Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I tapped out about halfway though Ancillary Sword . My biggest issue was that, after reading other military fiction like The Black Company, the Malazan series, and Matterhorn a bunch of hard nosed veterans on a space ship between deployments caring the most about tea ceremonies and cleaning the showers again and again wasn't cutting it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

Take care, General B. Hope things look up soon.

But also

ravenkult posted:

What's going on with B?

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

has anyone read the witcher books....i just finished them and i thjnk the last one is the best fantasy book ive ever read.

I read em a few years ago and really liked them too. I liked how they were written as history books with the odd "and thirty years later so-and-so would recall" thrown in there.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

Looking forward to it. Preordered in order to support and hopefully to ensure the 4th book gets published.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

Looking forward to it. Preordered in order to support and hopefully to ensure the 4th book gets published.

Edited for snipe:

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Neither, the manuscript is final. They're just delaying the book because they think the pandemic is going to make the launch suck.

That's dumb, people are stuck at home with nothing to do.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

quantumfoam posted:

Then Niven got creepy with clones and eugenics, and even creepier with the Ringworld series and rishathra :shudder:

I've always described the Ringworld Series as having the subtitle "or, The Erotic Adventures of Louis Wu".

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Is it enjoyable to read a comic on a kindle? I've had a bad time trying to zoom and pan illustrations in books and I can't imagine its fun applying that to a book that is entirely pictures.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

That makes more sense on a tablet, I was thinking a Paperwhite or something.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

That's fascinating.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I stopped lurking this thread for a few days so I could read Harrow the Ninth. Some thoughts:

Exploding soup made me go "Ha, neat" out loud and then have to explain part of the book to my wife.

Matthias Nonius appearing made me go "Ha, he's real" out loud and then have to explain further.

I wondered "It's strange that part of this book is written in second person past tense" right before you find out why.

Gideon's extremely online and snarky voice is clearly a point of contention, but I love it and was delighted to have her return and keep narrating like she did in Gideon

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I finished Baru 3 last night. It was great and I'm going to leave an amazon review next (do amazons .com and .ca collate review numbers or seperate them?)

Some thoughts:
As mentioned earlier in the thread, Over There is fascinating to me as well. Perpetual lightning continent? Hell yeah. Is Starfall Bay where a meteor struck, or something exploded forever ago? Everyone knows there's a Supercontinent, but do people go there on the reg? Is the Black Tea Ocean just where tea comes from, or is the water actually black?

I like in-canon alternate names for scientific theories, like "coin theory" instead of Mendelian genetics.

I was hoping for more on-screen adventures with the cancer-whale, he's fun.

The lobotomy scenes were incredibly difficult for me. I have some sort of mental block around the concept of digging around inside peoples brains, probably stemming from watching a surprise brain surgery video in a psychology class in college, where I passed out and then threw up right in class, lol. Anyway, I had to read those scenes a sentence at a time and then distract myself for a minute until the creeping grey vision went away. That is NOT a criticism, and really served, for me at least, to drive home how creepy and evil Falcrest is if they do those on the regular to dissident citizens.

I'm hype for Baru 4, but good things take time, so I hope Seth doesn't rush for the sake of his fans and mental health.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

MeerkatHero posted:

There's a new K.J. Parker novel out as of yesterday: How to Rule an Empire & Get Away with It. It's sort of a sequel to Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City.

Sadly, there is almost no way to read anything about it, even the slightest blurb, without spoilers. Then again, if you like K.J. Parker, you already pretty much know what you're getting. Here's what Publisher's Weekly thought.

I do happen to like K.J. Parker, a lot, and have wondered why I don't see his stuff promoted often or in many places.

I really like K.J. Parker, but I happen to fall into the niche of readers who likes realistic medieval/renaissance slice of life stories set in a recognizable but not-Earth setting with expansive explanations of whatever technology or institution is driving the plot. I don't know many people in real life other than myself who would enjoy reading that, though.

Also the character and place names are, uh, unique.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh oh oh a random rec for you, I haven't read much of it but it sounds exactly like this, Irenicon by Aidan Harte.

You rec has been added to the list, much obliged :tipshat:

ulmont posted:

It's more that after reading...*checks notes* 16 KJ Parker books and several novellas, while I buy them, read them, and enjoy them, I'm always waiting for the brutal twist.

Brutal twist and an arts and crafts project you can make with your kid!

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

darkgray posted:

This conversation reminds me of a Photoshop edit I made years and years and years ago for some old SA thread, but nobody seemed to get it back then. Maybe its time has finally come...

:popeye:

Goddamn, lol.

There's something really relaxing about the extended sequences about heating and hammering metal and how it makes the whole day fly by. I noticed on my last re-read that no one ever makes anything out of refined ore or iron ingots, they are always picking something else (usually a leaf spring) to draw down or weld together, giving me the impression that the world is incredibly old, history is caught in cycles, and things just repeat.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Anyone have any good cosmic horror or (even better) deep space horror that's not Blindsight, Revelation Space or Ship of Fools/Unto Leviathan? Similar vibes welcome, I'm looking for a nice break from 2020.

Underwater horror that's not Rifters or The Deep (lol) also welcome.

William Gibson's short story Hinterlands, in the collection Burning Chrome might be up your alley. I haven't read any of the ones you listed so I don't know if it's similar or not, but I remember it creeping me right out.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Ben Nevis posted:

I'd always thought that's why it was called Ringworld.

I introduce the series to people as "Ringworld, or, The Erotic Adventures of Louis Wu".

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

McCoy Pauley posted:

Can anyone recommend any KJ Parker novels that are like the short stories in Academic Exercises related to the Studium? I really liked 16 Ways, which I presume is set in the same world as much of the rest of Parker's fantasy, since Saloninus is mentioned, but I particularly like the short stories in Academic Exercises featuring people from the Studium, which were a little different from 16 Ways. Anything else by him that directly relates to the Studium and its members?

The first two trilogies (Fencer and Scavenger) have supernatural elements in them, but nothing directly linked to Saloninus. After that point there is much less, if any, supernatural in the novels.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

xiw posted:

i feel you, this is my reading since someone in this thread pointed me at Prosper's Demon:

How, uh, did you like the Scavenger trilogy?

Poldarn fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 3, 2021

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

mllaneza posted:

You also left out Against A Dark Background :colbert:

I forget in which, but a GSV makes a passing reference to a lazy gun in one of the later books.

AADB and Consider Phlebas are both dark, depressing, ultimately futile efforts by their protagonists, and jam packed with mind blowing set piece scenes. Sure, the hovercraft fight would be great properly filmed, but how about Horza flying the CAT out like a loving madman ? I wanna see that filmed.

AADB bummed me out for a few days when I figured out what the title meant.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

HampHamp posted:

I've been working night shift for the last few months and I've been using this thread for book recommendations. So far I've read Book of the New Sun, the Quantum Thief trilogy, Between two Fires, Ninefox Gambit, Lord of Light, the first two Baru books, and I'm about to start Aurora. I've adored every single one of these books, so just wanted to say thanks!

And seconding the love for Borne, such a great, sad story.

Hell same, I've been stealing book suggestions from this thread for years.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Lily Catts posted:

Hello again, thread! Can I ask for some fantasy recommendations that's centered on an adventuring party (think D&D), but with a personal, micro focus on themselves as opposed to saving the kingdom/world? Something about not heroes but people just trying to survive (and some just fail). I've read several Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance books already, but they're more epic for my tastes. Dark is fine, though not too much, I guess (Howard and Moorcock are out). Japanese light novels are fine too, but it's rather hard nowadays to find fantasy series that aren't isekai.

At the moment of typing I realized that Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash really fits what I'm looking for (even if it's technically isekai), but I'd like more if possible.

I started reading the Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber. It's just two dudes trying to survive and sometimes steal jewels from temples. The guy wrote them from the 30's to the 70's so it's a little dated but I still dig them.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

BananaNutkins posted:

Big recommendation for Fritz Leiber if somehow you've never heard of him. The only author I know of whose best stories are easily his prequels (The Snow Women, The Unholy Grail).

I wish we'd gotten a few full sized novels in Lankhmar, but what's really special about his stories now is how they're satisfying epic fantasy in short form, which is something few authors today are doing well--to my knowledge. Throw me some recs if that's not the case

I'm working my way through all the collected Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories right now and they're easily one of the top 10 entertaining things I've ever read.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

GrandmaParty posted:

I'm doing a reread of Talion: Revenant by Michael J. Stackpole. It's late 80s as gently caress. Is it fantastic? No. It's not. But neither is a solid bar steak. It's fine and meaty and scratches that good itch.

Dang, I remember this one. Stackpole was OK when he wasn't crapping out 4 or 5 licensed novels a year for Star Wars or BattleTech.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Aardvark! posted:

My personal favorites of Space Opera, totally subjective and in no particular order, though Banks is my #1 all time fave

The Culture series by Iain M. Banks
Imperial Radch series by Ann Leckie
Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold (this one spans all sorts of genres over time)
House of Suns by Alistair Reynolds
Machineries of Empire series by Yoon Ha Lee
Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo
Hyperion by Dan Simmons
Commonwealth Series by Peter Hamilton

Lots more I'd probably list here if I remembered

What, no Ringworld? :smug:

This is not an endorsement for Ringworld

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

The Gunslinger posted:

I've been doing a re-read of everything David Gemmell recently and despite some product of the time elements, it's still fantastic. I really miss his writing style, he had razor sharp focus on characters, themes and elements of story telling rather than pointless minutiae or heavy layers of descriptive detail. He had that rare quality among authors to let the reader's imagination fill in the blanks and always offered some closure. I really appreciate the latter in this age of door stoppers and never ending series.

I ask this once every few years and usually come up short but has anyone found any newer authors who write in a similar style that I might enjoy?

Steven Brust might scratch that itch. I think he got metoo'ed recently though, if that's an issue for you. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

They did it to Iain Banks, too, and apparently at a con he tore out the offending page and ate it.

Why are two of my favourite authors dead?

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

For all the weird sex in The Culture those books are fairly normal and healthy about sex.

Even Mr Thirty Dicks.

The non-M books have a fair amount of incest in them, but I never got the feeling he was writing those scenes with one hand.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Fivemarks posted:

I always wanted to write sci-fi, but I got convinced by mutual acquaintances of GB and I that I'm too black, not smart enough, and not 'good' enough to ever be a real writer, especially in Sci-fi. I guess seeing the recent change in things on the sci-fi front has made me feel better about that. After all, if Sanderson can just right four books offhandedly, I can at least write a short story.

I'll read your stuff. I'll probably like it.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Oh hey, I just finished the first Crown of Stars a few days ago. I agree with everything everyone has said.

I can't read series all in one go, I always alternate with some other book so I started Ash: A Secret History. The framing device is hilarious between chapters a researcher is exchanging emails with his supervisor as the historical document he is translating differs more and more from established history but holy moly CW: graphic sexual violence.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

A little late on this one, but for those of you who loved Harry August, pick this one up. It's another serial lives story, but I think much more beautiful and thoughtful than Harry August.

The sequel made me cry

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Also sounds like the Heechee/Gateway books. I read them as a kid, no idea if they hold up.

Ooh, I blew through those a few months ago.

They're fine. Not even too problematic for a 70's series. Definitely pretty horny though.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Every day I'm reminded that so many YA authors, most notably Applegate and Riordan, deserved JK Rowling's level of success but never found it.

Hey...wait a minute..yeah. Yeah!

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Queer Salutations posted:

The Belgariad/Mallorean were my gateway fantasy novels that really got me into reading, I'd reread all ten yearly for awhile. I think the writing is prosaic and workman like but the story moves at a pace that keeps it interesting. But with an adult eye? It's a wildly problematic series. Even if you were willing to overlook the "author was bad enough to go to prison for child abuse in the 60s", you got:

- It's wildly sexist. Just endless Women belong in the kitchen nonsense. He uses the 3000 year old sorceress who's at least the third most powerful human as a mother figure who basically only does domestic chores. In fact her good end is to get a solid dependable husband she can dedicate her life towards.
- The race of Dryads that are exclusively women, kidnap men to use for breeding purposes, and are described as looking like young teens/children. The fated wife of the protagonist is half Dryad and half Roman (every kingdom is nearly 1:1 to a real country/culture), this does not prevent her from described as tiny and "small breasted" all the loving time.
- The hero who commits marital rape which is good apparently. The hero who is Gandalf but a sexist prick. The hero who is of the race of shrewd, conniving spies with the hook nose.
- The villains of the Belgariad who are 100% coded as Middle Eastern and called the Murgos who are violent, treat women poorly, and follow their god's will blindly. Those things are true of literally all people in this world but the Murgos are eastern and they have "slanted eyes".
- The villains of the Mallorean who are 100% coded as Chinese (they are at least somewhat humanized because the Adventure Party spends a lot of time actually living with them but they're still evil easterners).

IIRC correctly in the Belgariad, the different races were all created by different gods, so its not really murder if you kill someone created by a different god than yours.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

FPyat posted:

Has anyone read Michael Stackpole's fantasy books? Personally don't know why they'd pick him of all authors to write a Dark Souls novel.

Talion: Revenant is an adequate fantasy novel to turn your brain off and enjoy.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Its been long enough that I can't remember why but I think look to windward was the one I liked the most

I shed a single, noble tear at the climax of that one.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

General Battuta posted:

I'm sorry, I can't write that story now that I know it's based on a hateful conspiracy theory. I tried to write today but all that come out of me was this poem about my botched circumcision. All of this really happened to me.

circumcised age thirty five, daikatana milah knives, cut my dick up like bryan cranston in drive
white jacket, scorpion back it, foreskin shredded like flak hit
exsanguinating from glans, mohel got bad hands, "my god im so sorry", it's too late i'm unmanned
reduced to a wax stump, induced to get rear end pumped, cant cum from the front cause i got a gristly scar lump
meant to convert to the tribe, now masturbation's proscribed, zero sense in my pipeline, dakota access denied
bleeding wont stop! rabbis intervene - hebrew orbital laser cauterizing it clean
call my dick temple prime cause its gettin the nod. only now do i realize — GDI offends god!
you cant kill the messiah! kane enters left. "call me nehemiah, i'll rebuild what was cleft"
peace through technology! reverse the chronology, undo the mistake that caused this pathology
it's done, i'm rehung, i'll name my first son tiberian! but now the rabbis wont have me, i dont meet their criterion
seudet mitzvah aborted, my conversion is thwarted. that red scorpion flag has em all disconcerted
peace through power

Can you autograph this? I wish to display it prominently in my home.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

quantumfoam posted:

I read Locklands and the Big U this week.

Locklands was ok, liked that it tied everything up in 3 books and didn't extend itself out into a endless fantasy series. The timeskips in Locklands and the earlier first two books in the series didn't bother me, that's Robert Jackson Bennett's writing thing.

Started off enjoying the Big U, then read it for morbid completions sake after the rape attempt scene happened. What the gently caress Neal Stephenson.
Before that point it was oddly engaging and full of cleverish pokes at college environment life/college faculty and students living in a different reality than non-college people, after that the Big U became recognizably Neal Stephenson-esque with everyone morphed into complete psychopath villains or morphed into hyper-competent urban combat badasses or existed to make the hyper-competent characters go places. Other than that, the pocket tank was a cute concept for the 6 pages it existed and the sewer LARPing before the giant mutant rats appeared was amusing.

Pretty sure Stephenson has said that no one should read The Big U anymore.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

sebmojo posted:

I can't stand what I've read of long sun fwiw, it's just endless scenes of people speculating about what the plot might be. I really fall off Wolfe after Soldier of arete, though that's not a common view so take it with a grain of salt.

I almost gave up on the slog through Long Sun, but there were a few payoffs in Short Sun that made it more than worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I finished TLTL literally yesterday. I thought the setting was neat, but did not understand why I should at all care about anyone or anything going on except the kid that makes toys come to life, what's his deal?. I'll power through the rest of the rest of the series though, cause some of my friends really like it.