Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
Your voice in the Part 13 video has some crazy echoing going on. The game audio seems fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Quest for the Ring

Right, I said no restarts, but I had to leave this in to show how BS the random placement can be!

SOLarian posted:

Your voice in the Part 13 video has some crazy echoing going on. The game audio seems fine.

hmm, thats odd.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I think your mic recording or processing messed up on this episode, because your voice is stuttering a lot and it's hard for me to listen to.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

HiKaizer posted:

I think your mic recording or processing messed up on this episode, because your voice is stuttering a lot and it's hard for me to listen to.

Very much this. You might need to replace your microphone.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The mike is fine, it ls my bloody computer. Ever since a big update a month or so ago, They decide to go robotic at random times.
I really need to check the vids after I've done them, but i keep forgetting.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Here we go again, my voice works, but no game sound. Sorry!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So when I mentioned that dwarven towers dont have scaling costs, this map was one I was thinking of for applying that. The enemy town goes bad when the ring drops, and its hilarious if there's a ring of "defensive" ballista towers around their castle.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Who will be the hero the kingdom needs to get the ring to the magical site to destory it and save the kingdom? The Knight? the ranger? the Gnome?

This one turns into a LOTR knockoff!

FoolyCharged posted:

So when I mentioned that dwarven towers dont have scaling costs, this map was one I was thinking of for applying that. The enemy town goes bad when the ring drops, and its hilarious if there's a ring of "defensive" ballista towers around their castle.

Yeah, that would have been interesting to try!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Oh man, I played the poo poo out of this game. Re: Gnomes/Dwarves/Elves, I agree that gnomes are the best, although there's one mission that I tried maybe a million times before realizing that you pretty much had to have dwarves for it.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
For artifact retrieval missions: I always found it useful to put an Explore bounty right next to the target item. That way, your guys have a reason to go there, and when they get the bounty they go "oh hey, there's a thing here, I should probably go pick that up."

Granted, for this one that runs the risk of attracting an enemy hero instead of your own, but it seems to work fairly consistently, in my experience.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Today's problem, hordes of Goblins raiding my people - the solution? DEATH!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Lets go questing for a crown!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 23, 2019

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Grey Hunter posted:

Lets go questing for a crown!

You messed up the link. This goes to the Goblin Hordes video.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Fixed!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We wander into the Dark Forest. Which seems like just the place a king should be going!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Witch king must be destroyed!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 27, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Everything about the Witch King makes me angry. That is all.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Grey Hunter posted:

Why do the last couple videos have giant sections of black screen with nothing happening at the end?

Also: Pretty sure you messed up the link again.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

It seems the lich Queen has a problem with us now.

CptWedgie posted:

Why do the last couple videos have giant sections of black screen with nothing happening at the end?

Also: Pretty sure you messed up the link again.

Fixed.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Grey Hunter posted:

Finally getting around to watching some of these! One thing I noticed right quick is that you haven't adjusted your tax collectors at all. What I mean is if you increase the 'minimum' pick-up, they'll only go out to a building with that much cash around. This is pretty important for having a collector quickly hauling back money from marketplaces and the like, instead of visiting 25 tiny houses with 10g each in them.

You also get 1 bonus tax collector for every 5 of [inn/blacksmith/library] you make (and maybe something else?). Since you'll probably have 1 of each of those, building 2 more inns if needed can be decent (and they also generate ok income).

Also, don't forget your divine spells! Tossing out some support for higher level heroes that are in a tough fight can definitely pay off.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 27, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

It's time to go after Brashnards sphere of power! everyone else has apparently failed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Brashnard’s sphere is so abruptly anime I can’t help but love the mission

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Krolm requires a different mindset/approach to really shine. A lot of it is about being really effective with your economy. For example, throwing down 2 guard towers and getting arrows isn't bad, but an early Krolm! would have probably kept all your barbarians alive, giving them better levels and costing less overall. In general you want to keep enough cash on hand to Krolm! in emergencies: when a wave of beholders comes in, Krolm! lets your guys mulch them quick.

You also noticed that barbs don't care too much about spending money or depositing it in their guild, which makes reward flags more costly. On the other hand, they're a ton more aggressive by default so you don't need to use flags as much.

(also increase the minimum pickup on your tax collectors!)

One of the huge benefits for Krolm! is that your heroes move really fast under it, so they move around and clear out your town and stuff real fast. Actually, you didn't use Krolm! at all in this video! Any threat that is going to kill 3+ heroes is worth krolming in general. The raw cost of those heroes is most of what you spend, but you're keeping high level guys instead of recruiting level ones.

This is a pretty fun mission that you can definitely muddle through, but learning to embrace the rage makes it a blast instead of frustrating.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
The way I see it, Barbarians are a trap unit. They're almost as frail as Wizards, they don't have ranged attacks to compensate, and they prevent you from using any of the other religions (some of which are absurdly powerful).

It doesn't help that, as far as I've seen, there is nothing Krolm can do that at least two other religions can't do better, or that literally all the other religions cover more roles than Krolm. In fact, I feel that a Warrior's Guild covers nearly everything Krolm brings to the table on its own!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

CptWedgie posted:

The way I see it, Barbarians are a trap unit. They're almost as frail as Wizards, they don't have ranged attacks to compensate, and they prevent you from using any of the other religions (some of which are absurdly powerful).

It doesn't help that, as far as I've seen, there is nothing Krolm can do that at least two other religions can't do better, or that literally all the other religions cover more roles than Krolm. In fact, I feel that a Warrior's Guild covers nearly everything Krolm brings to the table on its own!

That sounds like the sort of assessment a tiny girly-man would make. KROOOLLLMM!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

CptWedgie posted:

as i said before, the entire thing is a question of how much power you need and how much money and time you have.

if you need the heaviest guns you can bring to bear, then no, of course krolm will not be the best choice. barbarians are far, far, far, far easier to get than most temple units though, both in terms of time required to build the temple and cost to toss it up, however, so if you need a big gun NOW rather than a heavier gun LATER, krolm makes sense.

they're not a trap, they're just optimizing for a solution that most strategy players don't go for right away - the hit them hard and hit them fast strategy.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

CptWedgie posted:

A level one warrior costs 100g more, and doesn't have the ability to punch down dragons. Yeah a lone lvl 1 barbarian will die to a dragon, but very few other hero types will take one down with 3-4 level 1 heroes.
Warriors also have an ai prioritizing defending what you have revealed wheras barbarians are all about fighting anything in sight, and if things are out of sight will go exploring so they can fight more poo poo. They are much more offensive by default.

That said, the comparative lack of heroes compared to other temples giving you 3 guilds at base cost to krolm's 1 is an issue. The expansion did a cool move and upped the barbarians per temple to 6 to help compensate for that.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Different buildings also cost different amounts for each additional one. Krolm temples stay pretty cheap for making more, though after like 4 you're really at a function of "do I have enough gold to krolm everything that might be a threat for the rest of the map (y/n)", because 16 barbarians kill basically anything.

The really big super duper important part is the actual rage buff. The other gods can get away without spending cash on their spells (though smart usage makes a big difference on hard missions), but krolm requires you to use the buff because otherwise some threats just kill too many dudes.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I continue to search for the sphere pieces.

In a bizarre move, I decide to render the video for Part 2 of the Dragons tomb, skipping part 2 of this and part 1 of the tomb. me this morning was very confused and angry with myself. but at least I noticed!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Tomb of the motherfucking dragon lord. hope you like ever increasing waves of Dragons!!!!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah hang on let me call my fly krypta homegirls and you bet your rear end i'll like dragons

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

SO Many Dragons....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Today Darkness falls - to my heroes!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I work to reclaim the fertile planes!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

One thing I've found that helps a lot on these missions that start you off with lots of gold, a wizards guild, and big waves of enemies. Pump that wizards guild up to level 3 pronto. Lightning storm is really good at mulching these giant balls of monsters and you'll be casting in town so you don't even need that many wizard towers to be able to cast it defensively. It's expensive, but two casts can take down several of those rock giants and buy your heroes the breathing room they need. Or one blast can just take out a huge portion of drat near any other wave.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Day of reckoning.

Yes, lets just a mission where you fight EVERYONE.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

"That was pretty brutal, but we made it"
-this_lp.mp3

This map is pretty brutal and the witch king being the first in means the difficulty gets a hard swing because if he runs off into the fog like he likes to do you can wind up drowned in spiders and another boss. Or you can do what you did and find the temple to Fergus fast and turn them into guards.

And I've never seen the cyclops spawn, despite him being the mission icon. I assume hes in there, I just miss him every time.

If you're doing a lot of extorting like this map, the rogues guild gives you more of the gold if you upgrade it in addition to offering weapon poisoning for sale.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

He is, but you’re correct in that if you manage to get to him, you are already potent enough that he is no more threatening than one of the chaff thrown up in the wave he invades in.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ive been ill, so here is a twofer

Trade Routes

Clash of Empires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grey i can't help but notice that you're doing a lot of LPs at the same time but i can only find Majesty and Rule the waves here on SA.

Am i missing the threads about the ww2, ww1 and wahtever rise to ruins might be?