Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Welcome to Majesty, a game of heroes and questing with a difference – as opposed to the normal role as you as the hero, you as the player actually controls the poor king who has to deal with the murderhobos roaming his land. you have no control over these people as they go about thier daily routine of pillage and destruction.
Don't worry. I'm a GM. I'm used to this from real human players.
Oh god my players are the worst.

This is Ardania, which is a generic RPG world with the D&D serial numbers filled off in a humorous way. The world is dotted with quests, which need completing.

Every quest revolves around your castle – here peasents spawn to build your buildings, guards to guard them, and tax collectors to bring in the cash. (as long as they are not eaten by a monster on the way home)

This is an adventuring guild, you pay gold to hire adventurers here, they then wander around the map, killing monsters, destroying dungeons and other sites of evil, levelling up and collecting gold. You have no control over them, bar being able to lay down cash incentives to either explore or kill. Adventurers, being greedy sorts, like money, and the bigger the reward, the more – or higher level adventurers will respond.

As you can see, they have levels, equipment, and gold.
They then traipse back to the guild and bank the money, they wander off to the local in to recover and tell tall tales.

So, how do you get you hands on this cash? Taxing the peasants is all well and good, but a king deserves some of this cash, doesn't he – while tax collectors can run into heroes before they report their earnings, you never have enough to deal with the multitude of heroes wandering the map. It's time to set up a murderhobo based economy.

This is one of the many building you can build – while the palace, guard towers and homes are considered part of your kingdom, these buildings work by selling goods to adventurers – so Rolloh up there, fresh from killing a skeleton and looting its corpse, wanders to the blacksmith and buy himself some better gear – then you tax the blacksmith!

This is a difficult game – there is a lot a variation in the monster levels, and sometimes low level heroes can run up against high power monsters – so you have to do your best to keep heroes alive and ready to take on the larger threats.

This will be a video LP, with the option for playing the Sequal once we have tapped this out.

So join me as I get angry at my heroes for killing rats rather than the Minotaur attacking my castle....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Hey, I remember this one! Got fond memories of it, too, despite (or perhaps because of) the inability to directly control any of the units. Sure, they're dumb as rocks, but at least the AI takes the micromanaging off my one-track mind (always my worst skill in RTS games).

Kinda feel you aren't building and/or upgrading buildings enough, or recruiting enough heroes, but that might just be the fact that you were only playing the tutorial mission. Or you being broke more often than not (though you didn't actually do anything with your Marketplace, which could've gotten you more gold from your lackeys for a small initial investment).

I've got a few other gripes about your performance, but I can excuse them as you concentrating more on explaining the game than playing it at the time.

Maybe you should do something like a list of heroes available for hire? I'm sure someone would be interested in something like that.

I would also like to say... Planet Fargo. Because I tended to type that in whenever nothing was happening.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yay! Are discussions of units/mechanics that have not appeared yet okay or not?

Looking forwards to this.

Also things you can do is 'upgrade' places - or research more things at buildings. A market might be upgraded to make more money, and like at the blacksmith you can 'research' more things for adventurers to buy.

early game - basically flail about desperately, try and get some guard towers and a guild or two so the random monster wandering out doesn't kill you. Then you start to try and build up - to stabilize your economy, get more guilds/adventurers, and defenses. Also you will have to keep constant track on your guilds due to the life expectancy of heroes. Be ready to train new ones. Often.

I sucked at this game mind and tended to fall into the 'GUARD TOWERS. EVERYWHERE.' mentality.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
gently caress yes a Grey Hunter LP of a game that I actually know!

Hi Grey Hunter!

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I have so much affection for this game, I played it a lot when I was young. It was a shame that I felt that the sequel was weaker but I do enjoy the weird setting and cosmology then kept through the two Majesty games and then into the two Warlock games.

Also the soundbite for the gnome hero dying is burned into my brain until the heat death of the universe.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

wedgekree posted:

Yay! Are discussions of units/mechanics that have not appeared yet okay or not?

Looking forwards to this.

Also things you can do is 'upgrade' places - or research more things at buildings. A market might be upgraded to make more money, and like at the blacksmith you can 'research' more things for adventurers to buy.

early game - basically flail about desperately, try and get some guard towers and a guild or two so the random monster wandering out doesn't kill you. Then you start to try and build up - to stabilize your economy, get more guilds/adventurers, and defenses. Also you will have to keep constant track on your guilds due to the life expectancy of heroes. Be ready to train new ones. Often.

I sucked at this game mind and tended to fall into the 'GUARD TOWERS. EVERYWHERE.' mentality.

Two markets. Possibly three if you can swing it. Choose one, and always be hitting Market Day at it. Upgrade them as time permits-it increases the income of Market Day.

A guild. Rangers explore on their own, Rogues are cheap and the guild sells weapon poisoning services at level 2. As you need 4 heroes to get to level 2 palace...

A Guard tower close to a market. Upgrade it. Guard towers-even with Arrows and Veteran guards-aren't great, but they're a drop-off place for tax collectors.

Blacksmith-Aside from potions, it's the prime thing your dudes spend on. It also reduces building costs. You're not likely to have more than one, though.

Inns-These things are constant, consistent income, and their base price and price increase per one is very low. They're also a rest spot for heroes and they'll spend money there. You'll want a lot(Think of them as medieval fast food places; They're EVERYWHERE), especially as they're one of the buildings(Blacksmith, Inn, Marketplace, Gardens, Fairgrounds-Any 5) that can earn you a Fountain, which gives you an extra tax collector.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 5, 2019

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The narrator sounds more like John Cleese than Sean Connery to me.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Montegoraon posted:

The narrator sounds more like John Cleese than Sean Connery to me.
He's supposed to be more "budget Sean Connery". I forget the exact details but he did a whole extended "interview" as a guest commentator during the Time Warriors LP.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Grey Hunter posted:

Don't worry. I'm a GM. I'm used to this from real human players.
Oh god my players are the worst.

That's not true! Only Calculon was really bad. And Fire, for that whole Orphanage thing. And I'm genuinely amazed the group hasn't murdered Thumper for that accent. And then there was that guy who started a revolution without asking the rest of the group first. And there's the whole "beat down King Arthur and sent him to a monastery, then accidentally Cthulhu'd Britain" thing, but that wasn't really their fault. We don't talk about the fake Sithlord Sullustan.

..ok, at least none of them have accidentally taken a child hostage while fighting the police because they didn't want to wait the 5 minutes it would take for the Paladin to finish getting a permit.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Wizards Curse!

So, I should be a bit more up to speed in this video, some more upgrades, and things are starting to click back into place a bit.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

It has been forever, and I still have a soft spot for this game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

NGDBSS posted:

He's supposed to be more "budget Sean Connery". I forget the exact details but he did a whole extended "interview" as a guest commentator during the Time Warriors LP.

he did! george ledoux is an amazing human being and basically explained that someone said "budget sean connery" when they were throwing around ideas for how the Advisor should sound and he basically dropped it out. everyone laughed and it was fantastic.

george is also a goon if someone wants to DM him this thread!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We rescue a prince from a tower and clear out some new lands for our people.

I get lucky with both these map spawns and get easy lines to the objective!

I'm going to clear out the remaining beginner missions then hit the advanced ones.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

thetruegentleman posted:

That's not true! Only Calculon was really bad. And Fire, for that whole Orphanage thing. And I'm genuinely amazed the group hasn't murdered Thumper for that accent. And then there was that guy who started a revolution without asking the rest of the group first. And there's the whole "beat down King Arthur and sent him to a monastery, then accidentally Cthulhu'd Britain" thing, but that wasn't really their fault. We don't talk about the fake Sithlord Sullustan.

..ok, at least none of them have accidentally taken a child hostage while fighting the police because they didn't want to wait the 5 minutes it would take for the Paladin to finish getting a permit.

For the record all of my characters in Grey games have been perfect cinnamon rolls.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

apostateCourier posted:

For the record all of my characters in Grey games have been perfect cinnamon rolls.

Except the spec op infiltrator who hunted down the whole party.....

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

im not really seeing how that counterpoints what apostate said there

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Bloodly posted:

Good economic advice

Also locality matters for tax collectors. The longer their path is, the easier it is for random enemies to jump them. Build your consistent income buildings (marketplaces, inns) around the castle entrance and towers. Always put out at least one tower in your initial build too, it serves as another layer of defense and target for enemies so your heroes aren't harassed directly.

Rangers are consistently average in much anything aside from magic. They're probably one of the best core hero types to spam out for that reason. Wizards are expensive glass cannons but if fed on a diet of rats and kept away from trolls they'll ruin any monster's day. Warriors are your meat walls but are slow and dumb; there are better and more survivable melee options later on. Thieves are one of the cheapest units and are cowardly enough to survive encounters far out of their reach due to running away after getting hit once or twice.

I'll hold off on the advanced units once they're encountered.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 8, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The big thing is how the different hero types all have big ai differences:
Rangers love the poo poo out of exploring the map, which can at times be a problem early game as other heroes being less inclined to keeps them close for defense.
Rogues are easily manipulated by bounties and are your best bet if you need something done now.
Warriors love attack flags and tend toward staying near town and defending the area around their guild
Wizards die before accomplishing anything and specialize in being a 500 gold sink
and so on

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
If you get a wizard that survives to level 10 and have a level 3 guild then they become death incarnate however.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Today we do the last of the main beginner missions - tomorrow, the Northern Expansion Beginner mission.
which shows you the difference between the main campaign and the expansion....

HiKaizer posted:

If you get a wizard that survives to level 10 and have a level 3 guild then they become death incarnate however.

Just as our lord and savior Gygax would have wanted it.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

HiKaizer posted:

Until they find a goddamn vampire with magic shield.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Or just a normal dragon. Like a true Gygaxian wizard they're living death both in terms of their capacity to deal it and also their fragility!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Some hero types like to group up together as they go about their business. Most of that happens centered on later hero types, but I believe warriors and rangers both are involved in some of that action.

Haven't got the time to peek in on the videos right at the moment, but this is a game I liked quite a bit. Some of the quests are decently hard, or require you to use options that you normally skip.

Wizards tend to not get recruited by me until there is a fairgrounds, or on a few maps where having someone do some magic is extremely useful. Since some enemies are basically only weak to magic.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Iunno, Paladins basically wreck faces from Level 1 onwards. That you can get them and healers just makes the path of righteousness an easy one, at least in my experience.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Counterpoint, you then dont get to hear YAAAAARGH! All the time.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I did a full campaign run without using Paladins once, and it was much more challenging but fun.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There are few problems that can't be solved with enough women in plate with giant swords.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Healers are good, Paladins are great, Monks are OK, and would be better if checking the Library were more likely to happen.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
Honestly I usually went Discord instead of Order for my temple selection, not really for the crazy hero stats, but because the Priestess Summon Skeleton spell was just too legit to quit, since it was a fully animated skeleton that you could spawn on any friendly.

Once you got rich enough just pop a skeleton in the place you need it and keep summoning more skeletons off your first one. Mobile armies. Not too effective, but once critical mass was reached they were pretty impressive. Also good for around town law enforcement when there weren't enough guards and your heroes are being tossers.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the primary problem with the Order pantheon (dauros + agrela) is that they are SLOW.

I don't mean that they are physically slow. Monks are pokey but that's generally OK, their primary task is wandering around your city and keeping the peace from the little herpes threats anyway. Paladins are zippy. Healers are zippy.

I mean they are strategically slow. They come out slowly and require tons of resources to muster. It's tempting to think that there's only one resources in this game - gold - but really there's two, gold and time. You can have 500k in the bank, none of it matters if the dragons are on your doorstep right this second. In this way, Order units are slow twice in that if there's a big spawn on the opposite side of the map, they will have to walk there and will be slow to respond.

And yes, as the game turns up the heat, distinctions like this are going to matter.

The point is, Order pantheon is completely inappropriate for a lot of levels simply because there's no way they are going to be online soon enough to actually solve the problem at hand, or even if they are online they might not physically be at the location to solve the problem. the Chaos pantheon (krypta + fervus) is a lot faster both in terms of deployment and in terms of map saturation. Kryptan priestesses will absolutely swamp your territory in skeletons, and Fervan cultists will charm animals to further quagmire everything. But, of course, they also cap out a lot faster, so if you have the truly elite threats on the field they are going to get mulched when Order units would laugh it off. Do not try to stop a Rock Golem with any Chaos pantheon units, it will end in infinite sorrow.

and then there's KROLM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZypherIM posted:

Some hero types like to group up together as they go about their business. Most of that happens centered on later hero types, but I believe warriors and rangers both are involved in some of that action.

you're referring to the synergies between rangers/barbarians and healers/fighters, i believe.

the latter synergy is not one that gets a lot of play because if you have healers, you're going to have paladins pretty soon, and there is just flatly no reason to keep fighters around if you have paladins in the hopper.

rangers/barbarians is ok i guess, barbarians suck extremely hard when they are not on a rage bender and rangers don't actually address any of their shortcomings but at least they can suck together. in some maps it is detrimental because turning off the rangers' natural explore AI is not what you want. in others, that's precisely what you're looking to do and having barbs around makes rangers ostensibly usable.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 8, 2019

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Bloodly posted:

Financial stuff

To add to this: A Fairgrounds is extremely useful, both because it generates safe experience for visitors and because it's incredibly popular among heroes, and thus generates a significant income (20-ish gold doesn't sound like much until you consider that your entire population will be prone to visiting as often as they can, which can even lead to throwing out bounties for the sole purpose of giving money to the heroes to fund their level grinding).

Also, a note on hero AI: Rogues are in the minority, in that they're prone to spending their money before checking in at their guilds (in other words, they spend their "taxable" gold instead of their "already-taxed" gold), from what I remember.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Always nice to see more Majesty.

Though I have to say, I'm hoping you do move on to 2 once this is wrapped up; I recall the last one stalled out around That One Mission, which I actually remember the proper strat for this time around.

Edit: While I'd never actually pick KROLM over the orders, I still treasure those missions where they're present anyways, because KROLM is just so dang nice to have.

Unoriginal One fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 9, 2019

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Krolm is actually pretty good just...very different. I did not like it at first because I did not get access to the divine spells but honestly they can be kind of a trap early on as they take up gold you should be spending on expanding and upgrading.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Krolm is for when you want muscle wizards. The same glass cannon killer of super monsters, but with fists instead of spells.

That and the one spell it gives you is amazing to compensate for the lack of other spells.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

FoolyCharged posted:

Krolm is for when you want muscle wizards. The same glass cannon killer of super monsters, but with fists instead of spells.

That and the one spell it gives you is amazing to compensate for the lack of other spells.

"OH YISS, MY MOOSKLES ARE GETTING STRONKER" -Bulk Bogan, famous muscle wizard-

By the way, I can barely hear you in the video, Grey. Anyone else having this problem? Also, I have no idea what's going on.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Today we try the beginner mission from the Northern Expansion - and boy did they crank things up for that!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Lot of this game series (been messing with Majesty 2) seems to be based aruond on how quickly you can secure your 'base' to build up your heroes/ifnrastructure. I'm tryingone mission where I'm in a death spiral as within a minute or two get slammed by beasts.. Which kill peasants who are tryign to build things.. Which means building up your infrastructure is a lot slower - such as heroes to defend. By the time I had my first actual guild up I'd had to try three times and had trained two heroes - both of whom died when the Guild was squished about a minute and a half later.

These games do -not- play nice. They hit very early and fast. I'm also horrendous at it mind. But, for early Majesty 2 howdo you do a super fast buildup of defenses given early missions seem to have my peasants being shivved before they can even bring hte first guard tower online to give a bit of defense?

But, sorry, first mission of Majesty 2 that has a big dragon. He comes, sets the Palace on fire, which mauls the peasants, by the time the peasants are alive again being mobbed by fire lizards, by the time have a tleast one guild semi built the big dragon is back, which destroys the guild, then set upon by the fire lizards.. So, suggestions?

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 9, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

HiKaizer posted:

Krolm is actually pretty good just...very different. I did not like it at first because I did not get access to the divine spells but honestly they can be kind of a trap early on as they take up gold you should be spending on expanding and upgrading.

strategically KROLM is the Chaos pantheon taken to its extreme. KROLM is unspeakably quick strategically, you can get what amounts to your end game build up and humming in probably about half the time it would take for a full Order build to come out. but in terms of ability it caps out extremely quick. i shudder to think of trying to handle most of the bosses in this game with only KROLM, especially the bosses that free spawn enemies.

or, to put it another way: if you are expanding and upgrading that much after you get KROLM you have missed the point of KROLM. the point of KROLM is to throw your back into KROLMing full time and pray that this is enough for what awaits you (preferably you pray to KROLM).

wedgekree posted:

Lot of this game series (been messing with Majesty 2) seems to be based aruond on how quickly you can secure your 'base' to build up your heroes/ifnrastructure. I'm tryingone mission where I'm in a death spiral as within a minute or two get slammed by beasts.. Which kill peasants who are tryign to build things.. Which means building up your infrastructure is a lot slower - such as heroes to defend. By the time I had my first actual guild up I'd had to try three times and had trained two heroes - both of whom died when the Guild was squished about a minute and a half later.

i remember this dingus. the outside-the-box solution is to build most of your stuff a good distance away from the castle, because the boss will continually target the castle. yes, you are going to have to heal through the raids, but you can limit collateral damage by pushing out as quick as possible. your first guild will have to be nearby, but that doesn't mean all of them do. definitely do not build your marketplace close to the castle, build it out of the blast zone and drop some guard posts on it instead.

your first guild should probably be the cleric's guild, if my memory serves me right a lot of the ambient nerds around your castle are undead. use small reward flags nearby to get them to reveal enough land to build on, then get the warrior's guild down. after the warrior's guild is down, nestle the marketplace right near its entrance, so you can use Call-To-Arms to keep it safe if need be. once you have two warriors and two clerics, they should be able to hold the line enough for you to get a foothold.

do not hesitate. as you said, you don't have a ton of time to screw around. be decisive and have a plan going in.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 9, 2019

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

thetruegentleman posted:

By the way, I can barely hear you in the video, Grey. Anyone else having this problem? Also, I have no idea what's going on.

No, you're not. Bit late on this; I wanted to be sure it was still the case in the latest video.

Speaking of which, it kinda looks like the expansion expects players to have completed a significant percentage of the original game before even starting it, if its idea of a beginner quest is "throw multiple enemy heroes at you, all of which are significantly higher level than most heroes ever get, with no time to build up your forces beforehand." At least it has the small mercy of only sending one at a time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Coolguye posted:

(preferably you pray to KROLM).

I seldom pray to him, he doesn't listen.

CptWedgie posted:

No, you're not. Bit late on this; I wanted to be sure it was still the case in the latest video.

Speaking of which, it kinda looks like the expansion expects players to have completed a significant percentage of the original game before even starting it, if its idea of a beginner quest is "throw multiple enemy heroes at you, all of which are significantly higher level than most heroes ever get, with no time to build up your forces beforehand." At least it has the small mercy of only sending one at a time...

The expansion definitely assumes this and will attempt to knock your teeth in from the word go. "Beginner" expansion missions mean you start of with some new stuff so you can learn it. Here it was outposts and bazaars.