Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

You goons can't shake my unwavering belief in the paranormal. Therefore I'm going to quote old posts from SA ghost threads from long ago for rereading. Feel free to mock as much as you want...

SumGayGai posted:

Come on you guys...

Alright, not a long story, but true...

Around where I live there is an abandoned asylum for children. It's all locked up tight now, but we found a way in. Armed to the teeth with flash lights, cameras, and digital tape recorders, we ventured into an area that from the looks of it was where they had school. The windows were high, there were chains on the floor by some rotting wood (we assumed were the desks). We agreed before hand that we wouldn't gently caress around (there were 4 of us) and try to scare each other. One of my friends tripped on a chain and grabbed at the teachers rotting desk, ripping a good portion off as he fell. All of us fell silent. No one moved for about 30 seconds, then I walked towards my friends (I was looking into the hallway). A sound of something crashing resounded through the halls and into the classroom while I was walking. The sound was so loud that I had to put my hands to my ears. One of my friends ran by me followed by the others to see what happened, I followed soon after. I dropped my flashlight when I put my hands over my ears so I had to follow the constant moving light of my friends. When I arrived, I almost slammed into a friend. There in the hall was an old refrigerator, still smoking, that fell through what looked like the teachers lounge wall. We left soon after that, freeked out.

When we arrived at my house, we checked the footage we got. Nothing of interested until we checked the audio recorder. After the crash, we heard a voice muttering unknown words for about 10 seconds, then a whistling sound...

We went back a few nights later, but the cops were there, aparantly the night before, the security guys that make the rounds every 3 hours (we timed them when we were scoping it) found a body crushed under a refrigerator... It was a mid 20's male who they ID'ed as someone who was held at that hospital until it was shut down. We never found out where the body and the refrigerator was since they increased security after that and did not let press into the building. But I swear there was no body when we saw the fridge...

This is a true story!

Hiaseas posted:

I stayed in a jail that was converted into a youth hostile, i think it was in Ottawa. Anyway they say the 7th floor is haunted, thats the floor where they did the executions. 3 people were killed there. I heard a loud noise at night. Which could have sounded like the gallows dropping. Also the nuse sways back and forth ever so slowly

Suicide Pacmen posted:

I don't have time to type out the story at the moment, but my house has the image/ghost/whatever of my neighbor's dead great-grandfather popping up.

I'll try and get the story typed up tomorrow, but until then:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Post more op, this form needs ghosts stories.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Unknown Goon posted:

i have really lovely vision & i see things out of the corners of my eyes a lot. like, hands reaching for me, black cats (or cat like shapes) leaping toward or away from me, all kinds of crazy poo poo. it used to really scare me, but now i realize that i just see things out of the corners of my eyes (beyond the field of my glasses) that are blurry, and my brain translates them into things.

however, when i dormed at UIC, i started hearing things as well. notably, in the laundry room. now, my dorm at UIC (university of illinois at chicago) was on the west side, in what used to be a mental hospital. all the dorm doors still had the observation windows. they had simply boarded them over. classy, huh?

anyway, the first floor is the cafeteria/etc, the second floor has offices and links to another building, the third floor is more offices, the computer lab, and the tv lounge, and floors 4-8 were dorms. the "pent house" above the 8th floor was the laundry room, as well as housing all sorts of electrical rooms. there was an elevator from the 1st to the 8th floor, which was almost constantly broken or filled with urine (yay drunken fresmen!), and then there were stairs leading to the "pent house."

the light in the stairs leading to the penthouse was almost constantly burnt out. now, i eventually got a job with the university, and i knew the cleaning/maintance people. they replaced the bulb all the time, and it burnt out immediatly. it didn't get smashed or stolen, burnt out. there was no electrical reason for it, either... no shorts or anything. i fell down those stairs twice. both times, i swear i felt a hand shoving me.

i used to babysit my laundry when it was washing and drying. i'd do homework or read or paint my nails and keep an eye on my clothes, as the rear end gently caress residents liked to steal laundry, or just pull all the clothes out of machines and dump them on the floor. my friend neil had someone steal ALL his boxer shorts, and more than once i went up to the laundry room to get my dry clothes, only to find that they'd been pulled out of the machine and dumped on the floor while wet, so somebody else could use the machine i paid for. assholes!

anyway, while up in the laundry room, which was a full flight of stairs above the top residential floor, with nothing but roof above it, i frequently heard the sound of a woman crying. there was nobody in the room with me, and it sounded like it was coming from the other side of the many locked doors (leading to supply closets and circuit breakers, nothing else) or from the roof, or from outside the windows... which didn't have anything beneath them. creepy as all hell. sometime's i'd hear low voices and a slapping sound, and then the crying would be louder.

i eventually moved to a different dorm with a different laundry room, and no longer heard the crying. however, when i moved in with morley, i was awakened one night by the same crying sound... a whimpering, drawn out "huuu huuu huu... a hu huu huuu..." sound. it comes from various parts of the building, usually places where nobody is. scary.

But plot twist, the same unknown goon also had this to say!

quote:

some of you might remember the last part of this from the bullshit "i think my apartment is haunted!" thread i posted a few weeks ago. that was mostly made up, especially the radiator that leaked wine that turned into blood. however, i do hear a ghostly crying from time to time. maybe i just exude an aura of depression that causes everyone around me to break down sobbing?

Maybe the other story is made up to? Who knows!

A Different Unknown Goon posted:

When I returned from college, around 92', I worked at a downtown bar that was a ballroom in the early 1920's. It was said that Al Capone and all the other gangsters used to frequent there on a regular basis. Well over time it had been opened as many resturaunts and even at one time was an old movie house.

I started there as a bartender, I worked Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri and Sat til 4:00 am. The weekends were packed, standing room only. The first part of the week we did not get much of a bar crowd. So I would sit there and watch Kung-Foo on USA network and smoke cigarettes. Since I am a big guy, the owner showed me where the gun was and they left. So every week night I was alone from 10:00 pm to 4:00 am.

My first encounter with the ghost came on a Monday morning around 2:30 am (I will never forget this). I was washing the last of the bar ware and starting my closing crap to get out at 4:00. The bar was one huge square and across from the dish well, where we did our dishes, was a corner mirror. On each wall was a mirror that met at the right at the corner. As I was washing everything I could see myself and what was behind me.

Now before I start this I have to say I was a skeptic of the paranormal. I believe in what I see. Well that all changed in a six month period.

Now as I said while at the sinks, I would watch the mirror for anyone who tried to creep in and rob me. This night I look and no one was there, I did not here the sqeak that the front door made. I could always tell when someone walked in by that sound. The next time I looked up there is a huge figure standing right behind me in the mirror. I almost poo poo my pants thinking some thief finally got me. I spin around ready for a fight and nobody was there. I think OK your just imagining things. Little too much on the Stephen King novels. So I go back to work. I look up again, same figure right behind me. This time instead of spinning around I watch the figure. I stands ther and shifts, I hear no sound, It was not a trick of the light, it just stood there while it kinda shifted. I really don't have a word to descibe it. I can see it clearly in my mind but to put it to words is hard. I am 6"3" and this thing had maybe a foot on me. So this time I turn around slowly, nobody, I look back to the mirror and its gone. Now I know what I had seen. It had form and some detail. It was not a shadow or a trick of the eye.

Over the next four years working there, when I was alone, this thing would play games with me. It would cause things to fall, the bathroom doors would open etc, etc, etc. My wife, I met there. She used to come in and sit with me on the slow nights. One night she went into the bathroom, a second later she screams. I run in ready to kill some pervert that I thought had snuck in the ladies room. I meet her in the hall, she is hysterical, couldn't even speak. I go in every loving door in the ladies room (12 doors) are opening and closing in rapid succession. I stand there stunned, and watch this happen for a minute or so. She left never to go back in there unless a lot of people were there.

We have had cleaning people leave in the middle of their shifts, refusing to return to work, unless someone else would be there. The place next to us was renevated from an old ballroom to a concert hall. Denny the manager would not go into the hall unless someone else was there. He told me one night he was booking bands and setting up schedules, he hears a noise outside the office. When he walked out, all the lights shut off and he looks up the grand staircase, descending down the stair case is a female figure that he said "sort of glowed", he also tried to produce the noise the form was making. It was sort of a whispering scream. Needless to say he ran out of there and would never stay late again.

Our cook Jimmy used to do part-time work over there. Setting up sound equipment, cleaning, basically the "everything" guy. We got to talking about the poo poo that happened to us, he starts to tell me that one night, after a Battle of the Bands tourny, he was cleaning up. He went downstairs to grab the cleaning equipment. The closet door slams shut and everthing on the shelf starts to shake violently. The mops and brooms all fall off their pegs and he described a sound of someone screaming upstairs. He never worked there again. The next day he walked into to Denny's office and told him what happened. Denny said he understood and they left it at that.

I used to talk with the manager and the other bartenders, they said since I was the new guy, that's why I got those shifts. They would not work them. They would tell me their the things that would happen to them. Very much the same that was happening to me. I didn't care, I was making money and this thing never touched me, just mind gently caress you. At the end of the night it would try and talk to me, I would be in the office and I would hear someone shout "HEY YOU" or just a low moan or a scream from next door. I know I was the only person when it happened. At closing I would do a walk-through with a flashlight and a 9-iron from my car. I checked upstairs and downstairs, no one.

After a while I used to taunt it to see what would happen. Usually the screaming would become more frequent or doors would open but no harm would befall me. I dealt with that for over four years. I heard and had seen some freaky poo poo. I just took all the shifts that nobody would take. I go back home from time to time and see the old place. The new crowd of bartenders know me, but not all that well. One time I asked this kid about it, he was the new early week bartender. He didn't say anything but just looked at me and he his face had turned white. O yea, he knew what I was talking about.

Well that's my story, never encountered another ghost. Just bringing this back up has made me jumpy and I have goose bumps.
Terrifying!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I've had several ghosts try to scare me but instead of acting freaked out I just groan really loudly and start spanking it. Ghosts can refuse to work shifts too.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
someone repost that one goon who would hallucinate horrifying episodes. he'd see co-workers decay and turn into zombies while having a conversation or a human heart would splatter against his windshield as the surrounding landscape would turn into a barren wasteland on the morning commute

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I'm sorry op.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

More stories folks!

Verloc posted:

These came to me second hand, so I cannot vouch for the validity of them one way or the other:

Back when I was knee-high to a grasshopper, my uncle was something of a... free spirit. He changed wives and addresses on a regular basis, and pretty much lived life in the impulse zone. Anyway, he finally finds a wife-of-the-month-club selection he likes, and settles down with her in a lovely little rental house. (Somewhere in federal heights, close to the turnpike and about 80th avenue, best I can recall. Cologoons should know what I'm talking about....)

Anyway, a few weeks after they take posession, weird poo poo starts going down. Apparently there was something very wrong with the house, like, Poltergeist style wrong. I've gotten yarns from my parents about some incredibly strange poo poo that happened at that place in the month they lived there. Apparenly closet doors had a nasty habit of slamming shut and getting stuck for no apparent reason, espescially when someone was in the closet. He also had to keep the wall cabinet for his dartboard shut and locked, as apparently something liked to open the cabinet at night, and hurl darts willy nilly about the basement. He says he found darts embedded in the walls and ceiling down there, despite the doors and windows being closed and locked. The kicker came about a week before they moved out. Old unc had stayed up late saturday, sipping at grandpappy's cough medicine. He stumbles off to bed, and proceeds to fall into a drunken slumber. He gets woken up by a thump, and sees what he descirbes as "what I took to be a crackhead prowler", or simply a dark shape with nasty red eyes staring at him from the doorway. He flicks on the lamp, and the shape promptly melts away.

Now, as I said earlier, I cannot vouch for what's truth and what's 100% grade A bullcrap here. All that I do know is that that house had a massive overabundance of crosses in every room. (Neither my uncle nor that particular wife were religious people) He had installed on his dartboard cabinet, and religiously locked it after every time it was used. My parents never let me spend the night, and made sure that we never stayed past dark, even if it meant being rude to my uncle in the process of leaving. My uncle also absolutely refuses to talk about anything to do with that house, to this day, despite him moving out of there better than 10 years ago. Fact, or Fiction? Goons, you be the judge.....

An Unknown Goon posted:

These came to me second hand, so I cannot vouch for the validity of them one way or the other:

Back when I was knee-high to a grasshopper, my uncle was something of a... free spirit. He changed wives and addresses on a regular basis, and pretty much lived life in the impulse zone. Anyway, he finally finds a wife-of-the-month-club selection he likes, and settles down with her in a lovely little rental house. (Somewhere in federal heights, close to the turnpike and about 80th avenue, best I can recall. Cologoons should know what I'm talking about....)

Anyway, a few weeks after they take posession, weird poo poo starts going down. Apparently there was something very wrong with the house, like, Poltergeist style wrong. I've gotten yarns from my parents about some incredibly strange poo poo that happened at that place in the month they lived there. Apparenly closet doors had a nasty habit of slamming shut and getting stuck for no apparent reason, espescially when someone was in the closet. He also had to keep the wall cabinet for his dartboard shut and locked, as apparently something liked to open the cabinet at night, and hurl darts willy nilly about the basement. He says he found darts embedded in the walls and ceiling down there, despite the doors and windows being closed and locked. The kicker came about a week before they moved out. Old unc had stayed up late saturday, sipping at grandpappy's cough medicine. He stumbles off to bed, and proceeds to fall into a drunken slumber. He gets woken up by a thump, and sees what he descirbes as "what I took to be a crackhead prowler", or simply a dark shape with nasty red eyes staring at him from the doorway. He flicks on the lamp, and the shape promptly melts away.

Now, as I said earlier, I cannot vouch for what's truth and what's 100% grade A bullcrap here. All that I do know is that that house had a massive overabundance of crosses in every room. (Neither my uncle nor that particular wife were religious people) He had installed on his dartboard cabinet, and religiously locked it after every time it was used. My parents never let me spend the night, and made sure that we never stayed past dark, even if it meant being rude to my uncle in the process of leaving. My uncle also absolutely refuses to talk about anything to do with that house, to this day, despite him moving out of there better than 10 years ago. Fact, or Fiction? Goons, you be the judge.....

An Unknown Goon posted:

When I was in 10th grade, I used to get out of Gym to go to Study Hall since I was on the football team. Anyway, the Study Hall teacher didn't mind if I would leave that room and go to the theater to study, since it was quieter with less idiots. One day, I was in the backstage area, reading through my math book and doing math homework, when I heard what sounded like high piano music. Not really music, but more like someone tapping the two highest keys repeatedly without rhythm. I looked across the stage to where the grand piano was, and nobody was at it, but the key-guard cover thing was down. As soon as I got up to walk over to the piano, the noise stopped.

I got there, and looked at the keys, no movement or anything. I looked in the piano, and the piano wires/cables were absolutely still, as were the little feet things that tap into them. I closed the key-guard, and walked back to my homework. As I was walking back, I heard what sounded like a breath in my ear...that might have been wind or something, since the doors to the theater were open. As soon as I had sat back down, I heard the noise again, this time a little bit louder. I looked back over at the piano, and the key-guard was back up. I didn't think anyone was in the theater, although it was possible, but that floor creaked like a motherfucker, and I didn't hear anybody walking on it. Plus, I couldn't see anyone at the keyboard when it was making noise. (I couldn't even tell if the keys were moving, because the keyboard was clear across thes stage).
Anyway, I packed up my homework and got out. Went to the gym and finished the rest.

An Unknown Goon posted:

was at my ex-girlfriend's house in the Black Forest area of Colorado Springs. It's as creepy as it sounds. Think of a bunch of houses, 40+ years old, all out in the woods, a good 10 miles from anything. Dirt roads, etc. At night, it's dead silent, and pitch black except for stars, as there's no streetlights. Anyway, I'm at her house waiting for her to get home from work, and I decide to make myself a sandwich.

I open the fridge and duck my head in to get stuff, reaching into the meat drawer. I suddenly hear the door slam, and footsteps. I figure "Oh, cool, she's home. We can go out and eat instead." and I close the fridge door. I walk around into the family room, and nothing. The door's not open. No jacket on the stand, no backpack, nothing. I yell "Hello?" and get silence in reply. I KNOW I heard the footsteps and the door slam. It was as clear as day. So now I'm a bit freaked. I start turning on every light in the area, including the TV so I can have some background noise. I walk back into the kitchen.

I open the fridge again, and start getting the sandwich stuff. As I close the door, I hear nothing. That's weird, I left the TV on. I go around back into the family room again, and the TV is off. Ok, now majorly freaked. I walk over to turn it on, and as soon as I press the button, it turns right back off. Skeptically, I think "Ok, the TV is broken" and walk back into the kitchen to finish this sandwich. I hear what sounds like a little girl laughing outside. And I think "Oh, that's it! Her little sister loving did this!" and feeling an immense sigh of relief, I go to the back porch and look out.

Now, the backyard was a mess of trees and unfinished yardwork. The house was on 5 acres, but none of it was landscaped, except for a small garden by the window. The trees were really forest like, but with all the underbrush removed for clear walking through them. I look out to this, about 7-8pm at night, and it's pitch black (since it was winter). I see a light coming from behind a tree. Somebody with a flashlight? I put my glasses back on. No...it's not moving like a flashlight...and there's one behind that other tree too. Oh, poo poo. They're behind almost all the trees. But what is it? It's like a white fog/mist type thing. No shape to it. Just really strange. They're all moving different directions, so the wind isn't moving them. I close my eyes for 10 seconds, and say this out loud "Ok, I don't care what you're here for, I don't care what you're doing, I don't care if you want to stay here. I just want you to never prove that you exist to me. No noises, smells, tastes, visions, or touches. Give it up. You leave me alone, I leave you alone. deal?" and then I open my eyes. They're still there. Aw gently caress.

So I wonder if they're just some fog or something (in the winter in colorado it's usually far too cold for fog) and then I think "Hey, maybe there's like a pack of deer or coyotes out there that are breathing in the cold air, and that's the fog/mist from their breath!" and smile. Ok, that's a good explanation. Leave it at that.

At this moment, my girlfriend comes home, and I'm still staring out the back window at these things. I tell her to be quiet and come here...and look at this. She does, and she goes "What the gently caress!?" and freaks out. I tell her about the Coyotes. She says "Well then let's go make sure they're not eating a horse or something back there." and grabs a flashlight. I decide why not.

We go out there with the flashlight, and these fog/mist things are moving, but there's no coyotes, or anything. They're moving around in random directions, like butteflies would, but slower and more gracefully. Not moving with any wind or anything. When we would walk through one, it would get really, really cold, and you could almost feel like what best can be explained as a fog brush over your face. Anyway, we were even more freaked out at this point, and walked back to the house.

The door to the house was locked from the deadlock. We had to go around front to use the main door...which was also locked, but she had a key for it. Nobody was in the house...at this point

Anyway, it was really freaky, and unexplainable. But I don't know if either story were ghosts.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
aw sick

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Does anyone have the one that ended with a pair of clown shoes in the basement?

I've read a lot of goon ghost stories but that one and goddamn Tandy are the ones I still think about for some reason.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

good thread, creepy, please post more

I dont know if I ever posted mine but I had a ghost thing happen

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Post your ghost things.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

drilldo squirt posted:

Post your ghost things.

THEY don't want us posting horny

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
im p sure a ghost locked me out of my room a few days ago

that rip grandpa ghost on the window is spooks

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Google failed me when I tried to find this years ago, I think it was called "The Shack" or something. It was about this weird shack in an industrial wasteland near some city where no one ever went. The cops came out to look for a kidnapping victim or a drug raid or something and saw something and unloaded at it. Nothing was hit, but there was a section of the shack where the bullet holes stopped, like something soaked them up and vanished.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
There was a goon who posted a story about the Rambledon or something like that. It was a creepy underground music hall or something and it loving ruled.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Soonmot posted:

Google failed me when I tried to find this years ago, I think it was called "The Shack" or something. It was about this weird shack in an industrial wasteland near some city where no one ever went. The cops came out to look for a kidnapping victim or a drug raid or something and saw something and unloaded at it. Nothing was hit, but there was a section of the shack where the bullet holes stopped, like something soaked them up and vanished.

yeah i remember this one

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Yeah I remember it was written by that old fart retired cop who got permabaned for 'well, AKTAULLLY, it's ephobophilia because...'. It's definitely in one of the old ghost story threads.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
also seems accurate because the cops blew like 500 rounds into a tin wall lol

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Wait I think it might be on this site:

http://nothotbutspicy.com/para/

I think a goon owns it? I remember reading about the The Army Man story on that site years ago.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
it's goon because it has a whole section for 50 foot ants creative writing portfolio

some goon stories are real, especially the older ones.

some are alternately-real.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I hope this subforum actually goes for spooky discussion rather than GBS shitposting.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i'm sincereposting and my psychotronic thread is real

my house used to be haunted. Mostly footsteps in the hall type stuff. poo poo moving around while you're trying to sleep.

One time me and a bud were there p late listening to music and drinking, bullshitting. I had this old ancient mantle clock that never worked, but for some reason i never unplugged it. We were talking and suddenly the tv turned itself on and the the clock started grinding its gears and chiming hard as hell.

The tv was one of those old tube ones, and it somehow flipped to a blank channel full of static. It had this thing where it would show the channel as a green number up in the corner and it was somehow a corrupt symbol kinda like ¬. This was obviously pretty creepy but then sparks started blowing out of the wall so I ran my rear end over there and yanked all the plugs.

Nothing else spooky happened that night and I didn't get mauled in my drunken stupor. I have woke up there with scratches on my bod tho.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

value-brand cereal posted:

Wait I think it might be on this site:

http://nothotbutspicy.com/para/

I think a goon owns it? I remember reading about the The Army Man story on that site years ago.

Yeah, it's the Patch in the Basics section, thanks!

I'm hoping this gets some quality spook-em-ups

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Let me see if I can not be a goon and actually repost some more old ghost goon stories. Its the right time of year and all.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The_Doctor posted:

I hope this subforum actually goes for spooky discussion rather than GBS shitposting.

Its an old forum, and used to take itself seriously. I dunno what happened to make the mods announce it tho, unless its being ressurected.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I used to work in a supposedly haunted building in downtown Pittsburgh. Two coworkers told me a story about working 3rd shift (10 pm to 6 am in this case) and hearing a whole bunch of stuff moving around on the floor above them. They figure it's a cleaning crew or people moving cubicles around before the regular 9-5 shift. It gets louder and louder over the course of about an hour, to the point that they finally decide they need to figure out what's going on.

They take the elevator up and see nothing up there. No lights are on, no signs of construction or cleaning or anything, and it's dead silent. They walk around and there's no signs of life at all.

They go back down a floor and don't hear anything else the rest of the shift. The next day they ask somebody if there's construction or cleaning going on but there's not, the cleaning crew worked around 7 pm, way before the noise started. And no cubicles were moved around, no office worked on, nothing like that.

They figured that maybe the noise was coming from somewhere else and the vents somehow carried the noise and made it sound much closer than it really was, or maybe there was some kind of problem with the air conditioner that they heard, but they swear they heard things being dragged around up there and dropped on the floor. That was the one and only time they ever heard anything.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i had an elderly babysitter for years and years, a lovely old widow who was known to date a few nice old timers around our small town. one if these dudes was named Bud and he was old school to the bone. occasionally he would visit her while she was babysitting me, but he would never under any circumstances come into the house- you know appearances and all. he would stand on the porch and my babysitter at the door, neither one crossing the threshold. this would happen about twice a month and went on a few years.

one late afternoon my mother was home that day and we were posted up in the living room watching television. i was on a couch with a view of the front door and saw Bud at the door. I clearly remember saying "Buds here." to my mom, who knew the deal, and was getting up to say hello and tell him babysitters day off when i looked back to the television.

She said something like "Well...where did he go??" so i got up to look for him and his car out front and nothing! weird. oh well he probably saw my mother and made the right assumption and just seriously booked it before we could say anything- whatever.

that evening we learned Bud had unexpectedly passed very near the time of day i saw him at the door

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
When I was very young, my mom worked at a funeral home, and would take me to work with her once in a while. There was this other woman that worked there, among other employees. But she was nice to me, and would take me to the kitchen to give me snacks and stuff while I was there. Just normal stuff adults do when they have to be around a kid at their job. Sometimes I'd notice she wasn't around. Just days off. Normal stuff.

Once day I saw her at the top of this big corner staircase, smiling and taking a few steps down. But I didn't see her the rest of the time I was there that day. There were a few other days like that where I'd see her once at one point in the day, and then she'd just be gone the rest of the time I was there. And I might have said something to my mom, but I don't remember. Later on I found out she had been dead for a few weeks at that point. No idea what happened to her exactly. But pretty sure I saw her ghost there. I think telling my mom about seeing her is how I found out she died.

I've had alot of other times where I thought I saw stuff in my teens and onward. But I'm pretty sure the rest of it is just seeing "shadow people" from lack of rest. And also alot of the other stuff is what I can pretty much confirm as sleep paralysis related stuff.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
This is a great thread idea I'm absolutely here for it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Spooky time.

toybux posted:

THREE ENCOUNTERS
While the ship is in port, most of the equipment in the Reactor and Machinery Rooms is shut down and everything is aligned so that only a skeleton crew is needed to maintain the equipment. In the Machinery Rooms (which contain the propulsion machinery, distillers, and electrical generators) this consisted of one Shutdown Watch and one roving watchstander, with occasional visits from the crewman who was the overall supervisor for the plants.

The Machinery Room has three levels. The topmost level (4th Deck) is a single story high, and there is a steep staircase that descends about 30 or 40 feet into the middle level (called the Upper Level), and another that goes down another 10 feet to the lowermost level (called Lower Level). On Upper Level was a desk, at which we spent most of our time while on Shutdown Watch. There's very little to do while overseeing a shut down engine room, so between about 10pm and 6am, the Shutdown Watch tries fighting against falling asleep, while simultaneously staving off boredom. Unless you're in #2 Main Machinery Room around 2am.

Like I pointed out, there's a long steep staircase from 4th Deck to Upper Level, and it had a "tray" along the underside made of aluminum. It was impossible to "sneak" down the steps, because the slightest vibration would start the aluminum vibrating and rumbling (think about those sheets of aluminum they used to make "thunder" sound effects). When 2am rolled around, the sounds of footsteps and rumbling would be heard, and the tray would be seen to vibrate. Then, there would be the sound of a foot on the metal deckplate and if you were sitting at the desk, you'd then see a man in a khaki uniform stop at the bottom of the stairs, turn to his left to face you, smile and nod, then turn to his right and walk around the distiller and out of sight.

The first few times I blew it off as some watch supervisor doing his tour of the plant, and would wait at the desk to review my logs. He never came back, so I asked about it

"Shouldn't the Watch Supervisor check my records every time he comes down?"
"He should, but he came and checked my records before you went on watch and said he wouldn't be back until morning. When did you see him?"
"About 2am."
"Oh... If you find anything out, be sure to tell us"
Nobody would tell me what that was supposed to mean.

A week later, I was on that late watch again (as the new guy, loser = me) and found myself struggling to stay awake, even with coffee and the ventilation making the place into a freezer. I was wide awake, though, when I heard the footsteps (getting caught sleeping = you are so very hosed). Sure enough, same thing - look, smile, around the distiller. I called out to him "Do you want to review my records?" and followed him around the distiller, but didn't see him. I picked up a phone and called to the control room to have him paged. They informed me he was not in the plant, but had asked for a 5am wakeup.

Next time, I was set to find out what was up with this guy. I thought maybe he was some clueless guy from Damage Control or Deck doing a tour of the ship and not knowing he wasn't supposed to be in a restricted area. I heard the steps, and got up from my desk. I got my first good look at the guy and realized that I couldn't make out a lot of details about him. He walked around the distiller and I went the other way to intercept him. I rounded the corner, and saw nobody.

The guys I worked with told me their experiences were the same, that nobody had ever gotten any response from the ghost but a smile and a nod, and that nobody had bee brave enough to get close enough to him to see what happened when he rounded the corner. If anyone was waiting at the bottom of the stairs, he would not show, and only rarely did he appear to both the Shutdown Watch and the roving Patrol Watch (I tried this on several occasions, and he only appeared once).

2. There are a series of compartments that contain the bearings for the shafts that run from the turbines in the Machinery Rooms to the propellers at the aft end of the ship. Known as Shaft Alleys, they double as auxiliary equipment / pump rooms and storage areas. Two such rooms have steam generators used to produce the cooking and heating steam for the ship. One is divided into two levels, and is accessable by a ladder running down a 7-story vertical shaft. Several hatches are spaced along the shaft.

In that room, the steam reboiler has an alarm panel. When the water level gets too high or low, an alarm sounds. the watchstander then has to turn a knob from "On" to "Standby" to silence the siren. When the water level is normal, another sound is heard, and the knob can be returned to its normal position. I had heard stories about strange workings of that panel, but it had recently been overhauled and was found to be mechanically and electrically sound.

I was working on repairing some valves on the lower level when one of the alarms came in. I stood up and walked toward the steps to the upper half of the room when the alarm silenced. I went back to work thinking that it was a spurious activation (it happened occasionally, and was expected and tolerated, to a degree). Soon, the sound of the alarm clearing came in and was silenced. I checked the panel - all the knobs were in the normal position and everything was in spec. Back downstairs to work, and another alarm came in. i walked to the panel, checked the water level gage, and sure enough, it had risen too high, but was starting to come down. The High Water Level alarm was in "Silence" position. I was the only one in the room, and the hatch above my head was shut securely. A little nervous, I went back to work.

The alarm cleared, and on inpection, the switch was back in its normal position again. This continued for a few more cycles, and each time I investigated, the switches were alternately in normal and standby positions. Getting very freaked out, I turned the switch that cuts the sound of the alarms out and tried to forget the weirness going on above. Fifteen minutes later, i nearly pissed myself when an alarm sounded. Sure enough, when i got there, it was in standby and the cutour switch for the audible alarms was back to normal position.

I had heard some stories about other goings on in that space, such as hoses coming off their racks and falling to the floor next to a pocket under the floor that needed to be pumped out, or ropes and hoses moving back and forth while the ship was still, and then experienced the one that I'd been told about most frequently.

Above me, I heard footsteps on the metal deckplates. A quick inspection of the hatch showed it was still shut. i figured someone had been hiding and was loving with me all along, so I went upstairs to see who was making the noise. Nobody there. I heard the footsteps downstairs and ducked to look (there are only two ways to get from the upper to lower deck, and they're only 30 feet apart). Nobody. I went back downstairs to pick up my things and heard the footsteps above. I shouted out "I don't believe in you, bitch." and heard a few quick steps on the floor moving toward me followed by a slap against my wrist that sent my pen flying across the room. I was through the hatch and up the shaft in record time, shutting and securing every hatch on the way. I refused to go back down there for weeks, and after that, did not go alone.
t, we went out to dinner and tried to forget about this.

3. In another Shaft Alley was a cage with a lot of old equipment. People used to hang out there to smoke and BS, because, although it was against the regulations, it was more convenient than going to the designated areas and nobody ever came down to check out the room. Even so, there was always an uneasy feeling there, and nobody stayed down there for more than 20 minutes or so, claiming that they started feeling "bad vibes". A few times, people who spent time there (myself included) claimed to feel a malevolent presence staring at them from the shadows inside the cage.

INVESTIGATIONS
One friend of mine had his wife send him a ouija board and offered to let us use it. We snuck it into the various spaces we felt were "haunted" and tried to contact whatever spirits were responsible for the odd behavior in the rooms. We got minimal response in the Machinery Room, and I was not present for the attempts in the Reboiler room, but was told thay didn't get much response there, either. So, into the "creepy" room we went.

Jackpot.

We managed to contact somewhere between four and six separate entities, but we suspect that it was two, plus one that answered by several names to deceive us. Nobody else was knowledgeable with religious esoterica, numerology, or Qabalah, so I asked questions on those topics as a test of the spirits (and to be sure nobody was "fudging" the board) with very positive results.

The spirit in the Machinery Room was the first attempt. After determining that it wasn't someone else pushing the pointer, I asked it "Who are you?"

(K - H - A - K - I)

"That's what WE call you, but what is your name."

(No. K-H-A-K-I. M-y n-a-m-e i-s K-H-A-K-I.)

"Is that because that's the name WE gave you? Or because you don't want to tell us your REAL name?"

(Yes. No.)

We could get no further with its name, after several attempts.

"Why do you walk down the stairs? Where do you go after you walk behind the distiller?"

(N-o-t S-l-e-e-p-i-n-g. H-e-a-r l-a-d-d-e-r n-o-t s-l-e-e-p-i-n-g.)

"What happened to you? Were you sleeping?"

(F-i-r-e. S-l-e-e-p-i-n-g. F-i-r-e.)

"And you want to make sure WE'RE not sleeping?"

(Yes.)

"Khaki" didn't tell us much else, and gave vague and contradictory answers about the fire in question. We asked around, but nobody knew of a fire in that machinery room, although it is very possible one did occur. We were unable to find any records of a fire, and when I left the ship, the "walkthroughs" were still going on.

Contact with the thing from the Reboiler was tougher, and at times we were not sure we were always talking to the same entity, so we would test it to be certain. In the end, we were fairly sure that the entity was confused and had a "short attention span". Conversations were very short and it often strayed from the topic at hand, or asked us to sing a song before it would talk. Some of the others tried contacting it under varying circumstances, and told me the only information they got that seemed consistent was that the ghost, who they called Patrick (although it usually referred to itself as 'Me' or 'the Captain') seemed to be that of a young boy who loved ships and who had visited the Vinson and was shown the "machine with the red lights and the siren". It seemed implausable, since civilians were not allowed in the space, and certainly not a small boy. However, the stories, checked by independent testers, came up the same each time. Over a few weeks, he became more talkative, but did not answer many ship-related questions, instead asking us about places we'd visited on the ship.

We tried to speak to the "thing in the cage" and met with a lot of resistance. Either the board would not work, or it would spew forth random letters or obscene words, or it would behave in a very difficult or contrary manner.

We suspected that most of the entities, as mentioned above, were this single ghost "playing tricks". It claimed to be a woman who died in the 1920s (long before the ship was built), a mechanic who died on the ship, and "the devil". When using the board to speak to it, the malevolent feelings grew and people using the board began to feel very paranoid and uncomfortable.

After one "argument" with it about my intentions when contacting it (I h-a-t-e y-o-u. F-u-c-k y-o-u-r n-u-m-b-e-r-s a-n-d q-u-e-s-t-i-o-n-s. W-e h-a-t-e y-o-u.), I did not try to speak to it again. In time, it / they began to ask for specific people to use the board, and would not talk until they were brought to the room.

Six of us held a conference and decided that we didn't want to pursue it any further, as some of the guys were really shook up over the incidents and those seemed to be the ones it most often requested. Our investigations stopped shortly thereafter and my friend took the board off the ship after several of the newbies who had "heard about the ghosts" continued to pester him about borrowing it.

Another toybux story from the same thread:

toybux posted:

Well, I have one to share and although it involves my friend more than me I did get caught up in this whole affair pretty badly.

My friend, let's call her Kiran, belongs to a pretty strict family, rife with rivalry with their relatives who live in India. Many years ago before Kirans birth their was a huge argument between the family, which led to one of the relatives (who was believed to dabble in black magic) putting a curse onto Kirans immediate family. The curse was that the whole family should be destroyed in some way or another.

From that day a ghost of a young boy came to the family and actually tried to kill them all. First he attacked the mother and killed her first baby, he then attempted to kill the father by causing a severe heart attack (twice) and then during the birth of Kiran he attempted to kill the mother and Kiran, but he failed.

The ghost vanished for a short period of time.

Soon they discovered strange things happening in the house, a room in the house where the father suffered a heart attack suddenly became a mass of paranormal activity. For instance, blood or some sort of blood-like fluid would seep up through the floorboards and the ghost of a boy could be seen in the house trying to lead the children away.

Eventually they had this ghost exorcised and they moved house, thinking it was all over, but it got much, much worse.

Coming up to the present day there has been what Kiran describes as a 'demon' following the family, Kiran in particular. I suspected it followed her because she is the child that SHOULD'VE been murdered, and she lived. The demon watches over her every night at her window, it is a pure vortex of evil and blackness. I didn't believe her at first when she told me but then when I realised how pretty drat scared she was by this thing haunting her I decided to try and help.

Since I had recently been 'practising'Astral Projection/ induced lucid dreaming I thought that I could perhaps find out what this demon was. I was pretty ill at the time and because of my inability to sleep I found it much easier to project or enter a state of lucidity. Somehow I entered a state of concentration, purely by accident, where I could 'see' outside of Kirans house, and I attempted to call the demon out to me instead to see if this whole thing was real.

Then the most terryfying thing I have EVER witnessed happened. I saw a shadow move across the top of my window. It startled me at first, but then the shadow approached right next to my window, and I could see its exact form. For some reason it couldn't get into my house (Kiran also said it couldn't get into her house either.) But God it tried, all the windows began rattling, there was tapping on the glass and horrific noises. I was pretty scared for my parents rather than my own personal safety. So taking advantage of the situation I decided to see if I could contact this demon type shadow. I found out that it was a spirit of a teenage boy, perhaps around 16 or so, utterly consumed in hate. He was looking for his mother or just a companion, maybe he thought killing someone would give him companionship, who knows.

Because I know that it's a good idea not to hold burdens against otherworldly creatures I gave it a wish that it would find what it was looking for and that it should be taken away so that he could learn not to hate.

The scary thing is the demon left Kiran... for about a week.

The day before it returned I had the worst dream I've probably ever had, it went like this:

I was in Kirans house and she was making me look at something out of the window. I looked and I saw a horrendous black shadow moving along the sky, it's weird because I never feel emotions in dreams but this time it felt real and I was VERY scared. It's hard to describe what the demon looked like.. if you imagine the blackest black, and a silk-like substance with such graceful movement making it hard to believe it's made of pure hate, then you're close. Perhaps the closest thing I can think of is Madonnas dress in the 'Frozen' video.. crappy comparison but hey, it's the best I can do.
I managed to see the demon up close and it was pretty gruesome, a grey mangled figure of a boy, black veins writhing over him and feeding on him, and he was reaching out for help, which was pretty sad.
There was a message in the dream which was a form the demon conveyed to me, it was the form of the grim reaper. I woke up and phoned Kiran urgently as I felt I had to tell her what the message in the dream was for her own safety, and she told me she'd had a tarot reading the day before, and the grim reaper card kept coming up.

So the demon came back on that night.. it's practically been there ever since, we just think it's going to remain there with her until she lives her life out and there's no escaping it really. But I admire her a lot for being able to cope with it, the only thing is that I'm really really self conscious about the drat thing following me about now, but I guess it was my own fault for trying to help.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 28, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Just so you all know these are coming from ghost threads posted in GBS way back in the day, circa 2002-2003. I literally saved the pages from back then cuz I'm a sucker for a spook story. But we're talking pre-smartphone days for these stories so it really is a look back in time in some ways.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 29, 2020

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So when I was in undergrad my fraternity house was supposed to be haunted, it was one of the first women's dorms on campus when it was built around the turn of the century. The story went that a girl hung herself on the third floor. My room was on the third floor, it was the only place I ever had the sensation of being watched, just when I was on the verge of falling asleep. I told the story to a few people in the house and after I had graduated one of them asked the new guy in the room how he liked it, he told him the exact same thing, feeling a presence in the room when he was trying to fall asleep.

One night over winter break I went to a party at a different part of campus and ran into a friend who had a friend from another school visiting. I asked if they wanted to see the house and they said yes. Score! Me going back to the house with 2 women! We walked into the house and it was snowing. I deactivated the alarm and took them on a tour of the house. When we were in the basement where we held our parties we heard super distinctive footsteps on the floor above us. I was worried immediately, not because of the ghost but because houses around campus get burglarized pretty often. I grabbed a baseball bat and headed upstairs. Nothing. Searched all the unlocked rooms, nothing. I went outside to check the exterior and the only footprints coming to or going from the house in the fresh snow were ours. The girls were freaked out and left.

Third little story. It was about 3am and we had a party that was winding down. At this point people were generally heading up to people's rooms or hanging it in small groups. Suddenly I heard a really loud bang and a people yelling. I got in the foyer and one of the guys was there with his girlfriend and their faces were absolutely white and their eyes were wide with terror. I asked what happened and they told me the library door had suddenly flown open and then a rush of cold air went by them and down a hallway that dead-ended in the downstairs bathroom. The library door was old and you had to lift up and on it and push it to get it to shut. It had opened so violently the doorknob buckled in the drywall where it hit. The light in the hallway didn't work and I took a few steps down the hallway and the hair on the back of my neck was standing up and I refused to go any further, something just felt off. This last one, I admit, could have been the two of them pulling a prank, and if so, hats off to them on their acting jobs because they looked scared shitless when I found them.

Last one, this was right around the time Sightings and Fear were on TV and I ordered an EMF detector from Ebay. When it showed up I tried it and discovered a magnetic field in the middle of the stairwell on the third floor. If you held the meter near the walls, there was nothing, if you held it in the middle there was a field. I followed it down to the basement and the field went away. I took a step forward and the lights went from green to yellow to red, stayed red for a second and went back down to green. Took another step and it happened again. This went on a few more times, sometimes if I took a step straight nothing would happen, but if tried going left, it happened again. This process repeated until I went into the laundry room and then the trial ended. Really bizarre.

Anyways, there's my haunted frat house stories.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Nice! My university had a supposedly haunted building too, Pleasant Hall at LSU. It used to be dorms, but when I was there it was home to the Mathlab (apparently it’s all Admissions and Financial Aid now). Back when it was dorms a student also committed suicide, and now people feel presences, hear noises and whatnot. My friend who worked in the Mathlab said the elevator would randomly open and go up and down all on its own, and would often feel cold (although this is Louisiana and the AC could just have been turned too high).

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Okay, this is my only other one. I don't know that this is a ghost story but I sure as hell can't explain it. When I was around 12 or 13 I built a model F-16 and hung it up by fishing line from my bedroom ceiling. At some point the line holding the nose up broke so the plane drooped down in the front, kind of like it was in a dive. One night I was sitting in bed and it was lazily spinning around in circles, the nose pointed at the ground. As I watched it, the nose started lifting up and in a few seconds the plane was now level again and still rotating, but there was nothing holding up the front of it! Without even thinking I jumped out of bed yanked it down from the ceiling and set it down on the dresser and jumped back in bed and pulled the covers over my head. Nothing weird ever happened again and to this day I can't come up with an explanation of how it happened.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Iridium posted:

My own is pretty tame.

My dad's brother Jim died. Jim had been staying with my grandparents on and off for various reasons, and after he died, dad volunteered to help them box up his stuff. So dad was in the guest room Jim had used, and he was putting something or another into a box. He tells me he had a very sudden strong sense of Jim's presence, and turned around to look out the door into the hallway.

There in the hall was Jim, looking at him. Jim turned the corner and moved on. Dad went to look... nobody was there. The house was otherwise empty.

An interesting not-ghost-related-but-paranormal-and-worth-telling bit, one of my dad's other brothers was mentally handicapped. When I was a wee lad, this other brother, Rich, was going to get a cavity filled. He didn't really understand what was going on and was a bit freaked out. My grandpa took him in the evening to the dentist. My dad, who'd always been close to Rich, was at the same time in a class at night school.

So in the midst of class, things were going well, when suddenly dad felt an intense pain in his tooth and felt like he'd hit a brick wall, fell out of his chair. He sat back down but his face felt numb. After a little while, he was fine. Can you guess the rest of it? That's right, kids, this happened at roughly the same time as Rich's procedure began. Neat, huh?

Geiiga posted:

Why the hemorrhaging gently caress do I always read these threads just as I'm about to go to bed?

I'm from Topeka, Kansas. This is quite possibly the most boring town with more than a hundred thousand people that exists anywhere. Twenty miles away is Lawrence, home of the University of Kansas. Quite a nice town to be in. The quickest way to get from Topeka to Lawrence is the turnpike, but if you're a cheap bastard, you take the rural highways. There are two of these. If you get on 45th street headed east out of Topeka, you'll eventually run into Stull, KS. This village is the most frightening place I've ever driven through, including Bob Jones University.

Stull consists almost entirely of a couple houses and a cemetary. The old church in this cemetary is in ruins; no door, no roof. According to local legend, it's also the home of one of the seven entrances to hell.

Apart from this, there are several mini-legends about the church. If you make a cross out of two glass bottles and hurl them at the wall, they will not break. Rain will not fall inside the church, despite the absence of a roof. And, not so much a legend as a fact, if you so much as drive past this cemetary, the locals will follow you, and, perhaps, shoot at you.

This story takes place almost eighteen years ago, in the fall of 1984. My brother was a senior in high school at the time, and a couple of his friends decided they were going to check out the cemetary one night. They invited Todd, and he declined the invitation, as he had to tend bar that night. Yes, my brother started bartending at age 17. Yes, his boss did give him a fake ID.

They told him the story during an art class the next day, as they were doing self-portraits. One of the girls who went attempted the bottle trick. Apparently she didn't do it right, as the bottles broke as they collided with the side of the building. The rest of the scouting party did it correctly, and the bottles remained intact. Katy, the girl whose bottles broke, had seemed distracted all day, but was now oddly entranced by her work. In my brothers words, "She seemed insanely focused and a million miles away at the same time."

When the class eventually ended, she put her sketchbook down, and everyone stared at it. The following image is (obviously) not the original, it's one I made in five minutes with MS Paint, but it gets the point across nicely: SADLY I DON'T HAVE THE IMAGE

Katy was dead in a car accident within a week.

Yeah I dunno how you make a cross out of glass bottles to throw at a wall. Maybe you bind them or something. Going back and rereading these years later they don't hit the same. Oh well tis the season.

Fuse posted:

When I was five, I remember walking around my uncle's old house, and hearing this voice calling to me from one of the bedrooms. I went in, and followed the voice behind the bed, and saw a small china doll standing behind it.It said Hi to me, and asked how I was doing, and started asking questions about me. then it told me to listen closely, and started in on this barrage of...instructions or something, going on for probably a half-hour. For some reason I wasn't freaked the gently caress out by this little doll standing there and warning/telling me things - I just stood there and nodded my head, feeling like a litle kid does when an adult is telling him something that he knows must be important, but that he doesn't have a clue as to its meaning. Eventually, my mother called me to go home, so the china doll waved, told me goodbye, and I left. I told my mother about it and she said I must have fallen asleep on that bed and dreamed it, or it was one of my cousins playing a trick on me, but I saw the doll move and speak. I remember the scene like it was yesterday, but I can't for the life of me remember a single thing that the doll told me.

A shadow-figure used to watch over me in the house where I grew up, standing between my bed and the door leading to the kitchen. It would only appear for one week, every year, in August, between 1984 (or at least that's when I first noticed it) and 1991. It never moved, spoke, or anything, just stood there still as a stone, every night, for the week that it would appear. It appeared its last time in 1991, the year I graduated from High school. All other sorts of weird things used to happen in that house (but on too small a scale to be mentioned here), which was on top of a wide hill and - if I divined correctly - at the nexus of at least ten intersecting ley lines.

Me and my cousin, starting around...1989, I think, began seeing this black cat in our peripheral vision occasionally, and when we'd turn to get a better look it would run behind something, fast as lightning. My cousin actually caught it watching him one day and said its eyes were bright red. It stalked us for three years, appearing about once a month or so, then stopped until 1996, when we both - living in different areas and not in communication with each other - started seeing it again. My cousin stopped seeing it after a few months, but it kept following me for years, appearing as the cat, then a hawk, sometimes a small round shadow, and eventually settling into one form - the silhouette of a man wearing a hat. This fucker stalked my peripheral vision, usually appearing many times a day, one day out of the month, then started showing hmself just once a day, once every few months, and around 1999 he stopped showing up at all. I am glad this happened.

And lastly...

In the summer of 2000 a friend and I were desperately looking for work, and took a job helping this guy tear the rotten drywall and boards out of thsi old, old, house in the middle of town. As soon as I entered this place I got my "feeling". I knew something was up. But I need to get to work, so I ignored it. So after a couple of hours working downstairs, I climb upstairs to toss some scrap wood down to my friend to load on the trailer. After awhile it got hot and we decided to take a break, so I started toward the stairs to go down and grab a bottle of water. AS I reach the stairs and start to turn, I happen to glance at the window opposite on the wall and standing in front of me is this short, cute redhead, maybe between thirteen and sixteen, just happily smiling up at me. I do a doubletake and she's gone, and I think to myself, "Oh crap." Working downstairs again after the break, I'm pulling out drywall, and I keep sensing my friend walking up from behind me, and when I turn around to see what he wants, no one's there. After the fifth time this happened, I stopped working, and said to the room, "Alright chica, I don't got time to play around, I have work to do. Go away." She left me alone after that.

tobytwobelts posted:

Back in the forties, a girl tried to give herself a coathanger abortion in the fourth floor broom closet of the dorm i live in. Apparently she didnt know what she was doing, because she bled to death and died in the closet. There are reports every year of items moving, sightings etc... but i dont really believe in that sorta thing.

Question: Should I grab mostly every story from these old threads I have saved or be more selective and try to find the best ones?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Coredump posted:

Question: Should I grab mostly every story from these old threads I have saved or be more selective and try to find the best ones?

we all just hope youre having fun

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Coredump posted:

Yeah I dunno how you make a cross out of glass bottles to throw at a wall. Maybe you bind them or something.

Ok you don't have the image, but what was it? you can't leave us hanging like this :ohdear:

EDIT: VVVVVVVVVVVVVV That was just the thread where that goon made a zipline for his half baked summer camp, that would disintegrate children even worse than that one waterslide VVVVVVVVVVVVV

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 1, 2020

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

find the one where a kid went to a haunted summer camp and saw demons in the pits of hell underneath him when he was ziplining

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Varg posted:

find the one where a kid went to a haunted summer camp and saw demons in the pits of hell underneath him when he was ziplining

that's in the page that was linked under either Basics of the first compliation

I say that you only pick the ones that creep you out. I'm going through those collections and there's a bunch of bad stuff or just super obvious creative writing assignments that don't even pretend to be "real".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Who was that guy that wrote the really long ghost stories about being in the military and guarding a haunted outpost or something? Anyone remember that?