Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ShadowHawk posted:

What is the even theoretical justification of this?

Does no one at work use their phones for work?

its just a dick move rule, i think its 'justified' by the 'no heaters or appliances' rule and a combo of the 'dont plug your phone into secured corporate assets' rule

eschaton posted:

company’s payin for power for the company not yer phone

I’m sure that’s it, just like people making minimum wage getting fired for “fraud” over a minute difference in time card numbers is a thing

yeah, thats always been my take on it too

the imminent huh posted:

As a purchaser I really enjoy getting our engineers and my other co-workers something nice and expensing it as R&D materials.

nice! for some reason our smaller purchases are getting auto approved lately so its even a fancy keyboard ordering spree here. maybe the reviewer is also like 'yeah, go for it!' when they see our orders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
my company's office is moving and i could have taken my office chair home

but i was allowed to and that's not the same as stealing. i'd actually be making it so they'd pay less to get rid of it.

so i left it

it was a garbage chair anyway, not even as good as the ones i own already

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Cold on a Cob posted:

my company's office is moving and i could have taken my office chair home

but i was allowed to and that's not the same as stealing. i'd actually be making it so they'd pay less to get rid of it.

so i left it

it was a garbage chair anyway, not even as good as the ones i own already

sell it online, have the guy pick it up from the office

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

then dump another chair there so they still have to pay to get rid of one

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Have you considered stealing chairs from your new office

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

A few years ago the guys on the dock had a spool come in with like 20 DeWalt hammer drills in the void space inside. We called LP with the serial numbers and they were all: "Claim's paid out, make sure they don't show up on eBay." :ninja:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

TimWinter posted:

Have you considered stealing chairs from your new office

:ninja:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I used to work with somebody who would make a copy of all the code he'd written before leaving a job

dude had his entire career on a NAS

idk if that's stealing or not, but there is a certain logic to it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

I used to work with somebody who would make a copy of all the code he'd written before leaving a job

the best part about leaving a job is leaving the code behind

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Poopernickel posted:

i do that for some kind of insane archival reason. i hoard digital poo poo like a maniac

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

literal poo poo

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
yes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rotor posted:

Who steals my sparc steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands.

this post is under-appreciated

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Poopernickel posted:

it is ip theft, the best kind of theft

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
remember, if you are not stealing from your boss, you are stealing from your family

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

“intellectual” property

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ahh some bgp fuckery

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i stole from a place were i was interviewing. they asked me to help them with an expo by setting up a computer and monitor to display kibana charts and maps to show management my capabilities and such (i know it was scammy but the job was backed by a big institution with essentially blank checks). i didn't get the job. they didn't get the computer and monitor. the pc is a trash thick client (good enough for kiosks). but the monitor is a nice big one which i sometimes use.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bulgakov posted:

ahh some bgp fuckery

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

rotor posted:

Who steals my sparc steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i stole from a place were i was interviewing. they asked me to help them with an expo by setting up a computer and monitor to display kibana charts and maps to show management my capabilities and such (i know it was scammy but the job was backed by a big institution with essentially blank checks). i didn't get the job. they didn't get the computer and monitor. the pc is a trash thick client (good enough for kiosks). but the monitor is a nice big one which i sometimes use.

I feel like this deserves some kind of award

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

When I was a teenager there was a guy who tried to run an absentee owner computer repair shop. He hired me and a bunch of my other high school friends to troubleshoot peoples' computers and would occasionally log into a webcam in the storefront to see if the shop was open. He lived outside of the state so we only ever saw him in person occasionally.

He would order anything we wanted off of Newegg so we let him fund the construction of overpriced gaming computers covered in LEDs that nobody would buy, but which we would take home on the weekends to "test." After a long enough time not selling from the shop floor, we'd just keep the machines we'd built for ourselves.

Also, anytime we needed any computer parts we would just pick out parts from the shop floor that we wanted. Most of the business profits came from installing pirated windows installs on customer's machines and then charging full retail prices + shop time.

Now that I'm old though I just poo poo on the clock like an adult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
my college had an Asset Recovery department, and as the tech guy for the student TV station I could fill out forms and grab whatever old servers were lying around and have them transferred over to the studio to add to my lovely video compression cluster.

One day, an optioned-out IBM Z9 Mainframe showed up, with the notable exception of its hard drives. I was stocking up on keyboards, and asked if I could grab one of the RAM books out of it (worth about $20k/ea). The warehouse person looked at it, said, 'Uhm I don't see any university barcodes on it' and I threw it in my trunk.

I came back the next week to grab all 16 of the fiber-optic network cards (worth $10k/ea). The whole machine had been picked bare, and it was just the cool-looking housing left and a power cable about the thickness of your wrist.

Called IBM and the person on the other end of the line ran the model ID, and the only thing that came back is that it was from a config exclusively sold to the federal government, and that the specific SN I had didn't exist in their system.

This was a state university, and there were multiple fully-enclosed rows of servers in the DC where the university admins did not have permission to even touch them and if anything went wrong they "called a number and people show up". I assumed :nsa: and just dropped everything at that point, and now it sits above my fireplace.