Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Kono Oto Tomare!: Sounds of Life (Literal TL: Stop By Our Sound!) is Platinum Vision's anime adaptation of an ongoing shonen manga series by Sakura Amyuu in Shueisha's monthly Jump SQ magazine. It features the koto, a traditional Japanese stringed instrument derived from the Chinese guzheng (zither) and looks like so:

Plot is was as follows:

quote:

Since the graduation of the senior members of the club, Takezou ends up being the sole member of the Koto Club at Tokise High. Now that the new school year has begun, Takezou will have to seek out new members into the club, or the club will become terminated. Out of nowhere, a new member barges into the near-abandoned club room, demanding to join the club. How will Takezou be able to keep his club alive and deal with this rascal of a new member?
So that was episode 1. Since then, we've had five more members join plus a reluctant advisor, mild-to-moderate ship teasing, numerous (sad) backstories, 2.5 heel-to-face turns, gobs of power of friendship, and a season that ended just as the crew was finishing off their second public performance, this time against other high school koto clubs. What will happen next? Well, more of the aforementioned really (with probably the same animation quality). But, find out for yourself this Saturday and every Saturday until the end of the year.

S2 PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy7R8_J-7iU

:siren: Streaming on Funimation and Hulu. :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

i thought i was the only one

the manga for this is fuckin incredible btw

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

I AM THE MOON posted:

i thought i was the only one

the manga for this is fuckin incredible btw

:yeah:

It's criminal that the manga still isn't licensed in English yet (as far as I can tell)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
S2E1, more like S1E13 Part 2

The two big emotional moments in the premiere felt really satisfying, at least

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Lots of cute reactions this last episode, now get together already you darn kids.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
How much of this show goes into the actual playing of the koto as an instrument? I took erhu lessons in San Francisco's Chinatown, and I thought the guzheng they had was beautiful. I probably would have learned that if I hadn't been moving around constantly, making transportation a hassle.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The club right now is composed of an ordinary experienced player, a prodigy, and five newbies, one of whom is a latent prodigy. Thus, we learn about the instrument, its songs, and its history along with most of its cast. The series emphasizes the weeks or months of practice it takes for one 5-8 minute public performance. Truth be told, one does not hear as much of the practice as one would think, and when we finally get to the performance scenes, they're adapted verbatim from the manga. What that means is that like in a shonen battle series, we're either getting other characters commentating on the music itself & the techniques the musicians are using or flashbacks to the (usually sad) history of the player, interrupting the performance itself; it's the complete opposite approach to something like Euphonium, which usually let the music speak for itself. A lot of people obviously don't like it, but I think author's justification was for it to work as an introduction to new characters or to detail when a performance has gone wrong. In the climactic performance of S1, the Tokise Club gets off on the wrong foot and characters in the audience commentate on it, but when they get back into the groove, it's just pure musical performance until the end of the episode. And in the manga recently, there was a performance that had no commentary over it, just beautiful & thunderous imagery because it was so drat good. Maybe Platinum Vision could've tried harder for the anime, but what are you gonna do :shrug:

tl;dr The series wants you to like the characters first and then like the music.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Okay, that's still more than I would have expected. As a person who loves non-western musical instruments, I find anyway to learn more worth the time, and the anime will at least have the advantage of actual music, even if it is interrupted.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
So

Essentially, S2 has been a lot of table setting for the big moment in this week's episode (I think Akira's development and face turn was the most notable highlight before then). The clubs showcased in the previous couple of eps have worked as hard and had their own obstacles to overcome to get to preliminaries like our protagonists, so what will the Tokise koto club bring to the table? Well, it ended up being the culmination of the entire series up to this point. I wouldn't call it 100% perfect (there were some pretty blatant animation and camerawork shortcuts when they felt like they could get away with it) but the prettiness of the song and the acknowledgement of how far the characters have come over the course of 25 episodes completely overwhelm those shortcomings. Tokise's performance was the reward in and of itself; manga readers who shied away from the anime should totally check it out when it inevitably gets uploaded to Youtube within the next week or so.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Coaaab posted:

So

Essentially, S2 has been a lot of table setting for the big moment in this week's episode (I think Akira's development and face turn was the most notable highlight before then). The clubs showcased in the previous couple of eps have worked as hard and had their own obstacles to overcome to get to preliminaries like our protagonists, so what will the Tokise koto club bring to the table? Well, it ended up being the culmination of the entire series up to this point. I wouldn't call it 100% perfect (there were some pretty blatant animation and camerawork shortcuts when they felt like they could get away with it) but the prettiness of the song and the acknowledgement of how far the characters have come over the course of 25 episodes completely overwhelm those shortcomings. Tokise's performance was the reward in and of itself; manga readers who shied away from the anime should totally check it out when it inevitably gets uploaded to Youtube within the next week or so.

i fell behind on the anime and ive been catching up over the past week or so. if its the scene im sure it is, i'm glad it sounds like it lived up to the manga.

in the reverse of OPs post, if anyone liked this anime please read the manga too. it's amazing.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Pure reunion episode, with the most meaningful ones as bookends. Though I think my favorite parts were the judges' deliberation (providing subjective justifications for each of the three big performances) and the denoument for the rivals, which surprised me by how touching they were given the relative hastiness of their background stories. As for the series as a whole... a very consistent narrative flow that tried to incorporate as many characters as possible. This is NOT the series to watch if you're looking for a show that reinvents the wheel and tries to give you something you didn't even know you wanted. This series wants to withhold as much as possible for as long as possible until it has arranged all the pieces on the board neatly into place and then proceeds to pummel you with everything you wanted all along (except probably in the romance department). I think this series is very friendly to anime newbies with its wholesomeness, minimal fanservice, and simple but strongly felt themes; I could see it being recommended as a minor gem from here on out. At least now with the release of the anime, I can read more discussion about the ongoing manga and I'm really thankful for that.

Most importantly, there's now an official upload of the performance from episode 25, for those that wanted it to be easier to loop instead of re-clicking on the progress bar as it finishes in order to listen to it over and over again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5LDoMHlqHw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Coaaab posted:

Pure reunion episode, with the most meaningful ones as bookends. Though I think my favorite parts were the judges' deliberation (providing subjective justifications for each of the three big performances) and the denoument for the rivals, which surprised me by how touching they were given the relative hastiness of their background stories. As for the series as a whole... a very consistent narrative flow that tried to incorporate as many characters as possible. This is NOT the series to watch if you're looking for a show that reinvents the wheel and tries to give you something you didn't even know you wanted. This series wants to withhold as much as possible for as long as possible until it has arranged all the pieces on the board neatly into place and then proceeds to pummel you with everything you wanted all along (except probably in the romance department). I think this series is very friendly to anime newbies with its wholesomeness, minimal fanservice, and simple but strongly felt themes; I could see it being recommended as a minor gem from here on out. At least now with the release of the anime, I can read more discussion about the ongoing manga and I'm really thankful for that.

Most importantly, there's now an official upload of the performance from episode 25, for those that wanted it to be easier to loop instead of re-clicking on the progress bar as it finishes in order to listen to it over and over again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5LDoMHlqHw

it's a perfect adaption of the performance. absolutely perfect. i don't really have anything else to say so here's some big moments from tenkyuu in chapter 51.

honestly i want to just post the whole thing so everyone can see it's loving PERFECT