Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JewishWorker/status/1189968679980679168?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Palestine.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Surprise T Rex posted:

Does techy computer stuff come under the research, or support team?

CGI Stardust posted:

Ooh ta, bit of programming of whatever type is something I might be able to do ok. Assuming that's the "support" role?

Yeah, I think that’s under “support”. If you think you might be in the wrong group once you get contacted, just let them know and they’ll sort you out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1189968900185821184?s=20
https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1189971287478882304?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

lol so if everyone who wanted Labour to win voted Labour then Labour would win the seat.

Genius.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ratjaculation posted:

Aye this is real good.

Counting down to the people saying she's too well spoken to be a student, obviously a Labour plant

already like 3 of them in the comments, and one guy saying if she really wants to protect the nhs she needs to vote libdem

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Surprise T Rex posted:

Is there much of a call for tech work on a volunteer basis, either for Momentum or Labour? I'd like to get involved doing something, but I fear that computer touching is possibly my only valuable skill.

Oh gosh yes. I'm afraid the Labour Party is extremely 'average member of the public' when it comes to IT / social media.
I'm one of the most IT literate in our CLP. I mentioned before some analysis I sort of started on polling station level voting (though as I have had other matters on my hands for the last few months I've abandoned it for now and won't get to do more before this election. I will pick it up again though when I've finished moving home for ongoing strategy.

Also, another example, just 'awareness'.
For example, our candidate (not sitting MP) has started a wordpress.com blog for their thoughts. Someone has suggested buying up several relevant domain names and pointing them at the blog. BUT you can't point domains at a wordpress.com (free blog) unless you buy them through wordpress.com. (Try it - all you'll get is errors). So what I have suggested is that they buy the domains, make a simple single index page for each domain that has links through to the blog (which you CAN do). But I just don't have time to do it. Anyway, one of the others' young son has said he can do it but he was someone who wanted to help but is very reclusive. This speaks to his talents though!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 31, 2019

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Tories should get Gillian McKeith out as a public face to tell everyone that the Tories have been fantastic with the NHS.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Looks like I've got a new crush :swoon:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So the six o'clock news just showed the clip of Corbyn saying the Tories want to sell off the NHS.

And Keunssberg (in voiceover) immediately said "Of course the Tories don't have plans to do this".

Amazing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

For example, our candidate (not sitting MP) has started a wordpress.com blog for their thoughts. Someone has suggested buying up several relevant domain names and pointing them at the blog. BUT you can't point domains at a wordpress.com (free blog) unless you buy them through wordpress.com. (Try it - all you'll get is errors). So what I have suggested is that they buy the domains, make a simple single index page for each domain that has links through to the blog (which you CAN do). But I just don't have time to do it. Anyway, one of the others' young son has said he can do it but he was someone who wanted to help but is very reclusive. This speaks to his talents though!
Couldn't you just bung a 301 redirect into the .htaccess file for the domain you were going to put the index file on, so when someone visits goatsay.domain they get seamlessly redirected to goatsay.wordpress.com without having to click?

That way you're not pointing the domain, but you don't need the index or extra click.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Flipswitch posted:

What is JessPhillips funding exactly?

Her reelection campaign

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

jabby posted:

So the six o'clock news just showed the clip of Corbyn saying the Tories want to sell off the NHS.

And Keunssberg (in voiceover) immediately said "Of course the Tories don't have plans to do this".

Amazing.

SKY and BBC are gonna go all in this time round, corbyn isnt a joke anymore and now the election is actually gearing up they have reason to be frightened.

the BBC of course, being a government mouthpiece, does this anyway, but Sky can take a more hostile tone to the tories when there isn't an election running now. but now the election is here its gonna be full class interests time for the rich and watching out for their jobs for the BBC crowd

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

jabby posted:

Amazing.

Isn't that lying and violating the laws on media reporting that kick in when you have an election?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Couldn't you just bung a 301 redirect into the .htaccess file for the domain you were going to put the index file on, so when someone visits goatsay.domain they get seamlessly redirected to goatsay.wordpress.com without having to click?

That way you're not pointing the domain, but you don't need the index or extra click.

As far as I was able to ascertain when I tried to do it with a freebie blog of my own, you have to pay wordpress.com a hosting plan to get it to accept a domain 'forward' or 'redirect'.
The htaccess method is touching the upper limits of my tech ability.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Isn't that lying and violating the laws on media reporting that kick in when you have an election?

They're only obliged to give each party equal time, not fair coverage.

And if you ask the Tories they will deny having plans to sell off the NHS, therefore the BBC can officially say they don't.

Also notable they didn't play any of the stuff about 'which side are you on?' which was apparent the best part. Labour best keep repeating that.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

forkboy84 posted:

lol so if everyone who wanted Labour to win voted Labour then Labour would win the seat.

Genius.

People like to be on the 'winning team'.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Guavanaut posted:

That's a bit more custom than just DNS entries, though, and requires a server for the bounce step. Unless there's some place selling that as a service?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Communist Thoughts posted:

SKY and BBC are gonna go all in this time round, corbyn isnt a joke anymore and now the election is actually gearing up they have reason to be frightened.

the BBC of course, being a government mouthpiece, does this anyway, but Sky can take a more hostile tone to the tories when there isn't an election running now. but now the election is here its gonna be full class interests time for the rich and watching out for their jobs for the BBC crowd

They'll try to poison the water as much as possible before the postal votes go out because the postal voters might already have decided and post them back before the campaigns crank into full gear and the 'reporting custom and practice of equal time' kicks in.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
tbh, save for IT focused groups, with average-person volunteers it is better to put together the moolah to just sign up to somewhere, unless your group is just you and five mates or something. This is generic interest group advice, not necessary a party political thing (although it applies there too)

reason is simple: backend stuff that other people have very little visibility over is a font of mischief. The most likely of which is just the relevant individual getting bored and ghosting. If it's big enough to have an exco, it's big enough to have a website budget and a mailing list. Free is organizationally expensive

still, on the blog note specifically there is nothing wrong with a .wordpress or .typepad domain. Hell, Medium built its success on even subdomains no longer being a thing.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

they're really more guidelines and nobody of consequence will be punished for them either way unless they lose, so its in their material and class interests to go as hard as possible here, the fake polls are one thing but this is real now. its gonna be a true test of media v reality.

the guidelines also don't stop bias or anything as far as I know, just means they have to show traitor corbs as much as saviour bojo, at least thats what i read ITT

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Set up on a independent hosting solution (IIRC BlueOcean does one with all the hosting stuff preloaded) and get your software through Wordpress.ORG. Then you can do all the pointing, redirects, extensions, custom themes you like for free.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/SteveNickSmith/status/1189971754145472514

Jesus Tapdancing Christ

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ornedan posted:

That's a bit more custom than just DNS entries, though, and requires a server for the bounce step. Unless there's some place selling that as a service?
I assumed they had a server for the bounce step, that's where the index page with the link on would be living.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that Taki again?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hey just because he's an open fascist who praises the Wehrmacht and has his own site full of racism and homophobia too severe for even the Spectator. I forgot where I was going with this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

thats what i get for not refreshing

https://twitter.com/HKesvani/status/1189981376076013570?s=20

Jose fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 31, 2019

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

the ghost of brexit deadlines passed

yeah i know it's more a christmas joke but still

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

somewhere on their site it says that they've done a poll of 46k people

no you can't see the results, that would be ridiculous

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, I think that’s under “support”. If you think you might be in the wrong group once you get contacted, just let them know and they’ll sort you out.

Do you know much of what the video clipping team is doing?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Is that Taki again?

It's the other obvious answer, Rod Liddle.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

loving hell

https://twitter.com/luisgonzaloseg/status/1189617301286461443

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Boris just now : "We have an oven-ready election, let's put it in the microwave"

Looking forward to debates.

Also lmaoing a lot at Trump telling Big Nige that Corbyn would "take you in such a bad way"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nigel Falange.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Zinvor/status/1189656646986948608

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Stop moaning and get in there and debate them. Its the only way they can be defeated.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And the last of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards, checkmate.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

And the last of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards, checkmate.

Corbyn's hand is strong and masculine, yet smooth as a velvet child

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Purple Prince posted:

Set up on a independent hosting solution (IIRC BlueOcean does one with all the hosting stuff preloaded) and get your software through Wordpress.ORG. Then you can do all the pointing, redirects, extensions, custom themes you like for free.

I do that for my personal websites, but I have sadly tried to bring my clp kicking and screaming into the 19th century. Our CLP website at the moment is hosted free on someone's server and he hand codes it in HTML (which I can also do and a couple of my sites have done so). He will only work via one person in the CLP and everyone is scared stiff of upsetting him. He has however done a link through to our candidates blog so that is something.

I did a presentation to our exec on the wonders of wordpress and so forth including screen captures of other CLPs' websites in action, but I'm afraid to say the response was 'we can find what we're looking for on ours' (yes but can non-member interested persons?) - as our beleaguered clp secretary said to me afterwards 'this lot think a biro is high tech'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

josh04 posted:

Do you know much of what the video clipping team is doing?

Not really, but I’m sure they need people.