get pokemon that are over level 100 with that glitch, and if memory serves you can rare candy them until they go past 255 and overflow back to level 1.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

S.D. posted:

As someone who's never played Pokemon Stadium, how good/bad are the rental Pokemon? It was sort of gone over in the first and second gym updates (middling stats but a weird mix of 'bad' and 'really good' skills), and Brock was a giant wall because of how the challenge was set up (pokemon are boosted to level 50 but don't have the additional stats from EV experience), but how does the final team that rolled over Fasslp compare to the rentals, at least stat-wise?

Compare these two from the final team:

To their rental counterparts:

Weaker statwise across the board (60 less Special on each!), and significantly worse moves.

Why the gently caress is Hypno rolling Counter?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

To give a point of reference on Stadium 2 rentals:

Fully evolved poke at level 50 running Tackle and Growl.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Randalor posted:

Okay, I'll bite, why is the giant dopey shield-wolf less viable than his base form?

My guess is that Crowned form means dedicating Zama's item slot to it, which doesn't give enough of a boost to justify losing an actual held item.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Wait, how long did it take for people to figure out that Body Slam can't paralyze normal types?

End of 2014, according to a quick google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

EorayMel posted:

I am still glad this thread showed more people the wonders of stadium nicknames, the best part of stadium after the minigames and announcer :buddy:

Whenever I go camping, I make sure to bring