Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Seriously, why the gently caress did the judge even allow that to be considered. Hope she dies in prison.

I expect the judge was following the law by not denying to a criminal defendant an instruction that was supported by evidence that came up in the trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I tend to think that most (almost all) people are capable of empathy, even if it doesn't necessarily shine through all their other personality defects / defense mechanisms. I'm no fan of cops, and certainly think that this sentence was justified, but I always feel a bit uncomfortable when people start celebrating the misery of others. Guess I'm just a big ol' softy.

Do Flynn next!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Flying_Crab posted:

So, lawyers. How close is this to actual obstruction of justice?

I'd go for the more straightforward witness tampering.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

I'm not up on Texas sentences, but that's pretty average for murder in NYC if you have no priors.

Texas is clearly different because the juries deciding the sentence is not a thing in New York.

Not average (for non LEOs) in Oklahoma. (Which also has jury sentencing)

hobbesmaster posted:

joat mon in the detainment thread says that the way Texas decides between first and second degree murder is that the jury picks the appropriate sentence during the penalty phase. The potential range for 2nd degree murder in Texas is between 2-20 years. I wonder if the jury just said "ok we think its 2nd degree, just take the middle of the range I guess, lets go home"

This jury did not find sudden passion.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

Does Texas take prior convictions into account? Prior convictions can turn a no-jail felony into significant time.
For first degree felonies, it looks like one prior turns 5-99 into 15-99, two or more into 25-99.

hobbesmaster posted:

Then 10 seems odd? Minimum is 5, prosecution recommended 28, right?
Yes, yes, yes.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's what happens when you, with drat loving good reason, spend centuries establishing civilian control of the armed forces as a paramount principle of governance and instilling that into the armed forces.

Bingo.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Dark matter converted into houses across the breadth, width and depth of the cosmos, until in the past two seconds before the heat death of the universe, comes a voice:
But whatabout that time he didn't say "bless you" when somebody sneezed?!?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

JFC, then I'm glad I've never donated money to them. I actually just listened to a good podcast episode on housing and homelessness that made the incredibly obvious point that housing insecurity makes it infinitely harder for the poor and destitute to overcome the other challenges they face.

Housing is a human right, y'all.

But if they meet your donation conditions and move to a model where they give a house to everyone who wants one, they'll fold in a week and you'll have no one to donate to.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Check out the Wikipedia page for Trump Towers Istanbul:

quote:

Trump Towers Istanbul are two conjoined towers in Şişli, Istanbul, Turkey. One of the towers is an office tower, and the other a residential tower, consisting of over 200 residences.[1] The complex also holds a shopping mall with some 80 shops and a multiplex cinema. They are the first Trump Towers built in Europe. The property developer is Turkish billionaire Aydın Doğan, in a license-partnership with American businessman and current United States President Donald Trump. The complex is considered to be one of the most prominent in Istanbul.[citation needed] Many businesses based in Europe and the Middle East occupy the complex.

The residential tower includes the only collective wine cellar in Turkey, with a capacity of 16,800 bottles. The cellar is built by Focus Wine Cellars.[2] According to a press release, the wine cellar has the capacity to hold enough bottles to hold all the blood of the thousands of Kurdish soldiers that trump is allowing to be slaughtered by the Turkish offensive in Northern Syria.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Dam's breaking. Another impeachable offense leaked out, this one way older, Tillerson-era. Rudy's involved, Tillerson got the ask.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1182060489406324739

Was this before or after Zarrab rolled?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

SquirrelyPSU posted:

4:57 a mile for 26.2 miles :stonk:

It's 4.57 minutes, but 4:35 in minutes: seconds. :stonk::stonk:

Or 9:10 for a two-miler, 13:45 for a 3.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Some of you guys have some doctor seuss creations turtling over you.

Sounds like you've perfected that marijuana/ergot hybrid.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

In case you haven't met your RDA for WTF for today:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/swamp_land/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Also the NYC Mayor also said n-word wops on live television today lol (the actual word)

This is the dumbest manufactured tempest in a manufactured teacup I've heard in a while. Like Jacob Wohl levels of dumb.

He was quoting this NYT article.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

Warrens last round of questions kinda made me sour on her. This means testing poo poo has got to end, and loling at Automation not being a significant contribution to a loss of jobs as I make money at a company whose job is literally program poo poo to make a lot of people redundant.

What does means testing mean to you?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

colachute posted:

Lmao I appreciate that the military has officially become the enforcers in our mob protection racket.
Smedley Butler would like a word with you.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

He didn't actually say the Rome thing and even if he did it's not even in the top ten worst things he's said this week.

One version of what Trump said is

quote:

The United States and Italy are bound together by a shared cultural and political heritage dating back thousands of years to Ancient Rome.
Which would be bog standard "thank you for the opportunity to visit blah blah blah" language for pretty much any Western head of state visiting Italy.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

except the incumbent does have a huge advantage and the GOP has not slowed down on its voter disenfranchisement.

And continuing the "there's clearly no way he can win" mantra is a great way to get lukewarm voters and purity fuckwits to stay home or throw away their vote in a general election.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

guess they better nominate a candidate that will appeal to the 'purity fuckwits' instead of moderate Republicans!

God, I hope so. But after that, how's that accelerationism working out for ya?

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i'll be voting for vermin supreme, op
A Brush in Every Mouth,
A Boot on Every Head!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Boots on Heads, Not on Necks!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

A hernia, an abscess, a parasitic infection causing his balls to swell, and a bacterial infection as the cherry on top. Jfc :stonk:

I guess you clicked through to the journal article, then.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

They're bombs. They're nuclear bombs in the hands of an unstable fascist country.
So who would we give them to?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Or Mnuchin.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Syrian Lannister posted:

Joined Jan of 90, a month before my 18th birthday, and missed every major deployment while on active and the reserves.

No Deseet Shield or Storm, no Somalia, no Rwanda, no Haiti, and no Kosovo.

I'm the pogiest pog of a remf to exist.
One of the pogiest.
Joined 2 months earlier, got out first week of Sept 2001, and was a judge advocate.
Told my son not to enlist. He now makes more than me in his first job out of college.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 24, 2019

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Is there a time limit on how long somebody can be gone and still be called a 'former' advisor? Is 23 years long enough? How about if you've been actively and specifically working against the Clintons for over a decade?

He's just some Dick trying to rustle some rubes' jimmies.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Internet Wizard posted:

"A modern day King David"

Which checks out given King David's practice of purposefully endangering soldiers so he can benefit from their death

And that's barely scratching the surface. (for David)

Voyerism.
Rape.
Impregnation.
Calls the husband back from the front, expecting he'll have sex with his wife and think he impregnated her.
[But husband won't have sex with his wife because "The army and my men are back there in the suck, there's no way I'm going home to eat and drink and bang my wife while they're still out in the field."]
Gets the husband drunk and sends him him home to bang his wife, but he still doesn't.
Sends the husband back to the front, hand carrying the instructions that required the general to place the husband on point at the fiercest fighting and then for the rest of the army to retreat back, abandoning him to be killed.
Husband is killed. (as well as others who were killed in order to get husband into a risky enough spot)
Marries the widow.
(2nd Samuel, Chapt. 11)

King David: King Jody.

And on the subject of decapitation, after David killed Goliath, he cut off Goliath's head and took it back to the capital to present to the king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

I do it as A) exposure to computers as a kid and B) remember 911.

A) hit all the home, school, GUI and internet access caveats between 81 and 84.
B) my kids do, too

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I'm extremely skeptical of anything that Benjamin Norton, Max Blumenthal or other tankie journalists associated with his Gray Zone project report.

And turning the "valuable consideration" plea bargain boilerplate into "was a CI for the FBI" is a bit of a stretch without some actual documentation.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 30, 2019