Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The tories are still putting their manifesto together and it'll piss off half of them with line 1 being HARD BREXIT OR BUST. Labour have been ready to go since before the conference season, with actual thought out policies.

Boris' clown act doesn't work when he's supposed to appear 'prime ministerial' and all he's got other than that is sour faced poshery. They've got themselves convinced that because their echo chamber only cares about Brexit that the general public isn't sick to death of hearing about it and will welcome hearing all the actual ideas Labour have. Even if they're not sold on them at first it's something different to grab the attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Angepain posted:

I am surprised. I'm surprised Boris Johnson has been let near enough to actual people for it to be possible for them to boo him. I trust they won't be making the same mistake again.

It's gonna be May II. Its so funny they just started huffing their own supply and somehow thought bojo is gonna be a good campaigner when it's his legit unique selling point that he's a bumbling oaf who fucks everything up

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
i suffered through this, so in the spirit of communism, i expect you all to do the same

Votes for 16-year-olds is a completely undemocratic idea

featuring a certain Mr. B. O'Neill calling the Lords, quote, "follicly-challenged", and claiming that teenagers being concerned about climate change means they're not rational enough to vote

and for those who prefer the Twitter link
https://twitter.com/spikedonline/status/1189059353933946880

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

jabby posted:

Why are the Tories always surprised by their own elections?

They still don't have a vision to expound, Boris can talk about trade deals and free market capitalism all he wants but that's all old hat at this point and without substance (certainly nothing to put in a manifesto), he's literally failed to get Brexit done like he promised and if they promise to spend on services then they're just undoing the damage they've done in the last 9 years. They're completely boxed in on issues apart from 'continue to make things worse for people' and now they're having to scramble around for something that sounds good which isn't contradicted by something they've done in the recent past and that's slim pickings.

It worked for Cameron in 2010 because New Labour was shite and people wanted a change after the Great Recession happened, it worked in 2015 because the Lib Dems were poo poo and Miliband wasn't critical enough of Tory policy and they hammered home literally everything they had left in 2017 and only just held on to being the largest party with total media support during the campaign.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Tsaedje posted:

The tories are still putting their manifesto together and it'll piss off half of them with line 1 being HARD BREXIT OR BUST. Labour have been ready to go since before the conference season, with actual thought out policies.

Boris' clown act doesn't work when he's supposed to appear 'prime ministerial' and all he's got other than that is sour faced poshery. They've got themselves convinced that because their echo chamber only cares about Brexit that the general public isn't sick to death of hearing about it and will welcome hearing all the actual ideas Labour have. Even if they're not sold on them at first it's something different to grab the attention.

Joris told the 1922 committee they would be campaigning on his deal, not a hard Brexit. Whether or not he sticks to that is a different question, but either way it'll piss of half the Tories.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Vitamin P posted:

Can you copy the text for peeps without paywall blocker? I want to get angry.

Someone's already copied it, but one of the things I enjoy doing is loving up stupid paywalls using chrome developer tools. Sometimes (NY Times) it's deleting a div and removing the css class hiding scrollbars from the main content body. Sometimes it's even easier and for some reason the developers have hidden a skip button off the left hand side of the screen.

Literally, click that and you get the full article.

E: Beaten by someone just clicking the stop button :argh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I didn't even see the paywall lol.

I think this may have been because I've installed a blocker on my router that routes network requests for adverts, malware, and other stupid poo poo to a black hole, or it may be because I have all their lovely scripts blocked.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The weird thing is I don't think the tories need be that boxed in. Just loving lie and lie and lie, they won't be called out on it.

Square the circle by saying austerity worked and now we can spend again, promise poo poo loads for the NHS and schools and environment. Then combine this with promising to make life worse for Muslims, black people, criminals and young leftie lovvies.

I think this is cummies strategy so I don't know why theyr having such a hard time all of a sudden, maybe they're panicking now the election is actually happening and labour haven't just died on the spot but appear to be rallying.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
lmao, that's 3 ways to get around their dogshit paywall. love to be governed by the competent

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It's also fun that twice in a row they've called an election expecting to crush Labour and both times its backfired.
Only this time there's less despair (read the first pages of the uk c spam thread, it was started for the 2017 GE iirc and its just nonstop misery)
This time the red dogs have been loosed and were all starved and baying for tory blood

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

great piece, any thoughts on england finally getting around to an independent regulator for their housing associations? on the funding side HAs are considered private to allow access to private loans, but are public in effectively any other aspect (inc. FoI in scotland come mid november)

with regards to grenfell stage 1 there's been a lot of effort to make a centralised record on every high rise in scotland, but less activity down south.

there hasn't been a great amount of media spread to owner occupiers but the tolerable standard for all housing in scotland is updated and enforced feb 2021 with the private rent fire safety standard:
- 1 smoke in the main living area (generally the livingroon for non-goons)
- 1 smoke in the hall/main circulatory room per storey (includes loft if converted to a habitable room)
- 1 heat sensor in the kitchen (or per kitchen...)
- all the above are interlinked (one goes off they all do)
- ceiling mounted (unless the manufacturer says otherwise)
- mains w/ battery backup or a tamperproof lithium battery rated 10y (or the same lifespan as the detector, these used to substantially vary...)

you've likely saw every council/ha rushing around to upgrade their entire stock to these exact specs since feb (or earlier if they were confident the draft legislation wasn't changing), and since it's the tolerable standard it could effect your mortgage or insurance

I'd rather see HAs abandoned altogether. Either spin it down to per-estate or even per-block cooperative freehold (although that requires a committed and involved population otherwise they become an even bigger magnet for corruption than HAs) or give it back to the councils. Keep the democratic structure of the good HAs and have them report to the council (and hold them accountable) by all means, but even the very best HA will fundamentally be less efficient than a council.

My big worry about the Grenfell report is that it will lead to a change from shelter-in-place to defaulting to evacuation, which is going to kill shitloads more people than at Grenfell even before you factor in that developers will completely abandon compartmentalisation. In fact, given what a pain proper passive fire protection can be, I'd be astonished if the building sector weren't somehow involved in this push to blame the LFB and the inevitable "fixes" that will come after.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

CGI Stardust posted:

lmao, that's 3 ways to get around their dogshit paywall. love to be governed by the competent

bonus method 4: Reader View in Firefox

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Personally I think the Tories have misread the main thrust of their campaign.

They think everyone is sick of Brexit, so they think they can win by spending six weeks focusing on the message 'Get it Done'.

I think everyone is sick of Brexit, so they definitely don't want to spend six weeks talking about it. The Tories will face resistance every time they try to turn the conversation back to it, and the election will be fought on other issues.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Happy Brexit Extension everyone :toot:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doccykins posted:

Boris still has an hour to keep his promise.

(The ditch one)

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Guavanaut posted:

I didn't even see the paywall lol.

I think this may have been because I've installed a blocker on my router that routes network requests for adverts, malware, and other stupid poo poo to a black hole, or it may be because I have all their lovely scripts blocked.

Oh my god teach me how to do this

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Doccykins posted:

Still 55 minutes for Johnson to surprise us all yet.....

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
have the documents for EU freight changed

where do I check

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

The DPRK posted:

https://pi-hole.net/ Has all the guides. You can prob build one for £20 second hand?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Angepain posted:

bonus method 4: Reader View in Firefox
how. how are they so bad at this. i don't understand any more

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

It takes the skill of an absolute mental genius to write an article that both advocates for aged-based voter suppression and has splashes of absurd Islamophobia in it.

I hate The Spectator so much, it's unreal.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Clive Lewis soooo good on Newsnight.

'Wont someone stick up for the good billionaires?' 'Im sure there are some but I can't think of any on the spot.'

'One of your MPs said there shouldn't billionaires, surely you don't agree?!'
'Sounds fine to me.'

Inject this into my veins!

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Made this lovely edit and thought the thread would like it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Zalakwe posted:

Clive Lewis soooo good on Newsnight.

'Wont someone stick up for the good billionaires?' 'Im sure there are some but I can't think of any on the spot.'

'One of your MPs said there shouldn't billionaires, surely you don't agree?!'
'Sounds fine to me.'

Inject this into my veins!

Interesting tactic by the media to focus on Labour being anti-billionaire, let's see if it works out for them

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rarity posted:

Labour being anti-billionaire, let's see if it works out for them

anti-semitism being broadcast in real-time smdh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The DPRK posted:

Total Meatlove posted:

https://pi-hole.net/ Has all the guides. You can prob build one for £20 second hand?
pi-hole is also good, I just put pfBlockerNG on my enterprise grade pfSense router (a £30 HP thin client off ebay lol) because I didn't want any other hardware at the time, and NoScript on my browser.

painted into a coroner posted:

Made this lovely edit and thought the thread would like it

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1190039075706814464

:agreed:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Genuinely a little surprised the Tories have been caught so fully flatfooted by this election. I sure as hell didn't expect any good policies (Except promises of Big Spendy for the NHS that nobody would actually believe) but I did expect them to have... policies. They're not even out there touting they can get Boris's excellent very good wonderful withdrawal bill through if the Tories get a majority.

Also lmao that Trump sticks his oar in to say it's a lovely deal when the Brexiteers want him to be King, and also having a go at Corbz when that suits him just fine because what better endorsement?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Shame Labour are only talking about taxation and not, you know, guillotines. But still, you love to see it!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

It's impressive that Trump managed to tie Boris to both himself and Farage politically, AND poo poo on his Brexit deal, all while trying to help him.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ms Adequate posted:

Genuinely a little surprised the Tories have been caught so fully flatfooted by this election. I sure as hell didn't expect any good policies (Except promises of Big Spendy for the NHS that nobody would actually believe) but I did expect them to have... policies. They're not even out there touting they can get Boris's excellent very good wonderful withdrawal bill through if the Tories get a majority.

Also lmao that Trump sticks his oar in to say it's a lovely deal when the Brexiteers want him to be King, and also having a go at Corbz when that suits him just fine because what better endorsement?

Also don't forget the little gem tucked away in The Times in one of their extracts from the Thatcher book where it added something along the lines that Johnson has a plan to solve 'social care' permanently but that the cabinet do not want it revealed until after the election (on the assumption they win) from which I infer the plans are not conducive to an election win.

I'll see if I can find it again. I did post a link here a few days ago but don't have search. (One day I will upgrade!)

Also FT: (haven't checked out the article, but this is on the front)

quote:

Trump brands Corbyn ‘bad’ for Britain
US president’s intervention unlikely to be seen as helpful to Boris Johnson

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Also don't forget the little gem tucked away in The Times in one of their extracts from the Thatcher book where it added something along the lines that Johnson has a plan to solve 'social care' permanently but that the cabinet do not want it revealed until after the election (on the assumption they win) from which I infer the plans are not conducive to an election win.

I'll see if I can find it again. I did post a link here a few days ago but don't have search. (One day I will upgrade!)

if his proposal is Logan's Run everyone who hits 65 I could be persuaded to vote Tory

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

At least with Theresa May's spontaneous decision to have an election the tories had an excuse for being unprepared.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Ms Adequate posted:

Shame Labour are only talking about taxation and not, you know, guillotines. But still, you love to see it!

You love to see Clive Lewis particularly talking about it. He's been too quiet but the man could be a potential Not poo poo leadership candidate down the line.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ms Adequate posted:

if his proposal is Logan's Run everyone who hits 65 I could be persuaded to vote Tory

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo that'll be me in the next few years and I am living til I'm 136 so there.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

CGI Stardust posted:

how. how are they so bad at this. i don't understand any more

Actually it's just if you go through literally any effort to circumvent a paywall, you weren't gonna pay anyway, so they don't care

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Still 55 minutes for Johnson to surprise us all yet.....

Fairly sure it was CET so 2300 our time was the deadline.

Even the time of the Glorious Brexit Future is being hosed up by those barmy Brussels bureaucrats!

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Hmm it seems like around a third of Lib Dem voters hold their nose when doing so because the LDs smell.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ms Adequate posted:

gently caress it, stick with the original 30. I'll show myself to Carrousel willingly just to get rid of these fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

gently caress it, stick with the original 30. I'll show myself to Carrousel willingly just to get rid of these fucks.

Actually in the book it was 21