  • Post
NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I buy everything I think I'm going to want to read, and then it sits in my giant to be read pile inside the nook app, staring at me sadly.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

Arthurian fantasy should embrace the anachronisms, IMO. Basically all the romances by Chretian de Troyes, etc. projected the customs of the High Middle Ages back into the Dark Ages. TH White’s The Once and Future King has some sort of jokey quasi-alternate history going on where Uther seems to have replaced William the Conqueror, in addition to Merlin being from the future.

When people aim for “historical” takes they often end up with a bunch of unintentional anachronisms anyway, while removing interesting elements. Like the 2004 movie.

Agreed. Rewriting things to suit current mores is literally the most Arthurian thing you can do.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

PawParole posted:

Legacy of Heorot, and I didn’t like the coyote ( the ending was stupid as heck), I loved Heorot.

Anything 2000ish would be swell.

Have you read the sequel to Legacy of Heorot? (Beowulf's Children, I think?) And there's a third, according to wiki, called Destiny's Road.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

General Battuta posted:

I have never received a royalty statement and genuinely have no idea how many books I've sold. I try to estimate from Goodreads review numbers occasionally, but that's basically divining. I imagine it's positive!

If it's anything like the baen free library used to do, the numbers are really really good.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

awesmoe posted:

Hissing, hackles lifting, the chicken’s head rose. Kahlan pulled back. Its claws digging into stiff dead flesh, the chicken slowly turned to face her. It cocked its head, making its comb flop, its wattles sway. “Shoo,” Kahlan heard herself whisper. There wasn’t enough light, and besides, the side of its beak was covered with gore, so she couldn’t tell if it had the dark spot, But she didn’t need to see it. “Dear spirits, help me,” she prayed under her breath. The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn’t. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People’s chickens. But this was no chicken. This was evil manifest.

Never forget that the last Sword of Truth book introduced a major plot hole in the first book.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Legacy of Heorot :getin:

Seconding this. Mount Tushmore is still the most realistic event to ever happen in a science fiction novel. EVER.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Wait what's Mount Tushmore (do I want this answered)

Some drunk idiots use a laser to carve an rear end into a mountain and it's named Mount tushmore.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

quantumfoam posted:

I have no idea what "isekai" is. However here's the full post from SFL Archives 1991
Date: 17 May 91 13:11:37 GMT
From: grweiss@lit.princeton.edu (Gregory R Weiss)
Subject: Ultima V and Donaldson

Has anyone else noticed the extreme similarity between ceratin aspects of
Ultima V and certain aspects of both of Stephen R. Donaldson's
_Chronicles_of_ _Thomas_Covenant_ series ? I'm tempted to think Richard
Garriot (author of the Ultima series) had at least read Donaldson's novels
before working on Ultima V.

In both, the virtuous law of the land is corrupted by an evil being who
takes over the kingdom by insinuating himself in the king's council
(Foul:Kevin Landwaster::Blackthorn:Lord British)
The features of the Ravers and the Shadowlords are remarkably similar;
both possess their victims, are practically invulnerable, and are loyal to
their evil master (Foul/Blackthorn)
Doesn't the green "Gem of Mondain"(?) that is split into three shards
scattered throughout the land remind you of the green "Illearth stone" that
is split into many shards throughout the land?
several smaller similarities which I can't remember. Does anyone else
see any other similarities?

I'm not saying that Blackthorn is exactly the same as Foul, but while
playing Ultima V, I was especially struck by similarities #2 and #3. Did
anyone else notice this, or does anyone notice it now that I mention it?

Greg
grweiss@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
------------------------------

A post from when the internet was good!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Selachian posted:

Seconded. There are a few grim moments but it's pretty amusing.

Thirded because a girl is the main character and there's no actual romance, just really good adventure.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Teddybear posted:

These got deleted, what were they?

They were her comparing her situation to being raped and victim blamed and then confirming that yes that was intentional.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Pennsylvanian posted:

Like, years ago, there was a webcomic thread on the forums where someone posted a comic that took place in fantasy version of Pennsyltuckey and starred a sassy talking lich. Every once in a while I try to find it, but no luck as of yet.

Not sure how sassy he is, but are you thinking of Steve Lichman?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Doctor Jeep posted:

i'm on the 2nd book of the paksenarrion series and i hope she doesn't become a paladin of gird, these people are loving insufferable

Spoiler for later on:
The series was literally inspired by D&D, she's making a contrast between the newer "start as a paladin, have a very stringent code" style vs the older "Start as a fighter, become a paladin, have a much looser code" style.

The Deed of Paksenarrion is great overall, Paladin's Legacy is a little less good, but still pretty good. It just suffers a bit from the many simultaneous mostly separate plotlines.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

ulmont posted:

Counterpoint: Uprooted never grabbed me enough to buy and Spinning Silver bored me to the point of not finishing it...

...but I really liked A Deadly Education.

More or less the same, I haven't done Uprooted yet, but Temeraire bored me into quitting, Spinning Silver didn't get until the third try, but A Deadly Education sucked me in immediately. It's very strongly taste dependent which Novik you like.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

There was one I can't remember the title of right now where it's literally a party of villains (and a druid) questing d&d style to keep law from winning and locking down the world forever, it was so heavily d&d that there's literally a scene where the assassin makes the party hire him to turn on his class features.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Runcible Cat posted:

Eve Forward's Villains by Necessity?

Yeppers, good call.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also hi I just bought several Jack L Chalker novels because my brain has impulses sometimes, and I did enjoy the Quintara Marathon for being batshit crazy.

You can't just not tell us which ones, you drat tease.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Web of the Chozen, Lilith, Midnight at the Well of Souls, and Cybernetic Walrus. I made sure to get a proper spread so I can try his different series.

e: The Four Lords of Diamond stands out to me a lot because the concept of splitting an assassin into four separate people on wildly different planets is buckwild.

The Four Lords of the Diamond is Jack Chalker at his most hosed up, while The Wonderland Gambit is Chalker at his least hosed up. Which is not to say Wonderland doesn't have some hosed up sex and body swapping stuff, because that's Chalker, but it's also really loving good.

I read The Four Lords of the Diamond when I was like 14 and found it in my high school library. I really doubt anybody had read it but me.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

fritz posted:

The only Chalker remember strongly is the 'Soul Rider' series. From what I remember (plus a quick google search), the main difference between those and 'In the Barn' is that in the latter the sex slaves were not previously established characters who got transformed.

Also that In the Barn is about how cool it is to have sex slaves and the other is about transformation and how the slavery part is loving awful. That's a pretty big difference. Chalker's always pretty clear about "this is poo poo people do to others and it's loving horrible look at it"

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Patrick Spens posted:

What are you even talking about? In the Barn is explicitly about how farming and slavery is evil.

That's good at least!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Zore posted:

I'll third the recommendation. Its probably my favorite of her novels.

Fourth, it definitely went a ton easier for me than anything else of hers I've tried. Looking forward to the sequel but it comes out the same night I start my new L5R campaign.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm a big Black Company fan but I've never read Port of Shadows and probably never will. I can't think of a single instance of a writer returning to a character or setting or series after 10+ years away from it and actually producing something worth reading, or that adds anything to the existing body of work. I'm sure there's an exception or two that prove the rule though.

There are, but Port of Shadows is definitely not one. Paladin's Legacy, the much later sequel series to The Deed of Paksenarrion, is absolutely worth reading, though.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Runcible Cat posted:

Nah. Nobody's loving the weird aliens.

Seems unrealistic to me.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Everyone posted:

Basically Night Vale before Night Vale.

It's a cheap remake of the Illuminatus! trilogy.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

branedotorg posted:

Actually rishratha makes perfect sense and promotes harmony and tolerance between races

(Is there a bb code for a creepy sci-fi writer externalising fetishes?)

I doubt it, but we could probably rate authors on the Chalker index

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Danhenge posted:

Well, I'm a straight white guy but the whole of Gideon felt pretty gay (non-pejorative) to me. I'm not sure I'd call it throwaway there. From my perspective a lot of what I see in SFF has the thread running through pretty clearly. It's handled with more or less finesse, but it's rarely quite as minimal as you say. Re: Gideon If "oh, I am gay and you like me, but now I am dead" was a reference to Gideon I think that's a pretty bad misread of what was going on between Harrow and Gideon at the end. They aren't and weren't romantic, that was a purely "family" thing.

Your PhD in history is showing.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

That's a failure mode I generally associate with cishet romance novels, personally.

It happens a LOT, there's a frequent rec yuri manga that I noped out of in the first chapter because the main character gets raped by the romantic lead and then asked to forgive her. And yaoi gets it largely because it carries over from the male part in cishet romance novels.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Completely wrong loving thread, how did that happen.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Scholomance also takes an interesting turn in the third book.

It is a twist that is foreshadowed in the first book, telegraphed in the second, and finally hits in the third and when it hits, goddamn it's worth it, IMO.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Honestly, if you didn't like the angst it doesn't really change in that regard, but I didn't find it particularly angst to begin with.

There is a lot of "this system is hosed where the wealthy get a comparatively easy route out of this pure hellhole", yes, and it does kind of beat you over the head with that, but that wasn't a particularly bad thing, imo.

Just in case you didn't get the message in the first and second books, the third book has literal commuter wage slaves and magical dwellings built on the eternal suffering of a single child

I should be slightly more clear here about what I'm saying. The books are not angsty. The books are punk.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 26, 2022

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

rohan posted:

Gotta say I never picked up on that (assuming you’re going for the Stranger Things ref and not something else entirely) but her full name being Galadriel as an explicit LOTR reference works well in the story. I doubt the overt reference is meant to cover for her riffing on a character in a Netflix show.

I thought the Scholomance books had their problems with needless exposition at times but they were a fun read and I’m really not sure where the comparisons to HP come in besides them both being about wizard schools, which is hardly an invention of Rowling’s. I do think the last book suffered a bit from the (overly-cautious spoiler) sudden increase in scope and relatively break-neck pace not letting the new characters or locations really breathe and become memorable, though.

Yeah she is full on Galadriel, right down to her affinity, the moment she gives in to any temptation she expects to go full "all shall love me and despair", and probably could.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

sebmojo posted:

The paladin by cj cherryh. Protag is a seen it all grumpy swordsman who gets pulled in for One Last Empire Toppling by a revenge obsessed peasant girl

I bought this because sure, and I know Cherryh has a thing for older men and young women, but this dude is like 45 or something and she is 16 and extremely not interested and he will not loving stop.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Cardiac posted:

The sequel is a letdown, since it is just the same story told from four different viewpoints, followed by random ramblings by people who wasn’t even in the main storyline.

I loved Rashomon!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

or "I wish that the following people I went to high school with would die an agonizing death, to be excruciatingly detailed herein:".

I can feel the Inferno fans getting angry already.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Kestral posted:

Since the recommendations for demon/hell-related media has gone beyond just books and into comics, we'd be remiss to not mention Berserk. Not recommend necessarily, but at least mention, because the Eclipse is one of the most mind-searingly awful depictions of those concepts I've ever encountered. I finished that section for the first time last night, and this entire day I've been getting vivid, intrusive flashbacks to those images. Absolute nightmare fuel. I can't in good conscience actually recommend people read it, and I'm not certain I want to continue either, but its reputation for powerfully affecting the reader is well-deserved.

Berserk is loving great, but also a hard recommend. There's a reason it basically founded a genre. You've already gotten past the lowest point, though, so you should absolutely keep going.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I realize this is a loaded question, but is swordheart more adventurous and comedic or is it all lovey dovey doe eyed romance cooties stuff?

I just hate romance relationship style books. Nothing against anyone who likes em, just not my cup o tea.

It is a romance that happens to involve a "disputed" inheritance, an attempt to force a woman into marriage, and solving that via a magic sword, some hijinks, and also priests of the rat (aka lawyers). There is quite a bit of adventure and violence involved.

It's slightly more romancey than The Princess Bride.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

dervival posted:

That probably won't be an issue given my dear old mum decided in all her wisdom to introduce me to Piers Anthony at the ripe age of 8 and my standards have been warped ever since :v:

I read an absolute shitload of piers anthony as a kid and the dude was still way too fuckin horny for a 16 year old girl. He is theoretically forty, though the timeline seems a bit hinky to me for that.

He's notably much hornier for a teen girl than the male leads in Tamora Pierce books.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Tezer posted:

it was a bad photocopy of 'rendezvous with rama' a well known book published a half century ago. Hated that the author included italicized asides from characters that were clearly supposed to represent 'debrief' statements made after the events of the novel, but the characters died so obviously could not be interviewed after the events. because they were dead. ONE STAR

I'm just picturing you reviewing American History X like this and laughing at you.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

Has anyone read the Jade Phoenix Saga books? It's YA cultivation fantasy, but it's written incredibly well with a cool world and a fun main character. Loved the audiobooks, especially the new second one.

I forgot what thread this was and thought you were talking about the Battletech Legend of the Jade Phoenix trilogy, which is extremely yikes in a number of ways.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Psion posted:

Oh, absolutely. She was in a class of her own as far as any long-term Baen author (which may be why she's letting them do the publishing here? She's been with Baen since the 80s?) but also I'd argue David Drake wrote solid books. Early Weber was alright also. Then... well.

suffice to say I haven't bought or recommended baen in many years and don't feel any urge to reconsider that

Eh. I don't know if they're still publishing anything there, but Elizabeth Moon and Mercedes Lackey both published a fair bit there. And weird libertarian gun nut he may have been, but I liked Joel Rosenberg's stuff and it's a goddamn pity that he died before finishing Mordred's Heirs.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Psion posted:

yeah, I went back and checked and my memory of baen authors I've read was very incomplete. A cursory check of some recent books from Moon and Lackey show up as published by Hachette or Del Ray, for what it's worth. Was there some exodus of authors or is it all a string of coincidences? who can say. I think randomly speculating in the book barn is my limit for effort I want to put into the question :v:

Ah, thank you. Not sure why I thought self-pub. Moving into entirely purchasing ebooks makes me even less aware of the publisher, I guess.

Lackey, at least, was always split among publishers, her output for Baen was a very specific series of urbfant involving racer elves in california or something.

Moon published a lot of her best stuff there, though, including The Deed of Paksenarrion.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4