Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The Lord Bude posted:

You don't need to add food colouring. People have become accustomed to seeing bright red/orange/yellow curries at poo poo westernised Indian restaurants; you won't see it at decent places that serve authentic food to primarily Indian customers, nor will you see it in home cooking. Most Indian dishes with a gravy will be brown - sometimes a subtle reddish brown, sometimes a subtle yellow brown, sometimes just plain brown.

Yep, if you want your food to look a little better add some kashmiri red chilli powder or deggi mirch powder. They both add quite a bit of color to things with a very mild heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I've been wanting to make dhokla recently and I noticed that a lot of recipes use enos. Enos just seems like it's a combination of citric acid and baking soda so I can probably use some combination of lemon juice and baking soda. Is this correct?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

CommonShore posted:

I know it's not authentic but American Wild Rice is extremelygood in dal

Every grain rocks with dal, quinoa and dal is something that I make quite a bit.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ASAPI posted:

Over the past few years I have been experimenting with Indian food in general, I love this stuff.

I am having a hard time structuring my meals "properly" with accruements and various dishes to make a thali (am I even using that term right?!?).

Locally, everyone serves a rice, sambar, some kind of pickle, usually something like an aloo gobi, and some other random dishes.

I have two issues when I attempt this. First, Everything I make ends up as a huge pot of [INSERT DISH]. This is likely because I have very poor recipes to draw from, I never know how long to simmer something, let alone how much liquid should be added. (looking at the recipes in the wiki, I likely need more education about which dishes are "wet" and how thick some of these gravies are) I also get excited and want to use the whole head of cauliflower or whatever. Second, I don't know what should go with what. Should I offer a little pickled mango with some dishes, but not others? What about the other plethora of pickled items? Chutney's? There are like 50 of those. Raita, all the time? Some of the time?

Is there a site/book/youtube personality that can educate me on "proper" composition of my meals? Bonus points if they use actual units of measurement that can be replicated.

Are you talking about a single meal? Growing up it always used to be dal, 1-2 types of sabzi, and either rice/roti. Usually my parents would also have veggies, achar, and/or raita on the side.

When I host I generally make 1 main dish (usually a dal or something like chana masala) and 2 simple side dishes along with naan or rice. When I make naan, I make the dishes thicker, and when i'm serving rice I make them a little thinner.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ASAPI posted:

Actually, yes a single meal. Your explanation helped me out some though, I was lacking terms and proportions. ( I had to look up sabzi).

Opps I am sorry. Sabzi just means vegetable, it'll generally be a vegetable dish e.g. aloo matar (potatoes and peas), bindi (okra), etc.

ASAPI posted:

The veggies on the side, are those (what appears to me as) the random raw onion/lettuce/cucumber/tomato/etc that I see? They always seem to be kind of a random thing added (at least to my uneducated eyes), are there "rules" for what to use when or does anything go with those?

This is something that I haven't really thought about. Growing up my parents just wanted us to eat more veggies and the quickest way of making a salad was to cut up some carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, and other stuff. I imagine that restaurants do it to give you something fresh and light, since most of what you will eat there will be pretty heavy.

ASAPI posted:

The achar/pickles, is that also a anything goes type thing? Are there specific items that should/shouldn't be served with specific dishes?

I don't think there are any rules here, it just adds a nice salty element to the meal.

ASAPI posted:

The raita, I've seen all sorts of recipes for this, is it meant to be more of a "cooling" general condiment or should it be used to enhance the meal with specific flavors. Some of the recipes I found, despite being yogurt based, looked like they would overpower things with spice.

This is also something I really haven't given much thought to, lol. Growing up it was another way for my parents to make us eat veggies and stuff. I imagine that you can use it as a cooling dish or a palette cleanser.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dino. posted:

That looks like a bog standard daal tarka with a couple of extra steps. Depending on what region you're in, the tarka will vary a bit. In South India, you'll likely see mustard seed and cumin seed. In Bengal, you're likely to see nigella seeds. In Delhi you're likely to have a spot of garam masala thrown in. In Gujarat, you're likely to see sugar, because Gujjus put sugar into everything. I'm not even kidding.

Yeah it's basically dal you'd get at a temple or gurdwara at least here in the north, so it has to be easy to make and serve to a bunch of people. It's usually on the thicker side because it's served with roti, and it's generally urad based.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Is a neutral oil a good substitute for ghee when making halwa?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Yeah normally, I am vegan however so ghee is out of the question. Lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

CommonShore posted:

I've had plenty of beef curries from Muslim areas.

I don't usually mix a dal with meat, but just today I had a mustardy black bean dal and a screaming hot chana masala and had some leftover smoked brisket on the side, which I happily dipped in the gravies for either

It's pretty common in Kerala too lol.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Bollock Monkey posted:

Dhansak is a popular dish here that has meat and lentils. There's no reason not to make food how you like it - you just might want to play with textures.

haleem is also just lentils + meat + grain

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I did some looking and it definitely looked similar to pav bhaji as you mentioned, but the thing I noticed was that's supposed to be a straight vegetable dish, where what I had had some lamb chunks in it. Don't know if that helps narrow it down any though, but the note about the food coloring and kashmiri powder helps.

Definitely gonna try to make Chicken 65 at some point though, that looks great.

was it keema? it looks kind of like this but the consistency can vary depending on how liquidy you want it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Eeyo posted:

Which adds more veggies (some cauliflower) and less potato it looks like. Or am I better off going potato heavy?

you can do whatever veggies you have on hand, i would say the core is cauliflower, green pepper, and potatoes

i rarely use more than 1 black cardamom when cooking