Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

how good are the jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Boy howdy is the third act just duct-taped together

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Okay, I've been thinking about the movie since seeing it earlier today and I just... don't dig it. Everything about it is good on a technical level; the acting is good, the cinematography is good, Hildur Guðnadóttir's score is amazing (albeit maybe a little derivative of Carter Burwell's work on Fargo?), but it just doesn't gel on a narrative level.

Despite it being a Joker "origin" story, I think it kind of does a bad job at executing that goal in that it feels like there is some significant character stuff missing in relation to how extremely different Arthur acts during the talk show at the end. It's the only time we get the full-on "Joker" Joker in the movie, but it seems to come completely out of nowhere. His inflection changes, the way he inhabits a physical space changes. He becomes sassy, sarcastic. He monologues about A Society or whatever. The Joker we see on the talk show feels like the Joker present in most Batman media, except... I'm not sure where it comes from. We never see those elements bubble up in Arthur earlier in the film, even as he begins to unravel. The closest we get is the "oh I forgot to punch out" bit at the Clown HQ, but... otherwise those personality traits are completely absent. I know somebody's gonna be all "hurrrr he isn't himself until he puts on the makeup" but I call bullshit. The switch flip from awkward, halting Arthur Fleck to Catty Bitch Joker is too clean and sudden. It feels like somebody was like "oh man you better get Joker as gently caress in the last twenty minutes-or-so."

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So how will this universe's batman reflect that the film he saw prior to his parents' murder wasn't Zorro or The Mask of Zorro, but rather Zorro, The Gay Blade?

Robert Pattinson's Batman gonna be Rainbow Batman.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Chuka Umana posted:

How much money did Gary Glitter get from this movie?

That's just the first wave of profits. I bet the song will jump to the top of itunes after dinguses purchase it blindly after seeing the movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yeah Gary Glitter is going to die in prison

Oh of course, but he's still making money off the song. Even if that just results in him being the spicy ramen king of the cell block, that still sucks.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Blast Fantasto posted:

The score for this movie was very good and reminded me a lot of Johann Johannsson’s work - I looked it up and the composer for Joker, Hildur Guonadottir, actually played cello on a number of Johannsson’s scores.

Edit: She also apparently won an Emmy for Chernobyl too so there’s that. Looking forward to more scores from her

It reminded me a lot of the more bombastic parts of Carter Burwell’s score for Fargo, which isn’t a bad thing.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Steve2911 posted:

No I'm saying they were bad scenes that added nothing to the movie other than to allow people to point at the screen and say 'I know this'.

I poo poo you not, the person next to me said "That's Batman" out loud when Bruce showed up outside the gate.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Me, thinking the girlfriend subplot in Joker is pulled off effortlessly: geez louise I just can't stop making out with all these tweakers who randomly show up at my apartment in clownpaint.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

There was the bit where he tried to act all cool in front of the detectives, dropping sick bon mots and flicking his cigarette at them all tough guy, and then ran face first into an EXIT ONLY glass door at the hospital. That was pretty good.

The audience reaction to that was weird. Nobody knew if it was supposed to be comedic or not. Like some people laughed, but it didn’t really play consistently to the crowd I was in. It’s clearly a comedic beat, but delivered at such a strange moment. I’m not really sure what the point of it was, especially following the discussion with the detectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think they literally watched this exact video of this actual man to base it on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk7MdKMfypM

The movie is exact 100% this.

Oh wow, yeah. That's like a 1-1 mirror of Phoenix's performance in the film.