Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Do we have anyone from Inverness here? I'm thinking of making a significant change in my life and following my dreams of living in the Highlands, curious if any goons can recommend living there. Work would be a concern obviously. Are the English generally welcome up there? I ask that cos my mum lived in North Wales for a bit and wasn't terribly welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

As long as you're not a prick you'll be fine

Cool, I am not a prick

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Yes and I have lived in the highlands for most of my life, and I have never, ever heard of someone from england/wales/wherever being made to feel unwelcome. Inverness especially relies heavily on tourism and locals love to meet people from all over the world, it is an incredibly open and multicultural place. A lot of people who live and work here are english, and literally nobody cares or bats and eyelid, it's achingly normal.

Great to hear, thank you!

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I've only been visiting but I thought inverness was the least highlandsy bit of the highlands, its pretty much just like any small city. I thought a good compromise would be Fort William which is a small town thats extremely highlandsy and beautiful but still has shops and modern comforts. If i were going to live anywhere up there, I'd pick there, but like I say I've only visited, I think theres some highlands goons who could tell you better and probably tell me I'm wrong.

I've been living in Scotland for about 7 years now and I've literally never had any grief for being english, including when I'm slagging off their rugby team in pubs or supporting labour in front of hardcore SNP supporters.
The most I've ever got was working nightshift when some people would go "You're english, eh? Don't worry I won't hold it against you," and I'd say something about being a fleeing refugee and we'd laugh and that'd be it.

Yeah I figured it'd be pretty similar to your average town/small city. But would have the advantage of being my best option for work, while still being close to the highlandsy highlands that I actually want. I'm not really sure yet what the best way to actually approach the move/job situation would be.
Fort William looks amazing and even better located for my reasons for moving, and only a bit smaller than the town I live in now. I'd just worry about finding work cos I'm a worrier

e: dangit

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

I get not wanting to live in Inverness, I sure loving don't want to, but you're really not far from "proper Highlands". Especially if you drive you're looking at 15 minutes and your down the less visited eastern side of Loch Ness. Even if you don't drive you can jump on a train or bus and be in Aviemore sharpish.

I read that Inverness gets near the top of those happiest places to live polls, no idea if those are really worth anything. Regardless though it'd be the sensible choice for me if I went through with the move.
Thanks for the input people

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
I just want him to lose everything forever

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

OzyMandrill posted:

Where's the best place to buy PC's or components these days?
Used to use Novatech but they seem out of stock of half the stuff these days.

I've always gone to Scan or Novatech, usually splitting between the two when buying for a build. Scan are pretty good ime.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
God I love me some Corbs. It feels like we're on such a precipice at the moment, I'm hype but goddamn do the results of failure in this election look dark.

On a tactical.vote note, I'm in Somerton and Frome, this was the 2017 and they suggest Lib Dem. It's pretty close between them and Lab - thoughts? I want to vote Labour obvs but there's not much promising info on the constituency website.

Conservative 36,231 56.71%
Liberal Democrat 13,325 20.86%
Labour 10,998 17.21%
Green 2,347 3.67%
Independent 991 1.55%

I left Facebook earlier this year, but while I was there almost no one on the local group had anything good to say about our landlord-MP, even those who hated Corbyn for whatever lazy reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
Don't do it to yourself friend