Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Anybody have any badass stories of stealing something from your workplace—be it snacks from the kitchen, staplers, maybe even an entire computer :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

a few years ago we somehow ended up with a trashbag full of SATA cables so i grabbed a few of those. v:geno:v

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

no cops in yospos

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
stealing from work is obv your moral duty

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

the logitech performance mx i'm using right now came from my old job's supply closet haha

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i poop on company time

motedek
Oct 9, 2012
when they were giving away old conference room tables for people to take home the intern sold one online for $400 and had people come pick it up

pram
Jun 10, 2001
a lot of cables probably

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

So back at my old job, room where they stored all the server hardware/spares. Usually this door was locked, but if you worked the later shift and checked to see if the door was locked everyday, you would eventually be rewarded for your diligence. Mostly it was full of SAS drives of malformed and misproportioned sizes (as server hardware do) but also regular SATA drives. That and shitloads and shitloads of server RAM. Idk if that stuff could be used as normal RAM even, I don't think it can due to it being ECC or non-ECC (whichever one is bad in desktops).

I also yoinked stuff habitually from the electronics recycle pallet and tested if it was good/still working. Though I don't think this counts as stealing.

Why do you want to know Chill, are you a cop? You have to tell us if you're a cop.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
When I was an IT janitor in high school two of us installed modems into a workstation in our IT room. Free ISP that got almost 33.6kbps from a call across town, and used our school's T1.

I also ran a quake2 server on that computer, pwnin people as the LPB :twisted:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

if you're not stealing from your company by doing the absolute minimum and covering it up with elaborate bullshit then gently caress up out of my mentions

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i used to work with a guy we called Spanky, and one day he walked out of the bathroom carrying a whole package of toilet paper. right past the manager's desk. boss was like "what the gently caress are you doing Spanky, put those back." poor guy was so tweaked out all the time he didn't quite understand that youre not allowed to just take company supplies home for your own use

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

We decommed an EMC Isilon NAS and one of my co-workers "liberated" a pair of Mellanox gigaband switches. Stealing from the government is bad. Real bad.

Rivethead fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 3, 2019

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i steal most of my salary by being bad at my job

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

saving old tech garbage from the landfill isn't stealing imo

in fact you are doing your part to save the planet one VAX at a time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s07wE2qz7Ww
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj6_C_FMD-Q

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

no, youre hoarding

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

we moved to a new building a couple of years ago and while clearing out the old storeroom i was taking home a car full of stuff every week. made a couple of grand ebaying it all.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

its good folks

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

qhat posted:

if you're not stealing from your company by doing the absolute minimum and covering it up with elaborate bullshit then gently caress up out of my mentions

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i worked at a major hardware vendor back in the early 2000s and we routinely had bins full of bad hardware to be either sent back or recycled or trashed or whatever

this was at a time when there was some kind of a copper shortage so prices were through the roof

so apparently they had major challenges with people stealing giant copper heatsinks

(for me, the only theft going on was wage theft on the part of my employer)

burning swine
May 26, 2004

when I worked IT helpdesk in college I liberated a black dell AT101W from the recycling heap :hellyeah:

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Bloody posted:

i poop on company time

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

motedek posted:

when they were giving away old conference room tables for people to take home the intern sold one online for $400 and had people come pick it up

loving smooth :radcat:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a lot of people bring back unwanted drugs for us to destroy and they just go into a yellow sack

it’s not stealing if it’s already considered rubbish is it?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

echinopsis posted:

a lot of people bring back unwanted drugs for us to destroy and they just go into a yellow sack

it’s not stealing if it’s already considered rubbish is it?

it is not. i think of the trash can like an anti-theft demagnetizer: as soon as you put it in, it is of zero value and now you can take it home without causing a ruckus.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
absolutely

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

when I worked IT helpdesk in college I liberated a black dell AT101W from the recycling heap :hellyeah:

I got a beige one from one job but unfortunately it is UK layout

Apart from that, AA and AAA batteries

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
usb c dongles aren’t just going to magically show up at my house

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I cut a piece off some old printed paper with an expired wifi code on it and my coworker accused me of stealing from the workplace when he saw it

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

my house is built from ballpoint pens

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

The Management posted:

usb c dongles aren’t just going to magically show up at my house

I cant even get them to show up at work

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
FACT: startups have bonuses both when they IPO and when they finally go out of business. Sure, I might not have that job any more but I have 8 24" monitors.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
windows licenses and toilet paper

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i also borrow moving head lights and dmx cables

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
wage theft every week

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Smythe posted:

windows licenses and toilet paper

I don't know what thread I'm in but I can't not quote this

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

typing this on a keyboard stolen from my work so long ago i dont even remember which job

meanwhile work has stolen my youth, creativity, capacity for meaningful relationships and happiness

it has a volume knob and media keys tho

the keyboard

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
back in '08 I got a call at 11AM call on a Saturday morning from a friend CJ'ing at a home mortgage company, who said something like this:

'empty the trunk of your car, the company is done and we're getting paid'.

Spent a few hours there, got a 2u quad socket opteron server, a juniper gateway, a 3com switch and all the copper and DIMMs I wanted.

My only regret was not taking some of that sweet SPARC hardware. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

qhat posted:

dont doxx me