Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

VideoGames posted:

I will do my best to endure. There are also plans should the worst happen and I start to go all Diablo.
It involves monster munch and feeding me the one true evil flavour. The regulars will know what to do. :)

Won't that just turn you into a monster that likes munching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

gh0stpinballa posted:

hopefully swinson's obvious agenda will serve to poison the enthusiasm of lib dem voters. already seeing some of them looking again at that voting record and putting 2 and 2 together.

I suppose that's just a matter of how many lib dem voters are tories who hate brexit and how many actually don't want to kill the poor so house values increase :shrug:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

gh0stpinballa posted:

what i think (hope) we'll find is lib dem supporters who are only there for the brexit culture war realising they've been had and that the lib dems are still the same party as before but with a thin smear of remain progressivism over the same old anti-left, tory-lite ugliness. the piss diamond cult is irredeemable but i think there are a fair few potential labour voters to scoop up there.

It's possible, I just worry a fair chunk of them will turn out to be Cameron-esque tories.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Rarity posted:

Can confirm that I am also Angepain, Miftan, Tesseraction and ronya.

I like to think that Rarity to ronya is a sliding scale of wrong opinions (sorry tess you voted leave).

This is my yearly birthday post for all thread posters. Happy birthday to all of you except the bad posters - you know who you are. (happy bday Ms a and solefald)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

How has 'poggers' crossed over into non-twitch related things :psyduck:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

FYI where I work may day was moved to Friday for next year and isn't may day anymore it's V-Day. As in victory. Something about ww2.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

It's the date of unconditional surrender from the German forces. 8 days after 2 shots rang out from the Hitlerbunker. Sometimes called VE-day for "Victory in Europe" day since America still had some Asian civilians to genocide.

It's bullshit is what it is. It's a major issue for part time staff wrt pay and I'm pretty sure they haven't even notified everyone yet so good luck if you've booked a holiday for May Day.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Rarity posted:

So according to Google poggers is an alt-right thing?

Well it's a twitch thing so yeah that sounds about right.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Deep twitch lore itt

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

floofyscorp posted:

I looked up the origins of pogchamp/poggers recently because I had to explain to my manager why our youngest programmer says 'pogchamp' when he's excited about something.

It's silly. A streamer won a pog tournament and his expression of triumph was funny enough to turn into an emote. That's it.

I find it bizzare that Internet culture is now just regular bullshit people say and do. Back in my day we got bullied for that kinda thing!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

coffeetable posted:

tangent, but: some friends were chatting about the being-bullied-for-nerd-interests-which-are-now-cool thing the other night, and at least in our case hindsight has revealed we were actually being bullied for being awkward/weird/undersocialized. then there was a feedback loop where we dived into certain insular interests because no-one wanted to hang out with us, and then you get a cycle of bullied -> insular interests -> undersocialized -> bullied.

e: and thinking about it now, the awkwardness/weirdness/undersocializedness had some direct contribution to being chosen as targets, and some indirect contribution because it meant we had no allies or alternate group to escape into

I think there was quite a big overlap, but people were definitely, at the very least, dismissive of video games /trad games as stupid etc

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

bump_fn posted:

no they were saying its being trad cath thats stupid

tbf that would probably get you bullied in most Israeli High schools for sure

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Camrath posted:

Talking of which, when's the planned release? Got to drive from London to north of Wigan for a larp thing tomorrow and could really use good talking-noises to keep the M6 from driving me to suicide.

Recording today AFAIK, might be out tomorrow or Friday depending on our benevolent editor and his mysterious whims (read: insomnia)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Miwk Media
New York

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Queen Elizabeth II enters the room. She is also a boat.

How can she be a boat and a mace at the same time?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

Brenda is the oldest-known Transformer. No wonder she hangs out with Anthony Hopkins.

Well she needs more grounding imo

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

Mushrooms are loving weird when you think about it

That is an eyeball shroom, are we even looking at the same picture

Don't bodyshame him.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

White and gold or blue and black?

This mushroom is clearly 50 shades of gray

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Always though bread with oil and salt would work out pretty well calorie-per-pound-wise.

Put some garlic and butter on that poo poo, throw it in the oven, and I could probably eat just that for the rest of my life

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Get Tae/To gently caress chat has been fascinating, but none of it explains what in the hell ISF meant with Get The gently caress.

Probably the same thing.

Comedy answer: it's not going to get itself! :dadjoke:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

sebzilla posted:

It's more the "live in my house and pay 92% of my mortgage for me" factor.

Yeah and I'd definitely give Corbyn poo poo for that, especially considering his wage.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Lord of the Llamas posted:

By this logic nobody should live with anyone ever pretty much. If your landlord (or flatmate, or spouse,...) is acting lovely you're probably going to want to get out of that situation as soon as is reasonably possible; knowing your rights is obvious an important part of that.

Well the article sort of implies it includes bills and it's hard to make a subjective judgement on the price without knowing what normal rents are in that area. I just think it's ridiculous to dogpile on this and act as if it's exactly the same as BTL landlordism and it therefore unadulterated a priori evil when it's not.

I'll give you that it's not as awful as BTL landlordism, but charging someone money in order for them to have a place to live is a priori evil imo

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Lord of the Llamas posted:

We don't know how reasonable or unreasonably the £400 a month is. The £436 payment on a 30 year term suggests a mortgage of around £90,000 which may or may not be a large proportion of the value. And as already stated it's possible that includes bills too. I just don't agree with the "it would be morally superior to leave the spare room empty than ever rent it out" logic going on here.

I think very few, if any, people are saying to leave it empty, comrade.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Bobstar posted:

We lived in our rented flat in London for 7 years. The management wasn't too bad, compared to some of the stuff you hear, but most years we'd get a letter that boiled down to "the rent is going up because everybody else is doing it!"

Remember, if there's such a thing as a "fair price" for accommodation, then it's fair in the absolute (or maybe relative to wages?), not relative to the ~~market~~

...are there places where that doesn't happen?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

I'm actually intrigued by the moral ramification of this thing and where the line in the sand gets drawn to the point where someone becomes bad. All these are hypothetical questions w/o a real case in mind.

1) Let's say: you have inherited wealth in the form of an apartment because your parents/grandparents/relatives generation was wealthier, but are now living with a minimum wage job and have no other forms of income. You decide to rent the second room in this apartment to someone to make sure you/your family are able to get to the end of the month. Are you a "landlord" (in the sense of "all landlords are bad")?

At what point in the slider scale you go from being "bad" to being "good" in this scenario?
2) What if you need some life saving medication and the only way you could afford it is by renting (aka: you are leveraging your capital to meet an unavoidable need)?
3) Would making your room available at X£ to someone who would otherwise be renting a room somewhere else at nX£ be ok (aka: you are making someone happy, but you could make someone happier)?
4) All form of private property is theft, but we live in a world where 99% of what goes on is based around private property. Where do you draw the line between "be the change you want to see in the world" and "there is only X I can do change the world?"

I'm not going to poo poo on someone for using the resources they have, in this system, to make sure their/their family's needs are met because we all do this. We all benefit from others having a lovely time (especially wrt the third world) but that doesn't mean that it's 100% ethical. On the other hand if you don't need that money to live and are just making a profit/making someone else pay your mortgage then you're an rear end in a top hat, yeah.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

But that's not to say we shouldn't try

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently it's from "government documents" that came up in a court case? Rather than from johnson himself.

Yeah the "article" (it is 4 lines) is very unclear and this isn't "breaking news" by any stretch.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Rarity posted:

Rent strikes, good if you're a corporation actually

Good and smart if you're a Corp, bad and stupid if you're a prole is literally the neoliberal anthem.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

:eyepoop:

Miftan fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 4, 2019

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Aphex- posted:

Didn't Metallica headline glasto the other year?

:can:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Actually, yeah, looking into it, antisemitic blood libel does seem to be the oldest major conflation of wealth and vampirism (a literary example would be Shylock in The Merchant of Venice, whose lust for coin is transformed into a lust for blood). It dates all the way back to the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, if not further. The Vampyre seems to be the first time it was repackaged into a more sanitary and less racist form.

Again, excluding Dracula, because sheeeesh.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

A remarkable number of European mythological monsters seem to be derived from Jewish people - dwarves and goblins are as well. We do actually have a racist fictional monster that emerged quite recently, though - orcs as stand-ins for black people date back to the 1970s, although they also draw on a fair amount of inspiration from interbellum fantasy.

Aren't Tolkien Orcs supposed to be a stand in for East Asians? That's 1940s iirc

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

They don't even need Corbyn as interim pm. They can just pass a law saying 'this person is now deputised to ask for an extension and we're having a GE on this specific date also suck it boris'

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Rustybear posted:

Right but then Boris gets to frame the whole GE as 'I tried as hard as possible and those traitors in parliament connived to stop me' and his base will go nuts for it.

The sight of Ken Clarke or Soubry or whoever gets gulled into being that deputy will galvanise every single gammon the length and breadth of England to march through snow and ice to tell them where to stick it.

Probably yeah, but if it comes down to Oct 31st its still better than no deal

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

ronya posted:

somewhere, nozick's chin itches

Nah, the dead aren't scheduled to rise until November 1st. Gives a whole new meaning to p-zombie though.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

ask her opinion on monster munch

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Western imperialism bad, Midwestern imperialism good.

Just wait until you hear their opinions about Middle Eastern imperialism!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Guy is originally from the Middle East so I'm eager for this actually!

... Where in the middle east?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

How am I getting both blamed and praised for the headline about that lunatic who shat himself after eating chocolate oranges :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I had like 3 jokes lined up and you fuckers beat me to all of them.